PDA

View Full Version : I am not a Minor

ttbreyerfan68
08-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Hello, I have been posting sales posts and wanted ads on Facebook. When I inquire about a model from people some of them automatically say I don't deal with minors. I look young for my age, but I am actually 20. I have my prom photo as my profile picture, so that could be why they think I am younger. I don't get on Facebook much for personal use, and I actually really like that photo so I haven't changed it. My point of this thread is, why do people automatically drop a transaction if the person looks young? It really hurts me when they assume I can't do business with them, even after I explain that I am older? I have missed out on buying some great horses, because the seller assumes I am a minor. My grammar may not be the best, but I never use txt slang while doing transactions. Thanks - Elizabeth Stayner

P.S If this is not the right place to post please let me know.

Miss Susan
08-16-2015, 07:28 AM
I'm sorry this is happening. The only thing I can suggest is change your photo, despite how much you like it. :dunno I'm not sure why else they would make that assumption. :dunno I do know that I won't deal with minors for legal reasons. I also don't want to have them back out because "my mom/dad" found out or what have you. I changed my Blab username from Tweenergirl to Miss Susan afters I realized tweener means a pre-teen (I'm over 50 :lol) I didn't want people assuming I was that young. I'm not saying you should care what people think and change for them, I'm just saying it may make it easier. :)

Hopefully someone else will have better insight. :)

ttbreyerfan68
08-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Thank you! May I ask how you change your username?

Miss Susan
08-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Thank you! May I ask how you change your username?

I don't remember. :hide I DO remember that I had to send Mary a PM and ask her. I think she has to make the change, and then you post in the "change name thread" :dunno Sorry I'm not more help. :(

FourWindsFarm
08-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Many people won't deal with minors for legal reasons, or simply because they've been burned in the past by tire-kickers, immaturity, etc. About all you can do is change the photo on your FB page or the username here if that's where the problem lies.

tannutuva
08-16-2015, 11:33 AM
I agree, minors can be problematic as they usually cannot enter into a contract, and the legal adult may be seen as taking advantage of them. Sometimes it's comical... ages ago at a live show at someone's home, I let a young person take a number of Breyer bodies home for a down payment of cash and a promise to pay by a certain length of time. Later, talking to others, it seems she did that with a number of people, and we had to let her exasperated father know in order to get the balance owed. I don't think she did this dishonestly, but we were collectively concerned as to how she was going to come up with a couple hundred dollars. Live and learn for both parties involved, and this was before prices in the hobby were anywhere near what they are now.

Jasper
08-18-2015, 12:05 PM
How frustrating. Besides the legal aspect, it's a case of a few bad apples that ruin it for everyone. I certainly don't blame sellers for not wanting to sell or trade. I've seen many transactions go bad and there could be lots of money on the line. I don't really have any advice for you besides keep trying, and the sales you do get to go through, make sure the seller leaves positive remarks for you on MHHR and Facebook pages. Reputation will go a long ways and get you started.

Beethovens7th
08-18-2015, 01:54 PM
Sorry this has happened to you so much. i, too, look (and act:uh) younger than i am, but even when i was 14, sellers shorely and gladly took my baby-sitting money for ponehs! :bugeyes