PDA

View Full Version : Feedback, please, Blab mobile users - new mobile feature testing for Blab

Mary
01-25-2015, 04:16 PM
It's not implemented on the active forum site yet ...

We've been working on this mobile header for Blab, but it's not quite right yet. I am only able to see it on iPhone 6, don't have the other mobile devices or a tablet.

Volunteers to test - please try it out on your mobile device and/or tablet and post here to let us know what you find!

What still needs fixing on your view? - Spacing, images, layout ...
Did you try the three-line menu link in the upper right?
All the links may not yet be working when you try it.

Here's the bitly link to the test (again, this is not the "real" Blab, it's a test version) ...

http://bit.ly/1BaeOeU

The test forum version has some lavender color to distinguish it from the active live version.
The test forum does not have all the content from the live forum.

Thank you so much! :tiphat

FYI ...

Once implemented, on a mobile or tablet this will be the default header view. You'll be able to switch to the regular header if you prefer.
Accessing through a computer/laptop will be almost the same header. It should size a bit better to different screens.
Only the header/top navigation is mobile-ized. The rest of the forum is in the same format/layout on mobile/tablet.

emt8134
01-25-2015, 04:36 PM
I have an htc EVO 4g LTE and its fine! (Android).

IeshaLover
01-25-2015, 04:37 PM
I just tried it on my iPhone 5s. It didn't really work, layout wise. It loaded to a portion of the screen, and then I had to scroll over (to the right) to view the whole thing. Things are a bit jumbled, and I suck at explaining things so I have included a few screen shots.

I also clicked on the "Announcements" and it came up a bit different, but that might be because it's not live/active Blab?

How it first loaded.

After scrolling over to the right.

It doesn't all fit on my screen, I have to scroll side to side to see it all.

Things are a little bit jumbled.

Hope this is what you were looking for. :)

Lupineleigh
01-25-2015, 04:38 PM
All of the headers worked fine with my iPad 3. Spacing seems okay. The forum topic headers are closer together than I'm used to, but they're legible. I attempted to log in to see if that would change the look of the forum, but when I entered my username, I could only view half of it in the box. When I went to type my password, the word "Password" remained and I had to delete it to re-enter my password (which I entered incorrectly. Of course... Lol. I'll have to look it up to remind myself what it is). That's all the feedback I can offer for now. :)

ElreniaGreenleaf
01-25-2015, 04:52 PM
I just tried it on my iPhone 5s. It didn't really work, layout wise. It loaded to a portion of the screen, and then I had to scroll over (to the right) to view the whole thing. Things are a bit jumbled, and I suck at explaining things so I have included a few screen shots.

I also clicked on the "Announcements" and it came up a bit different, but that might be because it's not live/active Blab?

How it first loaded.

After scrolling over to the right.

It doesn't all fit on my screen, I have to scroll side to side to see it all.

Things are a little bit jumbled.

Hope this is what you were looking for. :)

Same here. I really dislike mobile versions and this one is no exception so I'll definitely be using the desktop view.

IeshaLover
01-25-2015, 05:02 PM
I usually really like mobile versions of sites, as long as I can do everything I can do normally on my computer. I think this just needs a bit more tweaking, and it will be very useful. It does seem to work on newer version of phones and iPads, but I have an older iPad and a 5s iPhone.

Miss Susan
01-25-2015, 05:40 PM
It's a bit squished on my phone too. I have a pay as you go android I think. :uh

Brenda
01-25-2015, 07:44 PM
I tested it on my Samsung Galaxy 4 tablet and everything fit the screen nicely. The layout looks good, similar to the full site. I can't remember my password to log in so I don't know if that affected it or if it's not something on the test site but I was unable to access "today's posts" through the Quick Links drop down menu. I use that feature a ton so being able to do that would be a huge deal for me.

Mary
01-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Yeah I don't think the member data was copied over ... I'll see if we can get that done.

