PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Stone and their order entry system!

luckyguess
12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Just got off the phone w/ Stone about a Reindeer Roundup I ordered in the middle of November. Of course, payment was taken from my account right away. I still haven't received the model which was supposed to ship in December. I was starting to think maybe I should have asked, "December of WHAT YEAR?" Anyway, I finally called them this morning. They showed my order as being cancelled. I never cancelled anything. Don't you think I would have asked for a refund if I cancelled my order? Anyway, the guy I talked to was real nice and said he would "try" to get this straightened out. I read here that other people seem to have issues with Stone's order entry and shipping too. What is up with that?

akwidman
12-28-2012, 11:35 AM
A couple years ago, I had one of my orders mysteriously cancelled too. I was quite bummed because by the time I called them about it, all the models had long been sold off. Hopefully you'll be able to get your order staightened out since it is relatively recent!

ktbussey
12-28-2012, 11:41 AM
The amount of screwedupness that goes on at the factory is astounding - and I'll bet we don't know the half of it. I orderd a very limited run ISH called Sneaky Elf and paid half. Invoice from Stone and everything. Then about a week ago I get a nice, apologetic email from Peggy that somehow my order wasn't recorded right (or something) and the sample model had already been shipped off so they couldn't make mine, and oh well...too bad. I was SO disappointed - still am!

PolarVrtX
12-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I've had one order applied to the wrong person, but it was in the warehouse sale madness a couple of years ago, so I was sort of forgiving (but still bummed about missing the warehouse special I wanted). Twice I've had them ship me the same model twice, one was a run of 30 and the other was a duplicate DAH. That was sort of amusing and they let me keep the extra both times. (They assured me that no one else was missing a model). My biggest issue with their shipping/order system is that they do not update your address when you move... You can put your new address on the order but it doesn't matter. Their system still has your old address stored and they will send your model there. Last time I moved they sent a model to my old address THREE times before they finally changed my address in their system :doh I thought maybe I was just unlucky but I've seen several other people complain of the same thing happening to them. So, word of caution for anyone who moves!

I hope they are able to correct your order! :crossfingers

Keren
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I put in an order to be shipped to my friend in the US - which all went smoothly. HOWEVER, Stone then shipped a duplicate to my address in the UK!

Can we say disorganised?

Keren

MBPearls
12-28-2012, 02:00 PM
See, I moved, updated my address on Paypal and their site ASAP, and haven't had a single issue with them shipping anything to the wrong address. :dunno

I haven't *knocks on wood* had any issues with their order system either, but I've never done layaway.

I wonder if their issues aren't anything different than other companies, but more of the hobby being as small as it is so you hear about them more and it makes it seem like it happens more? Mistakes happen and all that jazz.

cheseri
12-28-2012, 02:06 PM
With the number of horror stories I hear about the stone company, I would NEVER buy one from the directly. Luckily I haven't loved any of their models enough to make that a disappointment for me but I am still always surprised how many people go back to them. I can't imagine anyone in our hobby getting away with that many red lights... I keep wondering why people still order from Stone :dunno.

Atlantalisa
12-28-2012, 06:25 PM
I recently had purchased a OOAK Weanling during one of their Friday night sales. After several weeks passed and I had not received it, I inquired. They stated that it was in the process of being glossed. No biggie, I knew they were trying to get ready for their December Warehouse Sale so figured things were getting a bit backed up. As it turns out, they ended up selling it at the Warehouse Sale, even after I inquired as to its whereabouts. They were very apologetic and offered to make another one for me, but I did not feel right about that. As the person who purchased "Shannan" probably would not appreciate that either. I did receive a refund. The thing is with Stone, they can really produce some awesome looking horses, and they are very addictive. I will continue to buy from them on occasion, but I will go in knowing that there will be a wait, and perhaps a hiccup, and I try not to have too much money tied up with them. Right now I only have 1 horse on order. I also want to mention that of the 2 horses I have sent back for repair, the repairs were nicely done and had a really quick turnaround.

bonnieboo12
12-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I had returned a DAH arabian for a simple repair and I never saw him again. When I called and asked, they said they had no idea where he went. I saw him in one of the baskets at the 2012 raffle/auction. At least I was refunded.

