PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who miss the Photo section?

Lora
09-07-2010, 11:53 AM
If yes never mind...

One of my favorite aspects of the hobby is taking outdoor photos and I like to see outdoor photos as well. In the past blab had a photo section where I could hope to find some photos .Of course I didn't even find half as many as on german boards...
But now it's gone , so that only competitive areas remain may be... but at least I don't make my photos for competition but for the fun of it....
I do make photos but not as much as i used to, due to time restrictions, but the photos I make , I don't know where to place on Blab.Arena ? Is a bit cramped IMHO... but i did that...
But then why should I pay for subscription ? If I can post my photos without paying in the Arena (and wouldn't know any better place anyway, as the area I used to place them in is gone or closed now)
But i guess I'm the only one or a very small minority so saves me $18 and I post my pics on my HP and on a german board .

bronzino
09-07-2010, 01:18 PM
You can post photos anywhere that is appropriate to the subject matter. So if they are OF plastic halter shots, put them in (free) OF Corral. If they are artist resin halter shots, put them in (paid) artist resin. No different than posts, really. :)

When you say "outdoor" photos, do you mean "scene" photos? If so, I might put those in (paid) Performance Showing or (paid) Props-Dolls-Dioramas. I don't know that the mods would hold you to only putting "show-related items" in those forums.

Lora
09-07-2010, 01:58 PM
photos like that

http://www.modellpferdetreff.de/RettmohrLakeRanch/bilder/Bourton100904/Bourton18.jpg

this could be called a diorama (I havn't created it) , but that is not necessary I make photos on the free field ...

bronzino
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I would call that a "scene" photo, and would put it where I suggested. But ask a mod to be sure. :)

Neat photo by the way!

bronzino
09-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Also Vicky was either reading this thread or reading your mind!

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?109466-Your-favorite-quot-Scene-quot

Lora
09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm not a paid member anymore so can't see that ...

Jacquie
09-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I miss the photos all being in one place. I hate having to jump to all the diff forums. :(

bronzino
09-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Also try searching on the "IMG" tag.

Mary
09-07-2010, 06:20 PM
I agree with Liz' suggestion - that thread in Performance is a great one to see some fun scenes! :photo

Blab is organized into paid/free by topic, so posting photos follows the same logic. The Photos forum was needed earlier in Blab history when enough members were on slow internet connections to protect them from unexpected photos in threads. Threads with photos were moved to Photos. Nowadays some members still have slower connections, but overall the Photos forum is no longer needed in Blab forum logic.
:)

BearsnBugs
09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Yep, I miss it too. :)

Lora
09-08-2010, 03:20 AM
I agree with Liz' suggestion - that thread in Performance is a great one to see some fun scenes! :photo

Blab is organized into paid/free by topic, so posting photos follows the same logic. The Photos forum was needed earlier in Blab history when enough members were on slow internet connections to protect them from unexpected photos in threads. Threads with photos were moved to Photos. Nowadays some members still have slower connections, but overall the Photos forum is no longer needed in Blab forum logic.
:)

I never saw it that way (can't even remember seeing a Thread moved to the photo-section for that reason ) , for me it was the appropiate place to post model horse pictures and to look for model horse pictures , searching for a img- tag is more inconveniance as is searching the whole forum for pics ... I never saw it as a way to help people with slower connections...
I simple don't make my photos for showing or competitions, I make stories sometimes with them , the photo section was the perfect place for it , everything else is a compromise... It's like you want to make an apple-cake but as you don't have apples , you take pears . While you can eat that cake it's still no apple-cake anymore... could go on about Software, Hardware where you have to buy adapter, emulators to make old pieces work (might have been easier tio use, more reliable, beter fitted to your needs etc. ) ...

Keren
09-13-2010, 11:19 AM
I for one would miss Lora's photo-essays - and that is what they really are, not scene photos. Scene photos are about one moment in time, whereas Lora's photos are more like a comic strip - they tell a story about a place, people and horses.

What about opening a new forum - in Off-Topic if necessary - to allow the posting of such photo-essays? While Lora is the only person who does so on Blab, these photo essays are popular with a number of junior sections of the hobby, and it would be great to see other hobbyists exercising their creative talents in this way. How about a Blab Photo-Essay competition??

Keren

Touchstone
09-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Agreed - they are absolutely brilliant and I love them too!

