PDA

View Full Version : Yellow light Stone Horses broken horse

shego
01-09-2015, 01:06 AM
One of my stone DAH arrived broken about 2 weeks ago. It is a simple break, it is a unicorn, and the horn was broken off. I wanted to send it back and just have it repaired, but stone told me to file a claim with ups instead. I opened the case promptly and it is going nowhere. UPS wants stone to fill out some form that they havnt gotten around to yet. I think its pretty darn poor that a customer who has spent 1000s on their product has to go through this hassle of filing the claim and waiting, when all I really want is my broken horse repaired. Whats worse is that ups will probably make me give them my horse to get my refund. So I will have to go through this hassle just for a refund and I wont have my ooak horse that I wont be able to reorder. A good company IMO would just fix the broken horse and make their customer happy.

Carly mahoney

Keren
01-09-2015, 09:05 AM
I know it's the principle of the thing, but if you're so worried about losing your OOAK, couldn't you fix it yourself with acetone?

Keren

shego
01-09-2015, 11:18 AM
I think it would look bad, I wouldnt be able to match the paint and gloss

carly mahoney

RobinHoodFan
01-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Wow, annoying! :grump First off, I believe THEY'RE the ones who need to file it! (As you can see by UPS needing them to fill out a form--that's the claim!). Yes, UPS will have you pack up the horse and they'll pick it up for the claim. A GOOD business would either offer a partial refund or take the horse back and replace it or refund it, period! You could try getting an estimate for repair from an artist and demanding that amount refunded and get it repaired elsewhere.

Personally I wouldn't file the claim. Make THEM file it or take the horse back for a refund/replacement. If not, then file a chargeback with your credit card.
From what I recently heard their OOAK's are not all that OOAK after all so it may be worth just cutting your losses and getting the refund.

This company is so terrible and needs a serious reality check. Everytime I hear stuff about them like this it makes me cringe. Sorry you are going through this :( I hope it works out for you in the end!

I know it's the principle of the thing, but if you're so worried about losing your OOAK, couldn't you fix it yourself with acetone?

Keren

IMO she shouldn't have to repair it herself. She PAID FOR AN UNBROKEN HORSE. She did not get what she paid for. And it sure as heck isn't worth what she paid any longer. I can see if it was a low cost horse or a breyer or something but these aren't cheap so I can understand the OP's frustration.

Sazz
01-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Wow, annoying! :grump First off, I believe THEY'RE the ones who need to file it! (As you can see by UPS needing them to fill out a form--that's the claim!). Yes, UPS will have you pack up the horse and they'll pick it up for the claim. A GOOD business would either offer a partial refund or take the horse back and replace it or refund it, period! You could try getting an estimate for repair from an artist and demanding that amount refunded and get it repaired elsewhere.

Personally I wouldn't file the claim. Make THEM file it or take the horse back for a refund/replacement. If not, then file a chargeback with your credit card.
From what I recently heard their OOAK's are not all that OOAK after all so it may be worth just cutting your losses and getting the refund.

This company is so terrible and needs a serious reality check. Everytime I hear stuff about them like this it makes me cringe. Sorry you are going through this :( I hope it works out for you in the end!

IMO she shouldn't have to repair it herself. She PAID FOR AN UNBROKEN HORSE. She did not get what she paid for. And it sure as heck isn't worth what she paid any longer. I can see if it was a low cost horse or a breyer or something but these aren't cheap so I can understand the OP's frustration.

:yeahthat:agreed
this 100%. She should not have to pay to have it repaired, she sure as heck shouldn't have to take a stab at it herself. I cannot repair a break to save my life and have it look decent, I'd be enraged if this happened to me so I get the frustration completely.

They are going to have a rough time if they think that they're off the hook for getting models to people in one piece. Someone who bought a pony from the warehouse sale had a similar issue, I hope she got her $$$ back. I really think they'll eventually stop accepting Paypal when they realize people can fight them over stuff like this and win. (Same thing with credit cards, but Paypal just makes the process easier imo and now the protection has been extended so people can actually file on their DAHs when they aren't made within 6 months now!)