I also had ordered a "I Haza Heart" ISH and was sent somebody's OOAK I Haza Heart on the ASB mold. He was gorgeous and I actually found that person on blab and sent him back to Stone so he could be sent correctly. If I would have known a day sooner, I would have just shipped him to the new owner and charged Stone for the work. :lol

Two Fishies
12-28-2012, 10:48 PM
I've had one order applied to the wrong person, but it was in the warehouse sale madness a couple of years ago, so I was sort of forgiving (but still bummed about missing the warehouse special I wanted). Twice I've had them ship me the same model twice, one was a run of 30 and the other was a duplicate DAH. That was sort of amusing and they let me keep the extra both times. (They assured me that no one else was missing a model). My biggest issue with their shipping/order system is that they do not update your address when you move... You can put your new address on the order but it doesn't matter. Their system still has your old address stored and they will send your model there. Last time I moved they sent a model to my old address THREE times before they finally changed my address in their system :doh I thought maybe I was just unlucky but I've seen several other people complain of the same thing happening to them. So, word of caution for anyone who moves!

I hope they are able to correct your order! :crossfingers

I had that.

I was told my horse was shipped but he didn't show up after a week. I called them, and they finally gave me a tracking number. They never sent one to me when he shipped however I do get tracking numbers for other people's horses. I was still on the phone with them when I ran the tracking number, it showed that it was sent to the old address, yet the CS rep argued with me that it was sent to the corrected address I called in weeks before. :headbeat

When I picked up the box at a UPS sorting center, want to guess which address was on the box?

Atlantalisa
12-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Well, now I have to make a correction to my earlier post. I said I received a refund on my missing OOAK weanling that was sold to someone else. That was based on their response yesterday to check my PayPal account and that they had issued the refund on 12/13. I checked my account after I posted, and alas, no refund anywhere to be found. I'll have to call PayPal and Stone to find out what is going on. What a royal pain.

jjbreyer
12-29-2012, 09:20 AM
I too am always very leary of Stone. I really don't have many of their models, and typically buy in person. I've seen way to many for sale with rubs and marks on them at full price from them. If I can't look it over then I'm very learly of what I'll get. I've sent one model back to be fixed and specifically told them NOT to just cover the area in white like the other molds. Guess how he came back, yup, with the white over spray. Haven't cared for the model since and I specifically picked that one because he DIDN"T Have the white on him (it was a buckskin TWH). I ordered "Sutterland" a bout 6 months after the realease of 35 models. They "just had a order cancelled and he's still siting right here!" for me AMAZING!! Took 3 - 4 weeks to get. That was the last model I had ordered until this year. I ordered an appy from one of thier sales and when he arrived he was rubbed. Back he went and I ordered something else which did turn out nice. But I wont be ordering again. Too long of a wait for the first one.

Oh, and these aren't the first stories I've heard of Stone reselling models that have already been bought and paid for by hobbiest. Like Laurne said, if an other hobbiest tried to get away with this stuff there would be hell to pay. But people keep going back to Stone. Not really sure why.

onekindacowboy
12-29-2012, 09:38 AM
I guess because they are the only game in town for what they do. If their items were not classified as OF plastic I wonder where they would be?
tlrogers

Robin
12-29-2012, 10:41 AM
I look at buying from Stone as an "adventure." I've had some fun problems with them over the years (like the mysterious vanishing drafter that no one could find), though nothing so dramatic as some folks have had. If I want to buy something directly from Stone, I have to really want it--as in want it enough to put up with all the crud that comes along with ordering from them. I assume the model will take forever and show up screwed up. That way, I'm pleasantly surprised if there aren't any issues...and I can laugh about the ones that do come up.

dapple
12-29-2012, 11:33 AM
I think I must be one of the few to never have a problem with factory orders. I have three, all DAH, 2 from this year who arrived 2 days after their projected delivery date. I would have more stones but for me the prices are too high to buy more often.

