PDA

View Full Version : Regional Championship shows

squick912
05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
I am looking for some information on how other regions run/hold their championship shows. I would love to get one going in Region 1 & am wondering how it is done in other parts of the model horse world. I have many questions so if you have been to one or have been part of putting one together, please help me out. Any & all input would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You!!

Erin
05-20-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm glad you're taking this on! I had high hopes of getting it off the ground for 2013-2014, but never managed to take it anywhere once the venue I had changed hands. I'd be happy to help you though - you know how to reach me! :toothy

Go Region 1!

Intothesunstudio
05-20-2013, 07:16 PM
In Region 10 we have shows all through the year where you earn cards for first and second place models just like NAN Cards. At our Championship show we have an open show where you can earn both NAN cards and Region 10 cards. You can earn these special cards a on NAN qualifying shows as well. ie. A fun show for just sport horses etc.

The champ show has both open and stakes classes. The stakes (championship) classes run after the open classes at our Championship show. So say for open classes we have Appaloosa, QH, Mustang, Paint, other stock and then Patterned Stakes and then Solid Stakes. The stakes classes are not nan qualifying and are only for models with Region 10 cards that they earned that year or the last few years. There is a champion, reserve and top 5 chosen.

The show is two days, usually in a central or as close to central area for the region so we can get as many showers as possible. Day 1 is performance and china. Day 2 is AR, CM and OF halter.

MountainHomeModels
05-21-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm in Region 1 and would also be happy to help! I know of many venues that are very reasonably priced in the Portland Metro area. The Memorial Coliseum in downtown Portland, and the Washington County Fairgrounds, ae both pretty reasonably priced, include tables/chairs, complete set-up and breakdown. The MC is less expensive than the Fairgrounds, however no food or drinks can be brought in. But if you spend over a certain mount with their catering service, they waive the facility rental fee. The Fairground facility had a kitchen that is included with rental and you can bring in outside food and drinks.

I think earning "Regional" cards at shows and running it like a mini-NAN would be a great idea. But maybe make Regional cards to 3rd place instead of just 1st and 2nd?

Perhaps Regional Champions and Reserves could earn cash or other prizes?

I'd love to see jackpot classes that are open to all, regardless of whether or not the horse qualified for regionals, where a small fee ($1? $2?) to enter the class is put into a pot and the first and second place winners split the pot.

wyld-spirit
05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
I'd love to see some more regional championship shows! I'm not in Region 1 [I'm in Region 3, which, as far as I know, also doesn't have a regional championship show], but I definitely think it'd be a great idea for all you that show in Region 1!

As far as prizes go, it'd be fun to have something like a "Mini NAN" where there are Top 10's, and Regional Champs and Reserves. Perhaps Flat Ribbons for the Top 10's, and Rosettes for Champs and Reserves?

Also, like Caryn suggested, I think it'd be a great idea to have the cards go to 3rd place, rather than just 1st and 2nd. That way, it'll be a little easier to get more people to the show :) I also love the "Jackpot Class" idea!

It'll be great to see if you can get this idea rolling in Region 1! :D [And would anyone be interested in taking on Region 3? :lol ]

ghosthorse0
05-22-2013, 04:40 PM
I think that more regional championship shows sounds like a great idea! I would love for one to start in Region 6, though I do not have the ability to do so myself.