There will be a test on Blab before it's truly implemented.

I'm glad to hear it's partly working! :grin Will pass that along!

I'm having some of the same things on my iPhone. Not fitting.

Brenda
01-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Cool. I look forward to seeing it in full use. I generally don't like mobile versions of websites, but it looks like the Blab one is very similar to the full one and that's a plus. :D

eman
01-25-2015, 09:48 PM
I tried it on my iPhone 5s also, it looks the same as posted above. I'll add that when I turned the phone to view in landscape mode it looked a lot better and less squashed, although the "Remember Me?" button and text are still obscuring the MHB logo on the top left.

Mary
01-26-2015, 09:52 AM
Cool. I look forward to seeing it in full use. I generally don't like mobile versions of websites, but it looks like the Blab one is very similar to the full one and that's a plus. :D

I have especially not liked "fully mobile" versions of forum sites. IMO forums are usually better left as is ... other than that, with larger forum layouts, the navigation can be a trial that way.

There is a "fully mobile" version of the Blab software, but I've looked at it thoroughly and it's terrible for Blab purposes. Won't be using it.

At this time, for current devices, ONLY the header & navigation will be "mobile-ized". Just to make the spacing/formatting/navigation easier. And people will be able to switch it off and go with the regular Blab header, if they prefer.

Generally speaking, larger devices from the tablet down to the new iPhone 6 don't really need much help with many forums.

The Blab test version links aren't working yet, concentrating on the layout first, and it's tough when I don't own all of the most common devices. :lol Definitely appreciate the feedback, and I'll update again when we have a new test version, hopefully in a couple of days. Would like to have this project completed. :)

Truson
01-26-2015, 11:57 AM
I HATE the mobile version of any website. Ebay drives me crazy by trying to switch to it even after I have hit the Classic Site link. PLEASE do not make this the only option for a mobile user because I for one will not use it.

Yes, I did look at it, but I'm not testing any links...it drove my eyes nuts. Regular Blab works just fine on my phone.

Mary
01-26-2015, 08:00 PM
I HATE the mobile version of any website. Ebay drives me crazy by trying to switch to it even after I have hit the Classic Site link. PLEASE do not make this the only option for a mobile user because I for one will not use it.

Yes, I did look at it, but I'm not testing any links...it drove my eyes nuts. Regular Blab works just fine on my phone.

Yes, that's why it WILL be optional. Most forums are working well as is on other devices. Interestingly, while the earlier mobile phones needed sites that worked in smaller spaces, now they are moving even faster to sizes & formats that make those adjustments unnecessary for a lot of people. All we are looking to do for Blab is make the header navigation easier, as those links can be microscopic on a device.

Blab will not go to the "full" mobile format (an app) that is available from the company that provides this software, as it is available now (and maybe not ever). Anyone can search for the vBulletin forum app to see an example. And, share your opinion. My opinion: Truly Awful! :lol

Sandy A.
01-26-2015, 08:41 PM
I checked on my phone - Samsung Galaxy Note3 - and it works fine. It does look better in landscape mode, but then, I use that mode for most surfing I do on my phone -- and if I have Blab on the phone. (It probably helps that I have one of the larger phones.)

timberwolf
01-27-2015, 08:12 AM
I tried it on my Sony Z1 Compact with the same results as pictured above. I tried it using Opera Mini, Opera Mobile and Google browsers just to see - all the same.

NoLineFarm
01-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Landscape view on my Kindle looks fine but turn it and although it all fits, it is super tiny and needs to be enlarged to read. Maybe that is normal for mobile. Landscape looks good though.

Truson
01-30-2015, 11:42 PM
Okay, I'm on my phone and the forum is all smashed together...can't pinch it in or out on the screen...it wasn't like this earlier. What is going on?

onekindacowboy
01-31-2015, 12:07 AM
I was switched to mobile view automatically. I hope I won't have to always change back when I open blab on my phone.

onekindacowboy
01-31-2015, 12:08 AM
Go to the bottom and choose blab blue instead of mobile.

