PDA

View Full Version : Guy's Farm and Yard Show

juliacodeman
10-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Sunday October 26 Williston, VT. anyone been?

jjbreyer
10-16-2014, 07:15 PM
I've helped host this show for many years now and attended the open show before that (when we still ran that). It's a very relaxed show, we try to keep it as a good learning experience. Classes are getting tougher and tougher each year which I LOVE. Means the novices and intermediates are listening and learning and moving up. We've had a number of folks start here and then move into the Open division and doing very well at NAN.

Classes are good sized, so you will have completion. Last year we had 16 folks showing between the two divisions. We DO use the Region 10 tag system so you will need to get your id and enter your horses into the system before the show. www.regionxnation.com

Novice division is great for those just getting started, have only attended a couple of shows and still getting your feet wet. The judge discusses placing's with showers and offers lots of tips and reminder (i.e. will remind folks to keep tags # side up, take halters off, etc.)

Intermediate division is good for those who feel they have a bit of an idea of what they are doing. Want to step it up before jumping into the Open ring. You won't hear the reminders as much from this judge - if your tag is upside down, bit out of place, have a TB in the draft class, the judge won't always offer a reminder to check that over and over before judging the class. Might be called once then that's it. Judge does offer tips and such after the class to those that would like them.

I know I'm obviously very biased on the show, but I like to think we put on a good show. Hopefully some of the others that are on this list and in the area will join in on the conversation. You can also check out the Reg. X facebook page "Region 10 NAMHSA" https://www.facebook.com/groups/243235197471/

BreyersForever
10-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Are you going, Julia? Because I am.

chopstix
10-19-2014, 09:01 AM
I went to this show YEARS ago and had a great time. It was one of my first live shows and I didn't do very well ribbons-wise, but I learned a great deal. One of the judge's, I'm sorry I don't remember who it was, was very kind and helpful when she explained to me why some my models did not place.

I'd love to attend another show there, but I'm pretty certain I'd no longer qualify as an Intermediate shower. jjbreyer, does Guy's not have an Open division show at all anymore? If not, what shows would you recommend in Vermont? I live in Maine and it's tough finding shows close enough and that I can get time off to attend.

BreyersForever, I hope you have a great time and I wish you the best of luck!!

jjbreyer
10-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Nope, Guy's doesn't do the Open division anymore. They're very focused on novices and intermediates now, which IMO is great because we need more shows for folks to start off with!! And if you told me which year you showed I could probably tell you who was judging.

Depending on how the spring goes I might host my own show again next year. I'll be thinking of that more toward Jan time frame (fall seems to be already getting crazy for me).

Otherwise, there are no other shows in VT. However there are still a lot of shows down in the MA area. One of my personal fav's is a two day show in Boxborough MA (just south west of Nashua, NH) that's typically held in Sept. - Baystate. It's at a local hotel there so everything is all in one place (and the restaurant has GREAT Crab Rangoon's!!). That's the only down fall to the hobby here in VT - I have to drive to all the shows. But you Mainer's have the same issue. Sigh.

But for all the shows in NE check out the Region 10 Webpage www.regionxnation.com and that's where every model show in the region will be posted. Most shows also get posted on the Yahoo group and on the facebook page (Region 10 NAMHSA for both places).

juliacodeman
10-21-2014, 02:03 AM
Thank you for all the info!! I do not show but wanted to go and see the goings on, I haven't been able to get up there for years but in past had a vendor table there, and I wondered what the turn out is since the website indicates that the show is happening again as though it hasn't been for some time?? and I was wondering if that was just the way it was worded? Anyways I would love to come and view the shows and peruse any vendors wares, is this a big enough show to do that at? I am coming from MA so it is a bit of a drive,,,,

jjbreyer
10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Oh no, the show has been happening every fall - last weekend in Oct. For a couple of years we had it in April when we ran it with Everything Equine at the fair grounds. But we stopped doing that a couple years ago and that's when we stopped having the open division. That's when we switched back to the fall/Halloween time frame.

Last I knew we had about 13 folks showing. I do know there are a couple other folks selling stuff (besides me) and the store will be having sales on Breyers as well. If it's worth the drive or not really depends on what your looking for and to do. It's all novice & intermediate showers (heavy on the intermediate apparently this year). I do understand the drive, I do that one a couple times a year to hit the shows down there. Makes for a LONG day if your not staying over.

jjbreyer
10-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Looking forward to the show tomorrow!!! We have 18 novice and intermediate showers!!!! And lots of folks looking to sell things (including me). Hoping folks are looking to buy. =)

Ghost_Wolf_Ranch
10-25-2014, 09:03 PM
I wish we weren't travelling in the opposite direction tomorrow, I'd love to stop by. :sigh

jjbreyer
10-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Missed you guys!! It was a great day and turn out. We had 18 showers!!!! Thanks to everyone that came out today and I hope you all had a lot of fun. I know I did!!