PDA

View Full Version : language

whitetail ridge
05-30-2005, 02:53 PM
I don't mind the bs smiley and stuff like that but...can you do something when a poster uses the f word repeatedly in a post???I just don't see a need for it!!!!!

BearsnBugs
05-30-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't mind the bs smiley and stuff like that but...can you do something when a poster uses the f word repeatedly in a post???I just don't see a need for it!!!!!

There is a reminder about language posted:

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14111

If you come across a post that is littered with the f-word, please PM a mod with your concern or use the report a post feature (the red triangle) to notify of the repeated use of the f-word in a post and we'll address it.

Thanks!
Tina

DrafterGirl
05-30-2005, 03:14 PM
*sorry everyone!!! I've done it..... sorry

Wanda Eversberg
06-14-2005, 04:02 PM
The saddest thing for me is to see a couple of people who profess to be Christians and have Bible quotes in thier signatures using the WTF smiley. I may slip up and come out with a few standards like "Damn" or "Hell", but never the "F" word, and not 3 or 4 times in a row. You really have to get me pretty riled up to use Damn or hell. I really think the aforementioned smiley is in rather bad taste, to be perfectly honest here.

Heather
06-14-2005, 04:17 PM
There is a reminder about language posted:

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14111

If you come across a post that is littered with the f-word, please PM a mod with your concern or use the report a post feature (the red triangle) to notify of the repeated use of the f-word in a post and we'll address it.

Thanks!
Tina

YES. The only place the "F word" is *allowed* is in WOYM and Moms' - *because* it's 18+.

th72
06-14-2005, 04:24 PM
YES. The only place the "F word" is *allowed* is in WOYM and Moms' - *because* it's 18+.

that's why I'm not a member of the WOYM. swearing bugs me. so I just don't go to those forums. *shrugs with a smile* and if I come across it, ah, well, hopefully it is only one word and not a flood, especially of the....well, ya know, THAT one. :lol

Heather
06-14-2005, 04:34 PM
that's why I'm not a member of the WOYM. swearing bugs me. so I just don't go to those forums. *shrugs with a smile* and if I come across it, ah, well, hopefully it is only one word and not a flood, especially of the....well, ya know, THAT one. :lol

If you EVER see THAT word, or a string of other offensive words, outside those two forums, PLEASE let me know so I can PM the swear-er and let them know they need to stop.

lilfillie
06-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Ooh, I love the little WTF smiley! His face looks just like it says! And I normally curse like a trucker, and he gives me a way to do it nicely! Personally I have never noticed the F word in a post on here. If I can refrain, then I'm sure others can too! (my now-retired boss always called me his little trucker!)
Brenda S

EverlastingAcres
06-18-2005, 08:41 AM
yes i also talk like a trucker, was raised by my dad whos a factory worker :D But i dont swear on here as I know others find it offensive, and everyone here is so nice :grouphug that i dont want ot offend anyone heeh, but outside of the blab..well...that's another story..hahah my bf just shakes his head.

bluepony78
06-24-2005, 03:31 AM
The saddest thing for me is to see a couple of people who profess to be Christians and have Bible quotes in thier signatures using the WTF smiley. I may slip up and come out with a few standards like "Damn" or "Hell", but never the "F" word, and not 3 or 4 times in a row. .

I agree.
I can't get into the WIOYM yet, haven't put in my Blab time yet:sad, but as a whole, I do agree with what you said. I find that sad and disturbing at the same time. I see it at truck stops all the time.:zow

Jessie

Hippo
06-24-2005, 04:16 AM
The saddest thing for me is to see a couple of people who profess to be Christians and have Bible quotes in thier signatures using the WTF smiley. I may slip up and come out with a few standards like "Damn" or "Hell", but never the "F" word, and not 3 or 4 times in a row. You really have to get me pretty riled up to use Damn or hell. I really think the aforementioned smiley is in rather bad taste, to be perfectly honest here.

Not that I don't agree, but why is this worse for christians? It's not like it's blasphemy (in fact the "blasphemous" swears are the mild ones nobody takes exception to, like the ones you admit to using).
Which of course raises the question why "the f-word" is bad at all... I mean, it's not really a bad thing is it?

