PDA

View Full Version : Question: Question for fellow artists on a commission

BaitandSwitch
11-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I offered a Stablemate scale (plastic or resin) painting slot on eBay. It sold for $20.00 and the winning bidder paid. I clearly stated in the auction all of the specifics as well as the colors I was offering. I get an email a few days later from the winner stating that she didn't read the scale being offered until after she had bid and would it be OK to send a Traditional foal instead. I said that would be OK with me and that was that. The model arrives today and it's a Khai resin by Liddy with no prepping done at all. I email the winner letting her know that the resin arrived safe and sound and asking what she had in mind for the paint job. I get an email this evening stating that the pics for the paint job are inside of the box and that the foal is to be just a bit darker that the adult mare shown. I go through the box again and find the pics in the bottom..... Dapple Gray Tobiano.

So here's the problem....I didn't offer Dapples or Gray as choices in my auction as I don't do either of them. I prepped the resin already so it's literally ready to paint at this point. I emailed the winner back stating that I found the pics, however I only offer the colors listed in the auction and Gray/Dapples are not options. I offered to return the prepped resin back and offer a refund minius shipping or to paint her a different color (that I DO offer)....

What would you do? Here's the auction I offered:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160502638443&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

airen
11-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Your auction description is very specific, and clearly states all your conditions. Were it me, i would offer to do what she wants at an additional cost, but since you don't do the color she wants, the options you gave her are completely fair.
Sounds like she didn't bother to read the auction at all!

BaitandSwitch
11-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Your auction description is very specific, and clearly states all your conditions. Were it me, i would offer to do what she wants at an additional cost, but since you don't do the color she wants, the options you gave her are completely fair.
Sounds like she didn't bother to read the auction at all!

Thanks for the reply!
I was thinking the same thing (she didn't read the auction). Ahh why must everything be so difficult? LOL.

smushybanana
11-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Why does she want a dapple grey foal anyway? It doesn't exist (does it??!)

Karenpmc
11-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Why does she want a dapple grey foal anyway? It doesn't exist (does it??!)

Nope!

anniemare
11-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Well, not usually. There have been born-grey babies BUT they are very, very, very and oh, BTW, very uncommon. She did not read you terms, so I would politely reiterate then to her.

Liz
11-12-2010, 08:32 PM
:agreed I think it is really good of you to agree to paint a traditional foal when your auction clearly states SM scale. This is a steal just for the prepping alone! :thud Your finishwork is lovely, adore that black tobiano Jezebel!

Stumbleine
11-13-2010, 02:20 AM
Your auction was very specific. I think it was a bit rude of the seller to send you a traditional resin in the first place when the auction was for a stablemate. It's the seller's job to be specific in their listings but it's the buyers obligation to READ the description.

I know I might make myself sound a bit harsh, but I think I'd personally offer a $10, or half refund, not a refund minus shipping. Only because, you prepped her model. Prepping a resin really isnt fun unless you love prepping resins (or it's the rare beautifully seamless resin.) Now she's getting a free prepping service...unless it's a shoddy/quick prep job, I wouldnt have done that for free. She didnt read, ANYTHING, apparently.

On the otherhand, it might be more trouble than its worth to keep that 10 bucks. People who dont read listings completely also tend to be the somewhat unreasonable people so ....

BaitandSwitch
11-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the input ladies! She emailed me back this morning station that she doesn't want dapples now, just a gray Tobiano foal.....WTF? I feel like somehow i'm not "getting through" to her.

shadow's storm
11-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Tell her to fart and release some of the air in her head and pick a color you offer. WOW, some people are just hard to get through to.

Stitch
11-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the input ladies! She emailed me back this morning station that she doesn't want dapples now, just a gray Tobiano foal.....WTF? I feel like somehow i'm not "getting through" to her.

Maybe you need to e-mail her in picture form of all the things you can do. I can do this this and this. PERIOD seriously.. was this chick smokin some plastic when she hit the bid now button?

Desmodus
11-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I have a gut feeling the buyer is trying to steamroll you into doing everything her way despite your terms being clearly defined in the auction. In essence she's just trying to get something for nothing. If she has her heart set on a color you don't offer then I would tell her, sorry, you have to cancel the painting slot, send the resin back, and only give her a 50% refund since you prepped the resin which was 50% of the work.

Mary
11-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, I have a gut feeling she knows nothing about horses or the hobby. :zow She may not have known what a SM or a Trad was (although the foal does sound like a sneaky way under the bar,) and she may not know what "gray" is.

If I were in your shoes, that model would be in the mail back to her with a refund, and I'd eat the return shipping and forget the prepping, just to be rid of her. You've shown remarkable patience, I just ain't got it. I guess I'm not good with people who whip other people around the way she is doing - knowingly or in un-knowingly. :tsktsk :lol <== hysterical laughter, which would be my reaction while stuffing model back into box and slapping tape on box