PDA

View Full Version : RED LIGHT to Lisa Bickford (Triple B Designs)

MBPearls
06-05-2012, 07:04 PM
On May 1st, I responded to an ad Lisa Bickford had on MH$P for a "McDuff" Old Timer. I knew she was a slow shipper, but he was the only one available for sale online at the time (and as such, the last model I needed for my Old Timer conga). He was $24 plus shipping (grand total of $36).

On May 2nd, Lisa responded saying he was still available. I sent her payment immediately, and she confirmed immediately that it was received.

On May 21st, having heard nothing and still not in possession of the model, I sent her an email asking if he had shipped.

On May 26th, she sent the following email while I was sitting less than 20 feet away from her at Springamathing: "I think he did. I'm in colorado at a complete waste of time stone show. When I get home monday I will check on him for ya."

I had planned on talking to her at the show, but after reading that I decided against it. Wanted to keep a cool head and continue having fun.

On May 28th, I did respond back to her (gave myself two days to "unwind" from the comment) with "Sorry you had a bad time. I was at that show as well (next row over from you) and I had a blast!"

She responded the same day with some griping about the show and then "I'm home now! And guess what....so is your Old Timer! I'll get him to the PO tomorrow after work."

Here it is, a week later, and no Old Timer. As it's been over a month since payment was sent, I opened up a Paypal dispute. In it I told her that if she hadn't sent out the model, she should refund me in full. If he truly is in the mail, I will close the dispute when he's in hand. There is no point to her shipping him if he hasn't been shipped already - she's had plenty of time to get him mailed out (over a month) and somehow managed to drive to a show in another state without getting to her post office. Heck, she was posting on the Facebook wall for Springamathing, as was I, and she could have brought him along with her (unless she completely ignored everything except her own posting, she would have seen me posting).

I would not recommend entering into any transaction with her. It was in other threads which I foolishly ignored - she's great when it's all about the payment, but then it's radio silence.

I did find a McDuff on eBay about a week ago that I did end up winning.

BreyerBuyer415
06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry, Dayle! :hugg

Jennifer
06-05-2012, 07:54 PM
For what it's worth, I had fun at that show, too!

MBPearls
06-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I think the majority of people did! :haha She said she was "mislead" about the customs classes (in regards to number of classes), but with the classlist being online (and easy to access) I don't understand how.

Keren
06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
I can't understand how someone can care so little about their reputation as to not be bothered about being red-lighted like this. She has a resin I'm looking for, but I would not buy it from her if she was the last person alive!

Keren

PixelPerfectStables
06-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Wow, she really could have just brought the horse to the show with her and saved the trouble of shipping in the first place. :doh
I'm really sorry to hear this, it sounds like a huge pain :( I'm glad you did find another McDuff in case that one never shows up, though. :hugg
I do like her work, but I will be staying away from buying firsthand due to all the issues I've been seeing lately.

elfling
06-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I've passed on some horses I really wanted because she was the seller. I've not read many easy transactions with her.

MountainHomeModels
06-07-2012, 03:57 AM
I donated a jump I worked extremely hard on to her Laughing Bear Live benefit show for Lynn Fraley. I just underwent the same surgery that folks with colon cancer, like Lynn, often have, so it struck a chord with me and I really wanted to donate. The jump is beautiful and I put in a lot of sweat and tears (actual tears!) to make it. I sent it to Lisa at the end of April and she received it more than a month ago. She's told me three times she'll "put it on the website tonight/tomorrow", and it still hasn't happened (though many other peoples' pieces have been posted). I am afraid nobody will see it and it will end up with no bids now, which breaks my heart because I really wanted to do something to help Lynn (who I don't know at all), and would have been very proud to see the jump on the website.

It was also my first ever donation piece. I am trying really hard not to let it leave a bad taste in my mouth, if the jump never shows up online and gets no bids. At the very least, if it doesn't get any bids, I hope Lynn sees it and it makes her smile.

