PDA

View Full Version : International Shipping Help

RobinHoodFan
07-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Looking for those of you with experiance shipping oversease from USA. I'd like to offer international on my medallion that i'm getting ready for sale here and just curios how to do this. (what forms to fill out, costs, best options, tracking, insurance, etc). It's a small medallion so its very light. Flat rate box at $12.95 seems pretty pricey for that. SO i'm thinking 1st class international. I'm mostly concerned about tracking/insurance type stuff. Does first class international have tracking info outside the US? Does anything? Which forms do I fill out? I prefer to do as much online as possible as I do not have the time to stand on line at the PO. So Ideally I'd like to: Ship as cheap as possible, print postage online, print/fill out forms online and just drop off at PO. How do I do this in the most efficient way?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

mobyus
07-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I've shipped to Canada, Germany and Russia using regular Priority International (it's generally cheaper to go variable rate based on weight/size, not the flat rate). You can fill out the forms online at USPS.com & print them out to save yourself that step. However, I don't know of a way to actually purchase the postage online. I get the weight, measurements, completed customs forms, and the box addressed then take the whole caboodle to the PO. I do buy insurance; when figuring out the rate online it will tell you the cost to add that.
I don't know if someone else has an easier way, but it hasn't been much harder than shipping in the US. :dunno

RobinHoodFan
07-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I thought you could print international through paypal?....i would think you should be able to do it through the usps site as well...checking now.

RobinHoodFan
07-07-2012, 01:53 PM
hmmm...cant seem to check paypal for sure since i dont have any international payments to print a label for...it doesnt let you do it through the multi shipping, i know that..but i thought you should be able to do it when paid directly from a different country...but it looks like i could do it manually through the USPS click-n-ship.

As for regular priority mail international, according to usps, it would cost about $24, flat rate priority international $12.95 and First class international about $5-6, . I'd assume my best option is 1st class international..but is it trackable outside USA?

ravensgate
07-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Where are you getting your prices? Small flat rate box International is $16.95 Unless you are talking Canada which is typically cheaper than standard overseas.

Straight through Paypal, no I don't think you can do International labels. If it's through Ebay I know you can cause I ship internationally all the time through there. Should be able to through Click N Ship but I don't use them very often. I don't think you can for First Class though....at least you couldn't a few years back when I was using them if I recall correctly. If it's for a medallion your best bet for you and the customer is First Class shipping with an option to ship Priority Flat rate. But as far as printing labels online you may be out of luck unless you put them on Ebay. I'm not 100% sure though, so just try and double check.

ravensgate
07-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Ok, I DO have an international payment on Paypal I just checked. YOu can print labels but it has to go Priority or Express...no First Class option. You DO have First Class option on International through Ebay.

ravensgate
07-07-2012, 02:07 PM
OH, and one more thing. First Class shipping International is all over the place. It can be $3 on up to $8 depending on which country it's shipping to (and I'm talking packages under 6 ounces, not sure how much higher you go up when weight is more). There's no 'flat cost' unless you're doing Flat Rate Priority.

ramiethepeep
07-07-2012, 02:24 PM
FWIW I have had MUCH better luck with Int. First-Class than I have with Priority - go freaking figure. I had multiple Priority packages take 5+ weeks to show up, whereas a First-Class package trotted its way to Canada in about a week and a half. Same transit time to send a small sculpture to England.

As for tracking on First-Class International, you have a little bit - the Customs form has a number on it which provides a wee bit of tracking. Not much.

Basically, I looked at it this way: my cost to replace a (white, unpainted, totally standard) copy of my medallion was substantially less than the price increase for going to fully trackable shipping. I hit on this idea from a blog entry by the brilliant brilliant Morgen Kilbourn, who said the same thing about insurance: it was less of a headache to replace a casting than it was to argue with the PO over an insurance claim, especially when she considered the money she saved.. $3 a horse adds up, fast. I have the same argument about fully trackable shipping, especially for something like a medallion - if it goes stray, oh well. I'll send another one.

Obviously, it's a different ball of wax with any kind of OOAK or painted medallion; at that point the insurance claim gives you the $$ to refund your customer or hopefully replace the piece as best as possible.

RobinHoodFan
07-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Where are you getting your prices? Small flat rate box International is $16.95 Unless you are talking Canada which is typically cheaper than standard overseas.

