PDA

View Full Version : Sale pricing help subforum.

Beth B
03-07-2011, 01:49 AM
I would love to have help pricing my models for sale as I have no clue to what the price would be for some of my model horses that I want to put up for sale.

Thanks,
Beth F B

Mary
03-08-2011, 01:38 PM
A couple of thoughts for you ... there are other resources for finding out about model prices. One is to search MHSP for completed sales of your model and see what the final price was, if you can tell. Taking into account the described condition of the model. Also, ponylagoon (http://ponylagoon.muerte.net/) has some prices for Breyers, and do check their caveat about that information in their link "value of models." And thirdly, you can ask about a specific model in the appropriate forum - OF Corral, Resins and so forth.

What do other Blabbers think? Would such a forum be much used - would it be helpful?

NatalieK
03-08-2011, 04:31 PM
I think it would be nice to have one specific place to go to. PonyLagoon's prices are grossly outdated and you can't always get the price estimate on something like a DAH or OOAK. I vote "for."

Laura G
03-08-2011, 04:42 PM
I think it would be nice to have one specific place to go to. PonyLagoon's prices are grossly outdated and you can't always get the price estimate on something like a DAH or OOAK. I vote "for."

:agreed I think it's a great idea! :)

Kathe
03-08-2011, 04:56 PM
I would find it helpful, too. :)

shastaharley
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I vote yes. It would also be helpful to get suggestions from others on how to price our own creations.

Lizzard
03-08-2011, 07:18 PM
I vote yes. Not only would it help Blabbers price their models, but I think it would also help as a reference to make sure we aren't overpaying for anything :)

bronzino
03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't know what Mary's plans are, but usually when people need pricing info, they put "Price Check" at the beginning of the thread title and post it wherever is most relevant (OF Corral, the Kiln, etc). I have seen people get responses so that method does seem to work. HTH. :)

Erin
03-09-2011, 04:18 AM
I don't know what Mary's plans are, but usually when people need pricing info, they put "Price Check" at the beginning of the thread title and post it wherever is most relevant (OF Corral, the Kiln, etc). I have seen people get responses so that method does seem to work. HTH. :)

Maybe it's just me, but I actually have not gone that route because for some reason I feel like it's clogging up those forums, and I don't want to put people out? I know there are a couple of things I would have asked about if there was a sub-forum just for that and I knew it was okay.

Robin
03-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I actually have not gone that route because for some reason I feel like it's clogging up those forums, and I don't want to put people out? I know there are a couple of things I would have asked about if there was a sub-forum just for that and I knew it was okay.

:agreed Same here. I think having a sub-forum would be marvelous.

Erin
03-09-2011, 07:32 AM
:agreed Same here. I think having a sub-forum would be marvelous.

I am glad I'm not the only one! I think the reason is that there are no sales posts allowed in those forums, and to me, pricing something that is/will be for sale seems too close to a sales post.

Desmodus
03-09-2011, 08:46 AM
A forum devoted to "Price Check" threads would be great and really convenient. I can see it being very useful as an ongoing value guide.

Would it be one single forum that lumps all kinds of items together or would it be broken down into specific sub-forums like the Sales section?

RobinHoodFan
03-09-2011, 09:57 AM
I It would also be helpful to get suggestions from others on how to price our own creations.
:yes that would be VEERRRYY helpful! especially for people just starting out in the hobby!

Mary
03-09-2011, 05:05 PM
I like the support the idea of the forum is getting. But what do posts in this forum look like? I haven't quite envisioned what that would be like. Compose an example post, if you would. And when do people post? Do they come and post "I just sold a ___ for $___ ?" Would people actually do that, do you think?

If this could be a valuable hobby reference I'm all for it. Trying to picture how it actually works, though, who does what and when they do it, in the forum.

I can sense this would be easier to do for OF's, where there are numbers of models that are supposedly the same being sold. Do you see this for resins as well? I think it would be helpful, especially for blanks, but it might be a little more complicated once paint is applied and/or the resin is customized, as then it is a unique item. Ditton customs, of course.

More thoughts? Very interesting idea ... :bulb

shastaharley
03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
This is somewhat what I was thinking.

