PDA

View Full Version : Not show, but Judging Clinic - early notice! :)

Morgen
01-15-2014, 04:12 PM
So hey gang! It's a far cry from the single-wide we've spent the last 3 years living in since we moved down here and we'd like some company now that we can fit more than 3 people in a room! :D Soooooooo I've decided to host a judging clinic. We've got a mostly empty house here & thus an ideal spot to hold it. Land space (we won't be getting animals for a bit either, roof fixing etc comes first) to park in... have a horse over to study! Oh, not to mention a great judge and highly knowledgeable artist, competitor and previous judging clinic teacher willing to come in & be our guest speaker; Ann Harris. Sooo why not make it an all out day of fun?! :)

I'm in the process of trying to get a local horse to come over for a few hours too.

The basics. Date: April 6th,
Time will be from 10am until 4-5pm or thereabouts, it will be a relaxed atmosphere but we want to hold mock classes as well as video, skeletal/bone study, live horse and other sorts of tutorials..Be prepared for some serious info imparting! :D & Beth Patterson is letting us use her showstring and also we'll have some "never made it out of the studio" sculptures to critique! (no one's feeling get hurt this way).

Cost is going to be very nominal as it's not a show.. I as thinking $10... however this means I could use some help in other ways to help me defray costs!! Potluck would be awesome but some folks might have to travel & I KNOW how that goes & wouldn't want to make it an obligation. Still, dishes/bags of snacks would probably be welcome. I was going to do a coldcut lunch set up & chips. There is NOTHING for about 20min around here in the way of fast food... Chairs even though are something I wondered about. Are people amenable to bringing their own chairs?

Location is ~25min south of Asheboro, right off of 220/future73/74 -- forget the zip it won't put you in the right place in most maps (contact me & I'll give you the very simple directions). It's ~10min north of Biscoe. Both have ok hotels & fast food. Asheboro is definitely the nearest "big city" with most types of stores.

The date is set due to the day before being the most fun "Stoneybrook Steeplechase" about an hour away at the Carolina Horse Park. Southern Pines also has some affordable hotels to spend the night at afterwards & is just under an hour away from me, possibly being the best place to make a fun weekend of it!

As I work out the details here I'm thinking aloud but I feel like I should put together a quickie attendee question thing to make sure we do have enough chairs & food. Can anyone make suggestions on points I've missed?

Morgen
01-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I should hype up Ann a bit more here than I have. She's a phenomenal painter and sculptor (I really really want one of her paint jobs!) http://www.annsmodels.com/ She used to hold a very successful (and well run) show NESE for many many years (maybe a decade?). She's also a really class act professional and will definitely give great explanations for both new and other veteran judge's interest.

I'm not so great at the hype but well.. check out her stuff. Check out all of her wins & merit awards too on NAMSHA's pages. She's a great pro to learn from & I'm SO excited!!!

Morgen
01-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Ahhhh I forget it lists me as living in Finland. I edited the line out that said North Carolina for want of explaining (and not wanting people to think we're in the wrong part of the state which HAS happened with our zip for some reason). 25 min south of ASHEBORO, NORTH CAROLINA. SO sorry.

I am baffled but not in Finland. ;)

BreyerBuyer415
01-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a wonderful day to me! Wish we still lived in NC, because I'd be there in a heartbeat. It's just a few days before my birthday, too! :grin It'd be awesome to see you again!

RivnRo
01-15-2014, 05:41 PM
<~~ now accepting donations to party rock in NC

azeri
01-15-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm interested! I can't think of anything to add -- had a barn burner of a day at work -- other than I'd like to go!

Thanks for holding this. It sounds like it will be a blast, and Ann is indeed terrific.

Colleen

Morgen
01-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Emily I didn't realize you'd moved! Shauna, you are always welcome.. I know I know - ack eh? (The Steeplechase the day before btw IS interesting & worth doing once in your life at least. & I'm looking fwd to photographing it this year, I haven't tried to do a tent/sell pins & magnets there for years, but I find watching racing SO scary too..).