RivnRo
06-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Your jump IS beautiful. *hugs*

sassymiss
06-07-2012, 08:31 AM
ooohhh... a jump. Sounds interesting. I am also donating something to that show but not delivering it until the day of the event. She is planning to have all of the auction pieces available for bids during the show too so I am sure it will bring in money for Lynn regardless of whether it goes on the website or not.

I agree that Lisa could be a better communicator. I have not bought anything from her via mail order, only in person, so my transactions have all been fine so I cannot comment on that.

I donated a jump I worked extremely hard on to her Laughing Bear Live benefit show for Lynn Fraley. I just underwent the same surgery that folks with colon cancer, like Lynn, often have, so it struck a chord with me and I really wanted to donate. The jump is beautiful and I put in a lot of sweat and tears (actual tears!) to make it. I sent it to Lisa at the end of April and she received it more than a month ago. She's told me three times she'll "put it on the website tonight/tomorrow", and it still hasn't happened (though many other peoples' pieces have been posted). I am afraid nobody will see it and it will end up with no bids now, which breaks my heart because I really wanted to do something to help Lynn (who I don't know at all), and would have been very proud to see the jump on the website.

It was also my first ever donation piece. I am trying really hard not to let it leave a bad taste in my mouth, if the jump never shows up online and gets no bids. At the very least, if it doesn't get any bids, I hope Lynn sees it and it makes her smile.

Clare
06-07-2012, 08:57 AM
How can you not know whether you have sent a parcel out or not?!

Nope, I had a bad transaction with her once and won't deal with her again. I think I was one of the only people to speak up at the time too! :(

MountainHomeModels
06-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks everybody for the support :grouphug

I am glad Dayle posted this thread (though I am certainly NOT happy she's been treated so poorly!), as I was beginning to fret that it was something to do with me, and I didn't want to post a new thread to ask about it because I didn't want to seem like I had strings attached to my donation or was being a little snot about it. I did turn to my husband for support and asked if he thought the jump turned out badly and if that was why it wasn't on the site, and he tried his best to assure me he thought it was lovely. So in a way, it's a big relief to know that the issue isn't me or my work. It's hard not to take something like that and fret over it when you're starting out :)

Dayle, I hope you get your Old Timer from her soon!

RivnRo
06-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Well and goodness knows being new a little advertising for your efforts wouldn't hurt!

Amanda
06-07-2012, 05:56 PM
I can't understand how someone can care so little about their reputation as to not be bothered about being red-lighted like this. She has a resin I'm looking for, but I would not buy it from her if she was the last person alive!

Keren

:yeahthat

So sorry you are having to deal with this :gaah

Mary
06-07-2012, 06:11 PM
How can you not know whether you have sent a parcel out or not?!
Her mother sometimes sends the models to help her out. That's been known among those who have done biz with them over the years. However, that has not seemed to be a consistent role, so it's hard for a buyer to know who is going to ship. It's been awhile but I've dealt with her mother and she was very nice.

ravensgate
06-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Oooooooooooooookkkaaaayy, my hackles just went up. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. COMPLETELY. Showholders have a hard enough time GETTING donations let alone getting them and not advertising. What a huge injustice to you, the show, and Lynn. And THIS is exactly why I would not donate to this show. I wanted to in order to help Lynn, but Lisa's prior behavior was enough for me to pass. And I used to deal with her quite a bit, she was my Breyer 'dealer' that I would always go to to get bodies from. I never had a bad deal with her personally, but I don't have to. Reading the lights on her and the thread and now THIS is the nail in the coffin.

If you want someone to pimp out your work, I'm going to BF and would be happy to take something with me to show off or try to sell for you.

If this is your first donation piece, don't fret, most showholders are totally on the ball. And the ones who aren't, well, you just make a mental note and don't donate in the future. I'm so terribly sorry this was your first donation experience. :somad

RivnRo
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
And that, is why I call her the Bakernator.

MountainHomeModels
06-07-2012, 06:32 PM
lol, I can totally see why Riv!

