PDA

View Full Version : APOLOGIES FROM BLAB for unauthorized email & announcement

Mary
09-21-2015, 03:21 PM
I've removed the unauthorized post from Panjo that was left here. They were permitted to upgrade only, and that is all.

Blab's business relationship with Panjo is on hold until this is addressed.

I deeply apologize for the email that went out from Blab. As all members know, Blab does not send spam email. In fact, emails addressing outages are only sent to those members who have authorized such communication. The only other email Blab sends is notification of expiration of paid subs.

BTW the email was a "button push", not access to actual member data. They should not have had access to blast to email addresses.

I can't undo the liberty that was taken, but it is being addressed now.

Apologies again,
Mary

VWK'sanEasyGoer
09-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Apologies go a long way. Good to hear this and thank you for taking action against it.

BuckR.
09-21-2015, 04:06 PM
:exactlyThank-you for letting us know. It is very good to hear that this was unauthorized! This goes a long way in restoring my blab trust. Thanks! :clap

Lupineleigh
09-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the information. :)

redsixwing
09-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Yikes. Thanks for the apology and the information.

Miss Susan
09-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Apologies go a long way. Good to hear this and thank you for taking action against it.

:agreed Thank you, Mary. :)

Brenda
09-21-2015, 04:40 PM
Even though I wasn't affected, I still appreciate the explanation. I knew there had to be a reasonable one. :)

FourWindsFarm
09-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Thank you for addressing this.

emt8134
09-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Thank you!

DooWiki
09-21-2015, 07:53 PM
Thanks for dealing with this. :clap

texxdog
09-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Thank you Mary. I appreciate your addressing Panjo and taking a hard line with them.

horsefreak
09-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Thank you!

Ghost_Wolf_Ranch
09-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Good to know, thanks! :)

Mary
09-21-2015, 09:31 PM
Now I've had time to actually READ the email, all I can think is

:dohdoh :dohdoh :dohdoh :gaah :headbeat :gaah :headbeat

I am sure almost none of it made sense to recipients - it's not worth reading if you haven't yet. It sounds like some big ole change but there actually isn't, in terms of Blab classified usage. And with readers not knowing what they are talking about, it could be seriously misinterpreted. :randommil

I don't know what the future is with them at this point. I think they have a potentially good product, but it is not worth dealing with if it comes with behavior like this.

Haven't yet looked at all the upgrade features - hope they are good ones. Have to see if they make up for the terrible communications.

Eviejean
09-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Mary, Thank you for dealing with the unauthorized e-mails (and for responding to my PM).

RobinHoodFan
09-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the explanation..however FYI you didn't BCC ("blind carbon copy") in your email to us so I can see everyone's email that you sent it to (and they, mine)...you may want to make sure not to do that in the future since I'm not sure if everyone on that email wanted their email addy public. ;)

Also, anyone know where/how you can delete your panjo account? I can't find anywhere to do that on their website. I emailed them to do so again today after getting that email since they clearly never deleted mine....but was wondering if anyone knows how to do it oneself?

Eviejean
09-22-2015, 08:47 AM
That's a good question Christina.
I never had a PANJO account but by the looks of that e-mail they have set me up with one.

I WON'T BE USING IT EVER AND I WANT IT DELETED.
How do I do that?

HockeyCheer
09-22-2015, 09:05 AM
No harm done!

Beethovens7th
09-22-2015, 09:08 AM
:yeahthat

BuckR.
09-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Thank-you for your apology. I am still figuring out what to do with this so called 'Panjo Account' that they have set up, but perhaps disregarding it will put an end to it.

Shaheen
09-22-2015, 07:14 PM
I wasn't very pleased to see that they had transferred info and set up an account on Panjo for me. That's what the email said. Obviously their customer relations skills are lacking. They did this without permission from anyone. I'd like to delete my so called account as well. The thing is, I've never even placed an ad through them. I tested it once and then never did do the ad, because it was cutting off the pictures and was a big pain in neck. So because I tested in once, I now have an account. Hmmm.

Shaheen
09-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the explanation..however FYI you didn't BCC ("blind carbon copy") in your email to us so I can see everyone's email that you sent it to (and they, mine)...you may want to make sure not to do that in the future since I'm not sure if everyone on that email wanted their email addy public. ;)

Also, anyone know where/how you can delete your panjo account? I can't find anywhere to do that on their website. I emailed them to do so again today after getting that email since they clearly never deleted mine....but was wondering if anyone knows how to do it oneself?

If you get a reply from them on how to delete your account, please post the instructions here. I'd like to delete mine too. :yes

RobinHoodFan
09-22-2015, 10:29 PM
If you get a reply from them on how to delete your account, please post the instructions here. I'd like to delete mine too. :yes
I got no reply whatsoever however I can no longer log in. When I try to log in on the site, now it says error 404.... and I notice a bunch of OLD panjo ads updating today here on blab saying "no longer available"

I have NO IDEA what's going on but I'm ASSUMING they have deleted the account and just didn't reply?

