PDA

View Full Version : Artists of all types! Have I got something for you..! (All hobby aspects as well) ;)

Morgen
06-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Coming soon...!
http://modelhorsedirectory.com/MHD/images/titlelayered.jpg
http://modelhorsedirectory.com (http://modelhorsedirectory.com)
Look for me at Breyerfest across the aisle from the Breyer silent auction booth. I'll have my demo/mock up copies & will be interested in ideas too!
Taking submissions starting August 1st of this year for next year! :)
http://modelhorsedirectory.com/MHD/images/clearedmagazinesMED.jpg

cheseri
06-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Oooooooo :dinner

airen
06-28-2014, 06:50 PM
So excited about this, Morgen! :woohoo

Morgen
06-28-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm excited you guys are excited!!! Eee!

Shaheen
06-28-2014, 07:46 PM
What a good idea!

bmstablesnz
06-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Now this looks awesome!!!!

Amanda
06-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Morgen this is seriously AMAZING! Brilliant Idea :D!

YearZero
06-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Really looking forward to seeing where this goes!

VAFLindsay
06-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Morgen, I emailed you, but please, if you need help with ANYTHING, let me know. I love this sort of stuff and have a small background (very small, like high school/college), but I'd love to see this take off and succeed. You know where to find me. :yes :grin

Stumbleine
06-28-2014, 10:02 PM
So awesome!!

Morgen
06-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Thank you guys! Lindsay that's a serious kind offer.. you never know!

Morgen
06-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Wow.. I just got a email notification for about 6 responses back (and that was the first for me for this thread - crazy Blab!) :D

I wanted to add that I put up a couple of new categories today that I meant to from the get go (but honestly when you're looking a list during BF time you sort of always tend "see" things on the list that aren't there, right?). ANYHOW,
-Dollmakers
-Tack Makers (!! these are not under "prop")
-Vehicle Makers (Horse Drawn Vehicle Maker was too long.. Buggy & Carts was not encompassing enough)..

As you see it's a work in progress but I have a LOT to think about after Breyerfest! :)

VAFLindsay
06-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Thank you guys! Lindsay that's a serious kind offer.. you never know!

You know where to find me. ;)

Keren
06-30-2014, 06:25 AM
Do you have a schedule of fees yet?

Keren

ElkStarRanch
06-30-2014, 08:42 AM
COOL - so bummed I won't be a Breyerfest to get a copy!

JulieB
06-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Cool!!!!!

LesliKathman
06-30-2014, 09:49 AM
What a great idea!

Morgen
06-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Do you have a schedule of fees yet?

Keren

I do Keren! :) http://modelhorsedirectory.com/MHD/pricing.htm

COOL - so bummed I won't be a Breyerfest to get a copy!

Remember I'm only doing a promotional this year - it won't be handed out until NEXT Breyerfest (when I hopefully have lots & lots of listings to make it worthwhile picking up anyhow!)..! :) However my goal is to use a "Print on Demand" publisher ALSO, so that people at home can buy one at actual printing costs. Those could be high. If it's a 200pg directory for example, Blurb's cost (per a quote right this second) are $32 per book PLUS shipping.. But that's a LOT of directory right there & you can order it at any time & ship to anywhere. And I don't have to be involved which saves confusion and lots of problems that crop up to subscribed magazines.

My goal though is to introduce a whole new world of people at Breyerfest to the hobby & things they didn't know existed! :D We used to have these sorts of things handed out at Breyerfest in other magazines.. time to bring it back imo with a little twist! :)

Chris Flint
07-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Like I said on FB - SIGN ME UP!!!! Thanks Morgen! This is a fantastic project you've got going here. :D

~ Chris.

Seunta
07-01-2014, 11:20 AM
:yourock

Morgen
08-01-2014, 12:33 PM
It's August 1st and we are up & taking those listings now!
http://modelhorsedirectory.com

Woot!!

cheseri
08-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Holy Crap Morgen that is SO SO COOL!!! So the first issue is planned for around Breyerfest time next year?