Truson
01-31-2015, 12:27 AM
Thanks!!! I have no idea how that happened!

onekindacowboy
01-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Mine did the same thing about the same time last night. Apparently we are supposed to be using the mobile view. Another case of "technology knows best" I suppose LOL

Mary
01-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Mine did the same thing about the same time last night. Apparently we are supposed to be using the mobile view. Another case of "technology knows best" I suppose LOL

Actually no, that wasn't the intent ... just logged on today to find this out.

I'll deactivate! (It's supposed to be an opt-in and I haven't even given the mobile link yet ... :lol )

Mary
01-31-2015, 10:08 PM
I'm merging this thread with the mobile test thread ...

If someone has time to check ...

is this (test version) (no log in option)
http://bit.ly/167Q3Y7

working the same as this? (mobile header attached to live Blab)
http://bit.ly/1yh6EAw

Live Blab just above - are you able to log in? Are the links in the 3-line menu working?
FYI, there is no middle section - it shows the logo on the left and the banners on the right.

On the live site, you can reset back to "regular" Blab header either by scrolling to the bottom and selecting Blab Blue from the dropdown, or with this link.
http://bit.ly/16dxHG9

Mary
01-31-2015, 10:14 PM
I was switched to mobile view automatically. I hope I won't have to always change back when I open blab on my phone.

Not sure why it is doing this as the coding is done to make them separate. You should be able to bookmark the link as either the "regular" header or the mobile header, and it should always open as that.

I've deactivated the mobile on Real Blab. The coding is still there, but it's not "selectable" by members. Is it still defaulting to mobile header on your mobile phone? If so, I'll remove the mobile code until we get the details sorted out.

onekindacowboy
02-01-2015, 01:04 AM
I have been logged in on my phone all day and it has not reverted back to the mobile view. I am using Dolphin on an android. I often use chrome as well. I will log out and see what it does when I log in anew on both browsers.

onekindacowboy
02-01-2015, 01:05 AM
And last night I was on it off and on again and it did not revert. I was signed it but I was closing the browsers.

Truson
02-01-2015, 01:14 AM
I've stayed logged in. I don't use the mobile version of any site.

onekindacowboy
02-01-2015, 01:23 AM
Just logged out on chrome on android. Typed in address and relogged in. Stayed non mobile the entire time.

onekindacowboy
02-01-2015, 01:29 AM
I selected the test version from the drop down. It is working well on my phone but I like to search by unread posts so I stick to the full site.

onekindacowboy
02-01-2015, 01:32 AM
Actually no, that wasn't the intent ... just logged on today to find this out.

I'll deactivate! (It's supposed to be an opt-in and I haven't even given the mobile link yet ... :lol )

I just meant that often sites choose for you initially.

Mary
02-01-2015, 10:55 AM
I just meant that often sites choose for you initially.

Yes, they do.

I think with Blab the much better option is to offer links, not to default. Allow members to bookmark the version they want to use on mobile/tablet.

The thing with having one header version with a default that comes up based on the device is that, even with a link to switch the view, some devices don't adjust to show you your choice each time you go to the site. That is, the cookie (really the url bookmark) isn't specific to what you selected, so the default comes up every time and the user has to switch.

That is NOT the way to go with Blab. Some people won't care to use the mobile version, ever. Especially as phones become larger. Other people will appreciate the mobile-version navigation, once all the fine-tuning is done.

So, what we will end up with are different url's for the mobile header vs regular header. Whatever you bookmark on your device is what you'll get, with the option to switch.

And btw it is sometimes hard for me to test once Blab has recognized my device/laptop as having an admin login. Even when I switch to my test id's, the system sees that flag. That shouldn't be a problem on mobile BUT I only have one mobile device, so I can't test the others. :grin