PDA

View Full Version : Testing the waters of taking commissions :)

T-Whinny Gal
11-10-2015, 06:41 PM
This is long, but maybe I will answer some questions you have right off the bat...

Thanks to numerous requests (and the recent purchase of a new saddle:)) I have decided to offer three painting slots at $300 each, to see if I want to continue doing commission work and also to see if I feel it is worth my time at this price. It may be that I never offer commissions again; if I do, or if I offer some for sale, it may be that the price will be higher. Dunno. This will be an experiment of sorts for me. So, for those who have asked, now's your opportunity…

HERE'S THE DEAL:

I paint ONLY APPALOOSA patterns. Doesn't matter to me what breed the model is, as long as the pattern is Appaloosa - the more chrome the better!
PORTRAITS of real Appaloosas is my specialty, but I will work from any other good photo references of your choice. (For portraits I will need more good sharp photos, from more angles, than for a "generic" paint job.)

I paint TRADITIONAL SIZE only - too hard for me to get all that Appy detail on a smaller one :)
YOU PROVIDE THE MODEL, PREPPED TO YOUR SATISFACTION* and ready to go…BUT NOT PRIMERED. I'll do that to make sure there's no bad reaction with the materials I use.

*However, if your ready-to-go model doesn't meet my standard of preparation, I will want to do additional sanding, carving of ears, hoof bottoms, etc. (for an additional charge) before proceeding. Of course, I will discuss it with you first.

DISCLAIMER: Be aware that I DO NOT claim or guarantee my finish work to be live show quality competitive, but rather view it as an artistic interpretation of the Appaloosa; beautifully capturing all the unique details that make an Appaloosa an Appaloosa - yet not with the meticulous hair-by-hair, tiny brush strokes that bas been the LSQ standard lately. Think of my style as "impressionism" as opposed to "photo realism." Just want you to know that before you commit to something you may not be happy with in the end. :)

(You may see examples of my recent work on this Blab thread http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/showthread.php?159299-Famous-Spots-in-Appaloosa-History/page139
or visit my Photo Bucket page http://s357.photobucket.com/user/AppyArtStudio/library/?sort=3&page=0
or my Facebook page (among other things) https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010216024920

Because I can usually complete one in 2-3 weeks, NO TIME PAYMENTS are accepted. I also will not require a deposit; instead, the charge of $300 +$20 for Shipping/Handling/Insurance will be due in full at the time of completion. Payment must be received before finished model is shipped back to you. I will try to use the same box and packaging in which you ship the body to me when I return the model to you - so pack well!

Payment to be by POSTAL MONEY ORDER ONLY at this time.

PROGRESS PICS will be emailed to you frequently and/or be posted on Blab if you agree to this.

If I don't receive payment OR hear from you, within TWO WEEKS OF NOTIFICATION OF COMPLETION, I will assume you have been abducted by aliens and will consider the model abandoned and it will become my personal property to keep, sell or dispose of as I see fit. (But I know you won't let it come to that, will you?:))

COMMUNICATION IS KEY! Seriously, if you run into a problem and can't meet the deadline, PLEASE let me know - we can work something out. I understand that life happens sometimes. :)

I reserve the right to use photos of your model as an example of my work in print and/or on the internet.

So, if all of the above conditions hasn't run you off, please contact me to talk about what you have in mind, or ask me more questions, and so we can exchange contact info. You can send me a private message here on Blab, or send an email to Twhinnyacres@gmail.com

In your message, please include your real name, and a contact phone number as a backup communication in case email goes AWOL.

ONE LAST COMMENT - Please do not send a model to me WITHOUT CONTACTING me first to assure that a slot is still available and we can make arrangements that are agreeable to us both, ok?

All that being said, I hope to hear from three of you soon. :)

Thanks in advance,
T.J. Hurst
Twhinnyacres@gmail.com

maryberry
11-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Yahoooooo!!!!!!! *happy dance*

maryberry
11-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Sent you an email!

T-Whinny Gal
11-10-2015, 10:08 PM
NOTICE: One slot is now taken. Thanks.

Beethovens7th
11-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Awesome! :yaymiller

rocket
11-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Woot best of luck, I am sure you shall get some more takers!

ALemon
11-11-2015, 12:41 AM
Appaloosa's are what my dreams are made of. I've been waiting and hoping for this, and of course i has no monies. Sigh

indigoleo
11-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Oh my goodness I have drooled over your fantastic Appys for ages! I know I have one horse sitting around waiting for new clothes. I have to see what else I've got!

T-Whinny Gal
11-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Slot number TWO is now spoken for - thank you!

turningthebarrel
11-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Oh how I wish I had the monies right now! I so want a portrait of my first Appaloosa!

Perhaps I can catch you next time you have an opening. :) Your work is beautiful!

