PDA

View Full Version : General question: Have you ever have a seller/buyer *unexpectedly* disappear?

Mary
10-12-2015, 11:55 PM
This question is general - please don't share any identities! Inspired by a thread about a real transaction.

Have you ever had the other party *unexpectedly* disappear? - did you ever find out what happened? - how did you find out?

Not thinking of times that someone was taking a chance on someone else and it didn't work out. Rather, thinking of the cases when there were excellent references, the transaction was going fine, and then the other side just stopped communicating and performing their side.

In fact, have you ever thought that this could be yourself - if that's something you care to think about? In a situation in which you were unable to fulfill a transaction, or even communicate abou tit, if you don't have anyone who can or will check for open transactions and then hopefully fulfill or cancel them.

If something happens that is sufficiently drastic in nature, anyone may find themselves unable to continue the transaction and not able to inform the other side. In fact, perhaps many of us are potentially in that situation if we don't have family/friends that know enough about what we do online to check to see what is still an open matter. Or who care to do so, possibly after a very unfortunate event.

Many years ago I had a very serious traffic accident on the open highway when the car in front of me did something really really dumb. My car was totaled, but due to airbags/seatbelts I wasn't hurt at all, miraculously. It was about an inch from me being killed. In the aftermath of that accident it came home to me which friends and even organizations I belonged to would wonder what had become of me and try to find out ... and which would not. I made some important changes in the people I spent time with - and still do. :) And I also realized that my family would never find my horse, or figure out what open online transactions I was engaged in! Made some documentary updates on that stuff. :grin

Schnauzer
10-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, excellent points to ponder, Mary. Last year, two days after BFest, my dad went into the hospital for the first time. He was in / out of the hospital Sept., Oct, and Nov. The first of Jan., we enrolled him in hospice. He was 24/7 full care for me. Unfortunately, I "fell off the planet" with a construction transaction that was underway. I had the wrong email address and my one update email bounced. But, all was well when we met up at BFest this year and completed things to both our satisfaction. It happens. But, no one in my family knows/cares about my hobby. I need to update my will anyway, so now would be a good time to establish a file for the models, transactions in progress, my online memberships and passwords and what to do with them. Thanks for this timely thread.
Ann

curlinfan
10-13-2015, 01:03 PM
I had someone who commissioned an etchie disappear. Gave me the model, paid for half upfront and responded to emails once it was finished. I went to post office and got shipping cost and let her know what final payment would be. Nothing in response. Never heard from her again. For months I sent emails, called her cell and tried to contact her through Facebook. Finally gave up and sold the etchie to someone else for what she owed me. I did get an email from someone who said the model was suppose to be a gift for her fiancÚ and they broke up. Don't know if that was true.

Eviejean
10-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Hmmm, excellent points to ponder, Mary. Last year, two days after BFest, my dad went into the hospital for the first time. He was in / out of the hospital Sept., Oct, and Nov. The first of Jan., we enrolled him in hospice. He was 24/7 full care for me. Unfortunately, I "fell off the planet" with a construction transaction that was underway. I had the wrong email address and my one update email bounced. But, all was well when we met up at BFest this year and completed things to both our satisfaction. It happens. But, no one in my family knows/cares about my hobby. I need to update my will anyway, so now would be a good time to establish a file for the models, transactions in progress, my online memberships and passwords and what to do with them. Thanks for this timely thread.
Ann
This is a good thread.

A couple of years ago, I had to unexpectedly go to the hospital and while there was the winner of an eBay auction. Luckily, I was not incapacitated and was able to talk my husband through everything to sign onto my PayPal to pay for my auction win. Hubby knows about eBay but does NOT know what I'm buying or selling on any given day. He also knows about the Model horse hobby but doesn't really know what's what with it.

I like your idea Ann and I, too, should have a file for my husband with online info should anything happen to me and he needs to dispose of anything/everything...

Ringil
10-14-2015, 01:38 AM
About two years ago I disappeared on a seller. I had finished time payments for a very pricey model ($500 range) and I ended up in the hospital for almost a month and nobody knew about the transaction. All I needed to do was send the poor seller my shipping address, but I was too upset and sick to even be thinking about ponies and it slipped my mind until I had my sister check my emails for something totally unrelated. I am still eternally grateful that the seller did not give up on me as a lost cause! Since then, I've kept both an online and written journal of ongoing transactions. This way, if it happens again, I can have family or friends get in contact with the correct people, be they buyers or sellers, and find a way to let them know what's going on.

unicornwoman
10-14-2015, 10:53 AM
I had a customer pay for an extremely customized western saddle and then die. Under the circumstances, I felt I had to refund the price to the estate and just eat the work/time. Fortunately, my FIL wanted the saddle, so it ended up being a gift that is now displayed in his house. Because he had it, I was able to borrow it when my leather guild did a display up at the National Cowgirl Museum. Normally, if I make it, it goes on the market and is gone. So I guess it worked out in the end.

Jasper
10-14-2015, 03:40 PM
I haven't had any serious issues (the transaction I'm having issues with is getting resolved. Will post in original thread, and how this subject got brought on). But it's something to keep in mind. I know I would like to keep an in depth folder of all my models. Especially their value. Should I pass away, I'd like my collection sold at it's value, and use it to pay off any of my expenses. I would worry my family would sell them waaayyy below what they are worth. Because, well....they don't know. And how would they? So it's something I've kept in mind for the past few years. Though I haven't really started it. I also plan on leaving instructions on how to sell, where to sell, and how to pack. It's just another project in my long list of things to do. Most people don't think I have anything to worry about at this moment. I am in my 30's. But anything can happen, and I want my horses going to good homes.