PDA

View Full Version : Toltally our of here!

RivnRo
08-09-2014, 09:28 PM
On Tuesday August 12th ill be making the first leg on my trip of a lifetime! We are unclear how much connectivity we will have while actually ridding the golden circle of Icelands wilds. And lets face it I may be too pooped after the eight and nine hour days in the saddle to post ;).

If you have ANY questions about horses in my..care? Please ask now! Pretty sure envy one is aware of where their poor ponies are at.
If you have anything in transit or about to be in transit (I don't think that's anyone) Adam and Brielle are still here at the house but I won't be able to confirm receipt until I'm back around the 24th

If I find myself in a GOOD wifi position I will start a thread of photos and introduce you guys to my four legged partner etc i promise!!

~Shauna

Horse Lady 6
08-09-2014, 09:31 PM
AAAAH Shauna I'm SO excited for you!! I can't wait to hear all about it!

BreyerBuyer415
08-09-2014, 09:32 PM
I hope you have a wonderful time, and I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing about your amazing trip! I am definitely a bit envious (I mean, who wouldn't be!), but so excited for you! :yaymiller Take care and be safe! :hugg

T-Whinny Gal
08-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Be so safe and have a good time - and don't forget the pics!

horsefreak
08-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Have fun!

RedMorgan
08-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Safe travels!...Don

Equus of Antiquity
08-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Have a wonderful and safe trip!

shadow's storm
08-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Lots and lots of pics please ;). Hope you have oodles of fun!

DooWiki
08-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Double post - more words to say HAVE FUN!!!

DooWiki
08-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Take lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of pictures!!!

(And no hacking ponies unless it's a tölt.)

solticeart
08-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Oh wow! your going to have a blast !!! Icelandic horses ( Make sure you call them horses not ponies or the people there might get mad lol) They are so much fun to ride! Many years ago when I as the graphic designer for the Icelandic Horse magazine, My bosses son in-law was from Iceland and was an icleandic horse trainer and he brought a herd from Iceland into the states and when they got out of quarantine he boarded them at my farm in Elk Washington for about 6 months or so. I got to ride one of them and had a blast! I think one of the funnest times I ever had riding, and I have ridden other gaited horses I even owned a peruvian paso back then. I hope you can take a lot of photos too. Have fun! I always wanted to go on a trek there but I hate to fly so.. yea not gonna happen.

camaro88lover
08-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Enjoy yourself!!

RivnRo
08-09-2014, 10:51 PM
I've already been to a local farm riding the little buggers :D. It's amazing how easily 13 hands can cart my keister. Actually their owner has asked if I'm interested in extending our relationship when I get back

texxdog
08-10-2014, 12:58 AM
Have a glitter-filled fabulous trip!

ALemon
08-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Let the vicarious living begin....
Have a spectacular time...

Gilder
08-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Oh, sweetie! Have fun! Be safe! Gather many memories and take some photos for the rest of us! :)

Shelf Elf
08-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Have a fabulous time and enjoy lots. As everyone has said take lots of photos. Love the pic of you riding. Good for you.

solticeart
08-10-2014, 12:30 PM
I've already been to a local farm riding the little buggers :D. It's amazing how easily 13 hands can cart my keister. Actually their owner has asked if I'm interested in extending our relationship when I get back

Yea they are strong little buggers. They have denser bone than other horses and can carry a lot more weight than a 15 hand horse can. The one I rode was actually 14 hands, large for a icey. That one your riding is very cute. They are fun to ride though dont you think? Love that tolt ( dont know where that O with the dots above it is lol) actually when I was looking for a new rhose I looked into getting one if I coudl find one 14 hands but there were none in my area that were that tall nor cheap enough for me. I was looking for like 3500.00 at the very most adn they usually run a lot more than that for one that talla dn trained on top of it so I'm glad I got my morgan gelding.. I do love morgans but I have to admit icelandics are fun to ride and if you can get one that does all 5 of the gaits ( walk, trot, canter, tolt, pace) you can do almost anything with them. They have the smooth gait and and a smooth speed gait more or less a speed rack if you can get them tolting that fast which most can, plus you can do dressage which they do pretty well too since they also trot. And they make wonderful trail horses too. What I loved was that speed rack or the tolt at a fast speed that I loved so much. We were racing them at that gait around the edges or a big 40 acres hay field that had just been tilled so it was nice soft dirt so we had fun! I will never forget that. Your going to have a blast.

