PDA

View Full Version : Question: Lynn Norbury

marniewings
12-14-2015, 02:55 PM
I have a question and need some advice. On november 17th 2015 my mom sent lynn 50 dollars to hold the lisa rivera wph. the model is 500 dollars. She took the ad down off the MHSP and after we sent the deposit, never really emailed us about the status or anything to check in. My mom sent her an email yesterday and she hadn't replied, yet when I sent one she finally replied coming across as rather rudely. (I had simply asked what the status is on the horse as we haven't heard from her and that we have seen a lot of red lights against her) she posted back:

I don't know who you are to come across to me in this manner. I have had no communication with you on the Rivera WPH. I have the horse on hold, but not with you. You keep referring to "we" in your email, so I am thinking you may be somehow involved with the deal on him. Even if that is the case, you have no right or reason to be so huffy and demanding with me. I am not in default on the terms, in fact, I have been more than lenient with the person I have been dealing with. I will email the person I have been dealing with on this to get this cleared up, but I can't discuss an arrangement I made with someone to a third party not knowing the situation.

Now, mind you she NEVER emailed us to check in either. Now i am terrified to send this woman the rest of the money on this horse and we will have a problem getting this model shipped to us after reading what happened to jenny here on the blab. So if she didn't hear from us why didn't she email us to check in on whats going on as my mom had told her the arrangement to pay. YET she never responded to my moms email yet she posted to me. What should i do i'm really nervous about this knowing her history.

can someone help thanks

BuckR.
12-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Hey, when you and your mom sent her emails, did you use different email address? She might not recognize you or your email address if your mom used hers to set the deal up with her. Just an idea.

marniewings
12-14-2015, 03:06 PM
yeah. i sent her an email explaining who i was (her daughter). But she didn't reply to my mom as my mom had been at work and wanted me to ask her what the status was

BuckR.
12-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Yes, I would definitely see if she emails your mother to 'clear it all up', as she said. Then, if she does not email your mom, you know something's not right. Can you pay her with Paypal at all? It's safer than a MO. Have her send you an invoice through Paypal, and have her detail the horse's name and condition in it too. That's so much safer!

marniewings
12-14-2015, 03:12 PM
my mom is gonna email her yes. We did pay her with paypal for the deposit. But i am so scared to send her this 450 for this model and we have a problem getting the horse shipped. this is a lot of money and i've read all the red lights against her.

BuckR.
12-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Yes, I would definitely be very, very cautious. Have her send you an invoice before you pay the $450. Make sure the horse is detailed in the description and his condition is there too. Then, and only then should you pay. If she won't ship him, or he arrives in bad shape, you ca easily get a refund through Paypal. Sorry this is happening to you!!

marniewings
12-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it! ^.^

Mary
12-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Yes, I would definitely be very, very cautious. Have her send you an invoice before you pay the $450. Make sure the horse is detailed in the description and his condition is there too. Then, and only then should you pay. If she won't ship him, or he arrives in bad shape, you ca easily get a refund through Paypal. Sorry this is happening to you!!

Agreed.

I would not under any circumstances send any more money until you and she are both completely clear and on the same page about the transaction. Definitely not if she is denying she knows you or that she received your deposit. Even if it is just a mix-up of identity between you and your mom, until it is sorted out and you and/or your mom have clearly agreed terms, I would not proceed.

Given her response, I think you and your mom should make sure all communications and any money sent are clearly from just one of you, whoever Lynn recognizes as the primary party for the transaction. That should reduce the confusion and may reduce any delays.

It sounds as if you would like very much to have this model. In your place I would weigh that carefully against everything you know. :)

marniewings
12-14-2015, 06:59 PM
I agree mary. thank you so much for helping. I appreciate it. We decided not to go through with the transaction. We are too nervous to drop 500 bucks and possibly NOT get the horse. then she's said 45 in shipping, making the total we would've owned 498. that makes no sense what so ever! it doesn't cost 45 to ship from the US. lol!! I appreciate all the help you guys have given

BuckR.
12-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Yes, way to suspicious for me. Even if she insured it, it would not amount to that much - unless she was located in the mountain time zone or the west. I hope you can get your deposit back!!

onekindacowboy
12-14-2015, 07:17 PM
Actually I have had models come to $45 for priority shipping with insurance. If the box is over 12 inches and is lightweight and has to be flown to reach its destination there is a significant surcharge from the postal service.

kobold
12-14-2015, 09:35 PM
The last resin I sent USPS had a $20 surcharge put on it for being "fragile", so it was $45.60 or so to ship!!!! Yikes!!!! That was new to me.

Alicia Strayer-Mangan

isalrae
12-16-2015, 02:18 PM
I definitely have had a lot of models come up as that expensive to ship priority if the box is large enough. Like onekindacowboy said, over 12x12x12 inches and with a ways to go, I've had boxes reach $40+ to ship if I want them there in a few days, especially if you put extra insurance on it. Boxes under or around 12x12x12 inches are usually only $10-15 to ship priority. Standard shipping the boxes (about 5-7 days delivery) about the weight of one model and over 12x12x12 inches are generally, for me, also $10-15.

So all in all, if the box would be over 12x12x12 inches, and shipped Priority (2-3 day delivery), it's not unusual that it would total over $40. If it's being shipped Standard, then that would be unusual. At least, in my experience.

marniewings
12-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks. But due to her rep we had decided not to go through with it. We are too nervous about possibly not getting the horse after i read how she takes a LONG time to ship plus 500 is a lot of money to hand out and the risk factor be a bit too high. <3 i appreciate everyones input though!

Brenda
12-16-2015, 04:33 PM
That's probably the smart thing to do. Bummer you're losing out on your deposit, though.

Eviejean
12-16-2015, 05:10 PM
my mom is gonna email her yes. We did pay her with paypal for the deposit. But i am so scared to send her this 450 for this model and we have a problem getting the horse shipped. this is a lot of money and i've read all the red lights against her.

That's probably the smart thing to do. Bummer you're losing out on your deposit, though.

If the OP paid her deposit with PayPal she can request a refund can't she?
The deposit was paid in November so it's within the time frame for PayPal, right?

VWK'sanEasyGoer
12-16-2015, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear about you losing your deposit. A person not responding to emails after taking a deposit is a red flag IMO.

As a long time buyer of model horses here's a few tips I think help a lot:

It's very important to be crystal clear in any communications with someone when buying something especially if it's expensive. Make sure you state every fact clearly such as price, model, method and cost of shipping, mode of payment and when it's sent, request a response that it's been received and such. The more information that's clear in the beginning of a transaction then the less chance of a "misunderstanding" or issue happening. The fact that your Mom has bought the model but then you were emailing her can cause a bit of confusion. This is not a reason for a seller to be rude of course, but perhaps making the seller aware in the beginning there are the two of you involved in the transaction will give them less reason to complain and such.

Paying with Paypal and having that protection is very important too. Keep all your communications with sellers until the transaction is finished and the big rule of thumb is "if it feels funny, don't do it". There will always be another model to buy right? :)