PDA

View Full Version : Info: Major Blab upgrade very soon - please check here for more info on what you can expect

Mary
02-21-2010, 11:00 AM
:puter :woohoo
If all stays on track Blab will undergo
the **major** upgrade later this week.

Blab will be offline for the upgrade, quite likely for a full day.

Probably one day Thursday-Sunday, as soon as all is prepared.

Will keep you updated !!!

I wanted to let members know now, even though there is always a possibility that something comes up to delay it.
Hopefully I can make it as streamlined and uncomplicated as possible ... but it is in fact a rather complicated upgrade.

More will be posted on what you can expect post upgrade!

This will be the biggest change to Blab's appearance in 6 years ...
but Blab is still Blab, and it is still the members and the forums
that make Blab what it is!!!

:woohoo :woohoo :woohoo

:gallop click here for more on Blab 2010 (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98135) :gallop

Register for emails on Blab's offline/online status here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MHBstatus/

We don't spam from this list! :grin

If the offline status lasted a full day,
perhaps 3 updates for eta online. :)

WileyT
02-21-2010, 11:15 AM
:woohoo I can't WAIT! :grin

Nightmare
02-21-2010, 11:17 AM
A...whole...day...:bigeyes. I seriously hope I don't :explode

Legacy
02-21-2010, 11:25 AM
:yaymiller Can't wait to see what the new Blab looks like. And the best part is, I won't have much internet access anyway for those three days!!

Alyssa
02-21-2010, 12:16 PM

:yeahthat

elfling
02-21-2010, 01:04 PM
:bigeyes:yikes 24 hours. Without Blab. :thud I'll go crazy!

spottedponies
02-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I hope I can survive!!!

lonesomeglorylover
02-21-2010, 03:35 PM

:yeahthat

I hope it's on like... a Friday or something, or a Saturday. A day where I can go out and do stuff. :lol

Mary
02-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Register for emails on Blab's offline/online status here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MHBstatus/

We don't spam from this list! :grin

If the offline status lasted a full day,
perhaps 3 updates for eta online. :)

rocket
02-21-2010, 04:58 PM
I hope yours goes better then the other forum I am a member of did. So shall cross my toes as I need my fingers to type and wish you the best of luck with it.

Eowin
02-21-2010, 05:16 PM

OMG! me too! :thud

But the upgrades sound great!

Mary
02-21-2010, 05:18 PM
I hope yours goes better then the other forum I am a member of did. So shall cross my toes as I need my fingers to type and wish you the best of luck with it.
Blab has been through several upgrades successfully. The first one was also a major upgrade, although the appearance was not as dramatic. Step 1 of any upgrade is to make a complete backup copy of the site ... so if worst came to worst, I'd simply turn on the pre-upgrade version and we'd just pick up where we left off. :yes :grin

lonesomeglorylover
02-21-2010, 06:47 PM
QQ:

Are we still going to have the little option at the very bottom left to switch back to this lay out?

Stitch
02-21-2010, 07:19 PM
We are getting that virtual sauna and hot tub feature put in right mary? ;)

rocket
02-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Blab has been through several upgrades successfully. The first one was also a major upgrade, although the appearance was not as dramatic. Step 1 of any upgrade is to make a complete backup copy of the site ... so if worst came to worst, I'd simply turn on the pre-upgrade version and we'd just pick up where we left off. :yes :grin
Sadly so is the site I am a mod on, the upgrade was fine but then the server fried and lost info, took a week to get back up. I wish you best of luck and hope it all goes well, it is no fun when your favorite place to hang is not there for you.

Oh I shall bring champagne to celebrate.

Horse Lady 6
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM

:yeahthat Eeek! :randommil

Mary
02-21-2010, 10:21 PM
QQ:

Are we still going to have the little option at the very bottom left to switch back to this lay out?
That option is for color selections- it won't back out the upgrade, although that may not be what you meant. Blab will still be a Basic Blab Blue, but it won't be exactly this blue. :hubba :grin The forum will still be the current essential Blab, just stepped up a bit on round corners and such. :)

In time Blab should have alternate color schemes available for selection. But blue will always be available. :yes

We are getting that virtual sauna and hot tub feature put in right mary? ;):thumbsup Along with the automatic drinks machine, and a chef to keep the h'ordouvres coming! Bring Your Own Towel (BYOT.) :wink :lol

MBPearls
02-21-2010, 11:36 PM
It's like Christmas all over again! :snowflake

ravensgate
02-21-2010, 11:39 PM
I hate when Blab is down but I get sooooooooooooooooo much done!!!:lol

NoLineFarm
02-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Please though, don't leave us on dial up behind. I always fear it'll get harder to use for us with slow connections as that seems to be the way the rest of the internet is going.

