PDA

View Full Version : My Suggestion

skidboots
01-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Allow the person who created a thread to delete the thread in its entirety when that person feels that leaving said thread in plain sight is somehow detrimental.

Mary
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Blab has a long history of principals behind the rule of not deleting threads. Generally speaking, Blab's core principals are that other members may disagree so don't expect only chime-ins; expect to be offended at times but don't take it personally; Blab can be edgy and even somewhat confrontational, but members are expected to maintain maturity, whatever their chronological age.

From Blab's founding in late 2003:

Moderators rarely delete or conceal what was posted, unless it is to do with private information or another hobbyist, or language outside WOYM.
Even rules violations stay on view. A mod comment may clarify the violation so members will understand.
From the beginning of Blab, the core principal is to think before hitting submit, because what you say will be on view for a long, long time.

This is at the core of what Blab is, and as promised through the over 7 years of Blab when other changes were made, these core principals will hold fast.

Forums each have their own culture and rules, and every forum won't be every person's cup of tea. It's about finding the sites where one enjoys the members and the way the forum is run.

Available to all on registration is the FAQ (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/faq.php?faq=membership#faq_whatisblab) on these principals, as well as Blab's portal html page (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/).

Thanks for reading,
Mary
Owner and Administrator

airen
01-31-2011, 06:13 PM
THINK before you BLAB!

RivnRo
01-31-2011, 06:19 PM
THINK before you BLAB!

Well now that would take a lot of fun out of it :D

StraplessVivaTequila
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Mary, are we allowed to email you and ask you to close (I mean prevent any more comments) a thread if we are getting offended, or the creator thinks its getting out of hand, with good enough reasons? If it's closed situations can always continue in private messages.

I know exactly what skidboots is talking about, and I've had my fare share of times when I just wanted my threads to end.

bronzino
01-31-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm not Mary but I can say that historically, we have not closed threads because the OP or someone else was offended in some way. If we did that, half the threads on Blab would be closed. :wink

I close threads when I conclude that the rules are potentially being violated, and the thread has become unproductive. I do that to allow people to cool off, and because I want the moderators to have a chance to look at the situation. Most of the time, the threads are re-opened later, and often, things right themselves (and/or mods are sending PMs in the background, warning people to take it easy).

One of the things we require members to do is *walk away* when a thread becomes offensive. To keep posting or reading a thread that is offensive is like being engaged on the street by a total stranger, arguing with him, and choosing not to leave because winning suddenly becomes terribly important. You wouldn't stay in that convo in real life (you've got better stuff to do, like watch TV, right?), so there is no reason to do it here.

And to the extent people suddenly become concerned about saving face, I'll tell you right now - the only message you send by participating in a "downhill" thread is that you are too compulsive and insecure to leave it alone. I know that sounds harsh, but I've seen hundreds of people quietly jump out of hot button threads, and nobody pays them any mind. What they will remember is the person who can't let it go - that *does* register.

Just trying to give some perspective. :) I'm not immune from being baited into an argument - happens all the time. So I can sympathize. But when I get there, I remind myself of the things I wrote above. It really helps.

StraplessVivaTequila
01-31-2011, 07:12 PM
That's a fabulous response, and I very much respect that. I love your third paragraph, because in all reality, people don't care about offending letters, but when it comes to faces, its very different. Thank you for responding very professionally. (I wish all blabbers were like you!)

Mary
01-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Mary, are we allowed to email you and ask you to close (I mean prevent any more comments) a thread if we are getting offended, or the creator thinks its getting out of hand, with good enough reasons? If it's closed situations can always continue in private messages.

I know exactly what skidboots is talking about, and I've had my fare share of times when I just wanted my threads to end.
Very good questions, Ashley! Here is the management recommendation for a thread that is getting painful -

- If you think the entire thread is sunk in a swampy bog of hopeless bickering, pm the url to several of the mods with a note. Whoever is online first can take a look.

- Mods appreciate it when members use the "Report Post" button for particular posts that are rules violations.

- Blab management prefer members not try to create moderating-type posts themselves. Feedback and comments to a member are ok up to a point, but if someone isn't taking suggestions, just leave it alone. If others have already given the feedback that someone was thinking of posting, someone can forego "piling on." ;)

- And finally - Practice Avoidance aka Read Anything Else. ;) :toothy Blab has over a dozen free and over 40 paid forums, and 500-750 posts per day. It's easy to avoid a particular thread if it's no longer relevant. :grin

Blab is going to have some painful-ness from time to time. That's part of a community that allows all kinds of viewpoints on all kinds of subjects. Enjoying Blab generally is less about what others post and more the choices each member makes for themselves, from posting to reading. :)

[edited to add - didn't see Liz' post before this one was finished. What she said, too. :) ]

bronzino
01-31-2011, 07:27 PM
- And finally - Practice Avoidance aka Read Anything Else. ;) :toothy Blab has over a dozen free and over 40 paid forums, and 500-750 posts per day. It's easy to avoid a particular thread if it's no longer relevant. :grin