Mary
09-22-2015, 10:29 PM
I will find out about deleting accounts and let you know. Panjo and I are having a discussion about boundaries. We will see where it ends up. :uh

Mary
09-22-2015, 10:31 PM
I got no reply whatsoever however I can no longer log in. When I try to log in on the site, now it says error 404.... and I notice a bunch of OLD panjo ads updating today here on blab saying "no longer available"

I have NO IDEA what's going on but I'm ASSUMING they have deleted the account and just didn't reply?

I think you can ignore whatever you see there now. I got an email from them ... they were trying to run a routine maintenance on all their sites and apparently it's all messed up. It duplicated a bunch of old ads, and access seems to be come & go, among other things. I would suggest giving Panjo a rest for a time as this sorts out. :)

I moved out all the ads that appeared to be old duplicates. Didn't delete them, so if you are missing one posted today and want it back, let me know the details and I can fish it out for you. :yes

Those ads that are posted on Blab that are active seem to be fine. They show up in the Classifieds section, and people can negotiate those as they usually do. At present you may not have access to pay through Panjo, but almost no one does in any case.

It is rather a shame a they seem to have gotten the ad site in much better order. But the management of it is the problem.

Mary
09-23-2015, 12:23 AM
To delete your Panjo account (from Panjo) -

Send your Blab username to info@panjo.com or call 1 (424) 272-0291 with your request to delete, and they will take care of it.

Make sure it is your exact username with spaces/no spaces, caps/no caps, etc.

Good point, sorry about that. I so seldom send out these big emails, I forgot! There were only about 15 emails per send so as not to trip the block on mass outgoing email.

Northern Lone Ranger
09-23-2015, 06:29 AM

Send your Blab username to info@panjo.com or call 1 (424) 272-0291 with your request to delete, and they will take care of it.

Good point, sorry about that. I so seldom send out these big emails, I forgot! There were only about 15 emails per send so as not to trip the block on mass outgoing email.

Thank you Mary! I have emailed to have my account deleted.

Lindy Pinkham

RobinHoodFan
09-23-2015, 06:33 AM

As mentioned, using BCC (BLIND carbon copy) instead of CC or just in the to field is what hides the emails from others as an FYI

RobinHoodFan
09-23-2015, 06:45 AM
So just discovered that they apparently don't actually delete your account...they just add "DELETE" to your email in your profile so you can't log in so it just LOOKS like it's deleted. I know this because my computer automatically remembered me as logged in and I can still see my profile and everything there. I was able to delete the extra words they added to my email, and log back in as normal...so once again, they are misinforming people and are untrustworthy, it does not make me feel good. Thank goodness I never linked my paypal account...goodness knows how their security is if this is how they act just trying to delete a test account!

This whole thing is just a huge mess and I'm quite irked about it....STILL...and feel completely violated.

Stitch
09-23-2015, 08:30 AM
I personally believe it would be better if we just got rid of pando. I still don't understand why we need a 3rd party to sell when we have a separate board for transactions? The sales forum is so congested and a mess as it stands now. I've also noticed a lack in actual sales postings ever since Pando has gone active. Folks just don't want to mess with that section as much any more. Having Pando is not worth loosing members over. Honestly, it's not.

VWK'sanEasyGoer
09-23-2015, 08:32 AM
I personally believe it would be better if we just got rid of pando. I still don't understand why we need a 3rd party to sell when we have a separate board for transactions? The sales forum is so congested and a mess as it stands now. I've also noticed a lack in actual sales postings ever since Pando has gone active. Folks just don't want to mess with that section as much any more. Having Pando is not worth loosing members over. Honestly, it's not.

:yeahthat x infinity

Misty Star Studios
09-23-2015, 08:53 AM

:yes I am much less active on Blab since that whole fiasco. I used to look at sales stuff all the time but now I never look over there.

JulieB
09-23-2015, 10:54 AM

Well said.

RobinHoodFan
09-23-2015, 11:52 AM

Unfortunately I think that ship has already sailed....many valuable members have already left...members that I looked up to and received loads of help and advice from on here. Very few remain...and it's not just because of the panjo system but how they (as well as myself) were treated when it all started....so not sure what can be done now, unfortunately, to change anyone's mind to come back.

:yes I am much less active on Blab since that whole fiasco. I used to look at sales stuff all the time but now I never look over there.
I'm very sad to see how slow blab has been since this happened. I had no plans to stick around since the fiasco but I still had some sub left so I'm just riding it out. Blab used to be my lifeline but like you, my activity has also been WAY down here--practically non-existant compared to before. I used to post daily and MAANNYYY times in multiple threads...now I barely even care to check blab, let alone post much. There's just not really much for me over here anymore in way of paid membership so I still don't have any plans to renew once my sub is up either unless some major changes and apologies are made. :\ But I digress...

Mary
09-23-2015, 02:31 PM
A Panjo disconnect is fairly certain right now. It would already be done but I didn't want to disturb those ads already posted, in case they are important to those who posted them.

Panjo re-designed the way they are providing the program, which I knew about and thought I understood. It was necessary for several reasons and some of the updates were months overdue. With a different strategy it would have been a much a much improved program with no disturbance for those who were using it. But I did not anticipate the way they did it or many of the changes. Especially, the loss of Blab control, and most especially, the change in the management of the advertisers, I guess would be the way to phrase it. The business format is considerably altered in ways I did not anticipate.

