PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette/rules for failing eChecks? alert Jessica Swarthout breyermom82 (& Autumn)

Makoshika
11-28-2015, 06:03 PM
I wasn't sure if this should go in Lookers or Transactions, so please move if needed.

I had a new buyer (3 feedbacks) use the Buy It Now on my Breyer Thunderstorm on Nov. 21. They paid right away via eCheck, but as of this morning, it had failed to clear twice. I state in my auction that I need payment within 7 days. I've messaged the buyer twice through eBay throughout the week and they haven't responded. So I canceled the transaction in Paypal, attached a note as to why, and opened a case in eBay this morning. EBay says they have 7 days to pay from when I opened the case. This afternoon my buyer sent another eCheck.

Does this count in the eBay case as "payment" as it is, or does the eCheck have 7 days to clear and then the case closes if it doesn't? My eBay Selling page says the case is still open, but I'm worried it just hasn't updated. If it doesn't clear will I have to open another case? CAN I open another case? Do I have to give an additional 7 days or can I just cancel the whole thing? (And lose my fees.) I've tried searching the eBay community forums, but my searches are only bringing up threads from 2012 and older.

(I'm also nervous that it will clear, I'll ship the model and then my Buyer will cancel the payment. I'm just not feeling good about this transaction.)

I've never had this happen before, so I have no idea what to expect. I had hoped to have the model sold in time for Christmas shopping. :( Honestly, I'm regretting listing the horse at all. :(

Makoshika
11-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Update: The transaction has been canceled, but the Buyer left me negative feedback! :somad

LadyPhaseCrazy
11-29-2015, 11:06 AM
If I remember correctly, PayPal advises sellers NOT to ship until AFTER and e-check clears, if it does. I personally don't accept e-checks and will cancel a transaction if a buyer tries to send me one. For yours to leave you negative feedback is uncalled for.

Laura Walker

BearsnBugs
11-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Definitely go back to eBay about the negative feedback.

LeeAnn
11-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Yes, call eBay and they can remove the negative for you :) Sorry this happened! :hugg

emt8134
11-29-2015, 02:52 PM
I thought once given a negative couldn't be removed? I just got my first for sending a Breyer in his blue/white shipping box. The box had the Reeves label and postage label so we put our labels over the top. I got negative feedback for ruining a "collectible" box. (?)

LeeAnn
11-29-2015, 02:56 PM
I thought once given a negative couldn't be removed? I just got my first for sending a Breyer in his blue/white shipping box. The box had the Reeves label and postage label so we put our labels over the top. I got negative feedback for ruining a "collectible" box. (?)

If it's slanderous or otherwise not deserved then you can explain the issue to eBay and they'll remove it. I would call them about that too - that's ridiculous.

Mary
11-29-2015, 03:47 PM

Doesn't Reeves also send them with the white box with blue design as the outer box? I must say it never crossed my mind that box was a collectable! :lol

freakofnature
11-29-2015, 07:17 PM
What!?!??! That's just ridiculous! :doh

Brenda
11-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Since when is the Breyer shipping box collectible? :haha

i agree with the others who've suggested going to eBay to have the negative removed. From what I can see, you didn't do anything to warrant it. Their first echeck was denied. They didn't respond to your attempts at contact about it. In my opinion, echecks should be treated like a personal check and the item shouldn't be shipped until the check clears.

Kathe
11-29-2015, 07:41 PM

:wtf

Makoshika
11-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback on my situation. :hugg It looks like since they never paid, eBay will remove the negative feedback within 24 hours. If eBay hasn't removed it within that time, I'm suppose to call. :crossfingers

Brenda
11-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks for all the feedback on my situation. :hugg It looks like since they never paid, eBay will remove the negative feedback within 24 hours. If eBay hasn't removed it within that time, I'm suppose to call. :crossfingers

That's good to hear. Some people just make me scratch my head. :haha

onekindacowboy
11-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Keep us updated as to if it does disappear or if you have to call. I like to know these type of answers for future transactions.

Trying to do things on mobile devices is very handy but I have found that I often make "mistakes" when relying on them because you sometimes don't get the whole picture.

I can't believe she left negative after an echeck not clearing. I would be so embarrased and begging forgiveness from the seller if that happened to me...even if it was somehow the banks fault and not my own that the funds weren't available.