Hey gang, I just finished this custom and wondered what you might think a fair price for it.

shastaharley
03-09-2011, 05:16 PM
When it comes to OF it is pretty easy to get a sense of going rate by doing a search on ebay for sold items. There are some though that don't go up for sale all that much, even regular runs, that others might be able to help price. The guides and online value cites just can't keep up with fluctuating prices. For painted resins it would be helpful to be able to get comments from those in the know about resins and painting artists if you want to sell a piece you purchased long ago and have no idea of going prices for that resin or artist. Mostly I think it would just be helpful for new customizers and hobbyists making something different, like fantasy customs for instance. Getting a range of opinions would be helpful to at least determine a starting price.

Erin
03-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I picture posts like "I have a --- for sale, what have you guys seen those go for lately?"

eBay only keeps completed listings for so long, and vendors remove sold horses from MH$P all the time, so it can sometimes be hard to know what the going price is.

Mary
03-10-2011, 09:10 PM
I'd like the pricing help as much as anyone! :cheer I could use such information.

But here are a few concerns I've thought of ... what do people think about these potential issues? Am I overly concerned?

- Transactions are private business. Even if they are not named, the other party to the transaction may not want other people to know the amount they bought or sold for. Their friends are likely to know what was acquired or sold and it isn't hard to put it together. Some of this info is already on MHSP, but of course those aren't the transactions for which we need more pricing information. It's the ones that aren't so public that would help provide prices where there isn't more information.

- Anything produced by an artist - customs, sculptures, painting - has the potential for many hurt feelings based on frank commentary on values.

It sounds great in a neutral setting, but each transaction has real people with varying sensitivities involved. Particularly anything involving hobby artists, because the artists are also peripherally part of the transaction, even if they aren't buying/selling. It's their work that creates the value. Blab has always tip-toed around criticizing hobby artists, but that's what such a sub-forum could be doing in some cases. And in spite of that sensitivity, Blab does value and encourage frankness. I predict some unforeseen, unintended consequences.
:bigeyes

Thoughts?

Erin
03-11-2011, 03:45 AM
I'd like the pricing help as much as anyone! :cheer I could use such information.

But here are a few concerns I've thought of ... what do people think about these potential issues? Am I overly concerned?

- Transactions are private business. Even if they are not named, the other party to the transaction may not want other people to know the amount they bought or sold for. Their friends are likely to know what was acquired or sold and it isn't hard to put it together. Some of this info is already on MHSP, but of course those aren't the transactions for which we need more pricing information. It's the ones that aren't so public that would help provide prices where there isn't more information.

- Anything produced by an artist - customs, sculptures, painting - has the potential for many hurt feelings based on frank commentary on values.

It sounds great in a neutral setting, but each transaction has real people with varying sensitivities involved. Particularly anything involving hobby artists, because the artists are also peripherally part of the transaction, even if they aren't buying/selling. It's their work that creates the value. Blab has always tip-toed around criticizing hobby artists, but that's what such a sub-forum could be doing in some cases. And in spite of that sensitivity, Blab does value and encourage frankness. I predict some unforeseen, unintended consequences.

Thoughts?

I think you have some valid concerns, Mary - my thought is that it should be approached like the WDYRT forum - post only if you want to know the truth! :lol

That said, I think that it IS a touchy issue to get values on finish work, especially finish work the poster didn't do. Personally I was thinking of this forum more in terms of OFs.

RobinHoodFan
03-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Yes, you do have valid points. I agree with Erin about treating it like a WDYRT...

The thing is..for beginners such as myself, I dont know in what range my art really is..not so much quality but in genre as well...I'f i'm doing a genre that nobody or only a select few are interested in, then my items wont sell well as a more popular genre.... Since I'm just beginning, I KNOW my work is not up to par with people who've been doing it for years, but WHERE is my artwork and what price is it worth starting at? This would save me alot of headache in listing fees if i know where i should start selling prices at.