At this point the only way to make it fair to members who use it would be a re-launch of the program so people could opt in to the current design only if they wanted to. But at this point I just don't see how it will work for Blab. Have been conversing with Panjo, but there are too many things I'm not ready to live with.

I will follow up on the account deletions. They should be a total delete.

I am actually thinking of asking them to delete all Blab member accounts. That basically means clearing all the ads Blabbers have posted with Panjo. Would those who have ads posted be in favor of having your own ads cleared? Historical & current.

texxdog
09-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Clear everything and drop all ties to Panjo.

Mary
09-23-2015, 02:45 PM

You are speaking for yourself, of course? That's easily done as an individual. :)

If it's a vote for the forum as a whole, is it because you do not like Panjo specifically, and can you say what about their program is not right? That helps going forward.

Stitch
09-23-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm for dropping everything and clearing all ties to Panjo as well. Any Ads i have had and account can be deleted.

squick912
09-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately I think that ship has already sailed....many valuable members have already left...members that I looked up to and received loads of help and advice from on here. Very few remain...and it's not just because of the panjo system but how they (as well as myself) were treated when it all started....so not sure what can be done now, unfortunately, to change anyone's mind to come back.

I'm very sad to see how slow blab has been since this happened. I had no plans to stick around since the fiasco but I still had some sub left so I'm just riding it out. Blab used to be my lifeline but like you, my activity has also been WAY down here--practically non-existant compared to before. I used to post daily and MAANNYYY times in multiple threads...now I barely even care to check blab, let alone post much. There's just not really much for me over here anymore in way of paid membership so I still don't have any plans to renew once my sub is up either unless some major changes and apologies are made. :\ But I digress...

Many folks have joined onlymodelhorses.proboards.com. The whole site is free, you just sign up with an email. As the title says, only models--no off topics. just plastic (or other) pony gab. Facebook really is where most of things happen anymore but the forums are a great place to post pictures & general brag/boast/wish/want.

RobinHoodFan
09-23-2015, 02:58 PM
You are speaking for yourself, of course? That's easily done as an individual. :)

If it's a vote for the forum as a whole, is it because you do not like Panjo specifically, and can you say what about their program is not right? That helps going forward.
Are we really going to start this again?

ElreniaGreenleaf
09-23-2015, 03:09 PM

Seconded. And while I speak as an individual, I rather suspect I speak for the majority too.

Misty Star Studios
09-23-2015, 03:10 PM
It's been said over and over and I'll add my voice again, I'm more than happy to drop ties with Panjo. I don't want to go through all this again.

onekindacowboy
09-23-2015, 03:25 PM
I think the idea of Panjo was good but the execution on their part was very poor. Many people have been crying for another sales venue similar to eBay. If it had worked people would have been happy. But it did not. There was not a way to limit sales to only the board. Panjo should have been open to that as a needed option for sales on bulletin boards. They obviously are not collectors. I suspect any hobby board that opted in to their service had similar problems as us.
I do think those who currently have ads up need to make the decision. Ifbi was using it I would want to have some input as to whether and when my ads dissapear.

And honestly there is still more activity on this forum than the other one.

onekindacowboy
09-23-2015, 03:31 PM
So I would welcome a plugin that allows for ad sales if these conditions were met. 1. Good pictures. 2. Ability to limit sales as visible to only forum members if wanted. 2. Ability to change to outside community visibility easily without having to resart ad. 3. Easily able to end ads and mark sold or on hold. 4. Ability to see all ads not just the first page. 5. Quality search function

Mary
09-23-2015, 04:57 PM
No, we're not going to repeat another thread ... it's actually against Blab rules against dragging old issues from one thread to another. Best to discuss the current situation and go from here. :)

Quick reminder that there is also a Blab rule against discussing other forums that are somewhat similar in purpose to Blab (model horses). Not that there is anything wrong per se, but it creates all sorts of drama between forums and that's not necessary. Plenty of room for all.

:)

I think the idea of Panjo was good but the execution on their part was very poor. Many people have been crying for another sales venue similar to eBay. If it had worked people would have been happy. But it did not. There was not a way to limit sales to only the board. Panjo should have been open to that as a needed option for sales on bulletin boards. They obviously are not collectors. I suspect any hobby board that opted in to their service had similar problems as us.
I do think those who currently have ads up need to make the decision. Ifbi was using it I would want to have some input as to whether and when my ads dissapear.

Exactly my thoughts. There is a bit more backstory, but while some of the functions have gotten much better, the fundamentals for collectors like this hobby are too shaky and Panjo management just does not seem to get why.

So I would welcome a plugin that allows for ad sales if these conditions were met. 1. Good pictures. 2. Ability to limit sales as visible to only forum members if wanted. 2. Ability to change to outside community visibility easily without having to resart ad. 3. Easily able to end ads and mark sold or on hold. 4. Ability to see all ads not just the first page. 5. Quality search function

Good thoughts, thanks!

