PDA

View Full Version : I need help. My horse arrived in terrible condition, what do I do?

Ezkabach
01-13-2016, 06:08 PM
I purchased a Danaway Tango off of ebay a few days ago. I'm not naming the seller yet because I haven't started anything...but he arrived with a broken ear which most likely fell off outside, as both ears were stabbing through the box. He also has numerous black marks on his front legs, deep scratches on his back and scuffs on his chin. In the auction he was described as "perfect condition, no marks or scratches". I looked at the pics closely and only saw one small pinpoint scratch on the face, which I was fine with. I saw no other marks and I looked closely.

Here are some pics of how he arrived....

Ezkabach
01-13-2016, 06:13 PM
And here are some pics of the box, he was only wrapped in light shredded paper and here is where his ears stabbed through the box multiple times. 128904128905128906128907

I just don't know what to do. This has never happened to me before, but I knew the more I buy the more of a chance I had of falling into this situation. :/

I do want to keep him, I think I could try and fix his broken ear with apoxie but that would mean ordering some and going through trial and error. We've also had a snowstorm up here and the roads are just crap, my post office is very far from me.

Should I ask for a partial refund? I did pay $12 shipping, if she would refund the shipping costs I'd be fine. But this is unacceptable. I paid for a near mint horse and got a body. What should I do? please help!

-Shelby Williams

emt8134
01-13-2016, 06:15 PM
OK. Send your photos to the seller through eBay messages and request a small refund for damage. Be clear you are willing to accept the horse as he is. Give the seller 1-2 days to respond . So sorry it happened and good luck! Kim

Beethovens7th
01-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Seller said perfect condition. That poor horse looks like he scarcely escaped the glue factory. :ppplease i'd ship him back and you should get a full refund plus the shipping expenses back to the seller. i am sure there are nicer Danaways out there. :) i am so sorry he's in so bad a shape. :(

Ezkabach
01-13-2016, 06:35 PM
I emailed the seller about it, explaining the situation through ebay. Waiting for a response.

I want to keep him just because his price was about all my leftover budget could afford right about now and, I don't show. I think I can clean him up a bit but we will see. It's a huge hassle for me to get to the nearest PO right now, which is why I don't sell, and I'm super busy with college. Ugh! This is the second major hobby issue I've had in the last couple months. Karma doesn't like me lately.

I'll update when I get a response...thanks everyone for your support. Wish I didn't have to ask you wonderful people for advice in these situations but I'm so glad you're here for it.

-Shelby Williams

Ezkabach
01-13-2016, 06:39 PM
Update: She replied.

She seems very disappointed and took responsibility for it. She says the package was insured and is going to get a claim from USPS and refund me that amount. I am okay with that, I don't want to make a huge deal out of this.

Is this the right thing to do?

-Shelby

Beethovens7th
01-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Update: She replied.

She seems very disappointed and took responsibility for it. She says the package was insured and is going to get a claim from USPS and refund me that amount. I am okay with that, I don't want to make a huge deal out of this.

Is this the right thing to do?

-Shelby
Yes, it is and i am thankful she insured him! :yes

Ezkabach
01-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Alright. Thanks guys so much! I'll let you all know how it works out. I feel ten times better.

Beethovens7th
01-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Alright. Thanks guys so much! I'll let you all know how it works out. I feel ten times better.

That's good! :yaymiller i love it when things work out! So sad when a pony comes all roughed up!

FourWindsFarm
01-13-2016, 07:37 PM
If you speak to her again, might want to mention that wrapping the horse thoroughly in several layers of bubble wrap will prevent this from happening again. That shredded paper packaging is worthless. I'm glad you got it straightened out.

Silverfang07
01-13-2016, 08:55 PM
If you speak to her again, might want to mention that wrapping the horse thoroughly in several layers of bubble wrap will prevent this from happening again. That shredded paper packaging is worthless. I'm glad you got it straightened out.

I had a box destroyed by the dumb postal service's sorting thingy...but everyone survived unscathed due to my ridiculous bubble wrapping.......

So yes, I second this :D

RRStudios
01-13-2016, 09:40 PM
I had a box destroyed by the dumb postal service's sorting thingy...but everyone survived unscathed due to my ridiculous bubble wrapping.......

So yes, I second this :D

Yup, proper packing will do wonders even if the box gets roughed up. I've had people send me horses very thinly packed, crammed in too small boxes, and that's when damage happens. I always let them know as sort of a "teaching moment" and every. single. time. they make excuses..."I didn't ship them, my sister did", etc. or they like to blame the postal service. If you pack it correctly, nothing short of driving over it will damage the contents.