Colleen it would be so neat if you could come down, & totally agreed! :D

Morgen
01-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Should also also add that if anyone reasonably local knows of a good safe horse to recommend I can send along the word doc flyer I've put up at our post office/town crier board. :) I can only offer a small fee though for the few hours we'll use him. Horse must must be calm, stand as if for a farrier for some basic leg manuevering movements, tolerate (adore would be better!) touching (and me drawing on him with paint). Be sound & mellow enough to be away from other horses (we don't have any). Tolerate flash photography too since we do have a tiny barn we can use if it's raining. I've had a neighbor offer but I want to keep it a tad formal & have a person sign a model release for photos so I can use them in the future without worry.

BreyerBuyer415
01-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Emily I didn't realize you'd moved! Shauna, you are always welcome.. I know I know - ack eh? (The Steeplechase the day before btw IS interesting & worth doing once in your life at least. & I'm looking fwd to photographing it this year, I haven't tried to do a tent/sell pins & magnets there for years, but I find watching racing SO scary too..).

Colleen it would be so neat if you could come down, & totally agreed! :D

Yes, we sure did! When I saw you and Maggie at BreyerFest 2012, we had just moved to South Carolina. That was temporary, and now we're in Tallahassee, Florida. It's hard to keep up with us! :lol There's lots of horse related things here, which is awesome. In March is the Red Hills International Horse Trials, and it's fabulous. They are the most beautiful horses, and people like Phillip Dutton show every year. There's even a local hobbyist that sets up a booth that talks about what we do.

Back on topic-I look forward to hearing all about the fun things y'all do, and will let you know if by some miracle I can make it up there to join in on excitement and pony time! The gerbils would love to see you again, too. :D ;)

Sandy A.
01-15-2014, 08:11 PM
I am interested too..

VAFLindsay
01-15-2014, 08:30 PM
<~~ now accepting donations to party rock in NC

<~~ gets you buddy pass from Canada to fly down with me.

Hmm...wonder if I could swing this in with a work visit somehow......God, that would be awesome!!

Inrun
01-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Man if you could skype this i'd pay in!

Morgen
01-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Emily to be honest, being as south as we were (we did move an hour northward I guess), but South Carolina sort of seemed like "nearby" still. Tallahassee though, that is a haul! ;)

Ok, so I guess I should start to think of how to organize a tentative list. Sandy I'm noting this for now & will PM or otherwise contact you when I've got a wee formal form! & Lindsay, just :lol

VAFLindsay
01-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Hey, I gotta take advantage of work benefits when I can! How do you think I got to Baker's workshop and BreyerFest last year! I can fly from Milwaukee to Charlotte to Greensboro!

Morgen
01-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Charlotte is not so far away. You might do better to come up from there if it saves you money. Course the nicer hotels are towards Greensboro.. I cannot vouche for the one in Biscoe. There is a really interesting bed & breakfast too. I guess I should give interested parties the driving directions & let them decide.. hmmm...

Morgen
01-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Man if you could skype this i'd pay in!
Honestly I wonder if we could? I'm looking into DSL here (we aren't sure we have functional phone lines anymore & I may be locked into a year more with Hughesnet..). The daily/monthly bandwidth limit would put the kabosh on it, just like your cell phone limits... buuuuuuut if I had DSL it wouldn't matter. It might hiccup or have to be poor quality to stream. I don't know how that works. Is there somewhere to find out more about what you need? There are SO many times I've wanted to do this for various things! :)

Sandy A.
01-15-2014, 09:38 PM
I did a tentative driving directions on google maps just to get an idea of drive time.. I would probably just drive down in the morning and back afterwards.. it makes for a long day, but staying in a hotel means kenneling the dogs, which really adds $$$ to the weekend.. Since my son is working full time, shift work to include weekends, I can't count on him to dog-sit for me..

VAFLindsay
01-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Charlotte is not so far away. You might do better to come up from there if it saves you money. Course the nicer hotels are towards Greensboro.. I cannot vouche for the one in Biscoe. There is a really interesting bed & breakfast too. I guess I should give interested parties the driving directions & let them decide.. hmmm...

I fly for free, space available, so which airport isn't a big deal. Hardest part is getting from the airport to you/hotel. Though only doing one flight to and from Charlotte isn't a bad thought. How far are you from Charlotte?