Blab is going to have some painful-ness from time to time. That's part of a community that allows all kinds of viewpoints on all kinds of subjects. Enjoying Blab generally is less about what others post and more the choices each member makes for themselves, from posting to reading. :)

I love the way you put this. It is a little like being the elder child in a family - you are the only one who can drive away when everybody is arguing. So always keep your keys close by. :D

It's possible even to avoid other members who are driving you batty, even IF you are often in the same threads/interested in the same subjects. I can't say that I feel that way much now, but there have been times on Blab when I did, for sure. It's funny how little room for conflict there really is, when at least one of the parties chooses to disengage. It really does take two to tango!

skidboots
01-31-2011, 09:03 PM
I just can't help but believe that it is incorrect when someone is getting made fun of or insulted--to leave that up there. In my opinion, that is the wrong thing to do.

And yes, I did read all the rules and all the other posts before this one. I just don't agree. With any of it.

And I'm not trying to start anything. But, I believe that the original poster of a thread should retain the right to delete the thread when (or if) they feel it is necessary.

Since that is apparently not going to happen, I will be certain to carefully watch which threads I am involved in...and with whom.

bronzino
01-31-2011, 09:31 PM
You're a very black and white thinker, J, so it won't make any difference to you, but here is how I think of it.

The OP does not own a thread or a discussion. Every person who participates in that thread has an investment in it, and so does everyone who reads it. That the OP is subjectively offended, well hers is not the only interest to consider.

We've actually turned corners on some rather serious hobby issues here on Blab, just by talking it out and arguing. Sometimes in that process, people get mad, because the issues are important to them. If I zapped those threads based on their feelings at the time, we'd never have reached that consensus.

I also think it's fair to say that there's a wide gap between what you and I would consider "insulting." Criticizing someone is not insult; we can both agree on that. What we will not agree on is where a statement crosses the line from one to another. So if I have a group of folks I have concluded are too sensitive, do I zap their threads or not? How many threads would we have on Blab if I did?

I think you may also be ignoring the fact that if someone is genuinely insulting, there is a cost to them. The members here are more astute than you give them credit for. They see one member acting predatory with others, they lose respect and tolerance for that person, over time, and there's a certain social correction that happens - most of it without any bloodshed. If I zap the thread where that member has showed her behind, I have erased evidence of her social crime. I would rather people see that, frankly.

Kristi Hale
01-31-2011, 09:54 PM
THINK before you BLAB!
This is such excellent advice that can, and should, be applied to anything you do on the internet... where words and photos, like diamonds, are forever.

solticeart
01-31-2011, 09:57 PM
well said elizabeth! thats a really good way to put it... I know when i read some threads that get kinda hot and people ask if they can be deleted...... I usually learn something from them... if they were deleted then others wouldnt learn that same thing I learned..

Mary
01-31-2011, 10:39 PM
I just can't help but believe that it is incorrect when someone is getting made fun of or insulted--to leave that up there. In my opinion, that is the wrong thing to do.

And yes, I did read all the rules and all the other posts before this one. I just don't agree. With any of it.

And I'm not trying to start anything. But, I believe that the original poster of a thread should retain the right to delete the thread when (or if) they feel it is necessary.

Since that is apparently not going to happen, I will be certain to carefully watch which threads I am involved in...and with whom.
:thumbsup :rays That's exactly the best way to approach Blab, if you aren't in agreement with the way Blab is run.

There is no forum that is going to make everyone happy. Quite frankly, Blab is not the right place for everyone. Some people will not feel they are better off for their time here, even if others do like it. Imo one might as well put one's time where one will get the most satisfaction with the least difficulty. That's a personal call.

If some things on Blab are working for someone, but other things are not - there is great power in walking away from a thread. It's not possible to delete a thread, but it is possible to just put it aside, not bother with it any more. In fact, in many cases if certain people stop participating, it's very possible the thread will just peter out. Sometimes that's almost as good as deleting it, as things that might have been said won't be said (hmmm ... I don't know if that makes sense? :dunno ;) :lol )

Beethovens7th
02-03-2011, 11:04 PM
:thumbsup :rays That's exactly the best way to approach Blab, if you aren't in agreement with the way Blab is run.

There is no forum that is going to make everyone happy. Quite frankly, Blab is not the right place for everyone. Some people will not feel they are better off for their time here, even if others do like it. Imo one might as well put one's time where one will get the most satisfaction with the least difficulty. That's a personal call.

If some things on Blab are working for someone, but other things are not - there is great power in walking away from a thread. It's not possible to delete a thread, but it is possible to just put it aside, not bother with it any more. In fact, in many cases if certain people stop participating, it's very possible the thread will just peter out. Sometimes that's almost as good as deleting it, as things that might have been said won't be said (hmmm ... I don't know if that makes sense? :dunno ;) :lol )

Makes sense. :yes Glad you guys (Mods) are here!:thumbsup

NatalieK
02-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Being able to unsubscribe from threads can be a lifesaver. Out of sight, out of mind, eventually it will die.