PDA

View Full Version : Editing Posts

champlain
05-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Is there some way to not edit posts after a certain amount of time? Like under a week? Under 3 days? There really shouldn't be a way to change a post after a certain amount of time. Just an idea...:) Kate

Heather
05-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Not really...generally, posts wind up getting quoted further on down in a thread, and the original content will remain in those posts containing the quotes even if the original is edited, as long as it's quoted prior to being edited (did that make sense? :uh).

However, there has been a couple instances when we have taken away editing privileges when they've been abused (including once preemptively for a short period as well). We do have the forum set up for that, so if anyone is concerned that the editing feature is being *abused*, please take it up with a mod/admin and we'll determine if that dreaded "further action" is necessary.

Very valid concern/question!!

BettyBarBandit
05-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Not really...generally, posts wind up getting quoted further on down in a thread, and the original content will remain in those posts containing the quotes even if the original is edited, as long as it's quoted prior to being edited (did that make sense? :uh).

However, there has been a couple instances when we have taken away editing privileges when they've been abused (including once preemptively for a short period as well). We do have the forum set up for that, so if anyone is concerned that the editing feature is being *abused*, please take it up with a mod/admin and we'll determine if that dreaded "further action" is necessary.

Very valid concern/question!!
I have to say that, in the thread, "Help,"...this was not the case. A post was quoted well before it was edited, however, if you go back to the original post that the quote appears in, you get the edited version.

KatieMcc421
05-29-2005, 10:48 PM
See, the problem there Betty was that the post wasn't actually "quoted". It was linked to. If she had used the quote feature while posting, the original text would have remained in the quote, even after the edits were made. As it stands, the link sends you to current (edited) version of the thread.

I really hate that one doofus can screw with the priveliges (sp?) of the whole community:(

PS - Any possibility of a spellcheck feature in the future?

BettyBarBandit
05-29-2005, 10:57 PM
See, the problem there Betty was that the post wasn't actually "quoted". It was linked to. If she had used the quote feature while posting, the original text would have remained in the quote, even after the edits were made. As it stands, the link sends you to current (edited) version of the thread.

I really hate that one doofus can screw with the priveliges (sp?) of the whole community:(

Ahaaaaaa!! I get it!

wobbler_kitty
06-10-2005, 12:54 AM

It can be done on an individual basis. :wink

Now THAT would be nice! Probably not happening, but nice!