Morgen
08-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Righto! This gives me (and everyone) enough time to pull together ads & funds & get it done hopefully without a hitch. I tentatively have an additional goal to be completed & ready earlier .. but I don't dare promise anything more than the Breyerfest distribution. That is scary enough! :)

Morgen
08-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Mind you it's not as scary as deadlines I had working for a big company and vastly higher distributions (things that required me once to even hire a tractor trailer to haul pallets of inserts to Science magazine's presses!). Soooooooo .. I've done scarier things. lol! I just needed a lil jolt of adrenaline here I think. ;)

KayQue
08-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Ooooh! Neat!!!! :)

cheseri
08-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Breyerfest timing I think works out perfect :yes.

onekindacowboy
08-01-2014, 03:28 PM
I can't seem to find the categories as I am on my phone but is there a category for awards? As in someone who would offer ribbons and /or trophies for model shows?

Morgen
08-01-2014, 04:14 PM
I can't seem to find the categories as I am on my phone but is there a category for awards? As in someone who would offer ribbons and /or trophies for model shows?

Oh interesting!!! I've tried brainstorming with people but didn't think of everything. I wonder if Ribbons, Trophies and Show Supplies would be a good category there. & They're listed on the form itself in a drop down menu. Those may not work on phones. I don't know. It's as basic as I can make it...

VAFLindsay
08-01-2014, 04:47 PM
That would be a great addition. I can't wait to see this whole piece put together!! :yaymiller

Char
08-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Very cool, definately considering this for CharArt.

cheseri
08-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Morgen will there be limited space available, or will you just create the number of pages you need for how ever many ads you sell?

Morgen
08-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Added the Trophies, Ribbons and Show Supply category! :)

Morgen will there be limited space available, or will you just create the number of pages you need for how ever many ads you sell?

There is an interesting limit & then I have to go with a different supplier than what I've got quoted. If I get above 200 pages, it's possible - look at some of your magazines, ads add up fast!.. then I have to go to the company like the one Lesli Kathman did her book with. Otherwise I've got a nice place in Montana that does good work & isn't a total unknown. I also have a couple local options but honestly prefer a BIG established place to a local printer unless I can really oversee what happens locally. Anyhow, bottom line; I'm not limiting it unless something insanely unforeseen comes up (just never say never I guess but I can't imagine what, there are many many options out there).

cheseri
08-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Great, thanks, just wondering how early to reserve a page :haha

LesliKathman
08-02-2014, 05:58 AM
If I get above 200 pages, it's possible - look at some of your magazines, ads add up fast!.. then I have to go to the company like the one Lesli Kathman did her book with. Otherwise I've got a nice place in Montana that does good work & isn't a total unknown. I also have a couple local options but honestly prefer a BIG established place to a local printer unless I can really oversee what happens locally. Anyhow, bottom line; I'm not limiting it unless something insanely unforeseen comes up (just never say never I guess but I can't imagine what, there are many many options out there).

There are so many more options for color printing than there were even two years ago, and I suspect within the year there will be more still.

For what it is worth, I used two different printing companies - CreateSpace and IngramSpark - for my books. If you buy the book from Amazon, or got one of the advance copies at BreyerFest, then their subsidiary CreateSpace printed it. If you have a hardcover or one of the softcovers that came directly from me, then it was printed by Ingram. The print quality on the IngramSpark books is slightly higher, which is why I chose to stock those, but they are SLOW. Really, really slow compared to CreateSpace, which has the obvious benefit of Amazon's size and distribution system. IngramSpark is a subsidiary of Lightning Source, which is the largest printing company in the traditional book publishing trade - and it works on what seems more like that older idea of time! :) I can see the difference between the two printers, but I have been surprised to find that most readers do not. Both companies print a product that, at least in my experience, is more consistent in terms of color fidelity (and certainly registration) than many breed magazines I get now. (The print quality on many specialty magazines seems to have suffered in recent years.)

Both companies do their printing in the United States, which for me was a selling point. (Traditional book printing is now done almost exclusively in Asia.) With CreateSpace, they use local printers around the country and just where yours was printed depends on where you live. When I order here in Charlotte, the books are printed in Charleston. If you look at the back inside cover, it will indicate where it was printed. Overseas orders are usually printed in a nearby country, which makes it possible to ship at reasonable rates.

Eleda
08-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Count us in!
Text ad has been submitted, and we'll get working on a display-ready 1/2-pager!