Jaime, thank you SO MUCH! Your offer to take a piece to Breyerfest has inspired me. I am already trying to come up with ideas worthy of both you and Breyerfest that I can get finished and sent to you in time :)

All the wonderful support here has really boosted my morale. I am sorry to have hijacked Dayle's thread since it is very important she receive what she paid for, but at the same time all the kindness has been really inspirational. Thank you all! :bigheart

ravensgate
06-07-2012, 07:03 PM
And that, is why I call her the Bakernator.

Awwwwwwwww...Shauna's being sweet on me everybody!!! :lol

Seriously, stuff like this makes me want to just scream. I don't like ANYONE being taking advantage of but when it comes down to normal sales PLUS donations to a show meant to help someone in need, holy crow does it make me want to spit nails!

Keren
06-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Oooooooooooooookkkaaaayy, my hackles just went up. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. COMPLETELY. Showholders have a hard enough time GETTING donations let alone getting them and not advertising. What a huge injustice to you, the show, and Lynn. And THIS is exactly why I would not donate to this show. I wanted to in order to help Lynn, but Lisa's prior behavior was enough for me to pass. And I used to deal with her quite a bit, she was my Breyer 'dealer' that I would always go to to get bodies from. I never had a bad deal with her personally, but I don't have to. Reading the lights on her and the thread and now THIS is the nail in the coffin.

:yeahthat

Keren

Mary
06-07-2012, 09:15 PM
If there are photos of the donation available, they could be advertised separately. Possibly? :)

MountainHomeModels
06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
That's a good point Mary. I have several photos of it. I'll post a few here. It's not perfect and was my first try at undertaking something of such a caliber, but I think it turned out pretty nicely and Lisa said she loved it.

Beethovens7th
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
:wow Those jumps are lovely!! Good job, Mountain!!

MountainHomeModels
06-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Thank you Beethoven! They're all photos of the same jump, just set up slightly differently. I hope it appears on the auction table at Laughing Bear Live, as it was intended to do :)

MBPearls
06-07-2012, 10:51 PM
All the wonderful support here has really boosted my morale. I am sorry to have hijacked Dayle's thread since it is very important she receive what she paid for, but at the same time all the kindness has been really inspirational. Thank you all! :bigheart

Hijack away! I think your story really highlights just what is so frustrating about dealing with Lisa. In your case it would take her maybe a couple minutes to put your beautiful donation up on the website. She can't even do that! She doesn't even have to leave her home! :grin

Haven't heard a peep from the Paypal dispute (I was sort of expecting to wake up to an email from her, since in the past it seems she's pretty quick to respond once you resort to disputes). I'm not going to be surprised if she just lets the dispute tick on until Paypal refunds me the money by default.

Sweet Defense
06-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Very nice! I was torn whether to donate something or not, but I think I found the solution, at least maybe - I'm donating a painting certificate. That way I don't have to ship anything to Lisa and maybe it'll make some money for Lynn.

Beethovens7th
06-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Thank you Beethoven! They're all photos of the same jump, just set up slightly differently. I hope it appears on the auction table at Laughing Bear Live, as it was intended to do :)

Oh, i'm sure it will!:) It is so good! You are inspiring me, now!! Not that i do jumps, but CM's! Or i really should say, "repaints", :lol! i have to make one for Peach State Live for sure and i'd love to have one done in time for BOB!

4ever_Unbridled
06-07-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear this both Dayle and Caryn, I hope it works out for you two. And I just love that jump too! It really would be a shame to waste someone's donation.

Beethovens7th
06-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Hijack away! I think your story really highlights just what is so frustrating about dealing with Lisa. In your case it would take her maybe a couple minutes to put your beautiful donation up on the website. She can't even do that! She doesn't even have to leave her home! :grin

Haven't heard a peep from the Paypal dispute (I was sort of expecting to wake up to an email from her, since in the past it seems she's pretty quick to respond once you resort to disputes). I'm not going to be surprised if she just lets the dispute tick on until Paypal refunds me the money by default.

