PDA

View Full Version : Am I being too pushy?

sharonl
12-22-2014, 05:50 AM
On December 9th, I bought a model on Ebay. It was/is supposed to be a Christmas present. The estimated delivery for the model was 3-6 days. Now, I know this is just an estimate, but the model is only coming from Maryland, and I'm in Ohio, so I didn't figure it would take very long. The seller has low feedback, but I checked and it was all positive with one neutral. '

I still don't have my model. :grump On the 17th, I messaged the seller, politely letting them know that I hadn't received it yet, and asking if/when it was sent, and if I could possibly have a tracking number. I also told them that it was supposed to be a Christmas present, hoping that might get them moving. No response. Nothing. :bluerant So, I waited, thinking it would probably just show up. Again, nothing. SO, I emailed them again this morning with a little more forceful message (still polite) asking them to please send me my model or at least let me know that it's on its way. :(

I realize that it hasn't been two weeks yet, but I really was hoping to have this before Christmas. :sigh I guess what bothers me is the total lack of communication. I am a very patient person, and if they would just message me and say, "Hey, yeah, we're running behind because of Christmas. We'll get it out to you asap.", I'd be ok with that. But please, just let me know! :bluerant

Or am I honestly just being a pain in the butt? I know it hasn't been very long, but if people take the time to sell on Ebay, shouldn't they also take the time to send what they sell in a timely manner? :sigh I sell models from time to time, and as soon as I receive payment, I feel that that model is no longer mine, and I make every effort to have it packaged and mailed out asap--usually the same day it was sold. :dunno

And one more thing...as soon as I bought the model (which they advertised as having more than 10 of), they raised the price. I don't know what that means, if anything, but if they were able to take the time to change the listing, surely they knew they sold one, and should have mailed it out. :(

I guess maybe I'm just looking for some reassurance that I'm not being a jerk. Life has been super stressful lately, and maybe I'm overreacting. :sigh

MadHatterDA
12-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Hmmm well if it were me I wouldn't be upset that it hasn't arrived yet since the mail is crazy this time of year. I had one package sent out to me the day after Thanksgiving and it was in transit till last Saturday. It was a long shipping process for where it came from. All the mail is crazy right now.

i would be upset though that you don't hav a tracking number. It seems a decent amount of time to expect to have one by now. What is the handling time the seller lists? Honestly I work as a teacher, so I don't have time for boxes during the week, and my PO will sometime pick them up and sometimes not. I take them myself on weekends, but that does mean if someone buys something Monday they have to wait till Saturday. My wait time on my adds reflects that though. After all, my job is where the money comes from not my model sales. Lol

Anyway, I wouldn't be upset that it hasn't arrived. I would be upset that no one has said anything or given a tracking number. Ugh posting from my phone creates so many typos!

mechanicaljen
12-22-2014, 09:15 AM
I think you should certainly have a tracking #.

PixelPerfectStables
12-22-2014, 09:19 AM

:yeahthat Have they even confirmed that they have shipped (at least through eBay)? If they have, I wouldn't worry just yet, but I would be annoyed at not having the tracking #. If not, then I would definitely be annoyed.

horsefreak
12-22-2014, 09:22 AM
You’re not being a jerk. They should communicate with you and send you a tracking number.

sharonl
12-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Thanks ladies. :grouphug Jessica, you're right. I can't expect the mail to be as fast as usual this time of the year. BUT, I don't even have a shipping confirmation. I bought the model, then complete silence. Nothing. Not a word. I would feel so much better if they at least let me know it was shipped. :sigh

Gilder
12-22-2014, 09:37 AM
If you don't have shipping confirmation, register a complaint with eBay. That sounds like it will be the only way to get a rise out of the seller.

sharonl
12-22-2014, 10:19 AM
I honestly don't know how to do that Cheryl. :doh Can I do it even though it's only been two weeks? Or is it not like the Paypal thing where you have 45 days? I have to say that in all my years on Ebay as a buyer, I've only had one or two things go bad, and it's been years since it's happened. I'm afraid I'm a bit lost. :sigh

Gilder
12-22-2014, 10:29 AM
http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sc

Mary
12-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Two things are here, I think: 1) getting a tracking number; and 2) delivery time.

Delivery time - You can't move it through the shipment system any faster, it may not / probably won't arrive in time for Christmas.

Tracking number - But yes, you are entitled to a tracking number. :)

HorseshoeFarms
12-22-2014, 11:58 AM
I think the seller should have contacted you with a tracking number or at least let you know that it has shipped. I am very sorry that this happened. I hope the seller contacts you soon.

MustangGina
12-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Entering a tracking number is no big deal. If you use eBay's mobile app, it offers a scan option so when the nice folks at the post office slap that sticker on there with the bar code, I ask to scan it and BAM! Buyer has a correct tracking number. It's also on the receipt so I can enter it when I get home if, for some reason, I can't scan it off the box (has never happened). The seller certainly should have contacted you or at least updated the auction with a "Shipped" and the tracking number.

sharonl
12-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks everyone! Should I go ahead and open a dispute? It has been about two weeks without any word at all, despite two attempts on my part to get some info. :dunno

Gilder
12-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Yes, I would!

sharonl
12-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Ok. If it doesn't miraculously show up in today's mail, then I'm gonna do it! :yes

Lemmons SS
12-22-2014, 02:13 PM
It takes two seconds for the seller to respond, heck say anything. So for me, a seller not answering several emails is not ok. If they didn't track the package, then they should at least say so. There is no excuse for ignoring your buyers.

