PDA

View Full Version : Buying from overseas sellers

summerwinds
05-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it does relate to making a transaction, so hopefully I am not totally off base.

I found a model I am considering buying on MHSP, but the seller is overseas. Normally I don't even consider making a purchase from someone outside the US, I don't normally even consider Canada because I am so concerned with what can go wrong, but I really like this model, a LOT.

Those of you who buy from oversea, what do I need to know? What are things I should be considering? I would be using Paypal, but do I pay in US dollars or in their currency? What about shipping...do I have do worry about any customs forms on my end or anything like that?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Shahbazin
05-02-2015, 06:42 PM
I always check their transactions rep on MHHR ( https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MHHR/info ), same as any other transaction (I subscribed "read only on the web" so my mailbox isn't full of stuff I don't need). PayPal - if it's on MH$P it's usually advertised in dollars, & I just send the appropriate amount through PayPal, but it's easy to pay in pounds or whatever using the PayPal calculator while making the payment. I've never had any customs stuff to deal with - I've bought models from Germany, UK, Finland, & Italy, usually ARs & chinas.

JoeCool
05-02-2015, 06:50 PM
i have shipped to USA from Australia and it is no different than the service USPS provides (priority int'l). all buyers and myself were able to track the parcel from the minute it left me and also tracked it on USPS once they took it after arriving in USA, had a tracking number and insurance etc.

I have found that payment in whatever currency doesn't really matter as paypal auto does the conversion into seller's currency anyway ie: when I sold my Chamonix the USA buyer paid me in US dollars which was automatically converted to Australian dollars when it went into my paypal account.

for the USA people I have sold to, there have been no customs forms for them to fill out, they've just taken collection of their parcel once the mailman delivers to them.

hope this info helps :blueflower

VWK'sanEasyGoer
05-02-2015, 07:20 PM
I've bought from overseas a number of times and had no issue. Always paid in Paypal as goods sold and made sure all the details were crystal clear with the seller, like how much is shipping, currency, etc.

farmer3
05-02-2015, 07:24 PM
I have sent hundreds of parcels from Canada to the US with no problem. US buyers pay in USD with Paypal.
I take care of all customs paperwork when buying the Canada Post Expedited USA shipping label. The parcel is fully tracked and when it reaches the US the USPS mail carrier delivers it like any other USPS Priority parcel. Most buyers get their parcel in less than a week.

BearsnBugs
05-04-2015, 08:15 PM
It can take longer to get your package. I did have a horse get caught in customs for a month before it delivered to me from England - from a seller I regularly buy from, so no idea what happened there.

Eviejean
05-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Last year I purchased my first resin from an overseas seller. I was nervous but I did my homework beforehand, checking references (as was already suggested here) and I paid through PayPal so I would have recourse in case the transaction went bad. Everything went as smooth as glass and my resin Hazel was received from England less than a week later.
It's not often I purchase from anywhere but the US, but the few times I've purchase elsewhere (Canada and now England) I've had no problems.

Good Luck!