I'm sorry this is happening, Dayle. I wish Lisa would get with the program. If she has time to list stuff, she should have time to ship stuff inho!

Clare
06-08-2012, 04:10 AM
That is a lovely jump!

Her mother sometimes sends the models to help her out. That's been known among those who have done biz with them over the years. However, that has not seemed to be a consistent role, so it's hard for a buyer to know who is going to ship. It's been awhile but I've dealt with her mother and she was very nice.
Ah ok, I see... But then again a little communication goes a long way! :)

choobiemom
06-08-2012, 10:36 AM
That jump is just lovely, and if I was into performance showing I would be all over it in a minute! What a wonderful donation for the show! It's a shame that Lisa hasn't seen fit to post it on the Laughing Bear Live show website. Doesn't make any sense to me:dunno. I will be attending that show and will be sure to be on the lookout for it in person. I am sure it will do well for Lynn!

MBPearls
06-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Thinking back this morning, the jump situation is completely nonsensical. For one, Lisa is holding the show - to me, that means she VOLUNTEERED to hold it, that she agreed by holding it that she would have work to do and agreed to do said work. So not listing things on the website doesn't make sense. She's holding the show - it's FOR Lynn... why is she making it into this huge ugly ordeal?

In fact, I am more upset about Caryn's jump than I am about my model. Caryn donated it for Lynn, and Lisa is somehow ruining that gesture.

MountainHomeModels
06-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Goodness I didn't mean to upset you Dayle! The support is very much appreciated. I told my hubby about your Old Timer situation, and he was just appalled that in a month she couldn't get the horse to you. And he's a bit of a slow shipper himself...why I do all the birthday gift shipping ;) So for him to be shocked really says something. We're both glad you've filed a dispute with paypal!

To be fair, I've not contacted Lisa and applied pressure to see the jump on the website. I have written her on several occasions asking if the jump has received any bids or has any interest, and her response was always that she'd be photographing and posting the jump on the site that evening or the next day. So I have not emailed her angry or demanding about the jump being posted on the website. But I have let her know how much it means to me to help Lynn, especially given the fact I have gone through many of the same medical issues as Lynn (not cancer, thank goodness).

Thank you Susan, I am really glad you like the jump! And I appreciate your offer to check for it at the show, that would be fantastic :) I really hope it appears on the auction or raffle table there. I am trying to stay positive and think the best!

onekindacowboy
06-08-2012, 10:24 PM
OK I am going to say it since I can't be the only one. Is anyone one attending or connected to show concerned about the time it will take for donation money to get to recipient? Tammy Rogers

Jujube12
06-08-2012, 11:30 PM
You're not the only one, by a mile I bet. It feels very awkward, since I think we are all pro-Lynn. I'm not sure she had anything to do with this show.

--Julie

Sweet Defense
06-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Lynn is aware of the show: http://lafnbearstudio.blogspot.com/

MBPearls
06-09-2012, 03:18 PM
She's aware, but that doesn't mean Lisa will come through. If she can't ship out her own stuff in a timely manner, or take photos for the very show that is a benefit, who is to say she'll actually do right by Lynn?

I guess Lisa was also complaining about Springamathing on the Stone Facebook page, but apparently it got deleted before I could read it. :ever

MountainHomeModels
06-09-2012, 03:31 PM
This is just an etiquette question, mainly because I have only been to a few shows myself and am hosting my own show this coming September (yes, when I get into something, I really jump in with both feet!) :)

Is it considered exceptionally rude to complain or badmouth a show publicly? I understand nobody can be happy all of the time, but if you have a grievance to air, shouldn't it be done privately with the show host, or a representative with the show? I have been fortunate enough to not have any show I attended go poorly. In fact, I had a fantastic time at them all, which is part of what made me so eager to host my own. But I just wonder if a public bashing is something I should perhaps anticipate and prepare myself for my own show. I just don't want to be completely blindswiped if this is more common than not and it happens to me and my show.

