PDA

View Full Version : RED LIGHT - eBay user photo thefts - hawgwild1018

idyourbreyer
03-29-2015, 04:56 PM
I think I've posted this before, but the eBay seller hawgwild1018 is still using the same photos stolen from my site in their auctions. I count four auctions at the moment. I would suggest that collectors look at the other "in hand" photos as well, as the backgrounds on these look pretty familiar. I have contacted them and eBay about these in the past. Guess I'll try phoning eBay. Buyer definitely beware!

The auctions are:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230852979831?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330796086252?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330785987484?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330785906948?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Janice Cox

Miss Susan
03-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Thanks Janice. And I'm really sorry this continues to be a problem for you. :hugg

juliacodeman
03-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Totally NOT COOL!!! :somad

Brenda
03-29-2015, 09:54 PM
That sucks! And all ove the auctions for models have just the one picture...how many people buy models where only one picture is available ?

onekindacowboy
03-29-2015, 10:41 PM
I was going to report the auctions as well. But it doesn't really give me the option unless I claim I own the photos.

idyourbreyer
03-29-2015, 11:03 PM
I was going to report the auctions as well. But it doesn't really give me the option unless I claim I own the photos.

There is an option to report the auction as a fraudulent listing. eBay says "When selling a used, refurbished, or flawed item, you must include photos of the actual item for sale instead of a stock photo." You can report a listing by hitting the "Report Item" on the right hand side where the description starts. It's reported as Listing Practices-Fraudulent Listing Activities-You suspect that a listing is fraudulent. There's no space for explaining WHY the listing is fraudulent, however. I've reported all of the current theft auctions that have been discussed after first contacting the sellers.

:gaah This stress is making me crazy.

Janice Cox

onekindacowboy
03-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Yep I figured that out and did it on the Sgt Pepper. I will do the others later

Melinda
03-29-2015, 11:13 PM
This seller used my pictures some time ago and either ebay made them change it or my rather nasty message did. I think every one of their photos are stolen.

Mary
03-30-2015, 10:57 AM
Those are beautiful photos. Yes, it looks as if that is the individual model one is buying - it isn't noted it's not the item being sold. If I were in the market for those models I would absolutely want the ones the seller is showing (at the right price, of course).

I imagine that in addition to Janice's stress, there will be some unhappy buyers as well when they see the real models, whatever condition they are in. I would think ebay would be anxious to be rid of a seller that could cause them so many issues.

I did a search and didn't find hawgwild1018 in any other Blab thread. Keep letting us know when this comes up, Janice, and once a few reports are posted I can link them in the Be Aware sub-forum of TTB.

Definitely the photo-marking project is needed for you! I am so sorry you are having to deal with this, Janice!

idyourbreyer
03-30-2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks Mary! The other set of auctions, listed in a thread in Original Finish, have been removed. The auctions in this thread have not, but now I have hope. Maybe it just takes a village of complainers to get anything done with eBay??

And yes, the photo copyrighting continues. Honestly, the fact that these (insert your favorite expletive here) people are using my site photos to deceive bidders bothers me more than the theft itself.

Mary
04-01-2015, 11:10 AM
And yes, the photo copyrighting continues. Honestly, the fact that these (insert your favorite expletive here) people are using my site photos to deceive bidders bothers me more than the theft itself.

It's sort of a backhanded compliment as well. :uh

idyourbreyer
05-24-2015, 12:30 AM
An update on this seller...

Despite reporting the auctions multiple times the auctions using my photos are still up as 30 day listings. Tonight I got fed up and, once I figured out how to find it, called eBay and made my complaint personally. I walked through how to find the photos on my site and compare them to the eBay listings with a super nice eBay lady, and she tells me that the offending listings will come down soon. It doesn't sound like one complaint (or complaints from one time period/person) are enough to close an account, but I have my hopes. :grin

So I strongly encourage anyone else having similar problems to forgo the form and just call.

Janice Cox

Eviejean
05-24-2015, 07:20 PM
That's great Janice.

And if eBay doesn't take down the offending listings in a reasonable time frame, I would contact them again!

idyourbreyer
05-28-2015, 05:56 PM
That's great Janice.

And if eBay doesn't take down the offending listings in a reasonable time frame, I would contact them again!

