PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for Craig's List reply

Angiet
12-09-2015, 07:00 PM
I am selling a few items on craigs list and I received this reply to a response to one of my ads. It just brings flashing red lights to me and I feel it is a scam. I would love your opinion on what you think.

Here is a copy of the email I received:

-----Thanks for your prompt response, actually I am sorry that I could not longer come to pick it in person as planned, I actually just had a change in my work schedule but I believe am OK with the condition as seen on the advert as well as the price stated. I am ready to make instant purchase with my mode of payment would being a Certified Bank Check via Postal service Express mail or UPS overnight delivery.

I'll arrange for a local pick up as soon as you receive check, cashed it and have your money in hand, I promise you everything will go smoothly as I would like to have it before my wedding anniversary which comes in a week.Kindly get back to me with your

Full Name,
Full mailing Address,
Cell Phone,
Last price,

As soon as this is provided, payment will be overnight to you and I will let you know once mailed out with tracking number sent to you. I will also add an additional $50 for holding it for me till the Check gets to you and delete the posting from the List.Thanks and I hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hear from you.----

One of the things that really screams scam is that the person wanted me to give the best offer I could and then they add $50 to the total. And why can't the person they are sending to do a pick up give me cash.

Thanks for you input.

DooWiki
12-09-2015, 07:02 PM
The additional $50 is DEFINITELY a scam.

BuckR.
12-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Also, their grammar needs a little bit of work. I would never meet someone like this. Why not ask if they have Paypal? Tell them you'll ship the horses to them. The shipping must be less than the $50 they offered over and above, so if they're legit, they'll be glad to do that. If they won't go for that, then they're blowing smoke. Also, I ONLY accept Postal Money orders. ONLY. Never accept anything else. Any person has either PayPal or access to a PO for a MO.

Angiet
12-09-2015, 07:09 PM
That is totally what I thought. It is for magazines. So shipping media rate would be cheaper anyway.

DooWiki
12-09-2015, 07:14 PM
Unless you're brave enough and have a neutral address local for scam-baiting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scam_baiting), don't even bother responding. The goal is to get you to cash a bogus payment, have you write a legitimate check from your account for the extra cash, and ship it to their address. Then you're out the product and the extra cash. If you respond with alternate solutions, they'll keep phishing for a plan that works.

JohyH
12-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Definitely a scam. I got pretty much the same email a week or so ago when we listed a vehicle on Craigslist. Some of the big details where changed but for the most part it sounds exactly the same. I wouldn't even bother to reply (I didn't).

Brenda
12-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Definitely a scam. The person saying they could no longer pick up the item in person and wants to send someone in their place just smacks of a scam.

SeaWatch
12-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Yes - I agree with everyone else... It screams of scam to me. :tsktsk

BTW, here in South FL, they say that something like 1/3 of all Craigslist inquirers are scammers, or people wanting to rob you. They recommend that all sales/purchases be done in person at the lobby of a local police station. Seriously, we have many police stations that actually encourage folks to do their in-person sales/purchases at their locations. :yes They feel that only honest folks will actually show up to make the purchases, when the meeting place is at a police station!

Angiet
12-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the confirmation that my initial feelings were spot on.

Mary
12-09-2015, 07:59 PM
TTB normally does not like people labeling "scam" because we often don't know the whole story ...

... but this one gets a waiver! :grin

Offering payment by check (or even cashier's check), for more than the price of the item, and assuring the seller they will have "cash", is a huge red flag. There are several ways this can go wrong. This purchase proposal seems to be hitting every trigger alert for an unsafe transaction. :)

Eviejean
12-09-2015, 08:28 PM

BTW, here in South FL, they say that something like 1/3 of all Craigslist inquirers are scammers, or people wanting to rob you. They recommend that all sales/purchases be done in person at the lobby of a local police station. Seriously, we have many police stations that actually encourage folks to do their in-person sales/purchases at their locations. :yes They feel that only honest folks will actually show up to make the purchases, when the meeting place is at a police station!

I never heard of this before (meeting at a police station lobby to hand off a Cragislist transaction) but I have to say I think it's a brilliant idea!

Kathe
12-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Definitely a scam.

I get a response similar to this one every time I sell our Colts tickets on Craigslist. Every time. It gets really old. :somad

ALemon
12-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Scam. Have seen, dealt with, several instances of the basic format.

RobinHoodFan
12-10-2015, 12:02 PM

Oh that's a great idea about meeting at a police station! Or at least near one (don't know if they like you parking and doing transactions in their lot). I had posted something the other day on a local thrift site and said I'd meet in a bank parking lot for pickup (figuring banks must have surveillance around their building as extra precautions)...but I like the police station idea better!

juliacodeman
12-10-2015, 01:07 PM
I just cannot believe they keep trying to do this.. I mean seriously. They actually sent this to me when I was selling professional gym equipment, and asked if they could give me extra to just "ship" it. Like i can take a garage full of equipment and put it in a box.

