PDA

View Full Version : German postal system - issues at present?

Tocovya
03-28-2015, 08:51 AM
[mod note: This post was moved into a new thread from another thread, along with the replies, as it was not on topic in the other thread (in TTB). We do not normally moderate topic drift but in this case it is a separate TTB topic.]

Are there problems with the German post system???
I posted a horse there from the UK on the 2nd of March, it had not arrived on the 9th of March so the buyer opened a claim against me for non receipt of item.
As of yesterday the tracking info says the horse is in Germany waiting to be delivered. Unsure of what that means but it looks like I have lost my money and the horse!

Lora
03-28-2015, 03:37 PM
A friend of mine said that there is some sort of strike at the german post but i don't know the details not living there myself

Ulla Harneit

saddlebredlover
03-30-2015, 03:37 AM
Are there problems with the German post system???
I posted a horse there from the UK on the 2nd of March, it had not arrived on the 9th of March so the buyer opened a claim against me for non receipt of item.
As of yesterday the tracking info says the horse is in Germany waiting to be delivered. Unsure of what that means but it looks like I have lost my money and the horse!

I would think that if you could show proof the item was mailed 2nd March, they would not be able to refund them the money. It's not your fault that the German postal system has issues. Don't let them refund the money since the horse is still in transit. Also, tell them you believe there is a strike or problem with the German postal system. It would not be fair for them to refund at this time. Also, 7 days is not long enough for a package to arrive, so I think they were jumping the gun a bit, there.

Deidre Rogers

Mary
03-30-2015, 10:49 AM
I understand the buyer doesn't want to risk being out the money & the model in case there are shenanigans on the seller's side that are "hiding" under the postal strike issues. But yes, that is rather rough on a good seller!

Presumably the package will be delivered, it is just being delayed. Is that correct?

I would give the buyer the benefit of the doubt and communicate with the assumption that they will come through honorably, even if they are understandably worried. With a courteous tone I would hope the buyer would agree to pay as soon as they have the model in hand.

Tocovya
03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
I always leave the payments in my Paypal account until the horse arrives safe in its new home, as with a previous sale to Germany a horse arrived broke so I refunded a 1/4 of the purchase price. So she will get all her money back, it is still being held at the moment by Paypal as she has not responded to the case, after I supplied the tracking number. Paypal have informed me today via a telephone call that as I cannot prove the item "was delivered" it is very likely I will lose the case, and of course I cant do that. I must say it took me a long time to see the case against me as I have trouble logging into Hotmail so don't look very often. I don't work with computer access and do shift work so I understand "slow responding"
Not sure what else I can do, feel a bit sad.
I sold the beautiful horse at body price to pay off debts, and its backfired. I now know that I will never sell another horse again unless it is collected in person! I will certainly never send overseas again. The last 3 transaction I had were to Germany and only 1 went without a hitch.

Avalon99
03-30-2015, 02:23 PM
Opening a case after only 7 days seems pretty unreasonable to me - especially since Paypal gives the buyer 45 days to make a claim. The buyer could easily wait another week or so and still have lots of time to make a claim if necessary. I'm in Canada and it can take 3 to 4 weeks for something to arrive from the US (I know UK to Germany isn't as far in terms of distance, but still...). Plus, things can often get hung up in Customs. Personally, I never do anything until 3 weeks have gone by, and then I first ask the seller to confirm their shipping date and transaction number. I've had a few sellers who were more panicked about the long delivery time than I was. Never panic until day 30, is my motto.

I hope this works out for you. Sadly, it's buyers like this who make it difficult for all international buyers. The more people who (understandably) refuse to ship International, the more depressing it is for the rest of us.

Lora
03-30-2015, 03:04 PM
There are no custom fees between UK and Germany and most of the time it takes about a week between Germany & UK but i had parcel taking 4 weeks from UK to Germany , it took 12 days to travel in England alone...