Straight through Paypal, no I don't think you can do International labels. If it's through Ebay I know you can cause I ship internationally all the time through there. Should be able to through Click N Ship but I don't use them very often. I don't think you can for First Class though....at least you couldn't a few years back when I was using them if I recall correctly. If it's for a medallion your best bet for you and the customer is First Class shipping with an option to ship Priority Flat rate. But as far as printing labels online you may be out of luck unless you put them on Ebay. I'm not 100% sure though, so just try and double check.
looked on usps.com...large dvd box said $12.95 :confused: OHHH ..hmm...well i did plug in canada for a basis...that could be why it's cheaper. Good idea with offering priority at additional cost...:thumbsup. Do you know if first class int'l tracks delivery confirmation outside US? I have shipped to Canada before but i cant remember how i printed the label...im pretty certain it was through paypal...i dont think I ever paid at the PO manually...I think if someone pays you with an international address, paypal should in theory let you go through with international shipping..i hope...after all ebay/paypal are one in the same now yes? It's just all weird...guess it will end up being a learning experience either way...may lose some $$ but at least i'll figure this thing out once and for all.

ravensgate
07-07-2012, 02:43 PM
No, you can't track First Class. You'll have a Customs # and may be able to get somewhere if you go to your PO and have THEM plug it in but as far as you tracking it online, 98% of the time, no, you can't track it. I've had a few I could track though so it's possible, just not likely. And yes, $12.95 is for Canada. Overseas is $16.95.

As far as printing First Class with a direct Paypal payment, you may be able to with Canada. But you can't with other countries....I just checked it on my own International direct payments. All you have is Priority or Express and that's it. Canada rates and possibly how Paypal views Canada are different because you don't have to go over a giant body of water to get there:grin

ETA: And yes it's never made sense to me why I can ship First Class International through Ebay but not Paypal when Ebay owns Paypal. Actually pretty dang stupid if you ask me!

RobinHoodFan
07-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Some great info here. I'm going to stick with 1st class and see how it goes. Keeping fingers crossed :crossfingers

ravensgate
07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Oh, wanted to agree with Ramie. I've had way better luck with First Class over Priority. Expensive stuff I ship Express since it's only a couple bucks more than Priority (they charge more for insurance on Priority than they do for Express, so it works itself out....idiots). I wound up making my DVDs postage paid for International First Class. Yeah, I lose a bit of money on some of them if the shipping is higher but I've made it for it in the increases sales. Before I only charged $5 for First Class but it just seems like a better deal if I charge nothing. It's a matter of 'DVD collects dust, doesn't sell' or 'DVD sells, momma makes $5'.:lol

RobinHoodFan
07-07-2012, 05:12 PM
:lol

Sweet Defense
07-07-2012, 05:23 PM
If it's replaceable, then First Class, but as has been said, not on the USPS site or on PayPal (I think the USPS site is why PayPal doesn't offer it). The bad thing is that PayPal won't let you buy insurance for international, but the USPS site will, so if someone wants insurance, go through the USPS site, you can buy insurance up to $500 on there. I haven't used shipping through Ebay, but I generally have the post office come pick up my boxes using PayPal or USPS. That's free. Make sure that your boxes are big enough for the customs forms, which you'll print out online, and make sure you order the little "envelope" you need to put them and stick to the box. Make sure you sign all the copies, not just electronically, but really sign by your electronic signature, someone at the post office suggested that to me. The customs form is about half the size of a standard piece of paper, and it's printed on standard paper, not the sticky labels. You don't need separate labels for the box, the whole address, etc, is on the customs form.

MountainHomeModels
07-07-2012, 06:33 PM
As a side note, USPS Priority or anything else USPS doesn't offer tracking outside the USA. I've never been able to track a package after it's left the US with anything I've sent to Canada, England, Germany or Australia, and when I asked the PO about international tracking, they explained it's not available because outside the US, packages are handed off to another country's postal service and they can't tie into that service to offer tracking. The only way you can track internationally from point A to B, as I understand it, is by going with a global shipping network like FedEx, which is very expensive.

msbrown2468
07-07-2012, 06:40 PM
could you ship the medallion in a padded envelope rather than a box? maybe it is cheaper?

RobinHoodFan
07-07-2012, 06:41 PM
could you ship the medallion in a padded envelope rather than a box? maybe it is cheaper?

I could...but i wouldn't trust it going overseas like that since it does have a horn that i'd be afraid would break.