And yeah, some of this is just not nailed down and I don't see it going this way, despite what I was told.

Panjo did make some significant improvements - photos & payment are much, much better. But there just isn't enough control to blend it directly with a community like Blab. There's not sufficient customization, not to mention some other things.

BuckR.
09-23-2015, 05:05 PM
I just wish this hadn't happened. It's not the end of the world, but there seems to be no real way to undo this account that they have set up. It was extremely presumptuous of Panjo to assume that all blab members, or at least a random selection, would want an account. Perhaps even offering us the chance to open one (via a message in our blab accounts) would be fine. But not this! How on earth would they assume that automatically signing us up for accounts would make us use their service?!

Jeannine
09-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Actually, there is an off topic section for things non model horse related chatter. However, I do get most of my hobby info from Facebook now.

Many folks have joined onlymodelhorses.proboards.com. The whole site is free, you just sign up with an email. As the title says, only models--no off topics. just plastic (or other) pony gab. Facebook really is where most of things happen anymore but the forums are a great place to post pictures & general brag/boast/wish/want.

Jeannine
09-23-2015, 05:35 PM
I would agree with this. A large portion of the members have already left and are either on FB, OMH, or both. I think I let my sub lapse before the panjo mess when my job was furloughed, and I really didn't miss being here. The others who have left have said the same thing, so getting rid of panjo now is probably not going to bring any of those folks back, especially since there are other sources to get hobby info that don't cost anything.

Mary
09-23-2015, 05:41 PM
mod note

Rules reminder:
- We are not re-hashing an old argument from a prior thread, because a long-standing Blab rule is no dragging of disputes from one thread to another.

- Opinions are welcome. But rules and mods strongly discourage posts that have little purpose other than to provoke an argument, so please think about why your opinion is important in this thread. :yes :thumbsup

- It's a long-standing rule that mod direction in a thread is to be followed, to help a thread be more productive.

- A rule that is older than my Blab membership forbids discussion of other hobby forums. This is simply to avoid any drama between forums. There is plenty of room for all hobby forums. :talk

- Many violations were allowed in an older thread. That was a one-off and the free-for-all will not be repeated here. The discussion can go forward from where we are now. :)

Thank you for understanding and helping us move forward! :rays

onekindacowboy
09-23-2015, 05:48 PM
I have yet to get any emails from panjo. Were only certain members affected?

Mary
09-23-2015, 05:50 PM
I have yet to get any emails from panjo. Were only certain members affected?

Did you ever do one of their ads? I think that was the connection. One that was unanticipated. :mad

Mary
09-23-2015, 05:52 PM
... there seems to be no real way to undo this account that they have set up. ...

Those accounts will be completely undone. I can hold their feet to the fire in other ways ... off Blab. :hubba

BuckR.
09-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Thanks, Mary! I really appreciate your straightforwardness in this matter, especially since it was done without your knowledge. Very much appreciated! :clap:clap:yourock

Mary
09-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Thanks, Mary! I really appreciate your straightforwardness in this matter, especially since it was done without your knowledge. Very much appreciated! :clap:clap:yourock

In all honesty I did know they were re-vamping the software platform. I agreed with the basic principle. And upgrading the features considerably, something they were behind on by months.

I did NOT know they were collecting all my member-advertisers! :dohdoh :gaah

Believe me, we have talked. I am proud that I was reasonably business-like and not WOYM-only. :grintongue

BearsnBugs
09-23-2015, 07:49 PM
I'm for dropping everything and clearing all ties to Panjo as well. Any Ads i have had and account can be deleted.

Agreed. I have been saying this all along. This is just another example of why.

muggyscugglemeyer
09-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks for clearing things up, Mary!

I got two emails from Panjo, but I just skimmed through them and then deleted them. I haven't given Panjo any pertinent information, so I'm not worried.

The *idea* that Panjo had was a good one. I just don't think they're going about it properly.

BearsnBugs
09-23-2015, 07:52 PM
I got two emails, just deleted them.

Shaheen
09-23-2015, 08:06 PM
I emailed them and asked them to delete my account. I just got an email today from someone by the name of Max, who told me that my account had been deleted. I think it's gone because I did a test trying to sign in, and it didn't work. If they were to make some improvements, I think more people would like it. It needs to be more user friendly, and not cut off pictures. (just speaking generally, not in terms of having it on Blab) I think the idea they have is good, but improvements are definitely needed. Also they need to improve on customer service skills. They should have offered people a chance to opt out, rather than just transferring info.

Mary
09-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Actually the photos are much improved in this version, and the checkout is better. There are some other things that need to change for hobby users.

I have asked Panjo to fully delete all user accounts from Blab that do not currently have an active ad that was started on 8/1/2015 or later. I'll get in touch with the active advertisers and let them know their options, and work with their wishes. Once the deletions are made I'll advise those members. (There are 23 active ads from Blab just now, some quite recent. About 250 ads have been posted from Blab all told, could be more based on certain counts.)

Those who do want to use Panjo can register with them directly, and they can post in the area that is currently Model Horse Blab and dedicated to the hobby & hobby-related items. That section will be transitioned to off-Blab.

