PDA

View Full Version : A Farewell Post - long but important

camaro88lover
01-16-2015, 10:10 AM
I have given this a hard thinking on whether or not I even wanted to post this. I was thinking it would just be best to sort of fade away instead and have that be it.

But I decided this morning, that I needed to post this as a final farewell – for two reasons. One reason is that I want to be able to stay in contact with the many friends I have made here on Blab. You can find me on Facebook – search for Sharon Mossy. I will also be active on other hobby sites.

The other reason is that I feel it is necessary for the Blab community to see just how much Mary has hurt supposedly valued members (both long-term and short-term members) of this community with her most recent behavior in the Classifieds post.

My subscription to Blab expires at the beginning of February. I will not be renewing my subscription.

I have been a member of Blab since December 2005, and while that wasn’t when Blab first started, it still has been just over 10 years since I joined Blab – almost one third of my life (I’ll be 33 in March) has been spent with this wonderful community.

I, along with several other members, have volunteered countless hours helping with the different activities here on Blab. I helped put on several of Blab’s own photo shows – photo shows we really can’t do on the scale we once did because the Gallery software here on Blab is so defunct and doesn’t work like it needs to. I happily, and without question or want of anything in return, donated my own website space to host the shows’ websites with the rules, classlist, etc. I happily, and without question or want of anything in return, donated hours to sorting through thousands of photos for the show.

And I’m still happy I did that by the way – I thoroughly, THOROUGHLY enjoyed helping with the photo shows here on Blab. Those “times” on Blab were some of the highlights for me. It was an absolute blast.

However, over the last couple days, many, MANY members here have had their valid questions, concerns, and complaints go unanswered and be brushed off by the very person that owns and runs Blab – Mary Hirsch. This was someone I looked up to – I would defend her. I would CHAMPION Blab at all the live shows I went to (and I go to 8+ a year on average). I would tell new showers what an AWESOME community and friendly, welcoming place Blab was and how much the owner cared about the community.

However, this is not what Blab is anymore. In the Classifieds thread (which I URGE you to read from start to finish if you haven’t yet: http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?160844-Blab-s-new-Classifieds), it has become apparent to me that Mary does NOT value the members here like I once thought she did. Soooo many members, new and old, complained about a system that was just dumped on us. We were all so used to having big decisions and changes discussed first, but not Panjo. Panjo was dumped on us with no option to not use it. And that was actually ok – whatever – it is Mary’s website and she can do what she want with it, even though, in all my 10+ years of being on Blab, we’ve normally been given a chance to discuss our concerns and suggestions FIRST…

But that’s neither here nor there. Whatever. It was implemented. People – MANY – tried Panjo, found it to not work correctly, and voiced their questions, concerns and complaints. Mary said it was just people not giving the new system time. Fine – people gave it more time. Panjo still did not work correctly. People voiced their questions, concerns and complaints again. Mary said people were just being too negative and were in the minority because people were using Panjo – lots of them (keep in mind, there was no other option BUT to use Panjo if you wanted to place a sales ad on Blab). Soooo, different people spoke up now, pretty much echoing all that was being said in some 30+ pages….and yet Mary STILL brushed it all off…not answering questions or concerns. At all. Here, you’ve got MANY valued (supposedly) members of a community loudly proclaiming a system doesn’t work, but an owner telling them, essentially, suck it up – use it or don’t use it and if you don’t like it, you can get the hell out.

During this time, a couple members were quietly being told, behind the scenes, that they need to stop complaining because they’re being so negative and spreading falsities, etc and that if they post in the thread, they risk getting banned from Blab completely (which does equate to being BANNED from the thread in my humble opinion).

At this point, members are leaving – if you read that thread from start to finish (realize that towards the end, Mary did delete some posts) – you will understand why. We are NOT leaving because we don’t like Panjo. We are leaving because we don’t like how Mary is treating supposedly valued members of a community. Our concerns were met with silence. We were brushed off and told we were the minority. Discussions were being squelched because they didn’t agree with what Mary wanted to hear. Instead of people being able to voice their opinions, they were being told that if you do, you risk getting banned from Blab entirely.

I cannot support Mary any longer. I cannot stay in a community that does not value its members’ opinions and concerns– even if they don’t agree with Mary’s. It is sad to leave – it is with a heavy heart. But I will not stand back and witness so many people being ignored and brushed aside.

Many long term members have already left and when they go, all their knowledge goes with them. We freely and happily share this information too – with no questions asked. I have learned so much from this community. But most importantly, I have made so many friends here.

If you read all of this, I thank you. If you have decided to leave Blab too – you probably already know where to find me (or hook up with me on Facebook), and if you don’t, feel free to PM me. For those of you who will remain on Blab – I wish you love and happiness. It’s been a good run for me here on Blab.

~Sharon Mossy~

jbird063
01-16-2015, 11:01 AM
:( sad to see you go

JamieD
01-16-2015, 11:05 AM
:( :cry

I'll most likely bounce back and forth between areas. I'll sure miss you here Sharon and seeing the lovely resins that you have.