RobinHoodFan
07-07-2012, 06:42 PM
As a side note, USPS Priority or anything else USPS doesn't offer tracking outside the USA. I've never been able to track a package after it's left the US with anything I've sent to Canada, England, Germany or Australia, and when I asked the PO about international tracking, they explained it's not available because outside the US, packages are handed off to another country's postal service and they can't tie into that service to offer tracking. The only way you can track internationally from point A to B, as I understand it, is by going with a global shipping network like FedEx, which is very expensive.

US sucks..lol..i know you can track stuff from other countries to here (i've done it with stuff i've ordered from the UK and the netherlands before--door to door..worked fine)..

ravensgate
07-07-2012, 06:54 PM

That's not true. Most of the time you can track Priority International and you can ALWAYS track Express International and GEM. I just tracked a package into Germany and know when it left the US, when it got into customs, when it cleared customs, when they attempted delivery, when it was delivered. And it only cost $3-4 more than Priority would have:)

Here's the page so you can see for yourself

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=EG789261162US

If that doesn't work here's the tracking # so you can plug it into USPS to check

EG789261162US

The key is folks overseas have to scan it of course. But I have shipped a LOT of packages both Express and GEM and not once has it missed a scan along the way. I have...maybe twice in the last 8 years had a package miss a scan or go off the radar for a few days and both those were Priority International. Never happened with a faster service.

MountainHomeModels
07-07-2012, 07:30 PM
...Those jerks! I asked twice, at two different POs, about international tracking and each time they told me not possible. Arrrgh. Thank you Jaime! This is a huge help (btw your package will be going out Monday, friend's dad passed yesterday and got busy with that).

ravensgate
07-07-2012, 08:12 PM
That's the USPS CYA answer. Because technically it IS out of their hands once it leaves the states and it's up to the postal workers in the receiving country to do THEIR job. Lots of cooks in the kitchen of shipping Internationally;) However, if they told you flat out 'not possible AT ALL to track once it leaves the states', well, that's just a bold faced lie/I don't know what the hell I'm doing in my job sort of answer. As you can well see with my tracking info:yes

I love my post office workers, LOVE THEM. However, there are generally 3 of them at the counter at one time. I could ask a question to all three of them regarding International packages, and get at least 2 different answers. If it's in the states, most workers are pretty savvy...most, not all. But when it comes to International there is some sort of curtain that comes over their eyes.:lol And I pick on them for it but only cause I'm in there so much we are buddies. It's not so much of a 'gaaah, don't you know how to do your job' as a 'come on, what do you mean you don't know the rates off the top of your head if I'm sending a package to Finland, doesn't everyone ship packages to Finland every week???' Ya know, I kid with them:) There is a colossal amount of information for them to know and when it comes to 'what am I going to use the LEAST in my job' that's probably International so they don't keep up with everything on it. I can't say that I quite blame them.

ETA: No worries on the package, my condolences to your friend.:hugg

RivnRo
07-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I get stuff tracked to me all the time.. Doesn't always work and can get kind of funny at times but usually once it crosses the border I just have to put the same number into the canadapost website for the most up to date status.

As to the bubble mailer, ray has sent maaaaany medallions that way. However. That horn is already a liability on shipping that sucker and protecting it will be trixxy. I think I have shipping the medallions of horned down.. So long as I don't over glitter bomb the interior package

ravensgate
07-07-2012, 09:05 PM
I get stuff tracked to me all the time.. Doesn't always work and can get kind of funny at times but usually once it crosses the border I just have to put the same number into the canadapost website for the most up to date status.

As to the bubble mailer, ray has sent maaaaany medallions that way. However. That horn is already a liability on shipping that sucker and protecting it will be trixxy. I think I have shipping the medallions of horned down.. So long as I don't over glitter bomb the interior package

Don't forget, you sent me a whole horse in a bubble envelope and it got here in one piece! First Class too I think right? And no, Shauna doesn't pack like that, it was a body and we were kinda testing a theory. I didn't care if it arrived in pieces:lol

RivnRo
07-07-2012, 09:06 PM
And I had three more to send :D

Morgen was going to send me a body quality Kipling loose. Like stamps on the horse full stop. But they wouldn't let her :D

RobinHoodFan
07-07-2012, 11:21 PM
:lol nice to see the system tested.

RivnRo
07-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Well I guess folks mail coconuts and stuff for wedding invites sooooo...