PDA

View Full Version : Moved threads

Jacqueline
05-12-2010, 08:32 PM
I was thinking, many nonmembers post in a section they can access, but then the thread is moved. I think the person should be able to see the thread, they dont have to have access to everything, just put it in the subscribed section.

camaro88lover
05-12-2010, 08:53 PM
If they have access to see the thread, than the paying members kinda get beat out of their membership fees.

Jacqueline
05-13-2010, 09:38 PM
No, I mean, they could just see their thread, not anything else. and they would only see it if it was moved. Kinda get what I mean? Because it seems like if someoe had a question, and the thread was moved, they would never get the answer...

camaro88lover
05-13-2010, 09:40 PM
No, I mean, they could just see their thread, not anything else. and they would only see it if it was moved. Kinda get what I mean? Because it seems like if someoe had a question, and the thread was moved, they would never get the answer...

They could get the answer if they were a paid member. If they could see any of their threads, even if they were moved, then what's the point of becoming a paid member?

ravensgate
05-13-2010, 10:29 PM
They could get the answer if they were a paid member. If they could see any of their threads, even if they were moved, then what's the point of becoming a paid member?

Yeah, that. I get a little aggravated when I see threads that start with 'Well, I was gonna put this 'here' but don't have access to that forum, so I'll put it here'. It's blatant disrespect for those of us who pay for a membership. The membership fees here are next to nothing and something I GLADLY pay. There are rules to the forum and new members are always pointed in the direction of the FAQs. Unfortunately, some just don't read them half the time.

bronzino
05-15-2010, 09:35 AM
What Jaime and Sharon said. Let's face it - if getting the information is that darned important, then paying for the subscription shouldn't be an issue, right? :)

Also, as a technical matter, I don't think there is a way to make it so people can see their own threads but nothing else in a forum.

Mary
05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Here's some more information ... it isn't quite so bad for newbies ...

For the first 7 days of membership newbies have access to all paid forums on a trial basis. When their membership is approved they get an email and a pm explaining their trial period. And what they will have access to as free members. During the trial period most will also get a reminder email that their expanded access is ending soon.

In addition, newbies also have access to a special forum just for them for the first 90 days of membership. People can get some extra help from our mentors and mods. And of course they can contact myself or any mods with questions about a moved thread, and perhaps get some latitude to view it for a short period. (There's no way to give permissions to only one thread in a restricted forum.)

In all fairness to all members, to discuss paid topics, people past the initial trial period need a paid sub. Each time a thread is moved into a paid area the op is contacted with an explanation.

Part of management's job is to keep it fair to those who pay for subs. Making a newbie mistake is treated with consideration, most understand right away. But if someone of any length of membership is deliberately trying to get around a paid forum restriction that is very unfair to the paid members. Fortunately that doesn't happen often, it's usually just not having read the rules.

Mary
05-16-2010, 12:01 PM
I was thinking, many nonmembers post in a section they can access, but then the thread is moved. I think the person should be able to see the thread, they dont have to have access to everything, just put it in the subscribed section.These situations are handled with considerate communications with the newbie. The communications aren't visible to the Blab public. :)