Morgen
08-02-2014, 03:14 PM
I obviously have a lot of people to get back to now.. but Lesli, your post and an inquiry I got today reminded me that I daftly left off "Books and Publications" as a category! That's up there now.
IngramSpark is tremendously exciting to me as an alternative to Blurb.. which I'm actually not fond of. They use proprietary software that is glitchy at best (they admit their magazine style layout software is beta and don't have solutions for some issues) and of course exclusive to them. I had a plan for addressing this when making the print on demand version but it was a whole second layout project. I need to speak with a rep at Ingram & ask a few questions but they nearly are my first choice. Having printed comparison samples in front of me will make up my mind. I'm not too huge a fan of digital printing quality, but as you say, not too many people notice the color precision/vibrancy losses and in doing print on demand at least part of this will likely go that route. I can't say how relieved I am that more options are becoming available! THANK YOU so much for alerting me to this one!

Eleda, I have to get back to you too but thank you!! :D

cheseri
08-09-2014, 12:02 PM
So I had a random thought, and thought I'd ask here if it sounds like a good idea (and Morgen if you are ok with it) before I think on it anymore. Perhaps it would be a good idea to purchase a couple of ad spaces to put in some tutorials of good transaction behavior and processes? Would anyone want to put anything towards covering the cost of that? Things like what is good communication, some places to check references, tips for youth, a basic explanation of what LSQ, Mint, etc quality are, and so on.

Thoughts? This just sort of randomly came to me so I wanted to get input on whether I was off my rocker to think about doing it.

Morgen
08-09-2014, 06:30 PM
I had to read this a few times... so YOU were thinking of doing it then Lauren? (It's such a tricky slope but not a bad idea I guess)

cheseri
08-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Sorry Morgan :haha, one of those early morning ideas that I posted before my brain was fully awake and functioning.

Most of the advice I'm thinking of is really basic things we constantly repeat to newbies who are just starting into the person-person type of transactions from store buying. Since you plan to hand it out at breyerfest, I feel like it has the potential to bring in a number of new buyers like that, so why not give them some basic guidelines of how things work to grease the wheels so to speak and give them some helpful direction.

Advice like "if you are under 18, make sure you get your parents permission BEFORE entering into any transactions", or "if you would like to check the person's previous transaction history - much like feedback on ebay - you can check some of these sites where people leave color coded lights and comments about transactions they have completed. Green = went well, yellow = caution, small issues but resolved, and Red = problems arose", etc.

Very basic info :yes

I don't think I'd consider myself the author of such information since all us experience model horse people have been saying it for years :haha, but I'd be happy to do the work of compiling and organizing the information and have it edited by a couple other experienced hobbyists so that it would be print ready for you Morgen :). I just cant afford to pay for an entire full page ad for it, but I'd be happy to put in the work and put in what $ I can if others would be interested in helping make up the difference. I just thought I'd get a feel for if people had interest and if you were ok with it first :). If there's anything you were concerned about printing I'd have no problem with you checking the final proof for wording before doing so. I've just seen a LOT of basic problems arise lately - especially because of the increased use in facebook, that seems to be coming mostly from a lot of young and inexperienced people. Thought this would be one good way to help that :)

Morgen
08-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Ah ok. I wasn't going to stop you if you were offering! lol! So because it's being printed & handed out for free.. and can easily wind up costing me $10,000 or so, yes.. every page is precious. I've made a commitment to not do too many articles, and honestly the ones I do do need to be short (especially to hold interest of newbies!), and introductory to artistic aspects which of course is where I hope this benefits people the most. It's my mission to help create some artist awareness I guess! lol!

THAT said, I've seen lots of magazines make use of spare holes by putting in tips or self promos.. I think this is a great idea for me to throw some hobby etiquette tips in there. Tx for the idea!

cheseri
08-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Sure! I'll work on getting something put together by the end of the year that you can decide how/how much you want to put in. Either I can try finding a few others willing to help cover the cost of purchasing an ad page, or you can feel free to just use it as you said to fill little holes :) And of course you can always pick and choose what to include, and add your own if you prefer :)

Eleda
08-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi Morgen,

I haven't heard anything back yet... If you're inundated, it's no problem. Just want to make sure my super ninja spam filter didn't eat a message from you.
:blueflower

Morgen
08-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Interesting.. my inbox is jamming as I search but I see I replied to you on the 2nd.. ugh.. I'll try to resend later. It's really all clogged up now with the search parameter I gave it! Eeps!