I wish you luck Carly, I am sorry your guy arrived broken :(

shego
01-09-2015, 01:09 PM
I have had good luck as a seller filing claims with usps-easy to do, resolved timely, and buyer gets to keep broken item) so I opened the claim at stones reuest thinking it would go the same way. Id get a refund and get to keep my broken horse. Id glue the horn on and hed be worth much less than I paid and flawed, but still enjoyable for my display purposes. That, I now know, is not the case at all. When I discovered that I was probably not going to be able to keep the horse I asked again for a repair job but was told to "be patient, filling out the ups form takes a lot of time" Id file a claim with paypal but I have over 1000 worth of dah on order with them that I dont want to have go sour grapes. Any advise knowing my crappy situation? I dont want to cancel my DAH orders but I am robably not going to order again after this. Its really lousy.

Two Fishies
01-09-2015, 01:47 PM
:hugg

To Karen's point, you do want to use acetone to repair him rather than superglue. If it's a clean break, the break might not even show after you repair it. Also, if Stone ever gives you a partial refund at least, you can use that to pay a repair artist who will thank you profusely for not using super glue.

Having said that, I'm really shocked Stone didn't have you send him back to them for repair. They are set up to do repairs (heck, I think half the models they send out have to go back for something), so why are they leaving you holding the bag? It sucks that they will repair for some people some of the time, and tell the others to buzz off.

Mary
01-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Regardless of what needs to be done to the model ... most retailers would just have you return it, because as the poster said above, you paid for an unbroken item and that's not what happened.

Fussing around with shipping claims does not repair the model or satisfy the customer. It's unlikely that getting the $$ from the claim will pay much more than the employee time to mess with it - in fact, it may cost more than the claim is worth to the retailer. And it still leaves them with the customer problem to solve, dickering over what to do about the model itself. That's yet another cost in terms of employee time - and they still have to make the repair or do whatever ...

Most retailers would do what is both best for the customer and also the least painful and costly for themselves. They are in the model business, that is what they do the most efficiently. They would just send a new one and destroy the old one that was returned. That way the model is still an OOAK, and the retailer has followed the easiest and least costly path for themselves, and the customer is happy and ready to buy again.

And the retailer would pay for the return shipping, issue a label or something. These things happen and they are a cost of doing business. When things go wrong, the point is to secure the customer's future business. THAT"S what pays for the occasional mishaps. :)

WPDR
01-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Yup I got a broken pony about the same time. They said file a claim. I did but I need to get to the PO to show them the box and horse and such now. I just haven't got up there. I can fix the pony easily, it's just his tail. Just need to pick up acetone once the PO sees him.

VWK'sanEasyGoer
01-09-2015, 02:23 PM
While I understand that PS shipped the horse in one piece and it arrived broken and hence "technically" is in the realm of USPS, if it were my company and my decision I would probably try and fix the problem for my customer directly and make sure it was done right. Then my company would file the claim myself with USPS, rather than having my customer go through the hassle of filing a claim themselves. As a person who works for a small family run company (my husbands and father-in-law's) it's our top priority to keep our customers happy and coming back. Sometimes this is at our expense, for example if equipment arrives broken we ask them to ship it back (normally at our expense) and we repair/replace it. Costs us some $$ BUT then the long term benefit of a happy REPEAT customer far outweighs any short term expenses.

I'm sorry your Unicorn arrived broken shego and I do hope that the outcome is somehow one that you will be happy with.

shego
01-09-2015, 02:26 PM
wpdr, are you dealing with ups or usps? And I dont even mind paying the return shipping. It only costs me $5 and change for usps priority. I might call to pester them about repairing it, or pming elaine or randy through facebook. If they repair the thing Ill happily give them anything ups might give me. I dont want my money back I want my horse, but Id rather have a refund than a full price broken horse. For the acetone fix-do I just apply a bit of pure acetone like you get at the hardware store, that smells like sewage? Then put the two pieces together? Are the fumes something I need to worry about working indoors?

I sell a lot online myself and only use usps, their insurance payouts have been excellent for me thus far. In the event of a claim I file myself, and I refund my customer myself, then I give them the option of returning the item to me or assisting me with the claim (sending pictures etc) and they get to keep the broken item (usps hasnt asked for it yet)

Keren
01-09-2015, 10:48 PM
Yep, pure acetone. Just a drop on either end of the break and hold the two parts together for a minute or so. It welds the plastic back together again. As Two Fishes says, you may get an invisible repair.

Keren

Keren
01-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Most retailers would do what is both best for the customer and also the least painful and costly for themselves. They are in the model business, that is what they do the most efficiently. They would just send a new one and destroy the old one that was returned. That way the model is still an OOAK, and the retailer has followed the easiest and least costly path for themselves, and the customer is happy and ready to buy again.