*closes can of worms, goes away whistling nonchalantly*

Kristi Hale
06-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Most of my huge extended family consists of Irish Catholics who drop F-bombs like there's no tomorrow.

OTOH, one of our vendors at work is Baptist, I think, and you could probably chop him to bits without getting him to cuss.

Guess it all depends on what kind of Christian.

lilfillie
06-24-2005, 07:33 PM
OTOH, one of our vendors at work is Baptist, I think, and you could probably chop him to bits without getting him to cuss.[/QUOTE]

Makes me think of ol' Ned Flanders! "Darn-diddly-arn!" :haha

Brenda S

Kristi Hale
06-25-2005, 02:10 PM
That's exactly what he's like!

Le_Mule_Chic
06-27-2005, 08:51 PM
The thing that gets me is you have to think about what you type- its not like speaking in which the colorful word just flies out.
I just use asterisks if I can't find a better word. Good ole asterisks.

Wanda Eversberg
06-30-2005, 01:56 PM
Not that I don't agree, but why is this worse for christians? It's not like it's blasphemy (in fact the "blasphemous" swears are the mild ones nobody takes exception to, like the ones you admit to using).
Which of course raises the question why "the f-word" is bad at all... I mean, it's not really a bad thing is it?

*closes can of worms, goes away whistling nonchalantly*

A Christian is supposed to set a good example for everyone they come into contact with. I'm not perfect mind you, and I have my moments like everyone else, but I belive that the "F" word since it refers to a certain biological function that is supposed to be between a man and his wife, should not be used as that function is supposed to be sacred. That word is bad for anyone not just Christians, and I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that. How are the other words so much worse and "Blasphemous"? If am wrong I'd like to know it.

Hippo
07-01-2005, 02:35 AM
How are the other words so much worse and "Blasphemous"? If am wrong I'd like to know it.

PLEASE NOTE:
This post is only intended as general etymological information about swearing, not as a reaction to, or criticism of, other blabbers' opinions.

Traditionally, swears were grouped into 3 categories: The sexual, the scatological, and the sacrilegous.

In strongly religious communities throughout history, words were considered extremely potent (think of the old taboo regarding speaking god's name in vain), and any reference to hell or the devil was seen as extremely dangerous. People believed talking about these powers could actually make them appear. Same for god, talking about him meant you were transgressing the line between divine and human, in effect taking privileges you weren't entitled to, and this led to a staggering amount of euphemisms, both for good and evil. Eventually this belief subsided, and "omg" etc became a part of everyone's vocabulary. In english, "go to hell" is pretty much the only religion-themed swearword left, but in the scandinavian languages (and others for all I know) these "diabolical" swears are pretty common, and although few know the reason, they're still considered rude.

Now for the sexually-themed swears. As you say, fornication (primarily in the extramarital sense) has been considered a sin throughout judeochristian history. However, unlike other sins (stealing, killing, disrespecting your parents etc) it is also a lot of fun. As such, it was and is still done regularly. And talked about. Most of the words describing copulation were originally euphemisms used so people could talk about sex without the pious catching on.
The fact that the f-word has "slipped" to the point where it's used in completely unsexual circumstances may indicate a gradual shifting - in 100 years it may be used exclusively as a swearword, with no connection to intercourse. Or it may become a catch-all term, used both as a general swear, as a sexual term and for any number of other things. With the narrowing of our vocabulary, especially in the case of "bad words", this is a pretty likely development. As such, it's likely to become diluted over time - it's already gone from completely taboo and unprintable to being an accepted (allbeit exceptionable) element in everyday speech and media. In a few years, chances are it'll lose its edge completely.

As for the scatological swears, they're really the best founded of them all, dealing with stuff that disgusts the vast majority of us. However, they're more juvenile than the others, which may explain why people prefer the other categories.

Well, that's today's lecture. Sorry it's so long, I tend to go on and on and on... especially when I write about subjects that interest me.

Le_Mule_Chic
07-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Either way.... we wouldn't want some kid to step away from the computer and say "BLEEP" and then say she saw it on Blab........ perish the thought....
Some words are offensive to others, but I think people do need to keep in mind that there are a LOT of younger readers of this forum...