And that's exactly what I've had to do :sigh

I made my first call on Saturday and it looked like things were going to be fixed. By Wednesday (5/27/15) the auctions hadn't been removed so I called eBay to check on them. It took 30 minutes but they finally admitted that they had LOST that report. They had no record of me even calling! I grumped and fussed and finally was told that I needed to report it to their VeRO department. VeRO deals with intellectual property violations, and was what I'd been avoiding since I don't technically "own" most of the photos. Sure enough, when I called back today that's exactly what the VeRO rep told me. He then went on to say that I had no recourse at all, and when I quoted their "Images and Text" policy he pretty much said "thanks for quoting our policy to me." When I told him I wasn't getting off the phone even if it meant going all the way to their president he finally transferred me to their Listing Dept, which is where I should have been all along.

Apparently this is how it works: an auction is reported to eBay as fraud and their software then analyzes the auction photos and compares them to photos found on the Internet. How the software does this or how long it takes is beyond me. Anyway, since their policy is that sellers can't use photos and text copied from websites you don't have to be the owner of the intellectual property in order to file a valid report, despite what the VeRO guy told me. If any of the seller's auctions are found to have violated eBay's policies then the auctions are taken down. He assured me that even if the auctions had ended by the time the report was finished that the seller would be penalized. This is great, but what about the bidder? Guess they have to file a report of their own if the item isn't what they were led to expect!

I asked this Listings guy how to report future sellers and he said to go ahead and call and ask for the Listing Department. The main eBay CS number is (866) 540-3229. If you see any kind of similar violation in the future that's how I would file it. If it's one of my site's photos you're welcome to file the report yourself or drop me a line and I'll do it. I trust eBay not at all, so be sure you get the name of the person you spoke to and a case number before you hang up!

Janice Cox

Brenda
05-28-2015, 07:26 PM
I just don't understand why people insist on doing this! I did a search on ebay yesterday or the day before on Totilas. There were, I think, 35 listings and of those 35...only about 5 or 6 were legitimate pictures and the rest were taken from Breyer or other sales websites. I emailed one of the sellers and asked if they had any actual photos because I wanted to see the model I was considering bidding on, but they never responded. Big surprise

Mary
05-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Good for you, Janice !!! :clap :clap :clap

The thing is, what happens with people who don't even know how to have the kind of persistence that you do? Who believe things told to them by eBay employees who don't know what they are talking about?

Well, I am so glad you found this information and at least a few eBay abuses are being corrected.

juliacodeman
05-28-2015, 08:48 PM
I've noticed people are using the pictures and TEXT from identifyyourbreyer on facebook's breyers for sale site. Often. Even with the watermark on it that says who the photo belongs to...

idyourbreyer
06-01-2015, 04:02 PM
I've noticed people are using the pictures and TEXT from identifyyourbreyer on facebook's breyers for sale site. Often. Even with the watermark on it that says who the photo belongs to...

Doesn't surprise me. :somad At least with the copyright info on the photos the buyer may realize that the photo isn't of the seller's horse. I see text copied word for word on eBay, too. On eBay at least I could report them for the copied text, but honestly it's just too much of a bother.

Janice

idyourbreyer
07-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Here it is, going on two months later, and there's been no action from eBay on this seller. :sigh When I spoke to an eBay rep regarding another case she said it can take "a while" and didn't seem surprised when I told her it had been more than six weeks. To me it looks like eBay doesn't have enough staff and resources to review complaints in a timely manner, leading to them effectively not being reviewed at all.

:gaah

However...one of the photos in this seller's current auctions was taken by me personally, making it possible to file a copyright infringement claim. Today I did this with one of this seller's auctions and two of another's. It's kind of a pain--I have no printer or fax and so must take the paperwork to an office supply company--but I think it's now worth the time and money.

The one good thing that's come from this is that now that all images have copyright notices I've seen a decrease in the number of people trying to present site photos as theirs. For the rest, even if I don't catch them and report it it's clear that the photos weren't taken by them. It's free advertising, sort of. :grin

If I ever get resolution to this case I'll let you know.

