View Full Version : Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa Hobbiests for a Zoo Day

08-04-2011, 04:55 AM
Sara Gifford and I are putting together a "Zoo Day" at the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo in late August or early September just for us model horse nerds. I have an event page up on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=214365981934332) and are tentatively scheduled for Saturday September 3rd, the Saturday before Labor Day. After Labor Day the animals begin getting put away and it's just not as fun anymore. It should be plenty cooled off by this point.

Bring the kids, leave the horsies and the boys (or bring 'em if they help carry children, ha!).

You can get more info at http://www.omahazoo.com/

I also have a $50 gift certificate to the 11Worh Cafe, but I have to spend $100, which means we need at least 8, if not 9 people to show up to make it happen (this will come out to about $5 per person)

The Zoo opens at 9AM and closes at 5PM. If you've never gone, it's an experience you can't miss! We have 3x more species than the San Diego Zoo and we're also slightly larger acreage-wise. This is a day long event, so plan to spend every minute possible in the zoo.

YES! You can bring your own food and drink! The zoo gets that their food is expensive and welcomes you to bring in coolers of food if you wish, or we can all park in a designated corner of Rosenblatt Stadium's parking lot together and eat when we get hungry outside the zoo lot.

There is also an IMAX theater typically showing nature shows; at least one 3D show will be going on at the time.

Indoor fun includes the Jungle, Desert Dome, Kingdoms of the Night, Aquarium, Butterfly House, Madagascar and Gorilla Valley.

We also have the Skyfari which will take you all the way from the front of the zoo to the back (for those of you who hate walking up pachyderm hill like me).

Don't forget the train that goes around the zoo, carousel and tram.

And the best part, the petting zoo!! Because I love playing with those little goats!

You can also visit the Budgie thing(?) (parakeets!!!) and feed them with seeds on a stick while they zoom past your head and poop on your shoulders (hasn't happened to me, yet, but I'm due).

There's more, but I just can't think of it all at the moment.

Admission Fees are:

Zoo Admission
Children (2 and under): FREE
Children (ages 3 - 11): $9.00
Adults (ages 12 and over): $13.50
Seniors (ages 62 and over): $12.00

Zoo and Lozier IMAX® Theater Combo Rate (includes Zoo admission and 1 ticket to an IMAX® film)
Children (2 and under if sitting on lap): FREE
Children (ages 3 - 11): $13.00
Adults (ages 12 and over): $17.50
Seniors (ages 62 and over): $16.00

Lozier IMAX® Theater Fees
Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo members: FREE
Children (2 and under if sitting on lap): FREE
Children (ages 3 - 11): $5.00
Adults (ages 12 and over): $5.00
Seniors (ages 62 and over): $5.00

BUT WAIT! I have a family membership, which means I can get 2 adults (including myself) and 6 children in for free! So this can definitely help with costs if there's someone who wants to go but can't afford it.

If you have any questions, PM Sara (FriesianFury) or I and we'll help as best we can!!

08-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Last call! We're doing breakfast at the 11Worth Cafe at 7:30AM and the zoo at 9:00AM.

08-30-2011, 09:39 PM
im going and have a membership, So if someone else goes and someone brings kids I can cover one adult and 3 kids! Im looking forward to this Saturday!!

08-30-2011, 10:45 PM

I am not touching a bug this time though. :bolt