Ulla Harneit

saddlebredlover
03-30-2015, 04:12 PM
I always leave the payments in my Paypal account until the horse arrives safe in its new home, as with a previous sale to Germany a horse arrived broke so I refunded a 1/4 of the purchase price. So she will get all her money back, it is still being held at the moment by Paypal as she has not responded to the case, after I supplied the tracking number. Paypal have informed me today via a telephone call that as I cannot prove the item "was delivered" it is very likely I will lose the case, and of course I cant do that. I must say it took me a long time to see the case against me as I have trouble logging into Hotmail so don't look very often. I don't work with computer access and do shift work so I understand "slow responding"
Not sure what else I can do, feel a bit sad.
I sold the beautiful horse at body price to pay off debts, and its backfired. I now know that I will never sell another horse again unless it is collected in person! I will certainly never send overseas again. The last 3 transaction I had were to Germany and only 1 went without a hitch.

Well, of course you cannot prove the item "was delivered" if the German post is on strike and aren't delivering anything!! The fact that the tracking shows it in Germany to be delivered should count for something! You cannot have control of the package after the postal system gets their hands on it! I think PayPal is asking for a bit much, but I guess since eBay and PayPal are so "the customer is ALWAYS right, and if the seller loses out, so what?" then I shouldn't be all that surprised....

RobinHoodFan
03-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Opening a case after only 7 days seems pretty unreasonable to me - especially since Paypal gives the buyer 45 days to make a claim. The buyer could easily wait another week or so and still have lots of time to make a claim if necessary. I'm in Canada and it can take 3 to 4 weeks for something to arrive from the US (I know UK to Germany isn't as far in terms of distance, but still...). Plus, things can often get hung up in Customs. Personally, I never do anything until 3 weeks have gone by, and then I first ask the seller to confirm their shipping date and transaction number. I've had a few sellers who were more panicked about the long delivery time than I was. Never panic until day 30, is my motto.

I hope this works out for you. Sadly, it's buyers like this who make it difficult for all international buyers. The more people who (understandably) refuse to ship International, the more depressing it is for the rest of us.

Actually Paypal now gives 180 days to file a claim. Filing a claim in 7 days is rediculous if you ask me...even for domestic mail!! The item has clearly been shipped according to tracking. So sorry you have to go through this..but that buyer totally and wrongfully jumped the gun.

Tocovya
03-31-2015, 02:52 AM
https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item

rn039415975gb

This is the tracking number and the site address to check it on. An attempt was made to deliver on the 9th of March and lots of stuff has happened since then. I have no idea what force Majeour means????
I am going to ring Paypal again

Lora
03-31-2015, 03:19 AM
To me it sounds like the german post / DHL made a delivery attempt and the buyer was not at home. That means the post office will hold the parcel for 7 days and than return it to you if not claimed. The delivery driver should have left an orange paper but sometimes they forget things like that. May be ask your buyer to check at her local post office

Ulla Harneit

timberwolf
03-31-2015, 07:08 AM
Wow 7 days is quick to file. The last parcel I posted to Germany took 6 days - and that was without a strike or the backlog that would cause. I hope Paypal resolve this the right way. Could you pm me the buyer's name - I've sold a few horse to Germany but I can do without someone that is this trigger happy to file? Thanks.

ETA the Royal Mail website doesn't mention any problems with the German post so maybe the strike has been resolved.

Sharon Wishart

Mary
04-01-2015, 10:29 AM
... I have no idea what force Majeour means???? ...

"Force majeure" is a legal term that refers to an unforeseen, uncontrollable event or circumstance that made contract performance impossible. That's not the literal translation of the words, but it is what it refers to. It's defined legally somewhere, some accidents are force majeure and others are not. Things like severe weather, a strike, war or civil disruption, anything that stops normal life can be considered force majeure. Contracts often have a clause that lets one or both parties out of the agreement due to circumstances beyond their control.