Once, when I gave the person my address, they mailed me a fake check, and said there would be someone by to pick up the item-they were snowboards. I emailed them sure, no problem, then waited for hte check to come. When it came, I could wipe off the ink with my finger-it was a fake check. Needless to say the sender got the tracking and immediately started to try to "send his freight" to pick up-I said um hell no and tore his fake check up and emailed him a picture of it, then reported him. It is so rampant on Craigslist.

BuckR.
12-10-2015, 01:21 PM
When I was younger... and very naive, I saw someone was selling their collection on Craigslist. We struck up a trade, and had a lot of nice emails going back and forth. She was very pleasant and nice. She was at Breyerfest at the time of our correspondence.
To put it simply, I sent her a porcelain Si Se Ca and a porcelain Othello, both with boxes. She never shipped her horses. I emailed her many, many times, asking her to ship. Finally, she emailed me back, saying she did not get anything from me. Tracking said otherwise. Refused to talk to me afterwards. Turns out, she stole the pictures that she posted on CR from a collector whom I am familiar with now. Sheould have see that one coming.
I later found more horses in a different city, and emailed on them. She answered (she has a unique nickname). Once I mentioned paying with Paypal, she disappeared.

Hellen
12-10-2015, 02:35 PM
I am selling a few items on craigs list and I received this reply to a response to one of my ads. It just brings flashing red lights to me and I feel it is a scam. I would love your opinion on what you think.

Here is a copy of the email I received:

-----Thanks for your prompt response, actually I am sorry that I could not longer come to pick it in person as planned, I actually just had a change in my work schedule but I believe am OK with the condition as seen on the advert as well as the price stated. I am ready to make instant purchase with my mode of payment would being a Certified Bank Check via Postal service Express mail or UPS overnight delivery.

I'll arrange for a local pick up as soon as you receive check, cashed it and have your money in hand, I promise you everything will go smoothly as I would like to have it before my wedding anniversary which comes in a week.Kindly get back to me with your

Full Name,
Full mailing Address,
Cell Phone,
Last price,

As soon as this is provided, payment will be overnight to you and I will let you know once mailed out with tracking number sent to you. I will also add an additional $50 for holding it for me till the Check gets to you and delete the posting from the List.Thanks and I hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hear from you.----

One of the things that really screams scam is that the person wanted me to give the best offer I could and then they add $50 to the total. And why can't the person they are sending to do a pick up give me cash.

Thanks for you input.

The first two sentences are a dead giveaway that it's a scam.

Hellen
12-10-2015, 02:37 PM

That's a great idea!

lifeishorsesarelove
12-10-2015, 02:50 PM
I'm automatically suspicious of any classified ad response that doesn't directly mention what "the item" or "it" is. Because the scams almost never do name the product, since they use the same form for anything and everything.

dizzyriss
12-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Definitely a scam. I was selling a real horse a few years back and I received a very similar email. Except they said "condition of the item" and they wanted to "arrange shipping of the item." He's a horse for goodness sakes! :doh

Whinnie
12-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Definitely a scam. I was selling a real horse a few years back and I received a very similar email. Except they said "condition of the item" and they wanted to "arrange shipping of the item." He's a horse for goodness sakes! :doh

yup, the horse I am buying, she got that e-mail. Asking if "it" was in good condtion, and when she replied, they asked her to ship it directly to them.

Angiet
12-10-2015, 05:40 PM
I actually emailed the person back and mentioned a few of my concerns and haven't heard back. LOL

BayMagic
12-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Ugh. These scams. :( A girl I work with got taken for one of these. It was heartbreaking because hers was for a car. She "sold" her car, used the money to buy a new one right away, and of course the check was fake and she ended up being in debt to her bank over it.

Mary
12-10-2015, 08:56 PM
I get these emails on my Blab email all the time. "I'm inquiring re your website Model Horse Blab. I would like to order a bulk shipment of your product ... will arrange for shipping ..." They always emphasize this will be a LARGE and important order. Of Blab-ness.

I think they are assuming that all websites are selling some kind of product? Of course I delete these without even thinking about it ... maybe I should post one on Blab, with the email address it's coming from, to make it available to anyone who wants to play around with them. :grintongue

tinnggg
12-11-2015, 07:30 PM
I get these emails on my Blab email all the time. "I'm inquiring re your website Model Horse Blab. I would like to order a bulk shipment of your product ... will arrange for shipping ..." They always emphasize this will be a LARGE and important order. Of Blab-ness.

I think they are assuming that all websites are selling some kind of product? Of course I delete these without even thinking about it ... maybe I should post one on Blab, with the email address it's coming from, to make it available to anyone who wants to play around with them. :grintongue

Guess we could glitter bomb them.

Brenda
12-11-2015, 07:58 PM

You our could send them photocopies...in bulk...of one of the threads here.

Mary
12-12-2015, 12:09 AM
You our could send them photocopies...in bulk...of one of the threads here.

One of those 600+ page threads ... with no pictures. :grintongue :2spy

dizzyriss
12-13-2015, 05:39 PM

:lmao That's good

DooWiki
12-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Guess we could glitter bomb them.

:woohoo:lmao:clap:bow YES!
Include a tree trunk and ship COD!