PDA

View Full Version : Broken and bored

Jennifer
10-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Last Saturday, my horse and I took a tumble while jumping. I broke my collarbone upon landing, and then Rev rolled over my leg giving me a fairly serious crush injury. I had surgery to fix the clavicle on Monday, and am just beginning to feel some what human again. However, it looks like this will be a fairly long recovery with no driving, no riding, and no tack making in my immediate future.

Although typing one handed is fairly laborious, one of the few things I'm still able to do is blog. This is helping me stay sane and in touch with the world outside my living room. If anyone has ever had any interest in writing a guest blogger post, NOW IS THE TIME! My blog averages over 50,000 pageviews a month, so it's great FREE advertising. I am open to anything--artist profiles, tutorials, live show reports, real horse show pictures or information.... Whatever!

I do have a wide variety of photos, so if you've got an idea but not way to illustrate it, I maybe able to help with that. If you're interested at all, please contact me here or at braymere@comcast.net. Thanks in advance!

annimac
10-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Oh, no! I hope you mend quick!

micamoney
10-24-2013, 11:13 PM
I can't help ya out on the blogging, but I can wish you many well wishes and good thoughts for a speedy and smooth recovery! :hugg

RivnRo
10-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Can I just produce a massive poof of glitter?

texxdog
10-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Yikes! I hope you heal very quickly.

T-Whinny Gal
10-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Oh my! Prayers go up for your speedy and painfree recovery. Hope your horsie is ok, too :)

HorseRN
10-25-2013, 12:20 AM
That sounds like a whole lot of No Fun! I hope you mend quickly! If you haven't seen it there is a fantastic tutorial in the Classroom section that Emilia Kurila did on how she sculpts the head. That might be something you are interested in posting!
Jen

Lemmons SS
10-25-2013, 04:05 AM
:hugg Hope you have a speedy recovery.

BluebirdStudio
10-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Thinking of you Jennifer :( hope it mends really fast!

Shelf Elf
10-25-2013, 08:06 AM
I am thinking of you as you mend. I just went a period of injury and recovery too. It is the pits. Hang in there. Blab helped me to stay sane during that time of inactivity. :)

horsefreak
10-25-2013, 08:33 AM
:hugg Hope you have a speedy recovery.

:yeahthat I'm in the same boat, I'm recovering from surgery and I'll be out of commission for at least another month.

JulieB
10-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Oh gosh, wishing you a speedy recovery! :hugg

Erin
10-25-2013, 10:25 AM
I can come up with another one I'm sure! Maybe I'll call it "fudging it" and highlight some of the weird things Tracy and I have done over the years in performance, when we didn't have the right props or tack or any money to speak of. (We made "carrot" shavings by crushing up cheez-its and mixing them with sticky wax once). Would anybody be interested in reading about that?

RivnRo
10-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes!!

Jennifer
10-25-2013, 10:44 AM
I can come up with another one I'm sure! Maybe I'll call it "fudging it" and highlight some of the weird things Tracy and I have done over the years in performance, when we didn't have the right props or tack or any money to speak of. (We made "carrot" shavings by crushing up cheez-its and mixing them with sticky wax once). Would anybody be interested in reading about that?

Yes! I need all the humor I can get right now!

Erin
10-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes! I need all the humor I can get right now!

Even if it includes the photo of the egg and spoon spoon sticky waxed to my saddle horn? :lol

RobinHoodFan
10-25-2013, 11:07 AM
:hugg Hope you feel better soon! Would be happy to help with the blogging. Just holler if you have something you'd like me to write about. :)

Jennifer
10-25-2013, 11:41 AM
As if things needed to get worse, the clean water pipe to our house burst last night. My front yard is completely flooded. Seth has been coping as best as he can, and the plumber will be here eventually, but I am feeling really overwhelmed. Got through all the medical stuff without tears, but this morning I can't seem to stop crying.

BTW--here's my collarbone. Surgeon says 4 screws is normal but mine was so bad it required 8:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/braymere/photo10-Copy_zps9ec0e280.jpg

The crush injury on my left leg is no great shakes either:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/braymere/broken_leg_zpsf0fde3f7.jpg

Erin
10-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Well...... at least you're not bored anymore? Ha ha....ha?

:hugg :hugg :hugg :hugg

RobinHoodFan
10-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Ouch!!