RivnRo
08-10-2014, 12:53 PM
The fellow I'm ridding there is a five gaiter. I've ridden Peruvians and a few walkers but this is a neat kettle of fish. Now the paso llano is smoother but the tolt is a close second! But where the Peruvian is all flash and fire..the icey is a kind lab like critter who'd like to be your friend and do things together as budies.
The wildest part? His canter! Now the trot is so fast you cannot post ..the canter is like ridding a tiny rocket of a rocking horse. The up beat is gone and back again before you can think it through!! Ray took more photos from this excursion but I haven't seen them yet. They are ridden very differently than were used to so I look bloody awkward in most photos :D

solticeart
08-10-2014, 01:22 PM
yea its fun! I have also ridden peruvinas and they are very smooth but it feels almost like gliding if you get one really smooth ( my friend owned the world champion mare ( for her gait) and man she was smooth..She was who I usally ride when I ride with her nad I owned one of her sons for awhile and he was almost as smooth as her) and I have ridden gaited morgans ( we have 2 here) and walkers.. didnt think the walkers were really that smooth compared to the other breeds. But yea that icey was fun! they are a blast to ride and your right a whole different kettle of fish. If your used to a Qh then yea they are ridden different but I think actually that peruvians were the ones that were really ridden different. If you pull back they go faster, loose rein they slow down lol.. its how they train them if your riding traditional trained which I was.. so I thought they were weird and they acted kinda weird too more like deer! they are a bit more skittish I found. Not all of them were liek that but some were... but she had a lot of horses and they sure seemed more so than like morgans are, but the iceys I had at my palce were more like wild zebras! lol no kidding.. they fought just like that too. I'd hear squealing and they would back up to each other and kick the crap out of each other butt to butt, I mean really close touching and then kick and kick and squeal lol .. used to scare me at first but only one time did anyone really get hurt and it was one gelding who came up a bit lame but he was fine eventually. The lead mare was a big fighter..little 12 hand dun and mean! they were more feral like when left in herds than any breed I had ever seen..lol but yea iceys are a bit different to ride but not much more than how I have learned to ride, jsut a few things different. glad you like it though! not everyone does but I sure did. can't wait to see lots of pictures!

lifeishorsesarelove
08-11-2014, 06:40 AM
How exciting! Take way too many pictures, and have fun!!!!!

chopstix
08-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Can't wait to see more pictures! Have fun! :D

VAFLindsay
08-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Have an amazing time, hon! What an awesome opportunity. Take it all in, absorb the memories, and maybe you can take Brie someday!! :hugg :hugg

micamoney
08-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Have a fantastic time, Shauna! You'll be missed here! Can't wait to see a TON of photos! :) :woohoo

Beethovens7th
08-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Like Kelsie said, you'll be missed! :ppplease :hugg Have a good time and be safe like tons have said! And cannot wait to see pix!! :heyhey

rocket
08-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Awesome it was so cool seeing then at Fest but to ride em in their home land, priceless. Better post tons when you get back.

KayQue
08-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Whoop whoop!!!!!

RivnRo
08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Just making final prep. Will be traveling all day!

VAFLindsay
08-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Safe travels!!! We will miss you on here but will be totally jealous of you!!!

Truson
08-12-2014, 10:40 AM
That sounds neat! :)

RivnRo
08-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Just relaxing in the Edmonton airport. They've let me through security with my knitting needles so life is good!

BeezerMom
08-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Ha I just got the thread title...
Don't mind me being in the slow lane. Have a fantastic trip!