SylvanTrails
01-15-2014, 09:58 PM
I bet Susan would love to come. So would I. :)

ETA: It'll be the weekend after my birthday, so it could be a birthday present/party for me. :toothy

BreyerBuyer415
01-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Emily to be honest, being as south as we were (we did move an hour northward I guess), but South Carolina sort of seemed like "nearby" still. Tallahassee though, that is a haul! ;)

Ok, so I guess I should start to think of how to organize a tentative list. Sandy I'm noting this for now & will PM or otherwise contact you when I've got a wee formal form! & Lindsay, just :lol

That's the only thing about living here..Makes it harder to go to events like this! :sigh If there's ANY way I can work something out, it'd be awesome! The distance does put a damper on things, though. We are trying to find a time to get back up there in the near future to check on some things, and maybe I can see if we can work it out to go then! :hubba

Morgen
01-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Honestly Emily a flight out might be cheaper, but then you'd have to work out travel from the airport.. although you can rent cars for $50/day or so or less. (Or carpool but that's sooooo tricky with flights if there are delays). But with the cost of gas sometimes flying is cheaper. I wish we'd flown back to New England for example. There's a day I can't have back & the car/gas it was almost the same as the flight. ;)

Shannon I really was hoping for you & Susan! :D

Lindsay, PMed you so you can make informed flight decision.. ditto for anyone else flying & unsure. The more I think about that Biscoe hotel tho the more I think.. eh... mmm... I should go IN there. Lol! Hard to say.. Asheboro is really where it's at! ;)

Sandy A I hear you there. We boarded the last time & it really added up costs fast! (It was a very safe place tho at least)

RivnRo
01-15-2014, 11:10 PM
Honestly I wonder if we could? I'm looking into DSL here (we aren't sure we have functional phone lines anymore & I may be locked into a year more with Hughesnet..). The daily/monthly bandwidth limit would put the kabosh on it, just like your cell phone limits... buuuuuuut if I had DSL it wouldn't matter. It might hiccup or have to be poor quality to stream. I don't know how that works. Is there somewhere to find out more about what you need? There are SO many times I've wanted to do this for various things! :)

I'd suggest ustream over Skype. It's pretty one sided, but less "connection dependent" and less distracting. Given I can do it, while drinking mead and beheading Moody's..pretty sure you can pull it off

Morgen
01-16-2014, 10:00 AM
I can see why that would work Shauna! I am wondering if I have to call $%*#@$ Hughenet for another hour long wait just to find out if I'm locked into a contract since we moved & every time it's a new contract basically. That's been my experience with phones and other services. Oh would I love to have unlimited download time though for BIG file like hi-res horse videos & some streaming TV shows.

DrSteggy
01-16-2014, 10:04 AM
I wish I could swing this-I just don't have enough vacation time left to pull it off. It's going to be an amazing and informative event though!

ETA-though, if it's Skype-able, I am in.

Morgen
01-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Honestly Jackie YOU should come down & BE a guest judge yourself. I didn't emphasize the point nearly enouhg but of a course we need more judges & am hoping this helps people feel more confident about volunteering to do so!

I'm REALLY REALLY lucky that Ann has family a few hours away & they are using this as an excuse to come down. I so soo sooo wish I could justify charging more & then flying in someone but yeah. It seems like clinics are less attended than shows soooo it didn't seem like a working model. We'll try tho. I don't quite have a great layout for a show buuuuut clinics are possible. Skype will definitely be on my list of things to get around here! :D

SylvanTrails
01-16-2014, 12:14 PM
It seems like clinics are less attended than shows soooo it didn't seem like a working model. We'll try tho. I don't quite have a great layout for a show buuuuut clinics are possible. Skype will definitely be on my list of things to get around here! :D

You should have been to...Tina Ferro's home show (or was it Kim Bjorgo's, it's been long enough I forget exactly who's it was). Anyway, the classes were in one room of her house and the show tables were scattered all throughout the house. :D

Morgen
01-16-2014, 02:48 PM
You should have been to...Tina Ferro's home show (or was it Kim Bjorgo's, it's been long enough I forget exactly who's it was). Anyway, the classes were in one room of her house and the show tables were scattered all throughout the house. :D

That sounds like so much fun! I haven't been to a home show since the 80s. I would like to see more of those come about!

DrSteggy
01-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Honestly Jackie YOU should come down & BE a guest judge yourself. I didn't emphasize the point nearly enouhg but of a course we need more judges & am hoping this helps people feel more confident about volunteering to do so!

I *really* wish that I could--all my vacation time is already planned out for the year (my husband wants to take a non model/non zombie based trip. I know, right?) except one day...which I kinda want to save in case the immune system fails me!