PDA

View Full Version : New 3D Printing Service (within our hobby!)

Kelly
02-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that I'm now offering a 3D printing service, it's very new but I have taken a bit of a learning curve to understand its foibles and how to get the best from it so feel confident offering it as a service to fellow traditional and digital sculptors.

I am currently producing a model that is actually the opposite of my intended use of the printer - I'm "megafying" a model from a mini to a traditional scale model. Here is a photo of my progress so far, it features Night Heather; the Fell pony mare mini I released recently (the grey model in the photo is the original sculpture). I had it laser scanned and reworked the scanned data digitally, and I am now printing her off in hollow sections due to the large size. My plan is to release her as a traditional scale resin soon. I believe this is a hobby first, I don't think anyone else has "megafied" a model before.

As you can see, I also printed a Micro-Mini version of her, it's not at the highest print resolution so I will wait until I have a super-high resolution one to share close-ups with you. The large model has been printed at a medium resolution too as the print-time was so long, but her details are perfectly good for my purposes.

I am hoping to keep my prices comparable with other online 3D printing services with this level of detail, but as I am able to offer the scanning at a very competitive price, and editing services too, I'd like to think that I am able to offer a complete start-to-finish service for sculpting artists looking to have variations of their models created.

My printer is an SLA one, it uses a laser to set liquid resin with frightening accuracy. Whilst prints will require a little post-print smoothing to prepare for casting it has the highest accuracy level currently available from online 3D print providers, so any work needed will be minimal.

As I've been printing BIG I have no photos of a standard sized mini print to share yet, I will add these as soon as I have some, showing the level of detail that can be expected. As I am still relatively new I will be offering very good prices for my first projects, so if you are interested in working with me I'd love to hear from you.

ElreniaGreenleaf
02-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Oooooh, I wondered if this was your plan! I don't have any 3D stuff I need printed but if and when I do, you'll be my first stop! :D

akwidman
02-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Emilia.....MINI HERITAGE??!!!! :toothy

Mary
02-04-2015, 02:33 PM
The first wave! :clap :wave

I think 3D printing is coming for the hobby, as did resin casting services ... good luck with this, Kelly! :tiphat :party

redsixwing
02-04-2015, 03:37 PM

MINI BACCHUS!? :randommil:randommil:randommil

rocket
02-04-2015, 08:00 PM
That is super! I was hoping some hobbyist would offer up and start some companies.

TheArchives
02-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Even the model horse hobby is going digital.

Eleda
02-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Good luck with your business! We're in a very exciting time for the hobby. This is a great service at the perfect time. I hope you do well.

tibbi
02-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Pretty exciting. I love that you went from mini to trad. It just needed to be done. Really shows the possibilities with the technology.

gallupinhorses
02-05-2015, 07:14 AM

:bouncysnoman

Yes, yes!

KyEquineCreations
02-09-2015, 11:46 PM
Hey Kelly. I've been trying to PM you but your inbox is full. :)

Kelly
02-10-2015, 02:27 AM
Really sorry about that, I got the notification about the inbox being full overnight, I've emptied it out now so if I could ask you to re-send, it should come through just fine :)