PDA

View Full Version : What to do? advice please!

emt8134
08-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Im cruising ebay tonight and i find a breyer bluebell clydesdale colt. His ears, nose and tail have the usual rubs but his color is great. Hes a buy it now.99 plus $6.35 to ship. So i bought him and paid immediately. The seller is one of those that has 800+ listings of household items, knick knacks etc all going cheap. She has two other breyers also each .99.

She just messaged me saying she made a mistake and wants me to cancel the transaction. On one hand i feel for her. On the other, i bought him fair and square and shes got my $7.35.

So what do i do? Thanks for any advice. Kim

Melinda
08-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Hi Kim, well there is really nothing you can do if she decides to cancel the transaction. You will be able to leave feedback telling what happened but no one can make her sell it to you. It's a bummer to think you got a great deal and then have it taken from you I know. You are right on believing she should go thru with it, mistake or not but you can't make anyone do what you think is the right thing. Sorry this happened to you.

emt8134
08-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Thank you!

Avalon99
08-05-2015, 11:02 PM
If she cancels it, that's that. I don't think you should be the one to cancel it though. Sounds like she's trying to avoid looking like the one who did the cancelling.

emt8134
08-05-2015, 11:12 PM
I think youre right, as she is specifically asking i be the person to cancel. The question is..would you do it?

Truson
08-05-2015, 11:29 PM
No way would I cancel! That foal didn't list itself BuyItNow. Ebay gives enough screens when listing, I highly doubt you can "ass-list" like people "ass-dial" their phones! She'd have to man-up and take the hit from me. Not to mention I think it can make you look bad as a buyer...don't know, I only ever canceled one, and Ebay and Paypal did it for me for an item that was a no-show with an invalid tracking number.

juliacodeman
08-06-2015, 05:50 AM
Ass list, lmao!!, I have a very specific picture in my head of someone sitting on their Ipad then hearing the ebay chime, "congratulations, your item is now listed! You have a very smart ass!".

:laff

No, that's shady. What is the exact reason she wants to cancel? Because she thought the item was supposed to be a different price? I thought your purchase cobtract was binding....no?

juliacodeman
08-06-2015, 06:01 AM
cobtract? :1hammer:corn:corn:corn:corn:corn:corn

emt8134
08-06-2015, 06:19 AM
Right. She's saying he was supposed to be an auction listing. Although all 3 of her breyers listed were .99 buy it now.

Miss Susan
08-06-2015, 06:57 AM
Kim. My two cents. Under NO reason would I be the one to cancel. You're not the one wanting to cancel it. Also, I don't know how, but I suspect doing so could "bite you on the butt". I think of myself as a nice person and I'm usually the one to "suck it up" but I wouldn't cancel. No no no. If the seller wants to cancel, let them be the one to pay the consequences. :)

Sorry this happened to you. :hugg

Beethovens7th
08-06-2015, 07:55 AM
No way would I cancel! That foal didn't list itself BuyItNow. Ebay gives enough screens when listing, I highly doubt you can "ass-list" like people "ass-dial" their phones! She'd have to man-up and take the hit from me. Not to mention I think it can make you look bad as a buyer...don't know, I only ever canceled one, and Ebay and Paypal did it for me for an item that was a no-show with an invalid tracking number.

Ass list, lmao!!, I have a very specific picture in my head of someone sitting on their Ipad then hearing the ebay chime, "congratulations, your item is now listed! You have a very smart ass!".

No, that's shady. What is the exact reason she wants to cancel? Because she thought the item was supposed to be a different price? I thought your purchase cobtract was binding....no?

cobtract? :1hammer:corn:corn:corn:corn:corn:corn

BWAHAHAHAHA!
:roflmao :laff :lmao

Man you guys are good 1st thing in the morning! Glad i didn't have coffee in mouth at the time!

FourWindsFarm
08-06-2015, 08:25 AM
No! If she wants it canceled, she needs to do it. You bought it fair and square and should not be the one to cancel this listing.

Jasanni
08-06-2015, 08:51 AM
I agree with the other opinions offered; if she wants it canceled because she accidentally listed it as BIN instead of an auction, then SHE should cancel it. When the buyer cancels, IMO, it automatically makes it seem as though the buyer had buyer's remorse or didn't want the item for some reason or another. You did what you were supposed to, let her be the one to admit her mistake "publicly" and cancel.

