PDA

View Full Version : Original Poster Highlight

lifeishorsesarelove
08-06-2014, 11:13 PM
I am curious as to whether this is a "me" problem or if others would like this as well.

On a popular horse forum I am on, within a thread, all replies on that thread that are made by the original poster are marked. Beneath the username, "Original Poster" is ridden in red block letters.

I find this very helpful in threads that get derailed, or drag on with repetitive posts, if I would like to find out what happened for the OP or to hear their response, even if I don't care about the rest of the mayhem. Additionally, I find it helps me keep track of the different "characters" in a thread, and not get my posters confused, particularly if I have signatures turned off or many posters do not have icons.

Would such a thing be possible to do with our forum? Some way to highlight "HEY, THIS IS WHO STARTED THIS THREAD". I don't know a thing about formatting and such, so I have no idea :D

Would others like this? Am I the only one who gets their posters confused and has to go back to check the first post?

Mary
08-07-2014, 12:23 AM
... On a popular horse forum I am on, within a thread, all replies on that thread that are made by the original poster are marked. Beneath the username, "Original Poster" is ridden in red block letters.

Fairly certain you are talking about the COTH forum. :) I frequent it as well, at times. Yes, I think the OP designation is terrific, and I've been thinking for some time I would like Blab to have that. Hoping it's part of the software after the next upgrade. If it isn't, I'll see if we can hack it in somehow.

So I'm not the only one who likes that idea for Blab! Glad to know that. :yes

:rays

cheseri
08-07-2014, 02:10 AM
It's not something I feel like I need, but I wouldn't mind it at all either :blueflower

RobinHoodFan
08-07-2014, 07:54 AM
It's not something I feel like I need, but I wouldn't mind it at all either :blueflower

:agreed Not a necessity but probably a nice little convenient feature to have :)

onekindacowboy
08-07-2014, 08:31 AM
I like it as well....whatever you do dontbswitch to delphi LOL
I am on another forum which allows you to tag members similar to facebook. I also like that feature. It is Vanilla.

Eviejean
08-07-2014, 08:39 AM
I am on another forum which allows you to tag members similar to facebook. I also like that feature. It is Vanilla.
Not being on Facebook, I don't know what it means to tag a member...
Can you elaborate, please?

VWK'sanEasyGoer
08-07-2014, 08:42 AM
I think it would be good for some threads but for one's like the DAH thread and "In Hand Pics..." kind of thing I don't think it would be beneficial as those threads are not as much a discussion thread (well I know they are a discussion but there's a difference then for example the current Out of the Closet thread). I would feel a little weird if I started a thread like that about a model or whatever and then every time I posted it highlighted me. Just my feeling on it.

Otherwise I'm neutral on the subject. I am not on any other forums so I have no basis to yay or nay (or should I say yay or neigh??) :)

onekindacowboy
08-07-2014, 08:53 AM
When you are "tagged" the program notifies you.

Eviejean
08-07-2014, 08:55 AM
When you are "tagged" the program notifies you.
Thanks for the clarification...

Eviejean
08-07-2014, 09:00 AM
As for the answer to the OP's question, I'm not a person that likes to be the center of attention and to have my name/member ID highlited in bold red letters just because I'm the original poster...

Meh, I don't think I'd be too crazy about that.

RobinHoodFan
08-07-2014, 09:14 AM

I would LOVE something like that here! I can't tell you how many times I wanted to tag people in a thread so they see it. It's annoying to have to resort to PM and fill up the inbox.

RobinHoodFan
08-07-2014, 09:20 AM
I would feel a little weird if I started a thread like that about a model or whatever and then every time I posted it highlighted me.

I do totally see your point. I wouldn't want it as a big obvious highlight either. But if it was just black text somewhere on the post, maybe top right corner? I think it'd be fine...just something small where if you're looking for it, you can see it.

lifeishorsesarelove
08-07-2014, 11:46 PM
I do totally see your point. I wouldn't want it as a big obvious highlight either. But if it was just black text somewhere on the post, maybe top right corner? I think it'd be fine...just something small where if you're looking for it, you can see it.

