PDA

View Full Version : Shift the sales/transaction group up higher?

jasper978
09-13-2010, 06:17 PM
I often forget (which is good for my wallet) to check the sales postings on a regular basis. Often will only do so when I am checking on my own listings even.

So my suggestion is to move the transaction board up higher, maybe immediately after "The Ranch?"

If I am the only one who misses the listings being closer to the model related section, then disregard.

Mary
09-15-2010, 10:49 AM
That's an interesting idea, regarding the forum order. Always interested in what the members would like to see, definitely want people to post their ideas. I am thinking that in this case, sales are important and a lot of people do watch them. Also thinking that Blab is more about all the other stuff, so my first impression is that would come before sales.

I do have another suggestion for you that should make Sales more visible for you. Susbscribe to the forum, and put yourself in the habit first going to "New PMs and Sub Posts." Your new pm's will be at the top, then threads you've subscribed to, then the forums. If one has a blue horseshoe on the left it has new posts & threads.

1 - click on the forum
2 - click the upper right forum frame "Forum Tools"
3 - select Subscribe to Forum, and be sure make the selection in the next screen as well

The image may not be so readable, but it will show you what to look for. :)

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/zimages/howto/ForumSubscribe.png

PolarVrtX
09-15-2010, 10:53 AM
I mostly miss having the lookers/ebay forum higher up. It seems more like a part of Blab discussions rather than strictly sales, which I agree are more separate from the main purpose of Blab. I don't know where else to put it, really, but it's the one I'm always annoyed to have to scroll down to, either that or I forget it is there :lol I will have to try subscribing to it!

The group that seems the most out of order is The Real World, since it's not strictly model horse discussion. I would expect the other more on-topic sections to come first. JMO

jasper978
09-15-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm not always looking to buy, so I wouldn't subscribe or anything (it's not that important to retrain my browsing habits, lol), it's just that when I am searching for something occasionally, I will catch all the other boards EXCEPT Blab's sales area since it's almost at the bottom of the page.

Mary
09-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I mostly miss having the lookers/ebay forum higher up. It seems more like a part of Blab discussions rather than strictly sales, which I agree are more separate from the main purpose of Blab. I don't know where else to put it, really, but it's the one I'm always annoyed to have to scroll down to, either that or I forget it is there :lol I will have to try subscribing to it!

The group that seems the most out of order is The Real World, since it's not strictly model horse discussion. I would expect the other more on-topic sections to come first. JMOI rather agree re The Real World location. I have considered moving it down below all the hobby stuff. That would be a change in the front page screen for everyone to get used to - but maybe we need to do it.

jasper, I think you misunderstood what subscribing to the forum does. It just puts it at the top of your "New PM's and Sub Posts" area - so there is a screen where it is at the top, as you wanted. Not sure if you thought it was doing something else. :toothy

bronzino
09-19-2010, 10:28 AM
I like the idea of moving the Real World location. :)

One of things that's impacting your experience generally (IMO) is that we may need to do some more consolidation of forums, so the index page isn't so scrolly in the first place. Not alot; it's just there are some forums that don't get a lot of traffic (maybe no more than 10 posts per year) and yet they are taking up valuable real estate on the index page. You don't like to move anything off the index page but sometimes you have to, so it makes the board a little easier for everybody to use. Making judgments about this stuff is a balancing act for Mary; hard because everybody has a slightly different idea about what deserves priority. :grin

vBulletin, someday, is going to make it so that users can set their own forum index page order. It wouldn't be that hard for them to do.