Many thanks! :)

Sweet Defense
06-09-2012, 03:52 PM
This is just an etiquette question, mainly because I have only been to a few shows myself and am hosting my own show this coming September (yes, when I get into something, I really jump in with both feet!) :)

Is it considered exceptionally rude to complain or badmouth a show publicly? I understand nobody can be happy all of the time, but if you have a grievance to air, shouldn't it be done privately with the show host, or a representative with the show? I have been fortunate enough to not have any show I attended go poorly. In fact, I had a fantastic time at them all, which is part of what made me so eager to host my own. But I just wonder if a public bashing is something I should perhaps anticipate and prepare myself for my own show. I just don't want to be completely blindswiped if this is more common than not and it happens to me and my show.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it isn't done.

I'm hoping she comes through for Lynn, I think there will be enough pressure given who has donated (based on Lynn's list) where Lisa will hopefully comply. I did decide the safest thing I could do was donate a painting certificate rather than an actual horse.

Keren
06-09-2012, 07:49 PM

People are people: complaining can and will happen (even if there is nothing to justify it) IF the people involved are so minded. However it's not a regular occurrence: unless something is really 'off' with an event, any dissatisfaction people may have is usually not shared with the world, though there may be the odd spot of harrumphing between friends. It never hurts to be prepared, but in all honesty, I wouldn't worry about the chance of it happening! :)

Keren

Morgen
06-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Pokes head out -sighs- .. Nothing as nice as MountainHomeModels donation but I donated a 20% off gift certificate. I'd love it if someone could confirm for me it went to & was raffled or auctioned off at hte show. It can (easily right now) have up to around a $50 value so I'd like for it to get given away for the cause. I did (emailed) it electronically so I wondered if that was why no mention of it on the website.

But I really can't chase after donations to see if they get used of course. I'm sure it will be, just throwing it out there since MountainHomeModels mentioned her's and I'm just not sure how else to ask people to check for me since I don't know who's going. Tx guys! :)

choobiemom
06-09-2012, 10:18 PM
I will be attending the show and will be glad to verify that MountainHome's jump, Beatha's painting certificate, and Morgen's certificate were there and raffled/auctioned off. I do understand the hesitation involved with the donations and hopefully the worry will have been unnecessary. :)

MBPearls
06-09-2012, 10:31 PM
I think any issues with the show should be handled at the show itself. If you want a judge to explain their placings, ask! Every judge I've encountered is more than happy to share why they placed things in a certain way. If you don't like the way a class is handled (like, say, certain breeds showing against one another), then talk to the showholder or judges. I had to get the judges to create a Collectibility class because they didn't have a spot where "King" (from the Vintage Club) would go (and Desatado, had anyone had one at that point, would have needed that class as well).

As long as you aren't mad about something, I think it's perfectly fine to discuss it online with others, but if something at the show truly angered you, I don't think you should air your dirty laundry. That typically never ends well for the angry person, because more often than not they end up turning people against their argument with their attitude. I've seen some truly legitimate show gripes that I knew the person was absolutely right to be mad about, but they way they approached it made me have zero sympathy.

I also go to shows for fun and socialization and to look at pretty ponies, I don't expect to win or even bring home any ribbons. If I come home empty-handed, I'm not disappointed because I didn't build myself up. If I come home with some ribbons, then it's a bonus. I congratulate owners of great models and try to make everyone smile at least once. Life's too short to take shows as seriously as some do. But I think that about everything.

Sweet Defense
06-09-2012, 11:33 PM
I will be attending the show and will be glad to verify that MountainHome's jump, Beatha's painting certificate, and Morgen's certificate were there and raffled/auctioned off. I do understand the hesitation involved with the donations and hopefully the worry will have been unnecessary. :)

Thank you!

mobyus
06-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Choobiemom, I must say that is very gracious of you! If I may make a suggestion, I'd say that it would be great if some showers who are attending could offer to take whatever notes they can on what is auctioned, and what the sales prices are, however possible. I do realize how difficult that can be in the chaos of a live show! I'm also not sure who, besides Lisa, is going to be involved in the show, particularly in recording duties?

