PDA

View Full Version : Info: Artist Announcements Forum

bronzino
02-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Ladies and gents, please note that we have changed the forum description of Artist Announcements to better clarify the intended purpose of that forum: It is supposed to be reserved for announcements about new resins and paint slot availability.

Yes, we had all manner of stuff being posted there, and no, it's not a big deal that we veered a little off course. But I'd like to get back on course, if that's even possible on a forum that tolerates - heck, even welcomes -thread derails, as we do. ;)

Any questions? Shoot me a PM!

E

kyg
02-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Is it only limited to new resins? What if we've sculpted a new china edition? :)

LesliKathman
02-04-2010, 05:44 AM
I was thinking the same thing, Karen. I suspect what Liz means is that it's for announcing items new to the market, as opposed to secondary market sales. Is that right?

Lesli

Keren
02-04-2010, 08:08 AM
And what about tack/rider/prop artists - we like to announce new items too!

Keren

bronzino
02-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Sorry guys I saw this in the morning and forgot to respond this eve. Will get catch up tomorrow when I am not on this horrid iPhone.

Lynda Gillette
02-05-2010, 03:02 PM
And what about tack/rider/prop artists - we like to announce new items too!

Keren

Yes, agreed.

Arabesque
02-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Yes, agreed.

I'd like to third that! What about us tackmakers? If you're going to call the board Artist Announcements and limit to information about releasing models, then maybe it should be called Model Horse Artist Announcements. But I can guarantee us tackmakers are going to be begging for a place of our own to announce our new releases and open tack/prop slots for people if it comes to that. :)

If you consider posting information about tack/prop items and such a way that this board has gone off course then maybe we should have separate subtitle sections/a division on the Artist Announcement board so it's more organized? :dunno

bronzino
02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Mmm, the forum has been used typically for resin announcements, tack actually seem to come up very often and I'm not sure I can remember seeing china in there. What is "off course" is that we're seeing adverts for one-off customs, and props for OFs. This isn't all about running off the tackmakers, FCOL. :lol I don't think anybody's going to have an objection (and never has) to people showing just-completed items in the normal forums. If you want to sell it and it's a one-off piece, please put it in Sales.

LesliKathman
02-08-2010, 05:12 AM
It is to announce "editions", whatever the medium, correct? So I could announce there that Blackberry Lane is releasing Vixen in china, but it wouldn't be the place to post each one as it sells?

Lesli

kyg
02-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Maybe we don't really need this forum at all. Each artist could just be posting news about whatever they've got going on, to the forum appropriate their media. Like, a new resin edition should be announced in Resins, new tack over in the Tack/Props forum? The main thing I liked about this one, was that it was a free one that everyone could see, hence more eyeballs on your announcement! :)

Keren
02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Mmm, the forum has been used typically for resin announcements, tack actually seem to come up very often and I'm not sure I can remember seeing china in there. What is "off course" is that we're seeing adverts for one-off customs, and props for OFs. This isn't all about running off the tackmakers, FCOL. :lol I don't think anybody's going to have an objection (and never has) to people showing just-completed items in the normal forums. If you want to sell it and it's a one-off piece, please put it in Sales.

Aaah - but all tack is pretty much a one-off :)

Keren

bronzino
02-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I apologize for not staying with this thread you guys. I've been helping with the photo show. And I just got an iPhone, which I do not seem to be able to use for typing well. I "fat finger" everything! :(

Maybe we don't really need this forum at all. Each artist could just be posting news about whatever they've got going on, to the forum appropriate their media. Like, a new resin edition should be announced in Resins, new tack over in the Tack/Props forum? The main thing I liked about this one, was that it was a free one that everyone could see, hence more eyeballs on your announcement! :)

You're heading towards the thinking, here, Karen - because it is larger than just this one forum. AA is a difficult forum to moderate and maintain because it is exceptional, and if we don't keep the margins fairly well defined, we're undermining our paid subscribers. It appears from our management history that this free AA forum was supposed to serve as a one-time, free one-stopper for "here's my new sculpt" announcements. Sculptors could post sales details there. But that was the limit of sales announcements we would permit in the free forums.

