PDA

View Full Version : help: avatar?

sham
07-28-2004, 09:39 PM
what exactly is avatar?? I was trying to get a photo from my comp. and it kept saying I had too many pixels...and the pic. was too big? They are not supposed to be over 100 something KB?? The picture I was trying to upload was only 11KB??
Also what and where would the profile picture be found??

sham
07-28-2004, 09:41 PM
ohh and the little things on the side of my posts?? what does a reputation mean?? and what is the little grey/blue rectangle?? it says I am off the scale??

Griffin
07-28-2004, 09:59 PM
what exactly is avatar?? I was trying to get a photo from my comp. and it kept saying I had too many pixels...and the pic. was too big? They are not supposed to be over 100 something KB?? The picture I was trying to upload was only 11KB??
Also what and where would the profile picture be found??

An avatar is just a little picture underneath your name. It cannot be more than 200 pixels lengthwise or widthwise. If it was over 200 pixels on a side it wouldn't let you upload it.

A profile picture shows up when another user looks at your profile.

As for some of your other questions, go here:

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13361&postcount=18

~~Griffin~~

sham
07-28-2004, 10:19 PM
thanks but..I wasn't allowed to see the page you linked...
if any admin. can answer my Q's..which I am sure they can..I will figure out what all those little symbols are to the left of each post..I know the ones tell me which users have yahoo, or ICQ or MSN, but the little rectangle and the things at the bottom..I don't understand..
**Also, how can I get and make sure my picture is the right pixels?? How is everyone else getting them their pictures to work??

Griffin
07-28-2004, 10:23 PM
thanks but..I wasn't allowed to see the page you linked...
if any admin. can answer my Q's..which I am sure they can..I will figure out what all those little symbols are to the left of each post..I know the ones tell me which users have yahoo, or ICQ or MSN, but the little rectangle and the things at the bottom..I don't understand..
**Also, how can I get and make sure my picture is the right pixels?? How is everyone else getting them their pictures to work??

The link works for me, but here's the copy and pasted text:

The little square is your reputation. Near the bottom, the little dot shows whether or not you are online (green = a user is online.) Next to that is the "Scale of Reputation." Underneath other user's info there's also a "Yield Sign"-looking thingy.

If you click on the scale, you can give reputation points to someone if you liked their post or they gave good info or they're funny or something. If you didn't like a post, you can click on the little yield sign (I think that's how the yield-thing works, anyways.) The little square shows your reputation. If you get a certain number of reputation points, I believe you get more squares.

To turn on avatars and signatures, go to the User CP at the top left of the page. Click on Edit Options, then scroll down and you should see a place where you can check a box to see images. Don't forget to save your settings.

---------

As far as editing the number of pixels, you'd have to use an image editing program like Photoshop. There are free versions out there, but I'm not sure where. If you'd like me to resize it for you tonight, email me at stormfront_stables@yahoo.com . I'm leaving for BF in the morning. :cheer Yay!

Hope this helps.

~~Griffin~~

seventhdream
07-28-2004, 10:49 PM
'Thanks Griffin, I *think* you got it right... and I'm s Heather & Flicksmom appreciate the help with three of the mods here in Kentucky without a lot of time to check Blab.

Sham - with the recent upgrade in software, even the mods are still learning the ropes. PLease bear with us :lol

If you can't get your avatar up by the time I get home from BF, and if Heaher doesn't beat me to it, I'll fix that right up for you.

sham
07-29-2004, 10:36 AM
thanks guys..I might try again, but I'll probably wait till BF is over and you all have to come back home..ha..ha.. Man, I wish I was there smelling horses and seeing thousands of plastic ponies!!!

Heather
07-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Griffin's got it nailed - except the yield sign/triangle-exclamation mark thing is to report a post to management. Like, if someone were REALLY out of hand. If you don't like a post, you can click on the reputation scale and click "disapprove." If people start to abuse that, however, we'll disable it for them. :thumbsup

For your avatar, just make sure it's no more than 200 pixels high, and 200 pixels wide. If you don't have any way to size your avatar, let one of us know and we can do it for you and email it back to you. Then, you just browse and attach it in your User CP.

Let me know if you need more help!

sham
07-30-2004, 01:52 PM
:clap yeah..my avatar picture is up..thanks so much for all your help and heather for resizing it... ;)

Griffin
08-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Griffin's got it nailed - except the yield sign/triangle-exclamation mark thing is to report a post to management. Like, if someone were REALLY out of hand. If you don't like a post, you can click on the reputation scale and click "disapprove." If people start to abuse that, however, we'll disable it for them. :thumbsup
Aha! I was wondering about that. Good to know. :clap

~~Griffin~~