PDA

View Full Version : Horses not recieved. Now what?

Raventyde
03-24-2005, 10:43 PM
I have had two unfourtunate incodents in the past year where I've sent out money for horses and not recieved them. Becuase I'm in Canada and the horses were from the US, I'm not sure if I have many option about trying to get the horse or money. I've been buying & trading online for seven years, and this is the first time I've had problems. And twice! What a pain.

I need advice on how to proceede. Any help?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention names here, so I'll simply refer to them as Seller One and Seller Two. Here's how it went down:

Purchased four small horse from Seller One, who seems to be pretty frequent on MH$P, LAST MARCH. Yes, one year ago. Unbenowned to me, she sent them UPS, and valued them at $50 (I paid $20), which prompted a $40 boarder-crossing charge. When I called UPS about it, I was informed that all Seller One had to do call and change the insurence rate, and the price would be recallculated. I emailed Seller One and told her, and she said she'd do it right away. Two weeks later I got notice from UPS that the package had been returned to seller. Over the next year I have been in and out of email contact with the seller, and she has never got back to me promptly, always replying "oh, I'll mail them...", and obviously never has. As I said, she posts frequently on MH$P, and even once contacted me when I had a Skullduggery for trade, not realizing who I was, lol. But in general, I am ignored.

The next story is just as frustrating. From Seller Two I purchased a bunch of bodies last October, and she was very helpfull going back and forth with the post office several times to get the different shipping costs to Canada. The horses were supposed to be sent by surface and insured. After I sent payment, I never heard from her again. I emailed her a few times, then started getting responses from someone who claimed she didn't know what I was talking about, or who Seller Two was (even though they had the same last names) So, no horses, no response, and my money order was cashed, and nothing to show for it.

I did however keep the paper trail for both exchanges, but as I said, becuase I am in Canada and they are in the US, is there anything I can do? It would be really crummy if they've done the same to other people too, I'd really like insight on how to deal with this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Neena ~

wonderwomn
03-25-2005, 02:15 AM
I had this happen last year by a peson in Seattle name Serenty Hallgren. I never got my horses or my money.

I would post publicly asked for a resonse from them on the Sale pages. If you don't hear back go to the MHHR yahoo group and see if anyone else has had any luck with them. And I would post their names.

Lora
03-25-2005, 07:50 AM
I would also post names in public. Then at least they can't do that so easy to someone else again. As long as most people won't mention names in pubblic (or not even telling the story) those type of people feel safe in stealing other people money/horses or whatever again and again. And why helping those bad people to go on doing bad by not mention their names ?

Raventyde
03-25-2005, 01:09 PM
The first seller is Dana Cunningham. She has positive feedback on MHHR.

The second seller is Dee Jones. I've been dealing with a Marta Towne-Jones at the same adress who is catagorically denying that anything could have happened. I'm in the process of re-sending her copies of all transactions - again! - but I have little hope of that helping at this point.

Has anyone else delt with these people?

Neena ~

Raventyde
03-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Here's the latest update on the Dee Jones story.

I emailed again:

I've allready sent you copies of the email transcripts - twice. I received no further response from you either time. I am now attatching the receipt from the money order with proof of endorsement signed by Dee Jones. Thank you.

I recieved this response -

That is not the signature of anyone I know, so who ever got that money
order ,it wasn't anyone here. I've never received any proof from you
that you purchased anything from me. I've asked my family and they
don't know you. Further, the bank listed is not one that we bank at.
I have never sold you anything and the only person who has a similar
name that resides here is 15 years old and therefore unable to enter
into a contract. What horses do you claim you agreed to purchase and
where did you send the money order? Marta towne-Jones

As I mentioned before, I have ALL email transactions, statemest, recietps. I have sent those to her multiple times. She's been putting me off countless times, and the only reason she's responding to me now is becuase I said I was fed up and would file charges. I guess that's what I have to do, becuase I really don't believe/trust anything she's saying, and I know a lot of it is BS.

I don't think being 15 has anything to do about not entering into a contract - this isn't a contract, this is a sale of goods. And, if mother says her daughter is not responsible, then responisibilty falls onto the mother. Just look at the case of the mom who was sued & charged becuse of the illegally downloaded songs her 12-year-old had. Just the same, I would like to know what my leagle rights are. Sure, it was only $58, but that's still a bit of money.

Now then, how do I go about doing that? I am in Canada; does this mean I have to file them in US, as she is a US citizen? Any suggestions? help? info?

Anything at all would be much apprieciated. Thanks in advance!

Neena ~

Lora
03-26-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't know anything about legal rights in canada or US... I would say that if Marta towne-Jones is the mother of Dee Jones she is responsible for that her daughter is doing. She would have to make sure that Dee will ship you the horses or pay the money back. I guess the daughter used a friends bank account to get the money somehow, may be her mother didn't know anything about the deal before... In germany a 15 year old has not the full legal capacity, but I think for buying and selling thinks for 58$ is in her responsibility. Buying and Selling would always including a contract (even if nothing written) btw. I learned then I studied.But doesn't matter a 15 year old is allowed to go in a shop and buy tings for that amount of money all the time, so must be in her rights. and if mother say no , she's not a,llowed, she would have to pay you the 58$ back I guess.But I don't know anything about your possiblities , I'm sorry that I can't help you :( .

CementRoseStudios
03-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Marta towne-Jones

Search this name on MHHR, from what I remember she's ripped many people off..

cbetchya
04-04-2005, 09:27 PM
The first seller is Dana Cunningham. She has positive feedback on MHHR.

I myself have dealt with Dana and she was green light all the way. But that was 3 or more years ago, too. In the last year there have been some yellow/red posts concerning her. I think this is another instance of where not only an archive search should have been done, but an "anyone dealt with" question posted to the list as well.

The second seller is Dee Jones. I've been dealing with a Marta Towne-Jones at the same adress who is catagorically denying that anything could have happened. I'm in the process of re-sending her copies of all transactions - again! - but I have little hope of that helping at this point.

My gut instinct tells me that it's Marta posing as "Dee", but I've no proof of that. However she did rip a lot of people using a false name, Lorealei Jones, which she denied up and down that it was her, that it was no relation to her, that it was the wrong address, etc... but it was PROVEN that Lorealei and Marta are one and the same. The address "Lorealei" used was one Marta had also used, a few years previously, etc... So she was nailed on that one. And if a person *would* use fake names in one instance, they probably wouldn't hesitate to try it again.

And if it is actually her daughter, then it's a poor example she's been shown, and a shame to have her 'good' name ruined in the hobby at the tender age of 15... :flush