PDA

View Full Version : Blab Chat - keep it? or axe it?

Mary
03-06-2014, 11:36 AM
When I came on to Blab in 2004 / 2006 (into management role), online chat was all the thing. Blab's Chat Room was in regular use.

Chat Room use has tapered off in the last couple of years and I don't think it was only used 8-10 times, total, last year 2013.

Blab pays a monthly fee for it - not exorbitant, but worth cutting off if there is no longer much interest.

What are your thoughts, Blabbers ... if Chat goes away, would you miss it? Would you know? ;) :grintongue

:talk :talk :talk

RivnRo
03-06-2014, 11:39 AM
As it doesn't work with the tablets... Let it gooooo ;)

Lol wait that sounds bad... The point was more that several of us who were using it regularly no longer do because of the tablet thing.

Nichelle
03-06-2014, 11:43 AM
I forgot that we had it. :uh

Choice
03-06-2014, 11:56 AM
I have never used it....
So I wouldn't miss it.

Mary
03-06-2014, 11:58 AM
As it doesn't work with the tablets... Let it gooooo ;)

Lol wait that sounds bad... The point was more that several of us who were using it regularly no longer do because of the tablet thing.

Yes, I've really noticed that the big-time chat afficionados aren't active on it any more.

The other thing is that the internet generally is much, much, much faster than it was 5-6 years ago. I think a lot of the fever for Chat was because it moved fast, but now I think people are satisfied with the threads.

Think back ... 6-8 years ago, chat was The Thing for websites to have, now almost none do except for customer service purposes.

turbogrrl
03-06-2014, 12:00 PM
I forgot that we had it. :uh

:yeahthat

Beethovens7th
03-06-2014, 12:02 PM
i cannot type that quickly and thus cannot keep up with the conversations, so i gave it up. Sad to see it go, though, if others enjoyed it...
:dunno

muggyscugglemeyer
03-06-2014, 01:17 PM
I've never used it. I just PM people.

micamoney
03-06-2014, 01:58 PM
There are a few of us that use it (I do!). I really like having it, and I (personally) would miss it if it did go away. I just love talking to people, and it's a lot faster for me than a PM. I can have it open as a different window and just keep Blabbing instead of getting the PM pop-up every time I get a new message.

If it does go away, I'll get used to not having it. But...I do really like it. :)

RobinHoodFan
03-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Recently I've gone in a couple of times but no one is there.....instead of a separate chat...what about a "shout block" on the side of the main screen? Just like an open dialogue/chat-room going on constantly? The MLP arena had one but it looks like it's gon enow :dunno Haven't been over there in awhile. However, if you have something like that, then you wouldn't be able to open in a new window though...at least theirs didn't I don't think....but WAS also on the sidebar on every page if I remember correctly.

ETA: Oh wait..it's still there...you just have to be logged in...here's a screenshot of what i'm talking about:

It can serve as a small chat-room or if you just wanna shout somethin' out without starting a whole thread about it.

PixelPerfectStables
03-06-2014, 02:20 PM
I used it a few times when I first got on here in 2011/early 2012, but then my computer updated and I lost the ability to use it. I got a new computer last year and was finally able to participate again, but other than specific times it seems like no one's ever there. I'd lean towards axing it if no one's using it and it's eating up extra funds.

Princesstriage
03-06-2014, 03:04 PM
I thought we had a few ladies who still use it.

I liked logging into it for a little bit here and there until I updated to windows 8 and it with the slow piece of crap internet we have here it's been cumbersome just trying to gain access to it since it requires java which doesn't come installed.

I think I could easily get over it should it have to be axed... especially if the funds being funneled into it could go into something better for blab.