Beethovens7th
11-11-2015, 12:24 PM
:wow Chelsea!!:jawdrop:bigeyes:zow What-in-the-world-color do you call that??!

turningthebarrel
11-11-2015, 12:42 PM
:wow Chelsea!!:jawdrop:bigeyes:zow What-in-the-world-color do you call that??!

I always called her just black and white...with a flaxen mane and tail. I always thought that she was oddly beautiful. :) I had her when I was 11. She was the most beautiful horse (in my opinion) that I have ever owned. But, she also had the worst attitude of any horse that I had ever owned. Haha But she still holds a special place in my heart. :adore

kitty
11-11-2015, 02:31 PM
congrats to all who got those painting slots! boy oh boy....one of these days I will get one of those drool worthy paint jobs on something,i hope.

NicoleL
11-11-2015, 03:34 PM
I always called her just black and white...with a flaxen mane and tail. I always thought that she was oddly beautiful. :) I had her when I was 11. She was the most beautiful horse (in my opinion) that I have ever owned. But, she also had the worst attitude of any horse that I had ever owned. Haha But she still holds a special place in my heart. :adore

So is that you in the pictures? Did his coat pattern change? In the first shot he looks like the blanket is complete but in the 2nd picture there looks to be some "chunks" taken out of the white on his right loin. Maybe it's just the angle...?

Either way, he is a gorgeous horse. I had a leopard appaloosa when I was younger but he was dull-looking compared to yours.

JulieB
11-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Great to see those slots filling up!!! One day....one day, if you have more slots open in the future....I will find a way to get one. :)

T-Whinny Gal
11-11-2015, 04:38 PM

WOW - she's a beauty! I would call her a "chocolate palomino" but I don't know if that is an officially recognized color or not - but sure is pretty! And I would LOVE to get to paint her. Maybe next time, huh?

T-Whinny Gal
11-11-2015, 04:47 PM
WOW - she's a beauty! I would call her a "chocolate palomino" but I don't know if that is an officially recognized color or not - but sure is pretty! And I would LOVE to get to paint her. Maybe next time, huh?

She's like this, only better 'cause she's an Appaloosa :grin...
http://ryouhill.weebly.com/rs-black-chocolate-chez.html

Regy
11-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Oh I wish I had $425AUD On me, I would have loved to have gotten my Mum's old gelding painted. but sadly we only have one printed photo left of him :(

Your work is Amazing !!

T-Whinny Gal
11-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Slot number 3 is tentatively taken! If it should fall through I will post here and let y'all know. Thanks so much for the warm and wonderful response to me as a first-time commissioner :hugg :shy

T-Whinny Gal
11-13-2015, 12:25 PM
All 3 painting slots are definitely spoken for now. THANK YOU SO MUCH! - TJ

solticeart
11-13-2015, 01:36 PM
cool! I'm glad your finally taking commissions.

T-Whinny Gal
11-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Well, so far, so good I think. I hope I'M still glad later on - LOL! One model has already been shipped out headed my way and the others are in communication and will come later at nice intervals from each other. That works out nicely, so I'm not stressed or overwhelmed to "get it done, get it done!" and I should have plenty of time to finish the first one before the other one arrives. Of course I can work simultaneously. But, yeah, this might turn out to be a great thing. And, ya know, I STILL hold you partly to blame for getting me into all this - :grin

solticeart
11-13-2015, 10:38 PM
ahahahaha hey I think you will thank me later! really I think your more than ready for it. Hell your faster than the majority of painters as it is! As for me you don't ever want me to paint anything cause I'm super slow... even sculpting I'm slow but I think because I work on multiple things at one time or I tend to get bored or frustrated. I really do miss painting and doing flat art though. I might even slow down on the sculpting or at least taking commissions and try to get in some painting, on my sale and personal pieces and some fat art. I have some ideas I'd like to do but never have time so I need to find it.
Your going to do fine though! I think being able to do one in 2 weeks is more than wonderful! and hey if it takes longer don't stress As long as you let the client know whats going on and I know you and your great at contacting people then they would be more than understanding if something is taking longer or life happens and your taking longer than usual. Your not one to go harry cary and take too much work on at once and then get overwhelmed either, and I think taking 3 only before ding more is really good. If you do that I think your going to be fine.
So I wish you luck and I know your going to do great and yes you will thank me! hahahaha or want to kick me for getting you into a full time job lol.. hugs to ya ((((*)))))

rocket
11-13-2015, 11:10 PM
We had nothing to do with it, your talent did, that and buying a new saddle....*runs and hides*

maryberry
11-14-2015, 01:19 AM
You can to take as much time as you need to work on Harley!
I'm just so excited to finally have a piece by you!!! :woohoo:party

T-Whinny Gal
11-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Thanks all. I'm getting really excited about doing these as well.