PDA

View Full Version : Alert on buyer "Sarah Webber"

Zafirica Studios
12-15-2015, 01:08 PM
Just a heads up to you folks that [someone] calling themself "Sarah Webber" is making rounds again. We had several emails back and forth about the set condition, and then they dropped this gem:

"Thanks for mailing back,Am Okay with the price,i'm an honest and straight person and always want to be treat the same way, are you sure of the item condition? this is only what can make me to be worry, cause I will not be able to come overview and look at it, i am an Marine Engineer and i am buying this item for my Aunt, i am at sea right now,and I can only pay through Paypal and you can put the Paypal charges on me because as at present, i don't have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my Paypal account,and this is why am using Paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments i have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up, after payments has been sorted and will also handle the paper works. Where is the exact location for the pickup? So that I can contact the pick up agent with your location to know how much it will cost me for the pick up, the pick up agent still have some other stuffs to pick up for me, I will be looking forward to hear back from you ASAP. Also, you are to get back to me with your PayPal email address with your full name as you have it on PayPal.Thanks"

NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOOOOOOOOOPE.

Their poor writing skills should have been a tip-off for me from the beginning, so I shouldn't even have responded in the first place, but I didn't want to lose a sale, just in case it was a grammatically-challenged customer.

Beware the [Be Alert] Grammar!

Brenda
12-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah, for sure. As soon as they start talking about "the item" and having an "agent" coming to pick it up. Being a Marine Engineer and away at sea is a new one, though. And saying it's for a relative as well.

RobinHoodFan
12-15-2015, 09:24 PM
There's another thread about a craigs list posting that had a VERY similar message.......! I'm curious though what can they do with your PP email and name?? Unless they will cater a phishing email to you and hope you click on it...that's the only angle I can see there.

Mary
12-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Mod note

TTB does not allow names such as 'scammer', 'ROA', etc., because we can't know the whole back story and real intent.

TTB has to remain consistent even when the nature of the problem seems obvious.

It was probably a mistake to allow these descriptions in a previous thread ... I hope that did not confuse anyone that the rules don't apply.

RobinHoodFan
12-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Not sure why it's OK on the other thread for everyone to say it was a scam but not here on a thread that also had practically the exact same email the oP got? The first reply as well as multiple others in the other thread from other members was the exact same sentence I used here that was modded out...:confused: Why does the other thread get a "waiver' in your words and this one doesn't?

IMHO the rules should apply everywhere and the other thread should also be moderated and edited if you're going to edit here.

Zafirica Studios
12-16-2015, 03:45 PM
The marine engineer line was new to me, too! Sorry Mary, didn't mean to break any rules!

Mary
12-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Not sure why it's OK on the other thread for everyone to say it was a scam but not here on a thread that also had practically the exact same email the oP got? The first reply as well as multiple others in the other thread from other members was the exact same sentence I used here that was modded out...:confused: Why does the other thread get a "waiver' in your words and this one doesn't?

IMHO the rules should apply everywhere and the other thread should also be moderated and edited if you're going to edit here.

That's the problem, isn't it. :hubba

There is no way to say "just this one time" to a group. Some get that - others don't.