VWK'sanEasyGoer
08-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Agree with all here. You bought it fair and square and didn't make any mistake. The seller is responsible for their own listing and actions pertaining to them. No way I would cancel if I was the one who bought the little foal.

muggyscugglemeyer
08-06-2015, 09:08 AM

"Ass-list" is my new favorite word!

Ponygirl
08-06-2015, 09:14 AM
BIN: Butt-listed It Now? :lol

My guess is the seller doesn't want to lose out on eBay fees because of wanting to cancel the auction. The only ways to do that are reporting a non-paying bidder, or mutually agreeing to cancel a transaction. If sellers cancel from their side, they don't get the transaction fees back. Plus, yeah I think if both sides agree to cancel then they might not be able to leave feedback either? I'm a little rusty on that part.

PSAfanatic
08-06-2015, 09:16 AM
I am so sorry this had to happen to you Kim!! Shame on her for canceling on you.You should leave her negative feedback.:blueflower

emt8134
08-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Shh!! Lol! You guys are the best.

She must have heard you as my phone just chirped with " item marked shipped". I hadn't replied to her request yet on messages, but did get an eBay message requesting me to cancel. Then an hour later hes marked shipped???

Not sure what's happening here. Do I respond to eBay as no? Can I say no? Or has she said no by marking him shipped?

Salem
08-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Good for you, if you get your model. Making a mistake like that should have the natural consequences of reminding the seller to be more careful - although I would feel differently if it had happened with a "high-end" model for only .99 cents! I don't think I could do that to the seller, in good conscience, even if it was their mistake.

I once won a bid on a very nice CM model with no reserve, and after I paid the seller contacted me and told me that she'd dropped it and broken it. Suspicious, I asked if I could still have it, since the price was so good, and she got flustered and said it "went all to pieces," and refunded my money. Another time, a seller on another site I've dealt with several times before just refused to send me an invoice, and I gradually began to suspect she'd just had someone contact her with a higher offer. This sucks, but how much can you actually do when something like this happens?

Truson
08-06-2015, 10:09 AM

LOL! I can just hear the SIRI voice from the back pocket! :lmao

Truson
08-06-2015, 10:14 AM
"Ass-list" is my new favorite word!

*takes a little bow*

I strive to amuse! :) I rather like it myself...henceforth, all outrageously stupid listings or actions resulting from listings could be "ass-listings"! :)

tinnggg
08-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Will ebay even let the buyer cancel? I was looking into this as I won an auction and well, was dumbfounded when I got a message wanting to know when I could do a pick-up. Pick-up?! I looked at the listing to be sure - not marked pick-up only. They said ebay had apparently changed that on them when they relisted. Also told me to go ahead and cancel. I found bid retraction info, but not bid cancellation info - on the part of the buyer that is.

Avalon99
08-06-2015, 10:21 AM
I don't remember ever seeing an option for the buyer to cancel. I did once buy something that I got as a gift pretty much right after I clicked the button. I asked the seller if I could cancel (and buy something else of hers instead, which I did) and she was the one that did the cancelling.

Salem
08-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Yesterday my phone thought someone on TV said, "Okay, Google," and started saying, "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that - can you say it again?" Later my husband was trying to use his google voice-recog program and it wouldn't work, but mine kept answering him from way across the room. He wanted to know why my phone loves me more, so I asked it "Do you love me?" and it recommended a list of marriage counselors in our area! We laughed so hard!

tweemaster2
08-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Yesterday my phone thought someone on TV said, "Okay, Google," and started saying, "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that - can you say it again?" Later my husband was trying to use his google voice-recog program and it wouldn't work, but mine kept answering him from way across the room. He wanted to know why my phone loves me more, so I asked it "Do you love me?" and it recommended a list of marriage counselors in our area! We laughed so hard!

:lmao I once accidentally set the voice command in a car I had to French and never could set it back because all the command's were also in French (which I don't speak a word of). The only word I learned to say was the french word for "cancel" (I don't remember it now through).