I'll sort out the rest, working through the process of disconnecting from Blab.

Miss Susan
09-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Just for the record, I never placed an ad or bought anything using panjo, but I did get the emails from them. So, I don't know where they got my name. :dunno

Northern Lone Ranger
09-24-2015, 09:04 AM
I emailed them and requested to have my account deleted.

Got the following back yesterday

Hi Lindy,

Sorry to see you go. Your account has been deleted and you have been unsubscribed from all email lists.

Best,
Max @ Panjo Support

For the record... I tried one ad with them. I found it difficult to use. I finally got the ad deleted after emailing them. I much prefer popping an ad up on Blab, my yahoo groups or MH$P when I have something for sale or on ebay. I don't "do" facebook as I just don't have the time. I would much rather spend my time creating etchies, tack and sorting through my collection to post things for sale.

Lindy Pinkham

Eviejean
09-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Did you ever do one of their ads? I think that was the connection. One that was unanticipated. :mad
I NEVER did one of their ads, NEVER tested their system and NEVER signed up for a PANJO account and yet I got one of their e-mail's to my PRIVATE e-mail address.
Not the e-mail linked to my Blab account!

I purchased one item from a PANJO Marketplace seller in 2014 (a Blabber) and the PayPal address I paid through is my Private e-mail address.
And NOW I have a PANJO account! :grump That's the only connection I can make with how they got my Private e-mail address.

Mary is working for me to make sure this is what happened but that's the only reasonable explanation I can find!

Those accounts will be completely undone. I can hold their feet to the fire in other ways ... off Blab. :hubba
:thumbsup Thanks for your assistance Mary - I do not want, nor have I EVER wanted a PANJO account!

RobinHoodFan
09-24-2015, 10:00 AM
I NEVER did one of their ads, NEVER tested their system and NEVER signed up for a PANJO account and yet I got one of their e-mail's to my PRIVATE e-mail address.
Not the e-mail linked to my Blab account!

I purchased one item from a PANJO Marketplace seller in 2014 (a Blabber) and the PayPal address I paid through is my Private e-mail address.
And NOW I have a PANJO account! :grump That's the only connection I can make with how they got my Private e-mail address.

Mary is working for me to make sure this is what happened but that's the only reasonable explanation I can find!

:thumbsup Thanks for your assistance Mary - I do not want, nor have I EVER wanted a PANJO account!

Same here too....i found it very odd the email they sent it to as well...not one linked to blab or one I even use that often. I don't like it! I have no clue where they got the info from!

RobinHoodFan
09-24-2015, 10:01 AM
And they still have not deleted my account :somad

Eviejean
09-24-2015, 10:45 AM
And they still have not deleted my account :somad

I have not tried the account they set up for me but I was thinking of sending an e-mail to the address listed in this thread and demand that they delete the account and any information associated with it, not just make it inactive. The only thing is, how will I know???

akwidman
09-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Mary, I'm fine with you deleting my Panjo ads, but only after the ad for my current running auction is over please! ;)

I would have very much preferred NOT to use Panjo, but I wanted to post a notice about my auction on Blab, so Panjo it was. For someone who isn't on Facebook, Blab is one of the only other outlets to advertise things for sale.

FourWindsFarm
09-24-2015, 11:18 AM
I am also for cutting all ties with Panjo. Never liked it, won't use it, and I rarely even check the sales forums anymore because of it. I also got a Panjo email even though I have NEVER made an ad, signed up for an account, or purchased through a Panjo ad.

Mary
09-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Mary, I'm fine with you deleting my Panjo ads, but only after the ad for my current running auction is over please! ;)

I would have very much preferred NOT to use Panjo, but I wanted to post a notice about my auction on Blab, so Panjo it was. For someone who isn't on Facebook, Blab is one of the only other outlets to advertise things for sale.

Your recent ads are some of the ones I was looking to preserve until I had a chance to touch base with you. More later, by email, probably be a few days yet. :)

unicornwoman
09-24-2015, 03:00 PM
I think I have one ad over there, but would be fine to have it canceled if it meant saying good-bye to Panjo. I much preferred just being able to post a classified here on Blab and then working everything out "private treaty".

curlinfan
09-26-2015, 09:22 AM
Just so everyone knows Panjo isn't the only company to open accounts without a persons permission or knowledge. I had to go through this with the cable company Insight. My apartment building was sold and the new owners decided to switch from Insight to the satellite Dish which would be included with the rent. If you wanted to keep your cable you had to notify Insight and set up an individual account, if not then the new owners would cancel your cable and hook you up with Dish. Cable was expensive and Dish included the channels I liked so I didn't call the new owners or Insight. On February 1st I had a nice package from Dish that was included in my rent. I'm happy until the end of March when I get a huge bill from Insight saying I owed them over $200 for services for the past two months - February and March - and I would soon get a bill for April. When I called I found out they set up an account in my name and sent me the bill for services I didn't receive. I was furious. I didn't ask them to open an account for me and I certainly wasn't going to pay for cable when I had Dish for the months stated in the bill. The woman at Insight said I was in their computer system and I would need to pay the bill then come down to their offices to cancel the account and apply for a refund. WHAT?!! Pay for a service I never received and cancel an account I didn't open. Absolutely not. Next day I talked to my new landlady and she said Insight had opened unauthorized accounts for everyone in the building, over 50 units, and everyone had gotten bills despite no one having Insight. She asked for a copy of the bill and said she was notifying her lawyer. It took almost a month and the lawyer had to contact the city and the BBB and the CPA and everyone had to file an official compliant but the accounts were finally deleted. Apparently this is common practice in some businesses if there's a prior "history" with the consumer.

