PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Castaway Farms Equine Creations

JohyH
08-28-2016, 12:14 AM
Hello Everyone!
I've been a member of Blab for a few years now and I'm finally at a point where I feel comfortable advertising my horses So I'd like to reintroduce myself. :toothy Plus I think if I don't try to make my hobby pay for itself a little my husband might divorce me Lol! (I'm kidding!) Let me tell you a little about myself.

I've been collecting for 30 years now! My first model horse was Legionario III (AKA Crystal Lake). I still have him (her) and the poor thing has been through the wringer! Broken leg from a friend, teeth marks from a dog, and little bits of paint from a CM job that I never got completely off. I did a few basic custom paint jobs as a teenager but at that age I thought painting Breyers almost sacrilegious! I collected lightly through the years, but my collection really started to blossom when I joined Blab and the CC. And I also rediscovered customizing! Now, I've never been very good at painting (I'm still not....unless it's a building :toothy) but I've always loved drawing and I'm not terrible at it (not great, but not terrible either :toothy). I've discovered I have a great love and a bit of talent at doing deco etchies. And earlier this year I was asked by a Breyer representative to do one of my state themed deco etchies for the BF Silent Auction (He was #15)! It was such an amazing honor and so exciting to see people's reactions to him all weekend at Breyerest. And to top off the weekend his predecessor, the horse who got the attention of Breyer, placed in a really big CM Deco class at the BF Open Show!

My husband has been after me for a while to try and sell some of my CMs and after getting great response to a FB post recently added to the response from BF I decided to give it a go. I haven't invested the time or energy into a web site yet but I did start a FB page just for CFEC (Castaway Farms Equine Creations). To get my page a good starting boost I'm starting things off with a giveaway. When I get to 150 likes I will be sending a random fan an etched SM foal (please see the page for more details). And I'm covering shipping too so you have nothing to lose!!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to see you over on the FB page. I'll post on Blab too but probably not as often as I will on the FB page.
Johannah Harris-Spencer
https://www.facebook.com/CastawayFarmsEC/

*Pictured is my current project and very possibly my first "official" sales piece. I'm calling her A Passion For Paisley*

Some other fun Model Horse facts about me:
Favorite Mold: Sherman Morgan
# of Breyerfests: Two and One BreyerWest
Biggest Conga: Lady Phase (currently at 19)
Favorite Breed: Appaloosa
Favorite Deco Color: Silver Filigree (followed closely by gold and then anything Translucent)

texxdog
08-28-2016, 07:55 AM
:clap

Schnauzer
08-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Wow, that is a cool pattern. I wish you the very best of luck in your business adventure.
Ann

ALemon
08-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Yay for you !!!!!! That's Awesome!!!!!

champagnehorses
08-28-2016, 03:06 PM
:cheer You always create very cool models!

FourWindsFarm
08-29-2016, 04:15 PM
That paisley pattern is perfect for next year's BF theme :-)

JohyH
08-29-2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm kind of nervous about it but it's exciting too :toothy

That paisley pattern is perfect for next year's BF theme :-)
I know right!?! I'm already torn between selling her and hoping the new owner takes her or keeping her and try entering in the Best Custom contest next year. I don't even KNOW if I'm going to BF but I want to.

CMY
08-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Your work is very cool!

Northern Lone Ranger
08-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Very cool JohyH! I was able to drool over your Kentucky etchie (Breyerfest silent auction horse) at a show last Sat. It is wicked cool and much more impressive in person!

Lindy P

JohyH
08-31-2016, 01:49 PM
Very cool JohyH! I was able to drool over your Kentucky etchie (Breyerfest silent auction horse) at a show last Sat. It is wicked cool and much more impressive in person!
Lindy P

You got to see him? That is So cool! I got to meet his new owner as she was waiting to pick him up (Susan I want to say?) :toothy Was she showing him? Do you know if he placed? That really makes me feel good to hear you say that :adore You and Lea are the reason I started etching in the first place.

I got the second paisley pattern done. I'm really liking the paint on this model. There is a silver undercoat and, while it takes almost twice as long, if I'm very careful I can just scrape off the black/grey paint and the silver is staying. I can tell when I go through the silver paint because it looks like I missed a spot of the black/grey paint! Lol! I think that if I work it just right I can use that to my advantage and have a "tri colored" picture. We shall see. I'm struggling with the placement of the third picture right now. But! Just while I was typing that I had an idea so time to erase and redraw. I swear sometimes it takes longer to draw the rough draft than it does to etch it Lol!

Northern Lone Ranger
08-31-2016, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=JohyH;2838670]You got to see him? That is So cool! I got to meet his new owner as she was waiting to pick him up (Susan I want to say?) :toothy Was she showing him? Do you know if he placed? That really makes me feel good to hear you say that :adore You and Lea are the reason I started etching in the first place.QUOTE]

I did get to see him! I didn't get to meet his owner as he was in the ring being judged and I was judging another division. I think he won the class. Of course I didn't get any photos because I'm an idiot, ha!

Awww.... thanks!

Lindy P

HorseTender
09-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Your work is really cool! I just went and Liked your FB page. :) I have yet to try an etchie and doubt I could EVER do that kind of detail on one. Wow, just wow!

Eleda
09-17-2016, 09:38 AM
Looks great! Good luck with your sales. I think you'll do very well!

Half Fast Farms
10-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Wow. Love the delicate way you let the silver show. Just beautiful work.

dizzyriss
10-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Beautiful work! You do have an amazing talent!