PDA

View Full Version : Equine Reference Photos For Painters, Sculptors, Tack Artists, and Other Equine Art

ksmith5151
09-29-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't see the older post so I'll start a new thread for update notices. 250 new photos are now being posted. About 1/2 is uploaded and the rest should be viewable in an hour or so. I've been sick for a week now so I'm a little behind with the photos. This new set of photos has a lot of good horse color photos, including some Appaloosa color, and there are also some nice references for sculptors too. This set of photos will remain on my website for two weeks then I'll be posting lots of Paint Horse reference photos. Enjoy!

http://www.ksmithequinecreations.com/referencephotos.htm

----- Kimberley Smith

ksmith5151
10-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Lots of Paint Horse photos are being uploaded. They should all be viewable in an hour or so. Enjoy!

ksmith5151
10-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Would anyone be interested in Paso Fino photos? Next week I'm going to a big 4 day long Paso Fino show in Miami to get some good reference photos. (Hoping the weather will be good.) I can hardly wait because the Paso Fino is one of my favorite breeds of horses. I'll be able to photograph the different speeds of the Paso Gait including the fast stepping classic fino and I'll also be able to photograph a different type of Paso Fino that's called Trocha Y Galope. They do a 4 beat rhythmic gait also but the hooves fall diagonal like a trot and they do a really pretty collected canter. If you would like to read more about them here is a good website > http://www.usatta.org/breedinfo.html I actually learned a bit more reading that and will be carefully watching out for those type of gaits.

So if anyone is interested in me sharing the Paso Fino photos on my website, I'll be happy to. I can share a group of the photos the next update and rotate more Paso photos between other events as weeks go by.

----- Kimberley

shadow's storm
10-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Yes please :)

Ghost_Wolf_Ranch
10-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Yes, please! :cheer And thank you for sharing your lovely photos, they are terrific references. :thumbsup

ETA- and thanks for that link, I've never heard of these horses before.

ksmith5151
11-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I've been keeping pretty busy the past month so I'm a bit behind on my photo web page. I'm uploading a new group of photos today. I still have lots to get done this month so I'm setting the next photo update for December 1st.

As for the Paso Fino photos, I went one day to the Paso Fino show and was a bit disappointed. The Tropical Park Equestrian area built indoor areas over every ring so I didn't get any outdoor photos opportunities. One of the rings used to be open. The last time I was there was a year or so ago. I took a bunch of photos in one of the practice/warm-up arenas but all the photos are a bit fuzzy. My camera doesn't do well in dim lighting no matter how I set the manual settings.

Next month I'm going to be posting lots and lots of rodeo event photos. Lots of action! And now that I finally figured out that I have a different program to resize a large group of photos at one time, I think I'll try to share more photos next month. If I can get my commissions caught up this month, I'm thinking I might upload 250 new photos every week for the month of December.

I hope you enjoy this week's photos. :toothy

----- Kimberley

ksmith5151
11-21-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm working on planning and sorting photos to post for the month of December on my website. I'm going through my Rodeo photos. I love the action of the horses but is anyone interested in steers and calves? Photos like these... (below)? I can mix them in with the horse photos if they can be found useful.

HorseRN
11-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Yes! I would be! Thanks Kimberley!
Jen

RobinHoodFan
11-21-2013, 01:12 PM
:popcorn

ksmith5151
12-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Lots of new photos have been posted to my website and lots more photos will be posted tomorrow. For December and January I will be uploading 500 new photos every two weeks. Happy Holidays!

Lots of Action and Horse Color this month, and definitely check out the wild colored sabino photos tomorrow night. I'll be uploading more photos when I get back home tomorrow.

------ Kimberley

ksmith5151
12-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Website Update: For my reference photos, I have changed the HTML so that each picture is opened directly instead of linked to another web page. To get back to the web page with the thumbnail photos, click the back button on your browser or mouse. Both Explorer and Foxfire resizes the photo to fit the screen, but it is still the full size photo when you save the photo or click to enlarge it on the computer screen. I hope many of you like the change and that it works okay on your computer.

250 more photos are being uploaded now. They should be viewable by this evening.

----- Kimberley

ksmith5151
12-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Because I my in-laws are arriving Christmas Eve, I'm going to wait to post new photos until this coming Friday. I have so much to get done before they arrive. Be sure to save any of the photos that you like that are on my website now. They will be deleted Friday so new photos can be posted. I will be posting photos that I took at the Kentucky Horse Park. One of the horses is a gorgeous Appaloosa. There will be other breeds too. Happy Holidays!

--- Kimberley

ksmith5151
01-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Happy New Year! The rest of the new photos are uploading. Enjoy!

