PDA

View Full Version : ANYONE BUYING FROM A CANADIAN PLEASE TAKE NOTE - PAYPAL CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jettabar99
10-25-2016, 03:19 PM
I AM VERY VERY VERY TICKED RIGHT NOW.
i just got off the phone with paypal and they cant help me but at least they explained the change they made in the past 3 weeks.

If you are making a payment to a Canadian seller (like me) please not only send the money in US Funds but please select the option to NOT AUTOMATICALLY CONVERT THE MONEY TO THE SELLERS FUNDS.

i use my paypal account for model horse buying in USD and now i have to pay the transaction between US and Canadian twice!!!!

Canadians - you can also use the "request money" option instead as that apparently works

:1hammer:1hammer:1hammer:1hammer:1hammer:1hammer:1 hammer:1hammer:1hammer:1hammer:1hammer:1hammer

isalrae
10-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Wait... you have to pay it twice??

I am currently making payments to a Canadian seller, the first payment I sent it was automatically checked to go to them in CAD but I switched it to USD (because the automatically converted CAD amount was technically less USD than they were asking for). But if you paid it first in CAD and it was less, can't you just make up the small difference in another payment? Why pay it twice completely? Unless that's not what you mean. Sounds confusing!

jettabar99
10-25-2016, 03:34 PM
Wait... you have to pay it twice??

I am currently making payments to a Canadian seller, the first payment I sent it was automatically checked to go to them in CAD but I switched it to USD (because the automatically converted CAD amount was technically less USD than they were asking for). But if you paid it first in CAD and it was less, can't you just make up the small difference in another payment? Why pay it twice completely? Unless that's not what you mean. Sounds confusing!

Yes - you now (as of the last few weeks) have to not only send in USD but you have to make a 2nd selection to assure it doesnt convert to canadian currency when it comes to us. You will know its wrong if you see it in canadian as well

This is BEYOND stupid. We had no warnings and they wont reinburse us. All our model stuff is in USD and so far paypal has allowed for this to be smooth. Paying the conversion rate twice is very painful

isalrae
10-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Man that sucks! Especially if it's been perfectly fine this whole time and now has had a wrench thrown in it. Thanks for the heads up though, I will definitely keep this in mind when making my next payment.

saddlebredlover
10-25-2016, 04:57 PM
That's just so wrong!

juliacodeman
10-25-2016, 05:40 PM
I am so confused about this. I've sent money in USD, and the person messaged me and said it came to her and converted and was more than she thought it would be because of the conversion rate...so how does this issue happen again? I'm just not understanding this. Thanks!

powerslidingstop
10-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Ahh, so that's what happened.

PayPal ---> :flamed

:hugg

Truson
10-26-2016, 12:22 AM
Thankfully the person I just sent to mentioned they were coming into the US soon so I sent it in US dollars figuring they could use it!

jettabar99
10-26-2016, 08:37 AM
Its a new option that Paypal added a few weeks ago. You, as the payer, have to select an option to not convert to local currency. This never happened in the past.

QUOTE=juliacodeman;2860922]I am so confused about this. I've sent money in USD, and the person messaged me and said it came to her and converted and was more than she thought it would be because of the conversion rate...so how does this issue happen again? I'm just not understanding this. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Raventyde
10-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Awww man, Paypal... why you do this? :gaah

Is this on ALL international transactions, or specifically a Canada-US thing, I wonder?

jettabar99
10-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Awww man, Paypal... why you do this? :gaah

Is this on ALL international transactions, or specifically a Canada-US thing, I wonder?

its for all countries as far as i know. Its just a new option that automatically converts to the local currency unless the buyer selects otherwise. Had a nice conversation with the "lovely" paypal help person (after many messages). I asked her to fix my existing ones in teh past few weeks and said the only way to do that is to refund the money and have it resent - i finally hung up and spoke to the wall as it was more helpful

This now guarantees them their high conversion charges for each payment put thru - good business move for them

juliacodeman
10-26-2016, 01:24 PM
Oh, okay now I understand. My seller didn't realize that I was paying in USD, so she was excited to get the payment which ended up being more than the Canadian dollars she was asking for, for the item. When I jokingly asked for a refund of the difference she then exclaimed, oh no! I meant to say that was the price...ha! That's funny....

So what does paypal charge for a conversion rate? Is it the 2.9% plus .30 cents that is higher on the Canadian side if you don't click the box to not convert? And, do most of you that do business in the US prefer that they money stays in USD format? I don't have a problem checking the box if so.

Raventyde
10-26-2016, 05:31 PM
I certainly keep all my USD funds in USD; paypal essentially acts as my US bank account. And since pretty much everything I buy online is from the US, it would represent a HUGE loss to first have it converted to Canadian, then back into USD, the next time I want to make a payment...

jettabar99
10-26-2016, 06:18 PM
We still pay the paypal fees, but on top of that there are the conversion fees that a bank (but more) would charge to change money from one currency to another. I am unsure of the exact rate but its nasty.