Yeah, I'm not thinking we highlight the whole text box the post goes in in BRIGHT YELLOW, more like just a little red text "Original Poster", like used on COTH, or something similar in the side bar with the user info.
Having it in a contrasting colour from the theme is good, too, because when you just want to scroll to "find out what happened", you can. (Think of this in those dragged out TTB threads where everyone feels the need to comment, or the Custom progress threads where its post after post of "AWESOME, Love it!")

On COTH (because yes, that is what gave me the idea) on the big "community" threads, you don't really notice it. But if you're looking, its a super helpful visual reminder.

Mary
08-10-2014, 01:10 PM
COTH threads have 20 posts per page and good discussions quickly grow to several pages, then dozens of pages - that's a lot to read! The OP designation is welcome, because otherwise it becomes impossible to remember who brought it all up in the first place. :)

The Snow Leopard
08-14-2014, 07:18 PM
I love that idea!

RobinHoodFan
08-14-2014, 09:10 PM
COTH threads have 20 posts per page and good discussions quickly grow to several pages, then dozens of pages - that's a lot to read! The OP designation is welcome, because otherwise it becomes impossible to remember who brought it all up in the first place. :)

That's why I set my posts per page to the max here...I like not having to click next every few posts...I'd rather just scroll :lol

Mary
08-15-2014, 09:38 PM
That's why I set my posts per page to the max here...I like not having to click next every few posts...I'd rather just scroll :lol

That's interesting - because I've been thinking of setting the default up to 20 per page, rather than the current 10 per page. The current page was set way way back in ye olde days when a lot of people were on dial-up connections and it was important to minimize page loading. Now I have nieces and nephews graduating college who are so very techy and have no idea what a dial-up connection is. :lol

So in this day & age instead of minimizing page load, we want to max it, so people can scroll and not have to re-load the next page so much. Love those accelerated network transmission rates ...
:dogrun

Mary
08-18-2014, 10:25 PM
It's done! Blab has an Original Poster tag! Thanks Matt W.!

At present it is below the avatar and other side stuff. I will see if we can get it directly under the name.

:rays :woohoo

lifeishorsesarelove
08-19-2014, 11:14 AM
It's done! Blab has an Original Poster tag! Thanks Matt W.!

At present it is below the avatar and other side stuff. I will see if we can get it directly under the name.

:rays :woohoo

:woohoo

I feel kinda special. And I like the tag, too, even if you can't move it up its in a good spot :)

RobinHoodFan
08-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Neat! Not too shabby :)

RobinHoodFan
08-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Noticed it just moved to under the little rocker dude (above point bar) :toothy.

Brenda
08-19-2014, 06:51 PM
I was wondering what the blue 'original poster' thing as all about. I like knowing on subsequent pages who started the thread without having to go back to the first post. It helps when the OP has added further information or posted an update.

VWK'sanEasyGoer
08-19-2014, 07:53 PM
I noticed it today too and I think it's nice and subtle where it is and blue is nice too. :)

Truson
08-28-2014, 11:12 PM

Yeah, but things blow up on COTH a lot too. It's my experience that we have a friendlier group here. I don't have to put anyone on my ignore list here to keep from being put in the "penalty box"!

Mary
08-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Yeah, but things blow up on COTH a lot too. It's my experience that we have a friendlier group here. I don't have to put anyone on my ignore list here to keep from being put in the "penalty box"!

COTH moderating has also been through a journey. They learned a very hard lesson that these boards can't be un-moderated if a large-ish section of the public has access. It just becomes a troll-fest, and if you read COTH a few years ago you know how bad it was and how many of the great people who post there now avoided it. It's really been cleaned up. But they still allow a lot of personal remarks and baiting that we learned on Blab go nowhere in terms of a discussion people want to read. Although I guess the "penalty box" means they are tightening up a bit more! :lol