--- Kimberley

DestrierModels
01-02-2014, 05:29 AM
Oh poop! Missed the previous ones again :sad

But thanks for the new set of eye-candy, Kimberley! :)

ksmith5151
01-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Oh poop! Missed the previous ones again :sad

But thanks for the new set of eye-candy, Kimberley! :)

You're very welcome! Happy to hear the photos are being enjoyed. :toothy

If the weather is nice next week, I'm planning on going to a big QH show a few times. There are some photos I need to help progress my sculpting and I'm sure the photos will be helpful to others too. My goals are, more close-ups of eyes, mouth, nostrils, ears, hooves and other, side profiles of the body to compare conformation, side profiles of the head and photos of different events. Hopefully photos lots of unsaddled horses especially. If anyone has any other ideas/photo needs I can possibly get at the horse show, PM me and I'll add it to my list. The events I'll be seeing is halter/showmanship, trail, reining, Pleasure Driving, and Western Pleasure. If all goes well, I'll be posting photos from that show next.

RobinHoodFan
01-03-2014, 05:28 PM
That appy is awesome!! :adore

ksmith5151
01-10-2014, 02:49 PM
If you love dapples greys, you might want to visit my reference photo web page next weekend. This is just an early notice/sneak peek because I photographed a very unique dapple grey horse today and I wanted to share a peek. I'll make sure I post the pictures I took of her with the next photo update. She is the first dapple grey horse I've seen in person with birdcatcher spots! The white spots are small on both sides of her, and on one side of her belly, there are many white spots clustered together. She's a very pretty dapple grey. Here's a sneak peek close up of her. I took photos of both sides of her and close-up photos.

I also took some good close-up photos of eyes, ears, other close-ups of other horses, and lots more useful photos for sculptors/customizers.

----- Kimberley

texxdog
01-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Sigh. I will be looking for sure.

RobinHoodFan
01-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Oh sweet! I have a horse I need to do in a dark dapple grey so I NEEEDD good refs! Cant wait to check em out! :popcorn

ksmith5151
01-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Oh sweet! I have a horse I need to do in a dark dapple grey so I NEEEDD good refs! Cant wait to check em out! :popcorn

There were a few other dapples greys that I took photos of at the show today and they are all fairly different... and very pretty. I'll gather them up in a group for the next update. ;D

RobinHoodFan
01-10-2014, 11:53 PM
:woot

ksmith5151
01-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Photos of these 3 horses are going to shared next weekend too! :3drool

--- Kimberley

HorseRN
01-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Photos of these 3 horses are going to shared next weekend too! :3drool

--- Kimberley

can't wait!!!! These will b awesome!! My external hd is almost full!
thanks Kimberley,
jen

JulieB
01-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Ooo...bay roan...:adore

RobinHoodFan
01-13-2014, 03:32 PM
DA-ROOL! :drool

ksmith5151
01-17-2014, 02:45 PM
:toothy The new reference photos are starting to upload. They should all be there by tomorrow morning. Enjoy!

----- Kimberley

RobinHoodFan
01-17-2014, 03:37 PM
:woohoo

solticeart
01-17-2014, 10:19 PM
oh good! see I forget about theses and havent coped them for months! one time I went on adn the photos didnt load at all though so I forgot nad havent cked back sone then. darn it I wonder what I missed out on.. grump… I just wish they didnt take me so darn long to open each one and copy them. There has ot be a better way. too bad they don't copy full size by grabbing the thumbnail darn it. will have to do it in between working on stuff. And thank you Kim! I love you do this! big hug to you! ((())))

ksmith5151
01-18-2014, 12:10 AM
Awww, thanks Rebecca. I'm always happy to help other artists.

My FTP program still has a few hundred large photos to upload then it will upload the thumbnail photos. I'll be leaving my computer on tonight so all the photos will be there in a few hours. In two weeks I'll add more photos from the same Quarter Horse show and I'll start posting photos of a pretty 11 month old sabino filly.

--- Kimberley

ksmith5151
02-10-2014, 01:37 PM
The rest of the new photos are being uploaded. I will be leaving these photos on my website until Feb 28th. Enjoy!

solticeart
02-10-2014, 02:03 PM
gaaaa I never got to copy the last batch! I wish the small icons would copy large..lol it take forever to open each one.

solticeart
02-10-2014, 02:57 PM
no pics after number 250 ( chestnut qh coming at an angle twoards the camera from right before the knees up) are showin up? is that becuse they aren't uploaded yet or ? I got the ones I can use before those though. Wish I'd gotten the last ones though darn it.

RobinHoodFan
02-10-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that's because they're not done uploading yet ;)

solticeart
02-10-2014, 03:15 PM
thats what I wondered. I'll wait till later then.