Those are the questions I have with every piece i've been creating. It's also not so much about the quality of your artwork but also genre your piece is in. Would a pegasus sell better than a unicorn, does this horse pattern sell better than that one. It would also be useful for getting the feel of the market. Asking the question of what is more popular before creating the idea that will ultimately be for sale is also a big help.

I hope I'm making sense. i agree with you, and I'm sure there would be a few here who would take offense to their answers just like in any other forum. But as long as everyone is being professional and not outright "making fun" of, or critiquing when a critique was not asked for, (Like in the WDYRT) i think it would be very useful for those who want to use it.

That said, i dont think it should be a full "critiquing" forum either. That should be left to the WDYRT forum. I think maybe it should be more of just a "what would you pay price check" with no suggestions as to why unless the OP asks for them? :dunno

Sample CM post:
Just finished this litlle custom (insert picture). What do you think I should start the selling price at?

Responses to posts in this forum should only be dollar amounts. No critiquing or reasoning unless specifically asked by the OP.

In OF I dont think you'd need people posting the price on something every time they sell something..its more of a place for asking.

Sample OF post:
I have a Traditional Hidalgo I want to sell. Has anyone sold or purchased one one recently?What is the going price?

Mary
03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Y'all keep those cards n letters coming, interesting to discuss this idea.

Sample CM post:
Just finished this litlle custom (insert picture). What do you think I should start the selling price at?
(Any minute now I'm going to start feeling like a little rain cloud, which I don't mean to be. ;) ) I will tell you that with close-ups of the detail you might get some helpful suggestions - but really, one has to hold a model in their hands to get the full depths of the nuances of the finish. There is no flat photo that can fully express some of the in-person detail that make it very appealing, or conversely the missing elements that make it less comparable to another artist's work.

IMO the best feedback you can get on fair selling price is not on the internet, but from finding collectors and/or artists within driving distance who are willing to help and critique you - a fair few will be happy to do this. And it can be done at live shows as well. Especially for a new artist whose style is not yet familiar to critique-ers.

Another general note concerning the idea - since such a new forum would be in Sales, only paid members would be able to post. And once such a forum was initiated, free members would no longer be able to ask the question in the free forums because there is another forum specifically for that topic. Just something else to consider.

As far as all members being able to ask for this info in the usual forums - OF, Resins, etc. - as long as the poster doesn't say they are selling anything, it's just a discussion and that's what we do here on Blab. :thumbsup A simple phrase such as "What do you think is a fair price for a ___ in excellent condition?" is ok.

RobinHoodFan
03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Y'all keep those cards n letters coming, interesting to discuss this idea.

(Any minute now I'm going to start feeling like a little rain cloud, which I don't mean to be. ;) ) I will tell you that with close-ups of the detail you might get some helpful suggestions - but really, one has to hold a model in their hands to get the full depths of the nuances of the finish. There is no flat photo that can fully express some of the in-person detail that make it very appealing, or conversely the missing elements that make it less comparable to another artist's work.

IMO the best feedback you can get on fair selling price is not on the internet, but from finding collectors and/or artists within driving distance who are willing to help and critique you - a fair few will be happy to do this. And it can be done at live shows as well. Especially for a new artist whose style is not yet familiar to critique-ers.

However, when you buy online, pictures is all you have to go by. So I think whatever you post is an accurate representation of what buyers are going to see when you sell it...what one is asking is what should should i start this at.

Another general note concerning the idea - since such a new forum would be in Sales, only paid members would be able to post. And once such a forum was initiated, free members would no longer be able to ask the question in the free forums because there is another forum specifically for that topic. Just something else to consider.

There's no way to make it in a free forum? I agree it is best suited in sales..but if you want free users to see it, why not create a separate "price check" forum?

As far as all members being able to ask for this info in the usual forums - OF, Resins, etc. - as long as the poster doesn't say they are selling anything, it's just a discussion and that's what we do here on Blab. :thumbsup A simple phrase such as "What do you think is a fair price for a ___ in excellent condition?" is ok.

But what about for CM's? I think this forum would be most helpful for CM's ...Maybe make the CM price check in sales or custom corner and an OF price check in a free forum?