Oh, okay now I understand. My seller didn't realize that I was paying in USD, so she was excited to get the payment which ended up being more than the Canadian dollars she was asking for, for the item. When I jokingly asked for a refund of the difference she then exclaimed, oh no! I meant to say that was the price...ha! That's funny....

So what does paypal charge for a conversion rate? Is it the 2.9% plus .30 cents that is higher on the Canadian side if you don't click the box to not convert? And, do most of you that do business in the US prefer that they money stays in USD format? I don't have a problem checking the box if so.

SeaWatch
10-26-2016, 06:53 PM
I have had to pay that transaction fee on Paypal whenever I make purchases from Horsing Around UK, and Donna Chaney -- I always pretty much knew that I would have to pay that fee because they require that their payments be made in British Pounds.

However, I was not aware that you could now make the choice about having your USD funds converted to the country's currency.

VWK'sanEasyGoer
10-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Kind of suck for Paypal to do this. Just another money grab for them. The exchange rate they offer is not a great one compared to the actual daily bank exchange rate. Now this way they'll make a couple more bucks on transactions.

Thanks for posting this Lisa. I will be more diligent in the future.

SmallTownDreams
10-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Kind of suck for Paypal to do this. Just another money grab for them. The exchange rate they offer is not a great one compared to the actual daily bank exchange rate. Now this way they'll make a couple more bucks on transactions.

Thanks for posting this Lisa. I will be more diligent in the future.

Agreed! Thanks for sharing Lisa.

texxdog
10-26-2016, 10:34 PM
I feel so bad about this. :cry I had no idea that PayPal gave an unfair conversion rate. I figured PayPal had it tied to daily bank rate exchanged. I had no idea.

SeaWatch
10-27-2016, 10:46 AM
I feel so bad about this. :cry I had no idea that PayPal gave an unfair conversion rate. I figured PayPal had it tied to daily bank rate exchanged. I had no idea.

Unfortunately, this true. :tsktsk I noticed that a long time ago when paying for models from the UK in British Pounds. Paypal doesn't convert at the current daily rate, and always seems to charge higher. The alternative would be to just use a credit card, as Horsing Around accepts those... But, most credit cards (not all of them) will charge a transaction fee as well. :(

Eviejean
10-27-2016, 02:19 PM
This must have just recently happened.
I had sent a payment to Rayvin Brewer's Khrysalis Studio on 10/2 that was in US dollars and I don't recall seeing any place to check off for automatically converting the funds to the sellers type of funds...

Kinda underhanded of Paypal to do this, IMHO. :grump
Especially without some type of notification!

ICSpots
01-30-2017, 08:01 AM
Folks - how do I keep PP from doing the auto exchange? I found something under 'manage currencies' - the box to select USD was unchecked, do I need to check that to send internationally without the auto conversion? I need to send a payment to a seller in Mexico - how do I do that without the auto conversion? Help, please! I don't want to screw something up.

Mary
01-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Just a note this thread has been moved to TTB to make it more noticeable for those doing transactions across the Canadian border. :)

jettabar99
01-30-2017, 03:57 PM
Just a note on how to do this. When you are in paypal and entering the amount it will say in a pulldown that you are paying in USD (for me it says Canadian and i have to change it). On teh right there is a 2nd pulldown box with how much they will receive. Change that to USD as well. So the amount you are paying should be the same as what they are receiving.

Lora
01-31-2017, 05:38 AM
Same thing happened than people paid me , they told me they cold only sent money in pounds. I take the money of my Pay Pal account anyway and transfer it to my nank account so it doesn't worry me too much. also i don't have a US-$-balance only

Ulla Harneit

ICSpots
01-31-2017, 07:17 AM
Just a note on how to do this. When you are in paypal and entering the amount it will say in a pulldown that you are paying in USD (for me it says Canadian and i have to change it). On teh right there is a 2nd pulldown box with how much they will receive. Change that to USD as well. So the amount you are paying should be the same as what they are receiving.

Thank you, Lisa!

jettabar99
01-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Same thing happened than people paid me , they told me they cold only sent money in pounds. I take the money of my Pay Pal account anyway and transfer it to my nank account so it doesn't worry me too much. also i don't have a US-$-balance only

Ulla Harneit

They can send money in any currency they choose. They just have to "choose" it from the drop down box. I can send money in UK which means i pay the conversion fee first and then it goes to the client in whatever currency i pick from the 2nd box (which most likely would be UK unless i am a sucker for paying fees!)

BTW i got all this info on a ticked off call with a Paypal rep who 'splained it all to me

ICSpots
01-31-2017, 05:48 PM
They can send money in any currency they choose. They just have to "choose" it from the drop down box. I can send money in UK which means i pay the conversion fee first and then it goes to the client in whatever currency i pick from the 2nd box (which most likely would be UK unless i am a sucker for paying fees!)