ALemon
10-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Sometimes a good cry helps! Get it all out.
Wishing you a speedy recovery

BluebirdStudio
10-25-2013, 02:41 PM
:hugg

SeaWatch
10-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Oh my goodness, Jennifer... What a horrible accident for you. I do hope that you will recover quickly, and that your collarbone will heal properly. I cannot imagine just how painful that must have been for you...and likely still is.

Wishing you well, and hope you feel better soon. :hugg I also hope that you will be able to ride again.

Beethovens7th
10-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Oh my! Prayers go up for your speedy and painfree recovery. Hope your horsie is ok, too :)

:yeahthat For sures!

Jennifer
10-25-2013, 04:13 PM
I haven't been able to visit Rev since the accident, but my barn friends have been really goo about texting photos of him to me. No one has ridden him, but at the very least, he appears to be sound. His appetite is good and he's begging for attention.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/braymere/rev_pretty_zps232704a3.jpg
I miss him tremendously and will be really happy when I can handle the car ride out to see him.

I am also vaguely worried about my saddle since he was upside down on it (and me) at one point. It's an old saddle and not worth a lot of money, but I'd hate to have to replace it...

T-Whinny Gal
10-25-2013, 04:48 PM
The crush injury on my left leg is no great shakes either:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/braymere/broken_leg_zpsf0fde3f7.jpg

But Ize makes it all better, mama!

VAFLindsay
10-25-2013, 05:39 PM

Or the last minute purchase of Padre and the success of showing a "non-normal" performance horse!!!

Shaheen
10-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Oh jeez, so sorry to hear about your accident. I haven't had any internet service for a few days and just now saw this. I hope you feel better soon and heal quickly, and I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse. I broke my collarbone once, but I was lucky and didn't need surgery as it was just chipped. It was painful though for the first few days, so I can imagine how you've been feeling. :( :hugg

T-Whinny Gal
10-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Just a little "get well" post for you this morning :)

"For I will restore health to you and I will heal your wounds, says the Lord..." Jer. 30:17

"O Lord, you preserve man and beast." Prov. 36:6

Hope you have a good day today and get to see Rev soon, too.

solticeart
10-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Oh Jen ouch! I saw on another post somewhere you had an accident with your horse but just now found the original post. I'm so glad your not hurt any worse though and your horse is ok too. When you feel better I'd like to hear how this happend. He sure is a pretty boy! Take care and try not to go too crazy while your down. Very gentle hugs to you! And I see you have someone to take good care of you though, lol one of my dogs loves to lick my feet and legs or any oweys I get too.

Jennifer
10-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Here's the whole story of how it happened: http://braymere.blogspot.com/2013/10/heres-what-happened.html

The pix were taken a week before, but they're a pretty accurate portrayal of what we were doing and how he was going. It really wasn't a scary accident at all. He was behaving fine, I was riding well, and we just happened to trip over a freaking trot fence. Tiffany keeps telling me I need to come up with a better story... like one involving mountain lions!

After the initial post surgical pain which was just awful, I am feeling much better. My collarbone was snapped completely in half with multiple bone chips. Until it was stabilized with the metal plate, every single breath I took caused the bones to rub together. It was damn near unbearable. Now It's mostly just sore and inconvenient. My leg is still painful, too. Feels like a bad sprain. I can walk around but not much.

So right now my life seems very small, very boring and fairly uncomfortable. I am trying to stay as busy as I can, mostly posting on line and facebook. That helps, but I will be really lgad when I'm a bit more mobile.

horsefreak
10-26-2013, 03:13 PM
:hugg

solticeart
10-26-2013, 05:42 PM
awwe hugs from me too, and thanks I'll go read that. I'm way behind on any blog reading but yours is one I read when I do read them.

Morganlover53
10-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you heal quickly!

Chris Flint
11-14-2013, 05:57 PM
So sorry to hear about your accident. GET WELL SOON Jennifer!!! :)

Jennifer
11-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Update: The surgery went well and I am a lot better. Unfortunately, healing bones isn't a fast proposition. I still can't drive or ride or pick up anything that weighs more than five pounds. It's been a long month.

Nichelle
11-14-2013, 06:52 PM
:hugg :hugg

RobinHoodFan
11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
:yeahthat

texxdog
11-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Many :huggs and wishes for speedy healing.