TraceyK
03-11-2011, 03:26 PM

:yeahthat I vote "yes" on that one too! I think it sounds like a wonderful idea! :yes

TraceyK
03-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Thoughts?

Well, now that I read this, your points make perfectly good sense. :yes

mumtaz
03-11-2011, 04:05 PM
But what about for CM's? I think this forum would be most helpful for CM's ...

I disagree, especially for a new artist asking about a price point for their own work. The best way to find out is to offer something at a set price on MH$P and similar sites or offer it on ebay with no reserve and see what happens. The market will set the value. I think most people would shy away from offering guesses at pricing finishwork for an artist. I know I would.

RobinHoodFan
03-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I disagree, especially for a new artist asking about a price point for their own work. The best way to find out is to offer something at a set price on MH$P and similar sites or offer it on ebay with no reserve and see what happens. The market will set the value. I think most people would shy away from offering guesses at pricing finishwork for an artist. I know I would.

yes, but question is...WHAT do you start that price at? That's my point...and like i mentioned (dont know if you saw my post#20)...the CM responses should not have anything more than a $$ associated with it unless asked by the OP..therefore it would not be a critiquing forum because you won't know why they offered the price they said. Could be a number of reasons.

becauseits also not so much bout what the artwork is worth ..but the genre you're creating in as well. For example someone could create a super amazing custom of say a green peagsus...but green pegasus arent popular anymore and aren't selling...therefore the value and starting price would go down. I hope i'm making sense.

another example is someone creates a horse from an unknown Japanese anime film and tries to sell it....will anyone buy it? Does anyone know who this horse is? What should i start the price at so i'm not constatnly re-listing at something too high to start off.\?

High starting bids tend to scare away buyers (even if it does eventually get bid up to that if started low) but going low is scary to sellers in case it sells for that low and you lose money....

and the most important....if you dont want to know ...then dont post....just like the wdyrt forum...

mumtaz
03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
For both, my advice would still be to start an auction on ebay at $.99 and let the market dictate the price.

RobinHoodFan
03-11-2011, 06:31 PM
that's a really scary price to start at...

smushybanana

I agree with Mumtaz. I think most of those on this forum who have knowledge about customs are hesitant to put a price on someone's work for fear of hurt feelings. I mean, pricing one's work an often discussed topic, but there's not a clear right answer there, and huge potential for controversy.

I am ambivalent about the need for a price check forum. I have definitely put forth questions about the going price for various resins, for instance.

RobinHoodFan
because then you dont know...was it the market or was it your search title? Alot of sellers lose out on auctions because they dont describe the item in their search title properly for what people are searching for

mumtaz
03-11-2011, 06:36 PM
that's a really scary price to start at...

There's always the option to set a reserve. :) If the reserve isn't met, at least the bidding should give you some idea of a price point.

RobinHoodFan
03-11-2011, 06:49 PM
reserves also scare bidders away...i personally never bid on anything that has a reserve..just a waste of my time...plus a reserve costs more$$...bah..i duno...there's a point i'm trying to argue in there somewhere but i really can't come up with more of a defense again anything you're saying either :lol it's all an up in the air thing...

i suppose you dont need a forum but just specify a place for those of us who want to ask...actually the wdyrt forum should be good for CM price checks dont ya think?

4ever_Unbridled
03-11-2011, 07:01 PM
There's always the option to set a reserve. :) If the reserve isn't met, at least the bidding should give you some idea of a price point.

:yeahthat

That's probably the best way but you could also put it up for offers on MH$P and see what response you get. Or just give it a set price of what you want for it but put "or best offer". I think that putting it on the market is the best way to find out what a CM model is worth - It is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. So I don't see a price check for CMs very useful as you could get a wide range of quotes of what others think a CM is worth but it all boils down to what the actual buyer is willing to pay.

That said I think it would be nice to have a price check thread dedicated to that purpose alone. I too sometimes feel that posting a price check in other forums kind of clog it up and it would be easier to search to see if a model has already been price checked in the past. I think it would be a good reference for hobbiests but I can see where there may be problems pricing CMs also including painted resins.

bronzino
03-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Reserves don't scare me. If I can't meet the reserve then what's the problem? I haven't committed to more than I'm willing to pay. I don't understand that logic at all. :)

Customs and resins have no collectibility value. What they are worth depends almost entirely on how lifelike they are. So asking what they are worth is in fact a request for a critique.