BTW i got all this info on a ticked off call with a Paypal rep who 'splained it all to me

So, who ends up paying the conversion fee(s), if there are any?

Raventyde
02-01-2017, 09:49 AM
The buyer ends up paying the conversion fees, via their high exchange rate.

I posted this walk-through in the other thread, but I'll post it here again for everyone to see :)

Paypal-ing Across Borders :randommil

When you go to make a payment to someone in a different country, your payment screen looks like this:

https://s23.postimg.org/e4vpkmaq3/choose_payment.jpg

Your currency on one side, their home currency automatically entered on the other.

However, since she wants payment in USD, use the drop down menu on the recipient's side to choose the currency.
Once selected, type the amount into her box. Your side will automatically change per PP's exchange rate:

https://s28.postimg.org/gdyqfbfnh/confirm_payment.jpg

(so, because USD is higher than CAD, I would be paying more CAD here, obviously!)

If you're sending to someone in the same country as you, but want a different currency, the drop down box is underneath:

https://s27.postimg.org/q1s3sp9tv/same_payment.jpg

(... not that this is likely an issue for anyone within the US, since the USD seems to be the universal internet currency ;) )

The new "automatic currency selection" is a pretty slimy addition on the part of Paypal, since they then scoop their (high) transaction fee off every inter-country payment. And if you didn't notice it, it's really easy to miss! I pretty much need to remind all buyers these days to watch what paypal does. It's a pain, yes, but paypal is still the most convenient way to receive payment!

ICSpots
02-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Ok, I've just been through the PP wringer, but thankfully it seems to have come out ok on the other side.

The above graphics are very helpful but it might be worth mentioning (speaking from my experience) that if you live in the US and want to send someone in another country funds in USD, you type in the amount you want to send in the left-hand column; then engage the drop-down menu in the right-hand column and change it to 'USD' (it will automatically be set to the currency in the country in which your recipient lives). What it did to me was then to automatically change the amount I had typed into the left-hand column into the currency for the other country (this was not good in my case). So, I finally learned that you need to RE-ENTER the amount you want to send in the left-hand column, and then the correct amount of USD will show up in both columns. If anyone needs help with this, let me know - I can try to explain it but if you do it this way, it's very easy. You just have to remember to RE-ENTER the amount in the left-hand column after changing the right-hand column to 'USD'. Very important detail that I missed the first time.

Raventyde
02-01-2017, 02:17 PM
If you just select USD (or the desired currency) in the right-hand column FIRST (before you type anything into the left), and enter the required amount in that same coloumn too, it will automatically put the amount you'd pay in your home currency into the left-hand coloumn; no need to enter twice. (That's what the second pic is showing). Unless you're describing something different? I'm not in the US obviously, so if there's a further complication for US people, I'd love you to share pics so I can better guide my buyers through this paypal mess :lol

ICSpots
02-01-2017, 02:31 PM
If you just select USD (or the desired currency) in the right-hand column FIRST (before you type anything into the left), and enter the required amount in that same coloumn too, it will automatically put the amount you'd pay in your home currency into the left-hand coloumn; no need to enter twice. (That's what the second pic is showing). Unless you're describing something different? I'm not in the US obviously, so if there's a further complication for US people, I'd love you to share pics so I can better guide my buyers through this paypal mess :lol

That would probably work too, but I didn't try it that way - Lisa was emailing me to try and help me, and said she found she had to do the re-enter process I described so that's what I did. Just speaking from my experience. I hadn't seen your post when I got snarled up in this whole thing this AM or I would have tried it the way you explained.

FWIW, the fellow at the PP securities and limitations department of PP was VERY helpful and seemed to know what he was talking about and how to help me. Unlike the other person I spoke to earlier at PP.

Whew - it was scary and frustrating there for a while! :gaah :randommil

Raventyde
02-01-2017, 02:55 PM
So what we need, is a few more test subjects to varify this whole snafu :hubba

Oh, paypal..... glad you got everything to work!

ICSpots
02-01-2017, 04:14 PM
So what we need, is a few more test subjects to varify this whole snafu :hubba

Oh, paypal..... glad you got everything to work!

Well, in a couple of weeks I'm going to buy something else from the same seller and we'll see if your method works, of changing the right-hand column before entering the amount of $$ in the left-hand column ;)

Me too, but it was scary and frustrating for a while :tantrum

FriesianFury
02-01-2017, 05:02 PM
This all sounds like a nasty headache

ICSpots
02-01-2017, 05:22 PM
This all sounds like a nasty headache

It was for me but once you know what to do it is very easy, as Lisa said. And I guess it saves the seller a lot in fees so it's worth doing.

jettabar99
02-02-2017, 01:36 PM
rocket science 101