PDA

View Full Version : Lost contact with painter - What do I do?

Mam
11-17-2015, 03:06 PM
At Breyerfest I purchased two blank mini resins from a room sale. The seller told me she wanted $200 for the resins, paint jobs, and shipping fees. I agreed and paid in full that day.
She said she had some commissions to work on and probably wouldn't get my resins finished until November. Knowing how long it takes for a good paint job I said it was fine. We agreed on colors, she wrote me a receipt then I went on my way.

No contact was made until I emailed her on October 14th asking if she had started painting the resins. She responded with this -
"I am painting them and I am about finished but I think I've made a mistake. I did try calling you on the --- number. Anyhoo, the mini Ted in Cheney looks like you wanted it away with minimal white and right now he is a chestnut with minimum white.. I do have pictures if you would like to see. I think he is very lovely. It's your decision whether you want me to change him or not. I will send you photos. The other reason many is the mini Harry Oberon that was supposed to be a chestnut. He supposed to have a flaxen mane and tail. Would you like me to make him a bay? Or a Silver Bay with a silverish white flaxen mane and tail? It doesn't say anything about markings on him. Okay I will send you the photos, and let you decide if you want me to change the color of the change to the bay! Thank you so much I'm hoping to make my deadline of November 15th 2015."

The day I bought them the mini Ted had a half finished chestnut paint job. I told her I wanted him to be a bay with minimal white. She agreed and said she would change the color. The Oberon was a blank body and we agreed on a belgian palomino color. Pictures that were sent with the email only showed the mini Ted...with the same half finished chestnut paint job. No pictures of Oberon were sent.
I responded -

"The hairy oberon was planned to be the color of a Belgian (blonde? palomino? I'm not sure what to call it). There is a picture of the color I'm thinking of attached. Mini Ted was bay with minimal white. There is a picture for that attached as well. For the ribbons I was thinking purple. I am so excited to see them finished! The photos look great so far, and will be amazing when they are finished!"

The phone number I had given her at Breyerfest was my my mom's. It was an accident, and I gave her my number and said she could call me after 6 when I would be out of class. No phone call happened.
She then told me I had the wrong email address and gave me another one to use....even though it was the same one I was using.

Fast forward to November 3rd. I emailed her to ask about the progress. No response.
Sometime around here I added her on Facebook hoping to see some pictures of my resins on her page. There is one that shows the mini Ted..still with a half finished chestnut paint job. Thinking it was an old picture I just kept hoping to see progress. Many pictures have been posted of horses that have been started and finished in the time between our emails.

She then had a "page cleanup" and deleted several people that were not active on her page. I was one of them.

Today - November 17
I sent her a message on Facebook asking about the progress.

"I sent you an email about my two resins (Oberon and Ted) several weeks ago. I have not received a response and would like to know how you are progressing with painting them. Were the pictures I sent you helpful for the color we are aiming for?
Please send me some pictures of your progress and let me know when they will be completed."

I don't want to annoy her with so many messages, but I am beginning to get frustrated that it is taking so long. Yes we agreed on November, but she has posted multiple photos of new horses that have been done in just a few weeks. Not receiving any progress pictures is also making me worry they have not been started. What should I do? This is the first time I have had models painted by someone else. If she does not respond how would I get my models?

At this point I want to tell her to send me the bodies and refund the cost of the paint jobs. Since the Ted was already half painted when I bought him would it be reasonable?

Please give me some advice.

Mam
11-17-2015, 03:06 PM
My name is Mallory Meadows. Forgot It was not in my signature anymore.

Miss Kitty
11-21-2015, 07:56 PM
She wrote the horses should be finished by Nov.15th, it's now a week later. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't bug her with Messages and eMails. She's the one who owes you two finished horses, or at least in progress pictures of said models, so you really shouldn't feel bad about spamming her Inbox or wasting her time. :hugg
You should still be able to send her Messages on facebook, by the way, even if she unfriended you there. As long as she doesn't block you or has the Message system for non-friends deactivated, she'll receive them. And you will be able to see if - and when - she reads them.
Since you didn't pay via Paypal, there's not much you could do about filing a claim or anything like that, I'm afraid. :dunno

Mary
11-23-2015, 01:09 PM
She wrote the horses should be finished by Nov.15th, it's now a week later. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't bug her with Messages and eMails. She's the one who owes you two finished horses, or at least in progress pictures of said models, so you really shouldn't feel bad about spamming her Inbox or wasting her time. :hugg
You should still be able to send her Messages on facebook, by the way, even if she unfriended you there. As long as she doesn't block you or has the Message system for non-friends deactivated, she'll receive them. And you will be able to see if - and when - she reads them.
Since you didn't pay via Paypal, there's not much you could do about filing a claim or anything like that, I'm afraid. :dunno

I agree with Miss Kitty entirely.

No reason not to keep trying, on a daily or every-other-day basis. :)

Mam
11-28-2015, 11:56 AM
We have had some sparse contact since this was posted, with the finish date pushed back again to the 28th. Hopefully they will be finished soon. :ever

Thanks for letting me know I'm not over reacting with so many emails. I'll keep trying to contact her.