FourWindsFarm
09-26-2015, 02:53 PM
^ My brother had that happen with MediaCom after they moved and got satellite TV instead. They had closed their account with Mediacom when they sold their old house, but apparently the company opened a new account in his name at the new address and waited three months before sending them a 'past due' notice for three months of TV (including all of the expensive options they'd never purchased) they never received. He found out their elderly neighbor lady had been paying for services for several years and she didn't even have a TV... she assumed it was part of the regular utilities!

freakofnature
09-26-2015, 03:09 PM
:tsktsk That's just despicable!

RobinHoodFan
09-26-2015, 03:19 PM
He found out their elderly neighbor lady had been paying for services for several years and she didn't even have a TV... she assumed it was part of the regular utilities!

That makes me so sad :( It's disgusting what some of these companies do.

Truson
09-27-2015, 10:19 PM
This is one reason I answer the phone with "This is she" or "This is he" (Yes, I play my husband on the phone well enough to fool even my father. I find it VERY effective against solictors!) NEVER say "yes" to a stranger on the phone, because some of these businesses record it and use it to say you authorized them to start services!

RobinHoodFan
09-28-2015, 09:01 AM
This is one reason I answer the phone with "This is she" or "This is he" (Yes, I play my husband on the phone well enough to fool even my father. I find it VERY effective against solictors!) NEVER say "yes" to a stranger on the phone, because some of these businesses record it and use it to say you authorized them to start services!
I am always so paranoid about that too!! Sometimes you can't help it though. I hardly ever pick up the phone though .....i hate the phone...plus we're on a do not call list which really helps!

Eviejean
09-28-2015, 12:27 PM
TOTALLY and absolutely feel the same way. You NEVER know who's going to (try to) work the system AGAINST you!!

I am always so paranoid about that too!! Sometimes you can't help it though. I hardly ever pick up the phone though .....i hate the phone...plus we're on a do not call list which really helps!
On the DO NOT CALL LIST too, but feel that's it's a joke to the people who flaunt it and call anyway or use robocalling which is against the law!! :grump

Eviejean
09-28-2015, 12:32 PM
I will find out about deleting accounts and let you know. Panjo and I are having a discussion about boundaries. We will see where it ends up. :uh

(bolded by me)

Just checking, Mary.
Are we waiting for you and PANJO to delete (not just deactivate) these unwanted accounts they gave us or do we each have to contact PANJO and have them delete the account individually??

RobinHoodFan
09-28-2015, 01:24 PM
(bolded by me)

Just checking, Mary.
Are we waiting for you and PANJO to delete (not just deactivate) these unwanted accounts they gave us or do we each have to contact PANJO and have them delete the account individually??
:yeahthat My account still exists..they did not delete it even after I asked multiple times.....:ever

freakofnature
09-28-2015, 01:28 PM
I emailed Panjo and asked them to delete my account. I received an email back saying it had been done but I have no idea how to check. It would be nice if they'd delete these accounts like we've asked instead of just deactivating them.

Mary
09-28-2015, 03:27 PM
(bolded by me)

Just checking, Mary.

(partially de-bolded just for easier reading ;) )

I have instructed them to delete all accounts - totally delete, nothing remaining in their database. I asked this to be done by Friday Oct. 2nd, or if they felt they couldn't meet that date, to let me know an alternate date.

People do not have to make individual requests to have the deletion done. Of course you can if you wish, and at least they are answering. I will do what I can to verify that the accounts are cleaned up.

I will continue to follow up with them. As they are involved with other matters as well, I would give a few days. They have a small staff, but they know they have to come through.

Hope that makes sense. :)

EWV22
09-28-2015, 07:15 PM
I have been/still am traveling but trying to keep up here. One question- when these accounts we didn't ask for are deleted- will you or will we get individual confirmations of the deletion/s?

Mary
09-28-2015, 08:58 PM
I have been/still am traveling but trying to keep up here. One question- when these accounts we didn't ask for are deleted- will you or will we get individual confirmations of the deletion/s?

That's a good question. I'll get a confirmation of the deletion of all of them when it is done. Those who are asking individually will get replies. I'll post here when the 'all' is confirmed with me, and people can check their individual accounts. I'll also do some searches to see if anything comes up.

freakofnature
09-28-2015, 11:28 PM
Thanks, Mary! :)

Eviejean
09-29-2015, 11:28 AM
(partially de-bolded just for easier reading ;) )

I have instructed them to delete all accounts - totally delete, nothing remaining in their database. I asked this to be done by Friday Oct. 2nd, or if they felt they couldn't meet that date, to let me know an alternate date.