On topic though - I list a ton of items through my company's Ebay store and while I can sympathize with how easy it is when mass listing items to make an error like this (Ebay likes to have default selections in listing templates), she should not have you cancel the transaction. She can easily do it herself and even select the reason. Ebay might send you a notice if she does this asking you to confirm that you agree to cancel the transaction (which will give her the listing fee's back) but you don't have to do anything if you feel she wasn't being straight forward about it. Personally if it was my error I would just send the item and count it as a reminder to double check the listing.

emt8134
08-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Thank you!

HorseshoeFarms
08-06-2015, 01:16 PM
No! If she wants it canceled, she needs to do it. You bought it fair and square and should not be the one to cancel this listing.

:agreed

Sazz
08-06-2015, 04:02 PM
I know everyone has basically already weighed in, but I wanted to throw down my two cents. If it were me, and if it were a common model, I'd be ticked too but I'd also figure that if I were the seller I'd be feeling even worse. I cut someone slack once when the item that was sold had been accidentally relisted and I "bought" it that next week. Thankfully someone paid it forward to me the one time I listed something, it sold after many months and lo and behold I am 99% sure I accidentally threw it out with garbage carelessly many months before. Spent hours looking for it and in the end sent the guy some other little model cars as an "I'm sorry for royally flubbing up." Never gave me bad feedback, nice guy!

Hopefully you get the model now that it is marked shipped though! In her defense if as a seller you use "list similar item" on one of your items it is really easy to actually screw up the pricing if the item you sold before was really cheap. I always am really careful to make sure the price is right.

Beethovens7th
08-06-2015, 04:04 PM
:lol

juliacodeman
08-07-2015, 09:37 AM
BWA!!! You ladies are hysterical, truly, thanks for the laughs! :lmao

Now, the other way to handle this could be to ask the seller what she was actually hoping to get for the model, and meet her in the middle somewhere-like, ok, you want 20 for it, how about I send you 10 and we call the transaction done? It might be worth it if you want the horse badly enough-however, in my opinion, since I have been selling on Ebay since 1997, a mistake is mine to eat. I would just send the person the horse and remind myself to double check how I list stuff next time. Sometimes you have to eat things as a seller to be fair and real to people. It is the way I would expect and hope someone would treat me. A deal is a deal.

Eviejean
08-07-2015, 05:50 PM
I don't remember ever seeing an option for the buyer to cancel. I did once buy something that I got as a gift pretty much right after I clicked the button. I asked the seller if I could cancel (and buy something else of hers instead, which I did) and she was the one that did the cancelling.

You CAN ask a seller to cancel your transaction within an hour of buying something.

I had to research this because a buyer asked ME to cancel HIS Buy-it-Now auction win for a $125.00 Lego set that his son (supposedly) used his eBay account to purchase without his knowledge or permission. Since he waited nearly 24 hours after using the Buy-it-Now button to ask me to cancel it, there was nothing I could do and he had to go through with being a non-paying bidder.

Personally, I felt it was buyer remorse.
If you do more eBay research, the "My kid purchased it without my knowledge" excuse is a BIG buyer remorse excuse...
Since that, ALL my Buy-it-Now listings require immediate payment!

As for the OP's question:
If I make a mistake listing something, that's MY fault and I have to eat it!
(just like juliacodeman mentioned!)
There are too many chances to check a listing BEFORE you list it.

Enjoy your .99 pony!

Eviejean
08-07-2015, 06:01 PM

I can't "rep" you again yet but if I could it would ABSOLUTELY be for this post!!! :thumbsup

:lmao :roflmao :laff :haha

horsefreak
08-07-2015, 06:32 PM

Ass-listů:lmao

Yeah I think she's full of crap. You actually have to choose the BIN option when listing, as auction is the default. At least it is on the page I use to list stuff.

RobinHoodFan
08-07-2015, 08:51 PM
The reason they don't' want to do it themselves is because I think it puts a mark on the sellers account and counts towards their DSRs ... You used to have to agree to the cancelation and then they'd get their fees back but given that I just went through something similar where I got a great deal and then 5 days later I get a notice my order was canceled and I had no say in the matter...BUT I was still able to leave FB--perhaps by also doing it the other way, you forfeit your feedback option as well....