As to the breyer shipping box being collectible. Wow the things you learn ;) seriously that is crazy on the buyers end. Do they just not know? Maybe they have never ordered from Breyer. Were you supposed to triple box? Heck I ship omg OTHER models besides what came in them in them...wonder what kind of feedback I would get for that.

horsefreak
11-29-2015, 11:07 PM
Negative feedback after an eCheck didn’t clear, and for a shipping box…seriously? Wow.

emt8134
11-29-2015, 11:11 PM
My thought on the box was if you wanted it for a gift or whatever just add a message when you paid. I would have accomodated as i have plenty of Breyer shipping boxes and some didnt have labels. Then i would have popped it in a priority box and thete you go! I havent said anything yet to her, but was a little hurt she didnt contact me prior to the feedback.

Mary
11-30-2015, 05:05 PM
My thought on the box was if you wanted it for a gift or whatever just add a message when you paid. I would have accomodated as i have plenty of Breyer shipping boxes and some didnt have labels. Then i would have popped it in a priority box and thete you go! I havent said anything yet to her, but was a little hurt she didnt contact me prior to the feedback.

Maybe you can mail her an empty Breyer box? Packed inside another box? :haha

If you have a clean one. I don't think I've ever seen a Breyer box that didn't sport a shipping label and a few dings. :grintongue

Makoshika
11-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Keep us updated as to if it does disappear or if you have to call. I like to know these type of answers for future transactions.
I ended up calling eBay and I have to say I was VERY impressed with their customer service person. He did remove the negative and he told me to NOT use the Cancel Transaction option for bad eChecks. I had used it because it was the only choice that specifically mentioned "non-clearing payment". He said to always use the Unpaid Item option in the Resolution Center and to let the eCheck continue to fail until the Unpaid Item case closes. The buyer will not be able to leave feedback after it closes and negative feedback would automatically be removed if it had already been left.

I now have one more person added to my Blocked Bidders list and I'm very happy this fiasco is over. :thumbsup

Brenda
11-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Oh good. I'm glad they were able to help.

Eviejean
12-01-2015, 10:02 AM
I ended up calling eBay and I have to say I was VERY impressed with their customer service person. He did remove the negative and he told me to NOT use the Cancel Transaction option for bad eChecks. I had used it because it was the only choice that specifically mentioned "non-clearing payment". He said to always use the Unpaid Item option in the Resolution Center and to let the eCheck continue to fail until the Unpaid Item case closes. The buyer will not be able to leave feedback after it closes and negative feedback would automatically be removed if it had already been left.

I now have one more person added to my Blocked Bidders list and I'm very happy this fiasco is over. :thumbsup

Glad this is over for you!

I'm going to send you a PM to get this eBay-er's id so I can block them!
There's been a rash of Breyer buyers with e-checks bouncing lately!
(check the recent MHHR posts)

onekindacowboy
12-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the follow up. Good to know what to do if this situation arises.

Makoshika
12-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Update for those still following. Mary asked me to post the name and eBay ID of my problem buyer: Her name is Jessica Swarthout and the eBay ID she used to purchase from me is breyermom82

Mary
12-02-2015, 11:42 AM
I am linking to this MHHR thread alerting to Jessica Swarthout (some people may search on Swartout in error), ebay id breyermom82 (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MHHR/conversations/topics/96774). There is more information there.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Amber. It does help the hobby, and I am so sorry you had to deal with it.

JoeCool
12-02-2015, 05:21 PM
is this the same person....

http://modelhorsesalespages.com/view.asp?id=1200773

http://modelhorsesalespages.com/view.asp?id=1200772

same last name, different first name.

Mary
12-02-2015, 06:37 PM
is this the same person....

http://modelhorsesalespages.com/view.asp?id=1200773

http://modelhorsesalespages.com/view.asp?id=1200772

same last name, different first name.

Does someone who knows Jessica Swarthout know if she also uses the first name Autumn? From first-hand information ...

Eviejean
12-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Can I link a MHHR post here?
There's information about the name Autumn Swarthout

(I can't post it myself, as I don't have the first-hand knowledge.)

Mary
12-03-2015, 11:49 AM
Can I link a MHHR post here?
There's information about the name Autumn Swarthout

(I can't post it myself, as I don't have the first-hand knowledge.)

Yes, it is just fine to link to MHHR. Readers keep in mind that MHHR has different standards on what may be shared than does Blab. :)

Breyerfrenzy
12-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Autumn Swarthout is Jessica Swarthout's daughter....definitely avoid doing any transactions with these folks! Used to be good customers of mine but just recently burned me for almost $900 in bad checks and have been doing the same to quite a few others with e-checks!!

Tiffiny Poole
The Curiosity Shoppe
Jacksonville, FL

Eviejean
12-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Thanks Tiffiny!
That was the MHHR link I was going to post! :thumbsup