Sorry you had this happen, Shelby. At least it was insured! You will likely get a full refund of the purchase price (if that's what she insured it for), plus whatever she paid to ship it. That's what happened when I had an insured model break in transit (through no fault of the seller, who packed it exceptionally well...it was a vintage model traveling from Florida to Michigan in the winter and the temperature change was too extreme for it to handle).

Ezkabach
01-13-2016, 10:25 PM
I did explain to her that shredded paper is not adequate packaging for a model horse, they are not toys, and most of the time these models sell to serious collectors. I did say that in a nice way though. I also let her know that bubble wrap and packing peanuts are a good place to start. She seems very reasonable and will hopefully get back to me after she gets a hold of the PO.

I usually buy from collectors so I've never had this happen before, even if the box arrives damaged as hell the superb packing jobs of collectors saves the model as mentioned above.

I also had two other models arrive today, a QVC SR Zippo and a glossy fall othello who was packed so nicely it took me forever to get him out! None of those were damaged at all, even having come from California to the icy cold Michigan winter. So. I think she may have just been ignorant of good model packing policies. I'm glad it is being resolved.

I hope this doesn't happen again but, I always see stories on here about people's models breaking in the mail and it is truly heartbreaking.

Mini madness
01-19-2016, 06:34 AM
I've read so many posts of sellers chastizing eBay for being dishonest and completely favoring buyers. I haven't had that experience (yet) but I can vouch for the fact that when a.) the model in the picture is not the one you get shipped, b.) the model arrives in bad condition, c.) the seller takes your money and drops off the face of the earth, eBay customer service will come through. I never want to cause trouble, but if I pay my money I want my pony, no games, no 'you got lucky on the auction and got him for too cheap', no excuses. I always contact the seller (or try to) at least once, usually two or three times, but if I get nowhere eBay is getting called in. I've bought enough on eBay to say if the customer service wasn't as good as it it, I would no longer shop on eBay.

Silverfang07
01-20-2016, 02:51 AM
I didn't even bother leaving feedback on one item- was supposed to be s CB and I was given a Wixom.
I emailed them but never got a response. Cut my losses and just kept the Wixom body. Figure I'll make the money back but still.... I didn't even recall Wixom being in their store? :confused:

Eviejean
02-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Was just reading this thread and wondered what your outcome was with the seller who didn't pack properly?

Drenarrow
02-06-2016, 06:06 PM
I'm glad you are getting things worked out with the seller, and I'm sorry this happened to you!

Now, about that chipped ear! There is no need for apoxie, you can fix them right up with non-gel super glue and baking soda!
Breyer has a tutorial here: https://www.breyerhorses.com/index.php?pageId=1801 But instead of a dremel to shape the ears, I just use a few files and a bit of sandpaper.
You can probably wash some of those marks off, and since it looks like most of them are on his legs, you could carefully use a magic eraser (on his white only!). The other ear looks like it just needs a dab of paint...Good luck with him, I think he's such a cutie!

Brenda
02-06-2016, 06:24 PM
The last item I bought from eBay, the seller did use a layer of bubble wrap and a few peanuts, but the box they used would've comfortably fit 6 traditional models. It's a wonder he arrived in good shape.

Hopefully things will work out in a way the OP is happy with.

BuckR.
02-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Just want to add, I'm really kind of suspicious that the seller is balking at refunding you until she gets her claim through USPS. USPS won't refund her her money unless she has the horse, and even then, it's a toss up. But if it drags out over 3 months (which it may very well do), neither eBay or Paypal will give a refund, and you can't do anything about it. I've had horses break in the mail. I've usually had the buyer send the horse back, and then I immediately refund them and then go to USPS to get my claim. Remember, insurance is for the seller's protection, not the buyer's. Its not your fault if the horse arrives damaged.

Ezkabach
02-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Oh darn, I've been so super busy I forgot I didn't update this thread!

She sent me a full refund about 3 weeks ago. No questions asked and I gave her appropriate feedback, along with some packing advice. Whatever she did for USPS, she did give me the full amount plus shipping refunded. So I'm happy with it. I still need to figure out a way to repair his ear though. :(

Eviejean
02-09-2016, 06:54 PM
So glad you got one of the 'good' sellers.
Not in the way she packaged of course but that:
She sent me a full refund about 3 weeks ago. No questions asked
Good Luck repairing his ear!