Either way, yes SHE made the mistake, DO NOT CANCEL IT ON YOUR END---because YOUR ACCOUNT will get the mark instead. There is no reason she should ask you to do that either.

IMHO if it were me that made the mistake, I'd chalk it up to lesson learned on my part and ship as is without a peep....Unless of course this is a really high dollar item and a BIG boo-boo then I'd explain nicely and send a cancellation.

Salem
08-08-2015, 08:39 AM
I didn't know for the longest time that you need to give people the highest marks possible or it will count off on their rating. I thought if nothing was remarkable about the service, you were supposed to give it a neutral rating. Then people started asking me why I was dissatisfied, when I wasn't. Now it takes very bad service to get me to give anything but the highest marks.

It honestly never occurred to me that sellers were grading buyers, as well, but then I had no idea that so many people just refuse to pay when they win an auction. To me, if you bid and win, then that's a bill you owe, period. I can't believe they get away with canceling, and it's not just an outstanding bill on their account. What a world.

pipperroo
08-08-2015, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=Salem;2675943]I didn't know for the longest time that you need to give people the highest marks possible or it will count off on their rating. I thought if nothing was remarkable about the service, you were supposed to give it a neutral rating. Then people started asking me why I was dissatisfied, when I wasn't. Now it takes very bad service to get me to give anything but the highest marks.

QUOTE]

Yep, both Ebay and many other sites really need a 2 star/level system. It was good or it was bad. I've heard with car dealerships that if you don't give 5 stars or whatever then people can lose their jobs. The way I always read the system was 5 was for exceptional over the top service. But that isn't the way corporations read it.

So I either give 5 stars or none when these type of rating systems are used.

onekindacowboy
08-08-2015, 02:16 PM
I know. I am not sure when it became not acceptable to be average in this country. Everyone can't be exceptional. Average is fine for some things. I don't care if my ebay seller is average. I don't really need exceptional. I need my item sent in a timely manner not hand delivered with chocolate.

Mary
08-08-2015, 02:31 PM
I know. I am not sure when it became not acceptable to be average in this country. Everyone can't be exceptional. Average is fine for some things. I don't care if my ebay seller is average. I don't really need exceptional. I need my item sent in a timely manner not hand delivered with chocolate.

I've run into the same thing with official ratings, generally - if it isn't 5 out of 5, it's considered a failure. The problem is that most of the ARE average - that is what average is!

Somewhere someone forgot their math. If their average among their cs reps is 5 out of 5 ... that's not really their average. That's just how persuasive their reps are at convincing customers to click one box rather than the other. Since customers can be sensitive to the effect they have on someone's job who may not be outstanding but doesn't deserve censure, they click 'excellent' and forget about it.

I've stopped filling out surveys. I feel the insistence on 'excellence only' means they don't really want to know.

Salem
08-08-2015, 04:11 PM
I talked to a guy recently who said on customer surveys that you have to mark zero in order to give a ten, and if you give ten it registers as a one, so his record looks awful because people are accidentally giving him ones all the time.

Avalon99
08-08-2015, 04:29 PM

Wait, now I think about it, I realize I need all my items hand delivered by an incredibly gorgeous semi-clad man, bearing flowers and high quality Belgian chocolate, while he sings arias in Italian. That would definitely deserve an excellent on the feedback form! :)

emt8134
08-08-2015, 04:49 PM
That would be fun to see too! Lol

onekindacowboy
08-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Wait, now I think about it, I realize I need all my items hand delivered by an incredibly gorgeous semi-clad man, bearing flowers and high quality Belgian chocolate, while he sings arias in Italian. That would definitely deserve an excellent on the feedback form! :)

And he should arrive on a horse with lots of hair.

Salem
08-08-2015, 05:16 PM
A well-tanned, scantily-clad, very healthy man on a horse, both with lots of hair...

...bearing chocolates and plastic ponies... and accompanied by a violin player...

Why is my husband glaring at me? I thought he liked violin music. :violin

Ponygirl
08-08-2015, 05:24 PM
They really need some better way to determine that 5-star = good job. I mean, literally, the root of the word "exceptional" is exception!

It's like that post going around about the way that international grading systems do letter grades, vs. the US. 70% in the UK is still an A!