A simple CM with a broken neck? Worth about $50-$75 if you can find someone who can't "see" the defect (see Tracy's post above). A simple custom with no serious defects and a competent paint job? $150-$250. A simple CM without apparent defects and a dazzling paint job? $400-$800. A drastic CM sans defects and a dazzling paint job? Start at $1000.

A huge, huge range, and all of it dependent on the quality of the craftsmanship and overall appeal.

And even then, it's something of a stab in the dark, because the items are so unique that there is no way to predict in advance how a horse will appeal to a given buyer. No, the best, least offensive way to get pricing on a CM is to put it up for sale and see what the reaction is.

mumtaz
03-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Exactly, Eliz. And sometimes CMs/resins with glaring flaws sell for silly prices anyway because people just think they're pretty despite the broken neck or never-seen-in-nature color. It's an often unpredictable market.

Mary
03-11-2011, 08:52 PM
reserves also scare bidders away...i personally never bid on anything that has a reserve..just a waste of my time...plus a reserve costs more$$...bah..i duno...there's a point i'm trying to argue in there somewhere but i really can't come up with more of a defense again anything you're saying either :lol it's all an up in the air thing...

i suppose you dont need a forum but just specify a place for those of us who want to ask...actually the wdyrt forum should be good for CM price checks dont ya think?I suspect the real issue behind the forum request is a wish for something a forum can't give you, and neither can anything else - certainty. But it's not out there. Your advisors aren't going to know what a new artist work is going to sell for. It depends on who sees the auction, who is in the market at the time, and even who should have seen the auction but didn't. There are a thousand factors for any one sale. They will not know about the 2nd or 3rd item from that artist, either, because of the same factors.

This forum isn't needed for OF's that sell daily through various hobby channels. The prices are fairly visible, the forum would add nothing.

And I honestly don't think it is going to be as much help as people are wishing it would be for other items. The discussion that is happening here is the same one that would happen in the new forum. A new artist has to take some chances - if you can't do that, you can't start selling. That is true for any new product. Put several things out there and let the market go where it will. Yep, you might end up with some $5 high offers. It takes time to establish a market for anything, and product and volume. Until that happens you are in a risky venture like any entrepreneur. A discussion forum won't give you certainty. And fwiw, that discussion can be had now in several existing forums.

Having a unique item or a new artist item is entering into a realm of uncertainty, and some people are more comfortable with that than others. A forum might give a sense of security -- but I think in the end its not going to be what is hoped.

I hope that makes sense.

RobinHoodFan
03-11-2011, 09:33 PM
well said

Mary
03-12-2011, 09:09 AM
... A discussion forum won't give you certainty. And fwiw, that discussion can be had now in several existing forums. ...Quoting myself to clarify - I meant, on Blab, there are several forums where you can get feedback on your work, and ask about suggested pricing at the same time. As long as you aren't saying "it's for sale" you can certainly post photos of 2 or 3 painted models and say something like "I'm trying to get an idea what the market is for an item like this, from a new artist like myself. What would you expect an item like this to bring? What factors do you think are most important to what price it might sell for? How would you suggest marketing these items?" Something like that. A discussion might give you more of the information you are looking for than a direct question on one item. If you want to put more work out in the future, don't get too wrapped up in any one item. The picture is much broader both in product and in time. I hope that makes sense! :bloom

And just a note ... you just got some specific marketing information here in this thread, such as would also be offered in such a forum ... and you weren't entirely thrilled to hear about an auction starting at $0.99. ;) But that is just what you'll hear anywhere on Blab, in an existing category forum or in a new forum.

I suggest posting a thread in Customs asking artists how they first started marketing their work, and what their experience was. What were the discouragements and how did they keep going? I suspect that info is what you really need! The answer to your basic and simple question, how much should I ask? is not so basic and simple, I'm afraid. But good luck and get it out there!! :thumbsup :rays