Jennifer
11-14-2013, 08:53 PM
I won't lie. I did sneak in a three minute pony ride on a friend's "husband horse."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/braymere/9_zpsff1208fc.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/braymere/media/9_zpsff1208fc.jpg.html)

It didn't hurt at all, and I was hoping I'd be riding full time in December. Unfortunately, it now seems that was overly optimistic. I'm aiming for January 1. We'll
see!

NatalieK
11-15-2013, 03:58 AM
Here's a tutorial on leafing I wrote.

http://keilatan.blogspot.com/2012/07/tutorial-silver-and-gold-leafing.html

solticeart
11-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Here's a tutorial on leafing I wrote.

http://keilatan.blogspot.com/2012/07/tutorial-silver-and-gold-leafing.html

um did you post this in the wrong place or am I missing something? and man I have some 24 karat gold leaf that I now have to go sculpt something so I can use it!

Jennifer
11-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I was wondering the same thing, but hey! I'm just happy every time someone posts on my thread!

NatalieK
11-15-2013, 05:38 PM
If anyone has ever had any interest in writing a guest blogger post, NOW IS THE TIME! My blog averages over 50,000 pageviews a month, so it's great FREE advertising. I am open to anything--artist profiles, tutorials, live show reports, real horse show pictures or information.... Whatever!

I just thought I could be a guest blogger. :( *sniff*

Jennifer
11-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Oh, I get it now! Cool! That can totally be arranged.... but, that would be a really good December post since it's kind of Christmas-y. Mind if I sit on it for a couple weeks?

NatalieK
11-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Yep. No problem.

solticeart
11-15-2013, 07:59 PM
ohhh ok now I get it.. lol man thses drugs really really slowed me down and Im still drowsey from them whatever they were they were pretty dam powerful to knowck me out nad make me forget almost 12 full hours or more.. I wonder if I poseted yesterday at all? If I did I sure dont remember doing it.

Jennifer
11-15-2013, 08:17 PM
ohhh ok now I get it.. lol man thses drugs really really slowed me down and Im still drowsey from them whatever they were they were pretty dam powerful to knowck me out nad make me forget almost 12 full hours or more.. I wonder if I poseted yesterday at all? If I did I sure dont remember doing it.

Ha! I also blame the drugs! ;)

solticeart
11-15-2013, 09:57 PM
lol ahh by looking at that post I was still a bit high or something , haha

Nanaki
11-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Hey! Just wanted to pop in here and hope the healing is still going well. I actually just had surgery a month ago, so I understand the recovery period! However, mine wasn't nearly as intense, so I'm already able to do most things, just no arms above my head, and no lifting anything "heavy" (which apparently means "you can pick up your 6 pound cat, but not the 14 pound cat! Don't you dare help with bringing the grocceries in! If I catch you helping move costume racks, you're dead!" I love my mom :p).

But yes, here's hoping you get better as soon as you can. Maybe I'll whip up some sort of blog post about being someone who is just starting to make tack? Anything to make your life easier and to cut down on typing! :)

Jennifer
11-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Hey! Just wanted to pop in here and hope the healing is still going well. I actually just had surgery a month ago, so I understand the recovery period! However, mine wasn't nearly as intense, so I'm already able to do most things, just no arms above my head, and no lifting anything "heavy" (which apparently means "you can pick up your 6 pound cat, but not the 14 pound cat! Don't you dare help with bringing the grocceries in! If I catch you helping move costume racks, you're dead!" I love my mom :p).

But yes, here's hoping you get better as soon as you can. Maybe I'll whip up some sort of blog post about being someone who is just starting to make tack? Anything to make your life easier and to cut down on typing! :)

I am completely out of the sling now so that's progress. The doctor gave me a five pound lifting limit and no motion restrictions. Unfortunately, my body seems to have lot of motion restrictions of its own! I start PT this week and am both dreading and looking forward to it. I want to be better, but I've heard some horror stories in regards to post PT pain... :/

In regards to my blog--I have had a bunch of really awesome guest blogger submissions (there's another one due to post today). It's been so fun for me getting to read someone else's words instead of all my own blah blah blah! Please, if you have any inclination, tell us what it's like to be a beginning tackmaker. I would find that interesting and instructive. I've been doing this, on and off at least, for so long that I really don't know what it's like to start out in 2013. When I started, Rio Rondo didn't exist! Totally different world!

ksmith5151
11-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Hope you're feeling much better soon.