We have never disallowed people from showing off new things they have made in other forums. It happens all the time. But if you want to attach a price to it and offer it for sale, it has to go in Sales, unless it is a new sculpture. If it's a custom, a tack item, a painted resin, or OFP item, it needs to be advertised as "for sale" in our paid Sales forums. Sales can be seen by everyone, including people who aren't paid subscribers, by design - it's just that only paid subscribers can create ads there.

If we don't limit AA to "new sculpts," we have basically the entire array of things for sale open to being advertised in AA (and slowly, that's what is happening). And then people will very correctly ask: what's the sense of limiting this privilege to artists, anyway? Why not just let everybody sell anything there? You end up at a very slippery slope. If we keep it at "new sculpts," we've got easily recognizable limitations on what goes in AA, and the remainder of "for sale" items go in Sales.

That's the balance we're trying to strike. Of course the limitations aren't about penalizing any particular group of producers; I'm a CMG nerd of the first order and I have a small tack collection of Regine Nikolaidis' stuff that I nurture very quietly. Mary is a performance nut. So there you go. :)

Arabesque
02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Fair enough, though I think the name should be changed to "Model Horse Artist Announcements" or "New Sculpture Release Announcements" something to that effect to save from confusion because many of the prop and tack makers out there also consider themselves "artists" and also have things we want to announce.

So another question, if I have announcements pertaining to costume slot openings or openings to take orders on halters an such I should be posting in the sales forums, or is it okay to post in the tack forum? And if I add new "How-To" tutuorials, or have a new website to announce where do I post that information? I guess I have no problem using the Tack Forum for those kind of announcements but in the past it seems the mods have been really strict about sales-type ads being posted there. So where are us tack artists allowed to post our annoucements of that nature? :dunno

bronzino
02-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Fair enough, though I think the name should be changed to "Model Horse Artist Announcements" or "New Sculpture Release Announcements" something to that effect to save from confusion because many of the prop and tack makers out there also consider themselves "artists" and also have things we want to announce.

I agree - we've suggested this to Mary.

So another question, if I have announcements pertaining to costume slot openings or openings to take orders on halters an such I should be posting in the sales forums, or is it okay to post in the tack forum?

Sales please, Melissa, until we come up with a better idea. :)

And if I add new "How-To" tutuorials, or have a new website to announce where do I post that information?

Speaking strictly for myself - tutorials I definitely want to see in the regular Tack forums. Oh I suppose they might have the happy secondary effect of drawing people to a professional's website, but I do not want to start splitting hairs here. :wink And eventually, we'll have "articles" software going, so these kinds of things can be posted there as well.

A new website - I think that can go in the regular forums as well. Anything that isn't a direct attempt to move goods is fine in the regular forums, IMO. IOW, if you are going to mention that the item is for sale and attach a price to it, and/or link to MH$P ad, put in sales. Otherwise, I am OK with the material going in the regular tack (or prop) forum.

Arabesque
02-13-2010, 11:38 PM
I agree - we've suggested this to Mary.

Sales please, Melissa, until we come up with a better idea. :)

Speaking strictly for myself - tutorials I definitely want to see in the regular Tack forums. Oh I suppose they might have the happy secondary effect of drawing people to a professional's website, but I do not want to start splitting hairs here. :wink And eventually, we'll have "articles" software going, so these kinds of things can be posted there as well.

A new website - I think that can go in the regular forums as well. Anything that isn't a direct attempt to move goods is fine in the regular forums, IMO. IOW, if you are going to mention that the item is for sale and attach a price to it, and/or link to MH$P ad, put in sales. Otherwise, I am OK with the material going in the regular tack (or prop) forum.

Alright, sounds good! Thanks for your help :)