Janice Cox

Ponygirl
07-23-2015, 07:03 AM
And that's exactly what I've had to do :sigh

I made my first call on Saturday and it looked like things were going to be fixed. By Wednesday (5/27/15) the auctions hadn't been removed so I called eBay to check on them. It took 30 minutes but they finally admitted that they had LOST that report. They had no record of me even calling! I grumped and fussed and finally was told that I needed to report it to their VeRO department. VeRO deals with intellectual property violations, and was what I'd been avoiding since I don't technically "own" most of the photos. Sure enough, when I called back today that's exactly what the VeRO rep told me. He then went on to say that I had no recourse at all, and when I quoted their "Images and Text" policy he pretty much said "thanks for quoting our policy to me." When I told him I wasn't getting off the phone even if it meant going all the way to their president he finally transferred me to their Listing Dept, which is where I should have been all along.

Apparently this is how it works: an auction is reported to eBay as fraud and their software then analyzes the auction photos and compares them to photos found on the Internet. How the software does this or how long it takes is beyond me. Anyway, since their policy is that sellers can't use photos and text copied from websites you don't have to be the owner of the intellectual property in order to file a valid report, despite what the VeRO guy told me. If any of the seller's auctions are found to have violated eBay's policies then the auctions are taken down. He assured me that even if the auctions had ended by the time the report was finished that the seller would be penalized. This is great, but what about the bidder? Guess they have to file a report of their own if the item isn't what they were led to expect!

I asked this Listings guy how to report future sellers and he said to go ahead and call and ask for the Listing Department. The main eBay CS number is (866) 540-3229. If you see any kind of similar violation in the future that's how I would file it. If it's one of my site's photos you're welcome to file the report yourself or drop me a line and I'll do it. I trust eBay not at all, so be sure you get the name of the person you spoke to and a case number before you hang up!

Janice Cox

This post should really be copied and stickied to the top of this forum. It's really terrible that you have to go through all this! I hate it when sellers misrepresent their items on eBay. UGH.

idyourbreyer
07-27-2015, 02:44 PM
This post should really be copied and stickied to the top of this forum. It's really terrible that you have to go through all this! I hate it when sellers misrepresent their items on eBay. UGH.

Mary and I talked about it, but until there's a resolution it seems a little premature to talk about "the way to get it done."

BUT...that's no longer a problem. I was able to file a copyright infringement claim against all of this seller's auctions with my stolen photos and they are now GONE. :bananadance I do see a couple of more studio-type photos on this seller's Breyer auctions, so anyone who's interested might want to take a gander and see if any are yours.

While the "fraudulent listing" thing mentioned earlier in this thread may eventually work, if the photo in question is yours I strong recommend going through eBay's VeRO program instead. I decided that the copyright notice I post that covers all original material on the site will cover my right to claim copyright for that specific, copyright-marked photo. From now on all I'll need to is contact eBay when I see a listing with stolen photos and they'll remove it within 48 hours. Whew!

Obviously the VeRO program can be abused, but for legitimate claims like this it can't be beat.

Eviejean
07-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Mary and I talked about it, but until there's a resolution it seems a little premature to talk about "the way to get it done."

BUT...that's no longer a problem. I was able to file a copyright infringement claim against all of this seller's auctions with my stolen photos and they are now GONE. :bananadance I do see a couple of more studio-type photos on this seller's Breyer auctions, so anyone who's interested might want to take a gander and see if any are yours.

While the "fraudulent listing" thing mentioned earlier in this thread may eventually work, if the photo in question is yours I strong recommend going through eBay's VeRO program instead. I decided that the copyright notice I post that covers all original material on the site will cover my right to claim copyright for that specific, copyright-marked photo. From now on all I'll need to is contact eBay when I see a listing with stolen photos and they'll remove it within 48 hours. Whew!

Obviously the VeRO program can be abused, but for legitimate claims like this it can't be beat.

(bolded by me)
:woot
I'm SO glad your perseverance has paid off!

Mary
07-27-2015, 06:22 PM
I agree we need to make Janice's discoveries on protecting your photos easily available. If the eBay VeRO program is the way to go, we'll share that. Janice and I will talk more ... :5fam

PSAfanatic
07-28-2015, 01:28 PM
So sorry you have to deal with this.Make ebay kick her butt!!:hairfire:explode

Breyer Fire
07-28-2015, 04:53 PM
It always amazes me how much effort some people will put into doing the wrong thing ( like stealing photos...constantly ) when doing the right thing is so easy. :dunno

juliacodeman
06-18-2016, 09:20 PM
This seller is at it again-taking someone else's photos...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breyer-700900-Leahs-Fancy-Chick-2000-Breyerfest-/230852692571?fromMakeTrack=true