However, If something like Christina suggested could be implemented for Chat purposes, I think it would be nice to look into the possibility of doing it.

cassiem
03-06-2014, 04:24 PM
I never use it - I want to, but when I log on, there's never anyone on. So I don't bother.

micamoney
03-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Usually the people who use it are me, VAFLindsay, freakofnature (occasionally), Sandy_A., and magicgothelf. We're really the only ones ever in there. I'll usually pop on at night when I'm procrastinating. :lol

RivnRo
03-06-2014, 04:38 PM
I miss it..but not enough to go find my actual computer

airen
03-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Unnecessary expenditure.

groteske
03-06-2014, 06:21 PM
There kinda has to be people using it in order to attract more people to it.. so on that basis I'd be inclined to loose the guillotine. It's fun when there are multiple people on, but that only happens during well-advertised Blab events.

That said I've seen RHF's sidebar widget there utilized in many other forums with pretty good success. It would be fun to have a sidebar where you can drop in casually without having to stop, wait ten years for Java to do its thing, then find there's just you and two people (both of whom are idling). But I can see how the sidebar could become annoying unwanted real estate for someone who isn't into 'chatting'.

lifeishorsesarelove
03-06-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm sure there are other chat services that can be utilized for the blab chat "Events".

I used to pop in there when I noticed someone was on. Having uninstalled Java (my version had gone corrupt and was giving me annoying popups and behaving like a virus) I no longer use it.
And as Shauna pointed out, it doesn't work on tablets (or phones!) which many of us use to access blab, so that curbs its potential as well.

Jocelyn
03-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Meh, I'm fine with axing it. I personally never use it and I rarely see activity on it anymore.

RobinHoodFan
03-06-2014, 07:20 PM
There kinda has to be people using it in order to attract more people to it.. so on that basis I'd be inclined to loose the guillotine. It's fun when there are multiple people on, but that only happens during well-advertised Blab events.

That said I've seen RHF's sidebar widget there utilized in many other forums with pretty good success. It would be fun to have a sidebar where you can drop in casually without having to stop, wait ten years for Java to do its thing, then find there's just you and two people (both of whom are idling). But I can see how the sidebar could become annoying unwanted real estate for someone who isn't into 'chatting'.

I believe you can actually hide that sidebar thing by clicking the line at the top right.

Maybe have the little shout box it at the top next to the blab logo where you can open it or minimize it per your preference? Just a little thing.. :)

horsefreak
03-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I have never used it....
So I wouldn't miss it.

VAFLindsay
03-06-2014, 07:35 PM
If Telepwen would get her butt back on Blab....

Yes, Sandy, MagicGothElf and I are in there most every night. It's nice to have people to chat with, and with custom work recently, it's nice to be able to ask Sandy questions quickly. I'd miss it, but the shout box things looks neat.

Mary
03-06-2014, 08:19 PM
If Telepwen would get her butt back on Blab....

Yes, Sandy, MagicGothElf and I are in there most every night. It's nice to have people to chat with, and with custom work recently, it's nice to be able to ask Sandy questions quickly. I'd miss it, but the shout box things looks neat.

Didn't realize ... I was looking at the thread for "I'm in chat". It was intended to pop up and alert people who are looking at the New Posts page. :)

The sidebar thing looks interesting. Will check into it.

VAFLindsay
03-06-2014, 08:24 PM
I think it's a natural thing for myself and Sandy and Amy to just log in at night. :) I never think to post in the thread.

Sandy A.
03-06-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm in chat most nights, but I just look to see if someone is there.. I never post in the thread..

MadHatterDA
03-06-2014, 08:36 PM
I've never had a desire to use it. I pm people or send them a FB message if I really want to talk or Skype. I like the Arenas sidebar and it would probably get more attention anyway since you see it all the time on the home page.

freakofnature
03-06-2014, 09:19 PM
I pop into chat every now and then if I'm not too busy doing other things. I like chatting with a group of people as opposed to having a pm conversation with just one. Having said that, it wouldn't be a big deal to me if the chat feature was removed.

DooWiki
03-06-2014, 09:24 PM
I have never used it....
So I wouldn't miss it.