Dapple

MBPearls
12-29-2012, 02:42 PM
People keep going back because when Stone gets it right they REALLY get it right. Breyer can't compare. And with the prices - you get a much lower run for the money.

Yes, when they get it wrong they can royally get it wrong too. But if you've been on the receiving end of the "right", you'll understand why people take the chance.

So far the only major delay I've had has been with my most recent DAH orders (Breyer doesn't even offer that, so the fact to essentially put together a model you like for under $100 is awesome) and Stone went and closed the program to catch up. I've always gone in the DAH with the knowledge it can take months, so that's no big deal. I had a model I bought a couple weeks ago that said it wouldn't ship until January, but he showed up on my door before Christmas. He was perfect and much better than the pictures showed.

At least when you get a flawed model they can try to make it right. You are stuck with most Breyer flaws (on RR models, with the SRs it seems that they aren't really helping out as much as they used to there).

PolarVrtX
12-29-2012, 03:58 PM
People keep going back because when Stone gets it right they REALLY get it right. Breyer can't compare. And with the prices - you get a much lower run for the money.

Yes, when they get it wrong they can royally get it wrong too. But if you've been on the receiving end of the "right", you'll understand why people take the chance.

That's exactly it. My uninitiated and impartial husband remarked to me on our first trip to Breyerfest (back when we were first dating) how much nicer he thought Stones were and why would anyone pay the same price for a Breyer? I was trying to decide whether to bid on something in the Equilocity auction or the BF auction and his opinion was that the Stones were more worth the money. I thought that was pretty interesting, because of course I'm biased from buying and selling both for so many years.

But anyway, at the core I agree. Stone's best models are absolutely fabulous. The paint jobs are second to none and the customization, when it's done well, is really fantastic. They truly are works of art. I've been collecting Stones since the very beginning, and I've had my moments when I was up to here with them because of problems or other "political" issues or what have you, but I keep coming back. I just love their product and like Robin said, I just go in expecting long delays and production problems, so when I get something beautiful and on time I can be extra-happy :D I still like to complain about it, though :lol

Sweet Defense
12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
See, I moved, updated my address on Paypal and their site ASAP, and haven't had a single issue with them shipping anything to the wrong address. :dunno

I haven't *knocks on wood* had any issues with their order system either, but I've never done layaway.

I wonder if their issues aren't anything different than other companies, but more of the hobby being as small as it is so you hear about them more and it makes it seem like it happens more? Mistakes happen and all that jazz.

I didn't have one either - until 6 years later, which amused me more than anything else. They gave me a partial refund and sent me a new DAH. I suspect they don't purge the old address when they get the new one (Amazon doesn't either, btw, unless you jump through a few hoops, nor does PayPal automatically).

horsefeathers
12-29-2012, 08:41 PM
That's exactly it. My uninitiated and impartial husband remarked to me on our first trip to Breyerfest (back when we were first dating) how much nicer he thought Stones were and why would anyone pay the same price for a Breyer? I was trying to decide whether to bid on something in the Equilocity auction or the BF auction and his opinion was that the Stones were more worth the money. I thought that was pretty interesting, because of course I'm biased from buying and selling both for so many years.

But anyway, at the core I agree. Stone's best models are absolutely fabulous. The paint jobs are second to none and the customization, when it's done well, is really fantastic. They truly are works of art. I've been collecting Stones since the very beginning, and I've had my moments when I was up to here with them because of problems or other "political" issues or what have you, but I keep coming back. I just love their product and like Robin said, I just go in expecting long delays and production problems, so when I get something beautiful and on time I can be extra-happy :D I still like to complain about it, though :lol

Yup- this is it in a nutshell. I think Stone knows it, and that's why we have problems.

I stopped collecting OF Breyers quite a long time ago, but I still collect OF Stones. Breyer was my first love, but they cannot on their very best day compete with Stone. (Not sure about the Conn. models but my last Breyer was the Weathergirls, who are just meh paint wise when stacked against most of my Stones.)