Wanda Eversberg
07-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Exactly...and my daughter is one of them.

pipermaru
07-11-2005, 08:29 PM
PLEASE NOTE:
This post is only intended as general etymological information about swearing, not as a reaction to, or criticism of, other blabbers' opinions.

Traditionally, swears were grouped into 3 categories: The sexual, the scatological, and the sacrilegous.

In strongly religious communities throughout history, words were considered extremely potent (think of the old taboo regarding speaking god's name in vain), and any reference to hell or the devil was seen as extremely dangerous. People believed talking about these powers could actually make them appear. Same for god, talking about him meant you were transgressing the line between divine and human, in effect taking privileges you weren't entitled to, and this led to a staggering amount of euphemisms, both for good and evil. Eventually this belief subsided, and "omg" etc became a part of everyone's vocabulary. In english, "go to hell" is pretty much the only religion-themed swearword left, but in the scandinavian languages (and others for all I know) these "diabolical" swears are pretty common, and although few know the reason, they're still considered rude.

Now for the sexually-themed swears. As you say, fornication (primarily in the extramarital sense) has been considered a sin throughout judeochristian history. However, unlike other sins (stealing, killing, disrespecting your parents etc) it is also a lot of fun. As such, it was and is still done regularly. And talked about. Most of the words describing copulation were originally euphemisms used so people could talk about sex without the pious catching on.
The fact that the f-word has "slipped" to the point where it's used in completely unsexual circumstances may indicate a gradual shifting - in 100 years it may be used exclusively as a swearword, with no connection to intercourse. Or it may become a catch-all term, used both as a general swear, as a sexual term and for any number of other things. With the narrowing of our vocabulary, especially in the case of "bad words", this is a pretty likely development. As such, it's likely to become diluted over time - it's already gone from completely taboo and unprintable to being an accepted (allbeit exceptionable) element in everyday speech and media. In a few years, chances are it'll lose its edge completely.

As for the scatological swears, they're really the best founded of them all, dealing with stuff that disgusts the vast majority of us. However, they're more juvenile than the others, which may explain why people prefer the other categories.

Well, that's today's lecture. Sorry it's so long, I tend to go on and on and on... especially when I write about subjects that interest me.

Great post! Thanks for sharing. I love it when intelligent people make history interesting. :)

Abbeyinc
07-14-2005, 12:17 AM
I have learned that the shock value of a swear word can change based on how often a person uses it. I rarely swear, just never got into the habit, but when I do people really notice. Example: I thought a car was about to back into us and said s##t. My husband, who uses the word regularly, was shocked to say the least. If he ever heard me use the f word he would probably drop dead in his tracks. :zow It has gotten to the point where I dont swear because I get embarrassed by the reactions of friends and family, kind of a self fulfilling habit... :embarras:

samantha k.
07-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Eventually this belief subsided, and "omg" etc became a part of everyone's vocabulary.Not everyone's. I certaintly don't believe in the TABOO of it being DANGEROUS to speak God's name in vain- but I don't say it. Simply out of respect and obedience.

As for the "wtf" smiley. Yes I use it, but it's not me physically saying it, or even thinking it- so I see nothing wrong. Maybe my thoughts toward it aren't as they should be. But maybe that's just personal oppinion and not right vs. wrong?? Personally I don't feel God is disappointed in me placing a little emoticon displaying a "HUH!?" emotion in my posts.

But that's personal opinion, and I respect the opinion of people who feel that it's innapropriate. I know your intentions are good.

EverlastingAcres
07-14-2005, 12:17 PM
I have learned that the shock value of a swear word can change based on how often a person uses it. I rarely swear, just never got into the habit, but when I do people really notice. Example: I thought a car was about to back into us and said s##t. My husband, who uses the word regularly, was shocked to say the least. If he ever heard me use the f word he would probably drop dead in his tracks. :zow It has gotten to the point where I dont swear because I get embarrassed by the reactions of friends and family, kind of a self fulfilling habit... :embarras:

i get the opposite effect. I swear so often no one takes any notice no matter how vulgar the word that comes out of mymouth is, and I generally dont even think about it until i happen to say something in front of someone who doesn't know me so well and get that :zow look haha. but my best friend came out with the f word the other day and my jaw dropped hahah she never swears so it sounds so odd hearing it come outta her mouth.