PDA

View Full Version : Question: The show ring made public?

dapple
05-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I haven't yet been able to join the site and become a paid subscriber. I understand about keeping a bunch of stuff for the paying folks, but it seems to me that The Show Ring could be made public since it deals with stuff most people might be interested in seeing. I sure don't know where else to go to find stuff. It seems like a pain to have to go looking all over the internet.

Dapple

Mary
05-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Liz said it here, a year ago. (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?69450-WHY-CAN-T-ALL-MEMBERS-HAVE-ACCESS-TO-PAID-FORUMS)

As a new Blab member, it's a good idea to please have a look at the sticky threads in Suggestions, and scan the FAQ's for relevant topics and read those. Once you're more familiar with the background of Blab it will help explain why things are organized as they are. :)

You might find that a paid sub to Blab is indeed a worthwhile option to having to search the internet for great information found in Blab paid forums.

cheseri
05-16-2010, 12:14 PM
honestly there are good reasons to make just about every section public, but there has to be a line somewhere. Some forums don't make anything at all public; it's really nice that blab gives people even just a limited ongoing opportunity free of charge. When you can, a paid subscription is TOTALLY worth it!

Mary
05-16-2010, 12:17 PM
honestly there are good reasons to make just about every section public, but there has to be a line somewhere. Some forums don't make anything at all public; it's really nice that blab gives people even just a limited ongoing opportunity free of charge. When you can, a paid subscription is TOTALLY worth it!Thank you Lauren! :)

The majority of Blab's active members are free. The free areas of Blab cover a good deal of hobby territory. Blab is glad to offer that much of its material as a service to the hobby, essentially.

Eowin
05-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I look at my membership with Blab as a magazine subscription. I pay for magazines because they have topics relevant to me and my interests. Blab is no different.

While free is always good, I understand that there are expenses related to running Blab that the Average Joe may not be aware of. We have a ton of features vs. many other free forums. When I backed away from the hobby due to real life issues, I let my subscription lapse. Now that I'm back, my paid membership is as well.

I also realize we have a lot of young folks who are involved in the hobby and they may not be able to "afford" a paid membership. My suggestion is save any money you get. Blab membership also makes a great b-day or Christmas gift. There may also be young folks on here who have parents who do not like "purchasing" items or subscriptions on the internet. I understand those worries as well. I want to encourage those young folks to get their parents involved, have them contact Mary or one of the other mods - or heck, even other members like me. I'm a parent and I understand those concerns 100%. Speaking to those who run this forum or those adults who are members will go a long way to alleviating those concerns in paying for online memberships.

Cheers,
Karrie

dapple
05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Well, it is a moot point now for me since I now have a paid membership. 8-)

PixelPerfectStables
11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I understand having a few areas in each section for paid members only, but the fact that NONE of the "Show ring" forums are available to non-paying members seems quite ridiculous. All the other sections appear to have some kind of balance at least. Can't us "poor people" have at least one generic forum for posting about shows? Not everyone who is a non-paying member is under 18, please realize this. Some of us are college students or simply cannot spare money for "extras" like this due to economic status.
However, with the loss of JAH, full-time membership does sound a bit more enticing. (Since there will no longer be money spent on that).
Even if I end up paying for Blab, I'll still feel that anyone who does not have the means to, or doesn't want to invest in a full time account should have at least one "show" forum. I almost cancelled my account when I saw that they were all private. (Showing is one of the biggest parts of collecting for me).

Mary
11-07-2011, 02:14 PM
I understand having a few areas in each section for paid members only, but the fact that NONE of the "Show ring" forums are available to non-paying members seems quite ridiculous. All the other sections appear to have some kind of balance at least. Can't us "poor people" have at least one generic forum for posting about shows? Not everyone who is a non-paying member is under 18, please realize this. Some of us are college students or simply cannot spare money for "extras" like this due to economic status.
However, with the loss of JAH, full-time membership does sound a bit more enticing. (Since there will no longer be money spent on that).
Even if I end up paying for Blab, I'll still feel that anyone who does not have the means to, or doesn't want to invest in a full time account should have at least one "show" forum. I almost cancelled my account when I saw that they were all private. (Showing is one of the biggest parts of collecting for me).

Free members are welcome on Blab! But do keep in mind that someone is paying all the costs, and spending a great deal of time to keep it going, so that you can use it for no cost at all. :grin

And, the majority of active members do not have paid subs and are using Blab for free, as you are. So those who are willing to pay are supporting your use of Blab, and that of all the other free members.

I appreciate that people find Blab a valuable source of info about shows. But of course Blab is not the only option for finding show information on the web. And some of the others are free - someone is paying the cost for the free users on those sites as well. ;)

All costs for Blab are paid by one person. And that person (me) is not rich, at all! :lol Statistically, I am also a "poor person." There is also an extraordinary amount of time that goes in to keeping Blab going and making it interesting and vital, and that means less time that I can spend on things that earn a living.

I respect those that do need to stick to a budget, and can say 'no' to a paid sub. Free members make Blab a great community, and are always welcome on Blab. :woohoo

Legacy
11-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Speaking as a broke college student here, a Blab subscription is definitely NOT a bank breaker. It's $18 a year for infinitely more information than a JAH normally provides. I personally haven't bought a new model in several months because I can't justify it right now, but I just renewed my Blab membership because it's worth it. I guess it all depends on what you are willing to spend money on, but as someone who is scraping by on very little herself I get a bit irked when people start complaining about opening up paid forums.

Mary
11-07-2011, 02:32 PM
And btw ... a new option to make paying a bit easier for some folks is in the works, to be released shortly ... :yes

The forum structure won't change ... just a different option to pay a small amount monthly, rather than all of it all at once. :toothy