PDA

View Full Version : Mel Miller/Chinook Studios retiring

Mel Miller
06-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Friends and fellow hobbyists;

BreyerFest this year will mark my official retirement from full time professional model horse art. I am not burnt out and I am not completely leaving, but it is time for my work to become a hobby again. Over the coming year the traditional horses I am currently working on for BreyerFest will be available at auction, and the big mini batch will be for sale in my room at the HIN. I will be running sales online as well to give everyone a chance at this final hurrah. I do not have details of the sale ironed out yet, but information will be posted as soon as it is available.

Over the few months after BreyerFest I will be finishing the remainder of my commissions. Those who have work with me do not need to worry about losing their spot(s). After that, I expect that I will produce some horses but at a drastically reduced rate. I cannot say if that means one horse a year or a handful as I do not know what my circumstances will be. I do have a cabinet of wonderful resins (many already customized and prepped!) that I am looking forward to painting in the future. I might even get to keep something now!

I am so thankful I had the chance to do this work full time for as long as I did. I appreciate everyone who has supported me through purchases or simply been a friendly face online and at shows. If you'll be at BreyerFest this year, I'll see you in a month! And now, back to work. These horses aren't going to finish themselves.

Erin
06-06-2014, 01:38 PM
So I'm pretending this is isn't happening for my own reasons, but it bears repeating - This is Mel's *last year* of the Breyerfest Customized Model Sales-Palooza... so buy them this year or lose out people! Just don't buy the ones *I* want....

:ninja

akwidman
06-06-2014, 02:22 PM
I am actually :cry right now. This is such a big hit to the hobby. Mel is THE BEST customizer/finishwork extraordinaire out there. Are there good customizers in the hobby? Yes. Are there good finishwork artists? Yes. But I genuinely don't think anyone can do both as well as Mel can! :toothy :bow

Can you tell this is going to be tough on me? :lol

RobinHoodFan
06-06-2014, 02:27 PM
:hugg You will be greatly missed! Do keep horsin' around though and keep us posted! Best of luck with everything!

Mel Miller
06-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys! And awwww Amy. :hugg

JulieB
06-06-2014, 02:43 PM
:hugg You will be greatly missed! Do keep horsin' around though and keep us posted!

This! As a CM'er, I've greatly admired your work!

Guess my chances of getting one of those great customs will drop off significantly now. :toothy

RobinHoodFan
06-06-2014, 03:28 PM
This! As a CM'er, I've greatly admired your work!

Guess my chances of getting one of those great customs will drop off significantly now. :toothy

:yeahthat Not only do I admire your skill, Mel, but the "assembly line" production method still boggles my mind! You are a powerhouse! No wonder you want to take it easy now :lol

MBPearls
06-06-2014, 03:41 PM
*practices pulling credit cards out of wallet*

texxdog
06-06-2014, 07:46 PM
:cry

cheseri
06-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Glad to see it's just a scaling back instead of a complete never again type of retirement. Your pieces are always so inspiring :). What are your plans instead of models for a living?

tibbi
06-07-2014, 12:38 AM
Sorry you have to give it up as a full time job. You had a great system for turning out quality work. But I know it's hard to really make a living at it.

Char
06-07-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you are retiring, but glad that you are planning to keep enjoying the hobby =D