Intothesunstudio
02-22-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm probably the only party pooper, but I like blab just the way it is. I'm not fond of the new "modern" look previewed in the 2010 thread and I still miss the old banner. I also wish there was a way to choose which look you like and not just a color scheme.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Man O War
02-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm probably the only party pooper, but I like blab just the way it is. I'm not fond of the new "modern" look previewed in the 2010 thread and I still miss the old banner. I also wish there was a way to choose which look you like and not just a color scheme.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You aren't the only one. :)

I remember when we got rid of the previous layout and replaced it with the current one. I didn't like it at first, but I eventually got used to it. With the new one I guess I'll just have to wait and see. As of now, it seems too....sterile? I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't really feel like Blab.

Mary
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Some good questions ... why do we upgrade if Blab is basically working well?

Several reasons ...

- add functions - many of the post editing wizzbees; sorting pm's; customizing profiles with colors; and the upcoming articles and alternate forum color selections ... (the last few upgrades have primarily added desperately needed administrative functions that aren't visible to members)

- improve performance - upgraded software is faster and has more security

And two reasons that force upgrades that might otherwise be skipped ...

- Blab's software provider has announced that shortly they will no longer support older versions, only upgraded versions.

- Currently the universal code standard for all web pages is changing, and more and more web pages in older code will not work properly on more and more user browsers.

The last one is the underlying reason that Blab's software provider has undergone a massive code re-write, and pushed all their customers to adopt it. And while they're at it they are adding articles, and a lot of new bells & whistles, some visible to members and some only to administrators.

Basically the world changes. Changing and adapting are part of a happy future. :grin One of my goals for Blab has been to keep the infrastructure reasonably current, with the least possible inconvenience and the most possible functionality for the members. In the end it's not about the code, it's about y'all. :D

Mary
02-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Just a note ... upgrade/offline day is looking as if it will most probably be Friday or Saturday. Slight caveat that a few things have to be in place before then, but that's the most likely. Wanted to give you a heads up, I know some of you have things going on Blab that you like to be able to plan. :)

NoLineFarm
02-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Oh gosh, I hope it is Saturday. I'll be gone and feel no pain :lol!

Kristi Hale
02-24-2010, 10:59 PM
I belong to another board that also uses vBulletin, and they just underwent an upgrade this week, too. It now looks like that Blab Beta picture. I figured there was something going on with vBulletin to make all these upgrades necessary. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Sweet Defense
02-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Hoping it's Saturday! Whole 24 hours without Blab, yikes.

WileyT
02-25-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't particularly care when it is since I need to spend less time on the computer, but I sure hope it is *not* the day I get assigned my swap partner! :grin

Edit: By the way, Beatha, I am LOVING that little Chickory in your avatar! I swear, for having not originally liked the sculpture, I sure could conga it. :conga

PolarVrtX
02-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Gosh, I hope it's Saturday too. I can see it now... snowed in tomorrow with no Blab! :randommil

:lol

WileyT
02-25-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm planning on holding off on the house cleaning until the day Blab is offline. :grin

Mary
02-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Y'all are too funny. I hope no one is scheduling their weddings or childbirth around Blab's offline/online schedule. :wink :lol

This may not be the most convenient timing for some of y'all ... right now looking at going offline Friday evening, and hopefully back online Saturday morning, early-ish. Wish I could confirm that timing but there is a risk it can't be started Friday ...

Given the short time I wish I could tell you absolutely that's when it will happen. There are still some things that have to come together and could mess up my plan. If at all possible I want to get it finished as early as possible on Saturday. So that's the deal ... as of now. :)

Sweet Defense
02-25-2010, 10:42 PM
I don't particularly care when it is since I need to spend less time on the computer, but I sure hope it is *not* the day I get assigned my swap partner! :grin

Edit: By the way, Beatha, I am LOVING that little Chickory in your avatar! I swear, for having not originally liked the sculpture, I sure could conga it. :conga

Thanks so much! I didn't like him that much either until I got paint on him. Almost sold him before painting him. Now I really like the mold.

Mary
02-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Well darn ... upgrade postponed until ... ? Reason: Gallery software not quite ready for the upgrade as was expected. ETA on that is 'any day' ... re that software provider, they are still testing the final version.

If I upgrade now we will loose access to the Gallery until that add-on software is fully ready. At this time I don't think there is a reason to do that, when we can wait and upgrade all of it at one time.

Advance notice will be given, but this time I'll wait till Gallery is actually ready.

:)

Stitch
02-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Any Day... that could be like any day now lol

White_Horse
02-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Weekend please...weekend...I need something to read in all the extra time I have at the office during the day. :lol

rocket
02-27-2010, 11:21 PM
That stinks but better to wait and do it all at once. Next weekend would be good, I shall be either at Girl Scout Cookie booth sales or unloading a tractor trailer of said cookies. LOL

Nicole
03-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Any idea yet when it will be?

Mary
03-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Right now I have a lot going on off-Blab. The upgrade needs some time and focus to be sure it's done properly, especially upgrading/integrating the gallery. I've been looking for a time for the last couple of weeks ... will keep looking. Will let you know! :)