People do not have to make individual requests to have the deletion done. Of course you can if you wish, and at least they are answering. I will do what I can to verify that the accounts are cleaned up.

I will continue to follow up with them. As they are involved with other matters as well, I would give a few days. They have a small staff, but they know they have to come through.

Hope that makes sense. :)

That's a good question. I'll get a confirmation of the deletion of all of them when it is done. Those who are asking individually will get replies. I'll post here when the 'all' is confirmed with me, and people can check their individual accounts. I'll also do some searches to see if anything comes up.

Thanks for the information (sorry about the overly bolded question :grin)
Appreciate the notification of a time-line, too and that more information will be posted as it becomes available.

EWV22
09-29-2015, 09:14 PM

Thank you Mary :)

Mary
09-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Here is a question for those following this thread ....

For the purposes of discussion
Ad = Classified ad, with classified layout outside the forum posts
Sales post = Post in the Sales forum without a proper classified ad

So many members have believed that Sales posts on Blab were only visible to Blab members, but that was never true. The blurb under Sales actually said they were visible to non-members who browse Blab, but probably no one reads those. :grin

It seemed as if they weren't visible off-Blab because non-members didn't find it worthwhile to visit, because of - low volume, - often also shown on MHSP, and - they didn't know they could read Blab Sales forum posts (or even that Blab had a Sales forum) as it wasn't advertised anywhere.

The reason for the visibility: In early Blab days, there was a small but important selling segment that wanted Sales forum posts to be universally visible. They said they wouldn't use the Sales forum unless it was so. But of course that was well over 10 years ago.

So, after that wordy preview ... my question for you is ...

Is it important - to those reading this thread - that you could choose to place some Sales posts to be visible to any non-member browser, especially if they were invited to come and look? And still have the option to place other Sales posts to be visible only to Blab members?

Or - even if you'd like to be able to make some Sales posts universally visible, is that split in the Sales forum too confusing?

Talking Sales forum posts only here, not advertisements of any other kind. :) :tiphat

freakofnature
09-30-2015, 02:41 PM
If I post a sales ad here on Blab it's because I want to sell to a Blab member. If I want to make something available to the general public, I will post an ad on MH$P. :)

Miss Susan
09-30-2015, 04:54 PM
If I post a sales ad here on Blab it's because I want to sell to a Blab member. If I want to make something available to the general public, I will post an ad on MH$P. :)

:agreed

Schnauzer
10-01-2015, 09:38 AM

That pretty much sums up my feelings. There is a certain level of trust here on Blab...the general public is now a minefield of a few bad apples interspersed with the good hobby folk. Less worry here.
Ann

FourWindsFarm
10-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Exactly.

Mary
10-02-2015, 08:26 PM
FYI the all-Blab customer deletes haven't started yet, as they were working other issues with the new platform, and they let me know today there are a couple of points they want to review with me before they go ahead. I was not connected and didn't get the message till late. I'm thinking later this coming week, probably, working to get a firm date by Monday/Tuesday. With luck they are doing the individual requests as they are getting them. Sorry for the delay, but safe is best, and it will get done. :)

onekindacowboy
10-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Keep at em Mary. It kind of sounds like they may be hoping you let up or change your mind. Obviously they have not dealt with many horse folk to know you commonly deal with 1000 lb animals....a few computer programmers are no comparison!

Mary
10-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Keep at em Mary. It kind of sounds like they may be hoping you let up or change your mind. Obviously they have not dealt with many horse folk to know you commonly deal with 1000 lb animals....a few computer programmers are no comparison!

Maybe a little bit ... but I've made it clear that if I go ahead with a Panjo classifieds in any form, it will be separate from Blab. People will sign up independently and KNOW they are opting in. That's not a firm plan (there's a horse community that sells a lot of tack that might be the way to go). They did try to make contact Friday, had I been connected perhaps they would have got to it then, but I'm glad they did wait till we talked about whatever their question is.

But they really do have some programming issues with their new format that they have had to deal with urgently with their other customers. I have respected that, as nothing more is being done with the Blab end of it - no new ads, no emails, etc. We can give them some space and still get it done. I'd rather have them do it when someone is focused on doing it properly, not slashing through it as fast as possible to get to something else that is urgent. They don't have many staff.

Just misc. info fwiw ... :grin

Eviejean
10-09-2015, 01:21 PM
FYI the all-Blab customer deletes haven't started yet, as they were working other issues with the new platform, and they let me know today there are a couple of points they want to review with me before they go ahead. I was not connected and didn't get the message till late. I'm thinking later this coming week, probably, working to get a firm date by Monday/Tuesday. With luck they are doing the individual requests as they are getting them. Sorry for the delay, but safe is best, and it will get done. :)

Maybe a little bit ... but I've made it clear that if I go ahead with a Panjo classifieds in any form, it will be separate from Blab. People will sign up independently and KNOW they are opting in. That's not a firm plan (there's a horse community that sells a lot of tack that might be the way to go). They did try to make contact Friday, had I been connected perhaps they would have got to it then, but I'm glad they did wait till we talked about whatever their question is.