Jane

Lora
09-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks :) , the Photo-forum was perfect for me IMHO, everyone could post pics without all this competition just for fun.That's why I make those photos out of fun , competition would take the fun out of it for me... i saw it as a place for fun in the hobby without having to have the best model, skills whatever , where you don't need a lot of money , may be a bit of fantasy... but that may be the difference , while I don't know a german model horse board without a photo-forum (most even more) , here on blab it seams more to be geared to competition and making money, buying/selling (my impression) .

Mary
10-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Just getting on for Blab business for today! So I'm late to this discussion. :) But members are explaining well! Lora, really, I did think your question was answered at length in Blab support the first time - imo, anyway. The answer isn't changing, so I do hope this thread makes more sense to you. You can certainly post what you are describing, in the appropriate forum. For some you may need paid access.

Photos are like any other content on Blab. They go in forums by topic. Lora, your stories would go in The Refrigerator Door. Yes, it's paid - as was the old Photos forum. If the photos are creative scenes on their own without a full text story (but could have a caption,) if they are intended to be realistic I'd say they go in Performance even if they aren't for shows, or if they are fantasy perhaps The Refrigerator Door. Maybe The Arena - we could have a look at the photos-without-stories and make a determination for all of that kind in the future. I don't know what they are like without seeing them.

Blab has a several forums for non-competitive, non-sales content. Those forums are as busy as members want them to be. The forum with the most posts, the #1 most-traffic'ed forum is: General Off-Topic. Not even about model horses at all! :lol

I think some posters may be forgetting that the old Photos forum was paid-only. Essentially free members were very limited in their ability to post photos, only if there were only a few. Any post that was photo-intensive was moved to the Photos forum, to the dismay of some free members. I've got the disgruntled pm's from members to prove it! :lol

Now photos that are on-topic for a free forum can be posted there in abundance. So actually there is more opportunity for more members to post more photos. Do look at all the forum topics - there are forums for many interests in model horses and off-topic, including simply creative without showing, selling or doing anything but enjoying. :photo :toothy

Lora
10-05-2010, 03:11 AM
I do not have any problem to pay 18$ it's just that I fail to see an appropiate forum where I feel comfortable to post photos, sorry ... The Refridgerator Door-forum belongs to General Off-Topic wich I would see as non-model horse related but I make model horse photos (and I'd love to see some)

Mary
10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
I do not have any problem to pay 18$ it's just that I fail to see an appropiate forum where I feel comfortable to post photos, sorry ... The Refridgerator Door-forum belongs to General Off-Topic wich I would see as non-model horse related but I make model horse photos (and I'd love to see some)Lora. Your question has been answered. Please take that answer and post your stories. Please! :pray

There is absolutely a place for what you want to post on Blab. If there is anything else you want to post and you don't know where it goes, pm me and/or the mods with very brief description of the idea and we'll let you know. Otherwise look at the forum topics - there are over 40 to choose from - and go by that. And keep writing your stories! :)

BearsnBugs
10-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Lora, maybe another solution since you don't want your photos out in an open area would be to post them in a blog on Blab and set it to private? I think you could allow the people you want to view it, I believe. (I don't have a lot of Blab Blog experience - maybe Mary can verify?) It would be a place to post them on Blab so that we can see them, but have more control.

Lora
10-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Never used any Blog either... I think it's something I can post in but noone else ? I was hoping with a model horse photo-forum others would post photos as well there and I'd not only have a place to post my pics but also a place I can see other peoples photos without having to think about if I wanted to see OF-models or Tack or whatever...
I still have my homepage , my own model horse board and accounts in two more german model horse boards where I can post my stories, photos etc. as they all provide at least one forum (if not more) for model horse photos ...
This is Mary's board and I have to accept that I either have to post my pictures in the Refridgerator-forum with the off-topic or in the Arena (what I did once) or I can just post them on my homepage, on my own board ...

Elf
10-06-2010, 11:26 AM
I really miss the photo forum too. I know it isn't coming back. I still miss it though. I don't go into the other forums to look at pictures, and I don't like being bogged down by a bunch of photos that I don't really care about when I search the IMG tag. I personally think that the photo forum was worth keeping. It was one of the few areas of Blab that I used a lot.

So you aren't the only one, Lora!

Lora
10-06-2010, 12:47 PM