And the retailer would pay for the return shipping, issue a label or something. These things happen and they are a cost of doing business. When things go wrong, the point is to secure the customer's future business. THAT"S what pays for the occasional mishaps. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but this is Stone. Business logic does not apply.

Keren

tielz
01-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Sent you a how-to PM.

Atlantalisa
01-10-2015, 06:31 AM
I sure hope someone from Stone reads these posts, and not just this one but several of the other ongoing threads. I wonder how long they can possibly remain in business.

The Snow Leopard
01-10-2015, 05:59 PM
I sure hope someone from Stone reads these posts, and not just this one but several of the other ongoing threads. I wonder how long they can possibly remain in business.
I wonder that too. Lots of people still buy from them because when they do it right, it is more high quality than Breyer. But when they do it wrong, they are just terrible to deal with. I honestly think people should just not buy from them anymore and say that they don't buy from them anymore because of their terrible service. Then they will either a) make it right because they want to stay in business or b) go out of business because they are too stubborn to have good customer service.

Mary
01-10-2015, 06:04 PM
I have to laugh - with you, not at you. People have been turning in complaints like this, and wondering "how they stay in business", for well over a decade. They haven't actually fallen over yet. :grintongue :lol

Because no. matter. what. the hobby keeps buying. It's like selling crack or heroin ... no matter how many go through withdrawal and clean up, there will always be buyers. :spacey :zow

RobinHoodFan
01-10-2015, 07:47 PM
I do see Copperfox giving Stone a good run for their money though! Those are lookin' NICE!

Shahbazin
01-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Ah, but buyers of *what*? I still buy lots of pretty horses - but not from Stone anymore. :gallop When you could get a good model for a higher end RR, or Breyer Web Special price, the OOAKs in the Conn. area of pricing, hobby artist painted OOAKs for less than an AR by that artist, that was one thing - with no surety of when, or in what condition a model will arrive, customer (non)service, & the ever spiraling up prices, I no longer collect Stones, & have just kept a few special favorites. Breyer keeps improving their game for collectors - more fabulous new molds, trying out new painting techniques, utilizing more hobby artist input, there's the new Copperfox line coming out - & there's some truly amazing OF chinas being produced, as well. I don't think Stone has as unique a product niche as they used to have. I hope that someone there does reorganize & restructure, because Stone does have a lot of neat things to offer, but unless & until they do, I've moved on to greener pastures.

I have to laugh - with you, not at you. People have been turning in complaints like this, and wondering "how they stay in business", for well over a decade. They haven't actually fallen over yet. :grintongue :lol

Because no. matter. what. the hobby keeps buying. It's like selling crack or heroin ... no matter how many go through withdrawal and clean up, there will always be buyers. :spacey :zow

Mary
01-10-2015, 09:37 PM
I do see Copperfox giving Stone a good run for their money though! Those are lookin' NICE!

I believe the market is wide open for a competitor. I know more than one hobbyist has thought seriously about this. But the cost of entering such a business is very high.

Copperfox is focusing on British breeds now, but if those take off (and based on the models I think they will) I hope they will open up their line to other breeds as well. It promises to be a very exciting venture. :)

VWK'sanEasyGoer
01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Competition in any kind of market just encourages all sellers to do better and make a better product. The model horse world, at least plastics, seems to have a HUGE market with a very small seller basis, hence the huge secondary market. I'm glad to have another player in the pot. Changes up the game big time.

NJHeart2Heart
01-16-2015, 09:53 AM
:hugg

To Karen's point, you do want to use acetone to repair him rather than superglue. If it's a clean break, the break might not even show after you repair it. Also, if Stone ever gives you a partial refund at least, you can use that to pay a repair artist who will thank you profusely for not using super glue.

Having said that, I'm really shocked Stone didn't have you send him back to them for repair. They are set up to do repairs (heck, I think half the models they send out have to go back for something), so why are they leaving you holding the bag? It sucks that they will repair for some people some of the time, and tell the others to buzz off.

oh :( I wish I had known this.. Just had to repair a model - one of my favorites... and used ... ugh.. regular glue (though not superglue)...It's not a terrible repair, but I'll never be able to show her and she was a beautiful LSQ model :( :( :(

Two Fishies
01-16-2015, 12:23 PM
If it's elmer's glue or something similar, you can soak him him water or lestoil and it'll probably peel off.