But they really do have some programming issues with their new format that they have had to deal with urgently with their other customers. I have respected that, as nothing more is being done with the Blab end of it - no new ads, no emails, etc. We can give them some space and still get it done. I'd rather have them do it when someone is focused on doing it properly, not slashing through it as fast as possible to get to something else that is urgent. They don't have many staff.

Just misc. info fwiw ... :grin
I understand you've been respecting that PANJO had urgent issues with their other customers but it's been radio silence on this thread for nearly a week. Just checking to see if you've heard anything more on our (unasked for/unwanted) account deletions??
Thanks!

RobinHoodFan
10-09-2015, 03:23 PM
I understand you've been respecting that PANJO had urgent issues with their other customers but it's been radio silence on this thread for nearly a week. Just checking to see if you've heard anything more on our (unasked for/unwanted) account deletions??
Thanks!
:yeahthat...my account still exists 100%...

Mary
10-09-2015, 05:29 PM
Yes, sorry haven't been giving you the updates on the conversation as it could be a bit spammy when it is just questions back & forth, was waiting until there was a clear decision.

Panjo is in the process of deleting all Blab user accounts and emails. They are doing it in such a way that the threads on Blab are preserved, they just don't link to anything. Here's a link to an example Blab sales thread (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?168253-FOR-SALE-All-That-Razz-Sweet-Home-Chicago-SR). Click on the "link" and it goes nowhere. As those items become sold or inactive those threads will age out of 'active' Sales. I did a search on a Blab advertiser username (on Panjo) and it came up empty.

So some or all of the work has been done, at this point.

At this time, it's a bit confusing on the Blab page of Panjo itself. The photos are still there, looking as if they are ads, but if you click one there is no ad behind it. However, there are at present no links from Blab to that page, so it's very unlikely that people other than advertisers are accessing it. It will go down as this is completed.

If people are still finding their accounts exist by, say, the 15th, pm or email me and I'll follow up.

As I have time I will consolidate elements of the Sales forum. By moving all of the 'Classified' threads into Blab Eyes Only there will be no more ads on Blab visible to non-members (for the first time in Blab history, fwiw). :)

Northern Lone Ranger
10-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Yes, sorry haven't been giving you the updates on the conversation as it could be a bit spammy when it is just questions back & forth, was waiting until there was a clear decision.

Panjo is in the process of deleting all Blab user accounts and emails. They are doing it in such a way that the threads on Blab are preserved, they just don't link to anything. Here's a link to an example Blab sales thread (http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?168253-FOR-SALE-All-That-Razz-Sweet-Home-Chicago-SR). Click on the "link" and it goes nowhere. As those items become sold or inactive those threads will age out of 'active' Sales. I did a search on a Blab advertiser username (on Panjo) and it came up empty.

So some or all of the work has been done, at this point.

At this time, it's a bit confusing on the Blab page of Panjo itself. The photos are still there, looking as if they are ads, but if you click one there is no ad behind it. However, there are at present no links from Blab to that page, so it's very unlikely that people other than advertisers are accessing it. It will go down as this is completed.

If people are still finding their accounts exist by, say, the 15th, pm or email me and I'll follow up.

As I have time I will consolidate elements of the Sales forum. By moving all of the 'Classified' threads into Blab Eyes Only there will be no more ads on Blab visible to non-members (for the first time in Blab history, fwiw). :)

Thank you Mary for the update and all your work on this.
Lindy P

Truson
10-09-2015, 07:11 PM
That pretty much sums up my feelings. There is a certain level of trust here on Blab...the general public is now a minefield of a few bad apples interspersed with the good hobby folk. Less worry here.
Ann

Yep, same here.

Truson
10-09-2015, 07:14 PM
It's been so long since I even messed with Panjo since they had my nose so out of joint, but...how would I even check to see if my account still exists? I can't remember.

Eviejean
10-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks Mary for the update and the information.

unicornwoman
10-12-2015, 07:30 AM

Will this be permanent (all ads only Blab Eyes Only) or is it just a patch until we get this issue with Panjo fixed?

Mary
10-13-2015, 12:31 AM
Will this be permanent (all ads only Blab Eyes Only) or is it just a patch until we get this issue with Panjo fixed?

I don't see Panjo coming back. They are going in a different direction than what I discussed with them a year ago. They had a lot going for them, at the time were willing to work with us and could have done a lot for Blab sellers. But what they were talking about doing then just didn't happen and they are on a different track now.

So it goes. :sigh

Eviejean
10-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Panjo is in the process of deleting all Blab user accounts and emails. So some or all of the work has been done, at this point.
If people are still finding their accounts exist by, say, the 15th, pm or email me and I'll follow up. :)(original quote snipped by me...)

As a test, I tried to log into the account PANJO had set up for me.
When I used the username and temporary password they had assigned to me I got the message:

The username or password provided is incorrect.
So I am quite comfortable and confidant that this unasked for/unwanted account has been deleted.

Thank you for handling this Mary!

Mary
10-21-2015, 10:04 AM
You are welcome, but I am sorry it worked out this way. :sad