I buy Stones stupidly and often-despite the fact they have screwed up royally on me more than once-- sold my model, shipped the wrong ones, shipped terrible ones, and in this latest turn of fate- if you bought 3 Warehouse or Stocking stuffer models you got the 4th free--except- they haven't shipped those free models yet- just the paid ones! My friend also had to call and complain to get her free horse shipped to her.

I tell myself I'm going to stop ordering, but then they send something so exceptionally beautiful, that I just melt. Weak willed I am! But I appreciate how long it took to actually paint that model, as compared to the cookie-cutter version of mass-produced Breyer. What I do try to do is buy what I know they actually have on hand--they seem to be painting models as they get orders for them, and that's what is frustrating- they SHOULD be on hand! Are Heywood or Hampden the Sante Fe morgans on hand? Nope. Weren't a month ago, either-despite more than one person ordering them. I think they are waiting till they have something palomino to paint- it seems to go that way.

When I look on the Stone reference site and recognize the regular run horse I own as the exact same one off that site- it shows me what a really small company they actually are, as I own about 115 Stones--many bought in the last 3-4 years. Many are small runs of 5, but it seems they are almost OOAKs, with only 1-2 in existence.

I don't show, but I imagine if I did- most well painted Stones without terrible mold issues would stand up better in the show ring than OF Breyers, right? (I have no idea because I don't show...so I may be assuming wrongly!)

WPDR
12-29-2012, 08:44 PM
I recently had purchased a OOAK Weanling during one of their Friday night sales. After several weeks passed and I had not received it, I inquired. They stated that it was in the process of being glossed. No biggie, I knew they were trying to get ready for their December Warehouse Sale so figured things were getting a bit backed up. As it turns out, they ended up selling it at the Warehouse Sale, even after I inquired as to its whereabouts. They were very apologetic and offered to make another one for me, but I did not feel right about that. As the person who purchased "Shannan" probably would not appreciate that either. I did receive a refund. The thing is with Stone, they can really produce some awesome looking horses, and they are very addictive. I will continue to buy from them on occasion, but I will go in knowing that there will be a wait, and perhaps a hiccup, and I try not to have too much money tied up with them. Right now I only have 1 horse on order. I also want to mention that of the 2 horses I have sent back for repair, the repairs were nicely done and had a really quick turnaround.

http://www.stonehorses.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=42&flypage=OOAKs.tpl&product_id=3824&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=188

This one looks a lot like him!

horsefeathers
12-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah- they added another small spot or two, and changed it just enough to have it almost but not quite, like Shannon the 1st...

Mary
12-30-2012, 01:22 AM
... I wonder if their issues aren't anything different than other companies, but more of the hobby being as small as it is so you hear about them more and it makes it seem like it happens more? Mistakes happen and all that jazz.
There are very few companies with issues like the Stone company that stay in business. The Stone co. survives because it is a small hobby market, their clientele doesn't feel they have that many options and they want the models badly.

These days there are many management techniques to manage out the errors. It's not difficult to do at all, but it is a matter of knowing how.

If another company approaches this market with a product of this quality (when it is good) and in this price range, and is managed well enough to avoid most of these errors, that company will put a serious hurt on Stone. The only reason that hasn't been done already, I think, is the shocking-high start-up costs.

lifeishorsesarelove
12-30-2012, 07:19 PM
I've never had any problems with Stone... but I've never bought anything from them, either! :toothy
I can't understand why people keep buying from them. I've chosen not to give them my business just from seeing how they treat their current customers. If I have a burning desire for a Stone, I'll buy secondhand.

horsefeathers
12-31-2012, 02:51 AM
I've never had any problems with Stone... but I've never bought anything from them, either! :toothy
I can't understand why people keep buying from them. I've chosen not to give them my business just from seeing how they treat their current customers. If I have a burning desire for a Stone, I'll buy secondhand.
Personally speaking, I'm just toally, exasperatingly weak-willed!
I swear I won't buy another horse direct from Stone, but then something comes along that I really like, and I gamble and hope for the best. It often goes badly, and I totally agree we the hobbiests are what keeps them from bankruptcy. Barely. Every week I wonder if this will be the week they go ..".t_ts up." But I love their horses when they are good, and there's just nothing like Stone horses that are well done. So I add to their problem and enable them to continue to mess around with people.