:hugg

JamieD

onekindacowboy
01-16-2015, 11:55 AM
I will miss seeing your jewelry posts. It was fun to compare show notes and display ideas!

spookhorse01
01-16-2015, 12:05 PM
:clap

chopstix
01-16-2015, 12:10 PM
I'm a semi-lurker, so we've not interacted much, but I'm sorry that this has caused you to leave Blab and I'll be looking for you on FB, as I have very much enjoyed reading and viewing your posts (if not necessarily replying to them). It deeply saddens me that place that was such a wonderful community is falling apart one person at a time. The fact that so many long time and active members are leaving has me seriously considering jumping ship too, despite not having much of a dog in the fight. I have read the entirety of the classified thread and while Mary was not the only one that took an inappropriate tone, her treatment of members was not what I would expect of the head admin.

Raventyde
01-16-2015, 01:00 PM

hayfieldstables
01-16-2015, 01:02 PM
going to miss you and you gorgeous, gorgeous collection!

Beethovens7th
01-16-2015, 01:39 PM
:( :cry

I'll most likely bounce back and forth between areas. I'll sure miss you here Sharon and seeing the lovely resins that you have.

JamieD

:yeahthat
:sad

freakofnature
01-16-2015, 01:49 PM
I don't know that I'll leave Blab entirely but I too have cancelled my subscription renewal here. I am sad to see the way things have gone here in the past while. This was an awesome community but there are other places to connect with the friends I've made here. :)

DooWiki
01-16-2015, 02:33 PM
:hugg:hugg:hugg

micamoney
01-16-2015, 07:44 PM
:hugg You'll be missed, Sharon. I'll miss your incredible jewelry posts and the gorgeous models in your collection. I'll just have to stalk your Facebook even more now. ;)

Somethingroyal
01-16-2015, 08:50 PM
:(

horsefreak
01-16-2015, 08:55 PM
:sad

VWK'sanEasyGoer
01-16-2015, 09:02 PM
I hear what you are saying. I am sorry you are going. :(

Miss Twist
01-16-2015, 09:09 PM
This is all so sad, I know we haven't talked, but I lurk lots, and I always loved to see pictures of your collection. I'm sorry I didn't take the time to get to know you better before you left.

Shaheen
01-17-2015, 12:29 AM
Sharon, I'm sad to see you go. :sad I totally understand though. I've said this in a couple of other posts that people who are leaving have written, but I don't understand this radio silence that is going on right now. Mary needs to speak up and stop the madness. If there is a contract with Panjo, fine, let us know. At least then people will feel like they matter enough to be told. If she is waiting for this to blow over and go away, I don't know if that will happen, or how many will be left by then. My sub is due to renew soon, and I will need to make a decision. I have enjoyed the tack thread for a few years, but many tack makers have left due to various reasons, probably Facebook, and at least one is thinking about leaving now over what's going on. Postings in the tack room have dwindled a lot over the past two years, and I'm beginning to wonder how many will be left to interact with.
I guess I don't understand how keeping your cards close to your vest is worth losing so many term members over.

TheArchives
01-17-2015, 09:52 AM
revolution?

paintedsky
01-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Nooooooo! FL is falling apart too...

KayQue
01-17-2015, 10:47 AM
This makes me so sad :(

Jodi
01-17-2015, 11:43 AM
:( I am so sad to see you go, although we haven't really spoken, I love seeing photos of your lovely collection, they are incredible! Will add you on FB.

I have recently renewed, but stayed out of the panjo discussion as I haven't used it - the whole system has turned me off of using blab's sales. I only really pay any attention to the resins and the tack thread, but am increasingly getting updated with the resins in other places anyway, if Blab carries on this way I may not renew again either. That's not a threat at all, just my feelings.

marabella15
01-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Sad to see you go, :( but we will still catch up at live shows and on FB.

Eviejean
01-17-2015, 03:49 PM
This is all so sad, I know we haven't talked, but I lurk lots, and I always loved to see pictures of your collection. I'm sorry I didn't take the time to get to know you better before you left.

:yeahthat

BaitandSwitch
01-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Sharon, I learned of all of this nonsense through your Facebook...and I thank you for the information. I just spent 2 hours catching up on that thread and wow, what a joke. Since this has obviously become just a money making venture for Mary, I'll happily be over on the other forum and stay active in the Facebook Groups which have way more members are are FREE. I don't understand who anyone would still want to stay here lining Mary's pockets at $18 a year when she couldn't care less about your thoughts, opinions or feelings (blocking members of over 10 years because they were calling out her poor behavior), but to each his/her own. I certainly wish everyone who stays well and we will always have room for you over on the Free sites, where we behave like adults with manners :) Dottie Miller

PineRidgeStables
01-17-2015, 07:30 PM
It's sad to see so many people leaving, but I completely understand why. I'm sticking around for the time being, but we'll see what happens when my sub expires in a couple months. Anyway, I wish you the best, and look forward (as always) to seeing your beautiful resins at some shows later this year. :hugg