Yes, I would file a dispute. >:(

sharonl
12-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Done. :sigh

MadHatterDA
12-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Yes, I would!
Agreed

there is no reason for you to not have a tracking number by now. Hopefully it gets the seller moving a little.

RobinHoodFan
12-22-2014, 05:09 PM

:yeahthat If I don't get tracking or communcation in the time it says they will ship out, I usually email them the following day after THEIR deadline asking if it was mailed or if they kenw when it will be or if they did mail it please update with tracking. If they don't respond and no tracking# is given within a week, I would open a claim. I think you're well past that and should really open a claim at this point. There is no proof that this person even shipped it! I have no problem with POSTAL delays but if there's no tracking, to me that means they didn't ship. There's NO EXCUSE to ship something without tracking these days. Especially on Ebay....isn't tracking required for seller protection anyway? No tracking, THEY take the risk, not you. File a claim before it's too late.

Sazz
12-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Agreed with everything that has been said. One thing to also check in the future if this happens is what the seller's handling time is. Ebay LOVES to falsely advertise how quickly buyers can expect items. I have economy shipping and 3 business day handling on my listings, ebay still pretends people can expect packages in like 4 days which is obviously ridiculous since I have 3 to get out and mail them. It is really frustrating as a seller.
Now in this case, that is not what happened of course. After 2 weeks I agree it has been too long, not okay. Lack of communication is also of course not okay. I hope your model shows up soon!

RobinHoodFan
12-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Agreed with everything that has been said. One thing to also check in the future if this happens is what the seller's handling time is. Ebay LOVES to falsely advertise how quickly buyers can expect items. I have economy shipping and 3 business day handling on my listings, ebay still pretends people can expect packages in like 4 days which is obviously ridiculous since I have 3 to get out and mail them. It is really frustrating as a seller.
Now in this case, that is not what happened of course. After 2 weeks I agree it has been too long, not okay. Lack of communication is also of course not okay. I hope your model shows up soon!
:yeahthat x 1000!!! My handling I think is set to 1 day but I set my shipping method to the "economy 10+ day option" (I normally ship first class or priority, sometimes UPS so I put the max for a safety buffer) but apparently it no longer estimates the time frame of the service you select anymore. Since my "history" shows my packages arrive quickly, Ebay takes it into their hands to estimate my buyers about a 3-4 day delivery estimate no matter where you are in the country! I figured this out once when I saw the estimate for something that was to go to CA. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get someting from NY to CA within 4 days of the auction end! Especially if that auction ends in the middle of the day or late at night...grr...So even though I put a 10+ day shipping method, Ebay tells them to expect it delivered within 4 days of auction end! And that's WITH the 1 day handling I have set! So they're basically calculating a max of 3 days in transit! :grump This infuriates me to no end! What the heck is the point of putting the shipping timeframes on there if they're just going to make up their own anyway? I feel like I'm being penalized for shipping fast. :rolleyes

And here's a question, does the delivery estimate stay the same even if the buyer pays late? I have a feeling it does which is SOOO stupid it's not even funny!

Intothesunstudio
12-23-2014, 07:31 PM
I had this same sort of thing happen to me with a non model horse related purchase on ebay. I was super excited to get the item. Sent payment waited 2 weeks and no package. contacted the seller... silence. waited another week and opened a dispute. Suddenly I got refunded and the item was listed as broken/no longer available. Then the item appeared on ebay again with a higher starting bid than what I had won it for. I reported the auction and showed ebay it was the same pictures as my auction and the same item and seller. The listing disappeared and the seller is no longer on ebay. It really upset me as I wanted the item.

I hope your seller is just busy with the holidays and it slipped their mind. Keeping my fingers crossed a box shows up tomorrow!

sharonl
12-27-2014, 10:21 AM
The model arrived yesterday, packaged in nothing but a padded envelope. Thankfully, it was ok. The seller included a really nice note thanking me for my purchase, etc. I never did get any kind of response from the repeated attempts to contact her, but thankfully the horse is here. Just a weird situation all the way around. :dunno

Now--how should the feedback go? I definitely want to mention that the communication was horrible, but the model DID arrive, and in good condition. Thoughts? Neutral? Positive with a mention of the communication? :dunno

LeeAnn
12-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Neutral. Mention the communication issue and packing if you can. IIRC you can add additional comments to your feedback if you need to.

Glad the model finally arrived!

FourWindsFarm
12-27-2014, 10:58 AM
I would do one of two things:

Positive but write that communication was poor and the model was not packaged well but thankfully arrived intact.

Neutral due to lack of response to attempted communication and poor packaging.

I guess it depends on the seller-- if it's a new seller, perhaps they just didn't do their homework on what is 'expected' for ebay sellers, and may improve in the future. If it's a long-time seller with this issue being common, I give much less leeway. Regardless, I would email the seller and let her know that you tried to contact her repeatedly with no response, and that in the future, models should be packed in a sturdy box with plenty of room and a lot of bubble wrap.