Sweet Defense
12-31-2012, 02:52 PM
So far, knock on wood, that's been the only issue I've had in many years, so I'm not going to stop buying them because of that. They handled it well, so I'm happy.

Atlantalisa
01-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Yeah- they added another small spot or two, and changed it just enough to have it almost but not quite, like Shannon the 1st...

Yes - I noticed this as well and had to do a double-take. It looks very close to the original, but with mapping around the spots. What I loved about the original Shannan was the way they had re-sculpted the mane. This new little imposter does not have the same mane.

Susan B
01-01-2013, 01:49 PM
There are very few companies with issues like the Stone company that stay in business. The Stone co. survives because it is a small hobby market, their clientele doesn't feel they have that many options and they want the models badly.

These days there are many management techniques to manage out the errors. It's not difficult to do at all, but it is a matter of knowing how.

If another company approaches this market with a product of this quality (when it is good) and in this price range, and is managed well enough to avoid most of these errors, that company will put a serious hurt on Stone. The only reason that hasn't been done already, I think, is the shocking-high start-up costs.

So true. If someone wrote a book about the Stone company no one would believe it wasn't fiction. They survive in spite of themselves. It is a great testament to the love of equine artistry on the part of collectors that this disorganized, customer abusing (sorry but I think the word fits) company still exists.

I would like to see the artists and the visionaries at Stone--and also the packers, shippers, floor scrubbers and everyone-- get a chance to produce within a different and better framework. It would be interesting to see what these talented, dedicated people can do when inspired by great leadership.

MBPearls
01-01-2013, 03:22 PM
See, I LOVE that mane on Northern Lights... that's my favorite upright mane on the Weaner I can remember seeing. So many of the others just look weird.

Sweet Defense
01-01-2013, 03:45 PM
So true. If someone wrote a book about the Stone company no one would believe it wasn't fiction. They survive in spite of themselves. It is a great testament to the love of equine artistry on the part of collectors that this disorganized, customer abusing (sorry but I think the word fits) company still exists.

I would like to see the artists and the visionaries at Stone--and also the packers, shippers, floor scrubbers and everyone-- get a chance to produce within a different and better framework. It would be interesting to see what these talented, dedicated people can do when inspired by great leadership.

It's not that rare for companies to do things to screw themselves up. In fact, I've seen more of that than the opposite. I know of a couple of cancer meds that will not make it to market because the company got in the way of itself, and then look at the banks.

Mary
01-01-2013, 07:15 PM
It's not that rare for companies to do things to screw themselves up. In fact, I've seen more of that than the opposite. I know of a couple of cancer meds that will not make it to market because the company got in the way of itself, and then look at the banks.
Not comparable with retail, with all due respect. :)

Sweet Defense
01-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Not comparable with retail, with all due respect. :)

But they're not a typical store. As for retail, I don't have as much familiarity with them, but someone on a list is just now fighting with Toshiba, which is more analogous to Stone as far as that they create a product and sell it themselves but aren't retail store. She's not getting anywhere with them, despite her computer dying after 4 days. If you want examples, well, I know of more than 1 mail-order flower store that sends wilty flowers or very poor flowers. We get them as presents, and they're worse than anything I've ever seen from Stone. Hate it, because how do you tell the giver that they're wasting their money on these flowers, but then you get them again. And, they're major names. And then Amazon, it's very easy to end up having things sent to an old address if you aren't paying 100% attention - I've tossed out my old address on them, and suddenly it shows up again several months later. Brick and mortar stores it's more difficult, since you can examine the merchandise, but mail order can be an issue, no matter if it's Stone or anyone else.