Please know that I am not pointing an accusatory finger at Lisa, or implying she isn't doing something generous and gracious in organizing this benefit! However, I have years of experience running a charitable organization, and sadly I also have experience in discovering a board member was skimming off the top... so while I am in NO WAY suggesting this is an issue here, it is always critical that fundraising be absolutely transparent. This includes involving multiple uninterested third parties in overseeing fundraising activities. It is the only way to ensure that there is trust from donors in the organization (read: hobby) to continue offering their support.

MBPearls
06-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Well, I got my Old Timer. Amazing, since she shipped him two days after I opened my dispute (and it took him a whole 2 days to get here):

http://morganvalleystables.com/images/modelhorses/bickfordshipping.JPG

Still, it's a RED LIGHT all the way. She didn't ship for 5 weeks after getting payment, she drove several states to a show but couldn't drive to the post office, and then she had to have a Paypal dispute to get her to ship it. I wouldn't deal with her again if she was selling my holiest of holy grails for a buck.

MountainHomeModels
06-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I am so glad to hear you got your Old Timer Dayle! What a relief!!

Morgen, I don't think anybody's donation is 'nicer' than anybody else's...it's the spirit of the donation that matters. The fact that you're donating a gift certificate still means you'll work hard on whatever that certificate is put towards, just like I worked hard on the jump. Big or small, every piece counts just as much as all the others :hugg

Thank you so SO much Susan, for checking up on everybody's donations! Personally I'd love photos of the donation tables as well, just to see all the neat stuff on them, if you'd be so kind to perhaps snap a few :)

mobyus, I tend to agree with you. It would be nice to know what things end up going for, especially pieces Blabbers donated. That way we can all cheer for each other!

onekindacowboy
06-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Choobiemom, I must say that is very gracious of you! If I may make a suggestion, I'd say that it would be great if some showers who are attending could offer to take whatever notes they can on what is auctioned, and what the sales prices are, however possible. I do realize how difficult that can be in the chaos of a live show! I'm also not sure who, besides Lisa, is going to be involved in the show, particularly in recording duties?

Please know that I am not pointing an accusatory finger at Lisa, or implying she isn't doing something generous and gracious in organizing this benefit! However, I have years of experience running a charitable organization, and sadly I also have experience in discovering a board member was skimming off the top... so while I am in NO WAY suggesting this is an issue here, it is always critical that fundraising be absolutely transparent. This includes involving multiple uninterested third parties in overseeing fundraising activities. It is the only way to ensure that there is trust from donors in the organization (read: hobby) to continue offering their support.

This is so true.....and good for ANYONE who works in volunteer organizations to note....

choobiemom
06-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Heck, I am going to be there so will be glad to take whatever notes I can on the raffle/auction items! No problem--glad to help!

choobiemom
06-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Thank you so SO much Susan, for checking up on everybody's donations! Personally I'd love photos of the donation tables as well, just to see all the neat stuff on them, if you'd be so kind to perhaps snap a few :)

!

I will be glad to do that also MountainHome! I will enlist NatalieK's help if need be as she is going also. I plan to take tons of pics of all the eye candy to post after the show.

Mary
06-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Major Mod Note

Original purpose of TTB and all that ... there is NO speculating about something not-so-good that someone MIGHT do !!! :doh (anywhere on Blab) Posting about transactions is what TTB is about. Generally trashing people is NOT OK - such as posting that someone "might" or might not do something untoward later on.

The transaction posted about is concluded. If there is any more speculating about the show donations, this thread WILL BE CLOSED.

There are other avenues for handling other issues that have not yet occurred ... and they may not be on Blab. The subject of the donation was raised in this thread but it isn't actually connected to this transaction, and isn't really similar (in my view.) It's time to take that discussion to another thread, in accordance with TTB rules & regs. Please read again both the sticky notes in TTB and the FAQ/Rules section about TTB before doing so ... and be aware of Blab's policies on discussing other hobbyists in any other forum ... thanks.

Thanks for keeping the rules & regs of TTB & Blab in mind.