Oh, and look at the people who get funky horses from Breyer.

So, I don't think it's all that unusual.

Oh, and the mail order camera store in New York that never, ever sent out any cameras until a year later with a lot of screaming. They're still around, I see their ads all the time. All I can hope is that they were actually bought by someone who turned them around. When I went there, they didn't have any of the cameras they supposedly sold in stock - the actual store was about 3x6 feet. We went there because a friend had bought a camera from them and they kept stalling her. We went there several times and she finally got a refund, but not after a lot of fighting and probably because we could go there and be a problem. They are cheap, though....

annimac
01-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Beatha- what camera store was that?

Sweet Defense
01-01-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm drawing a blank on it, it was around the 40's, not downtown where more of the camera stores were. I only buy from B&H, I've been there, it's a real store for real photographers, not a hole-in-the-wall.

Sweet Defense
01-01-2013, 10:40 PM
This might be helpful, although of course it pushes Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/digital%20camera?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2YR3CD9165C4&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx31GYECYETMWDK
This is actual fraud, not what Stone is doing.

Neurotoxinx
01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
I figure this may be a good/related thread to ask - I ordered three factory second bodies from Stone last Friday the 28th, got a confirmation email, but never got a shipping notice and can't access their link to their website to view my order details. I've never had a problem from Stone before - I guess that happens when I've only ordered one other time, lol - should I email them?

Liberty
01-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Just got off the phone w/ Stone about a Reindeer Roundup I ordered in the middle of November. Of course, payment was taken from my account right away. I still haven't received the model which was supposed to ship in December. I was starting to think maybe I should have asked, "December of WHAT YEAR?" Anyway, I finally called them this morning. They showed my order as being cancelled. I never cancelled anything. Don't you think I would have asked for a refund if I cancelled my order? Anyway, the guy I talked to was real nice and said he would "try" to get this straightened out. I read here that other people seem to have issues with Stone's order entry and shipping too. What is up with that?

:tapemouth:dohdoh:uh:1hammer:headbeat um... yeah, where to begin? I don't even know if I want to list here all the mad things that have happened to me with mistakes that Stone's shipping dept etc have made!!!!!! Just can't be bothered to hash it out all over again. Suffice to say ~ 'lost' models, wrong models sent, duplicate models sent, yada yada yada yada. Add to that OOAK models sold twice......... Enough. And yes, I still buy from them! :goinginsa

horsefeathers
01-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Just got off the phone w/ Stone about a Reindeer Roundup I ordered in the middle of November. Of course, payment was taken from my account right away. I still haven't received the model which was supposed to ship in December. I was starting to think maybe I should have asked, "December of WHAT YEAR?" Anyway, I finally called them this morning. They showed my order as being cancelled. I never cancelled anything. Don't you think I would have asked for a refund if I cancelled my order? Anyway, the guy I talked to was real nice and said he would "try" to get this straightened out. I read here that other people seem to have issues with Stone's order entry and shipping too. What is up with that? There's a Reindeer Roundup on sale right now on their site- you may want to check about it? It's 71.99, 20% off.

smushybanana
01-05-2013, 04:09 AM
I figure this may be a good/related thread to ask - I ordered three factory second bodies from Stone last Friday the 28th, got a confirmation email, but never got a shipping notice and can't access their link to their website to view my order details. I've never had a problem from Stone before - I guess that happens when I've only ordered one other time, lol - should I email them?

I've never gotten a shipping notice for the seconds bodies, but they always eventually show up. It has taken 1-4 weeks, so I wouldn't worry yet.

Neurotoxinx
01-05-2013, 04:44 AM
I've never gotten a shipping notice for the seconds bodies, but they always eventually show up. It has taken 1-4 weeks, so I wouldn't worry yet.
Alright, thanks. The emails from the first order are long gone, so I couldn't remember if I had gotten a shipping notice. I know those bodies shipped a bit quicker, but I won't worry if it's normal. :)