PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what I should do about this... Some input is appreciated.

Eviejean
11-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Today I was looking at the RESIN HORSE EDITIONS site, which I think is a great and helpful reference site.

My problem is this:
As I was looking around the site, I happened to notice that there are two photos posted that are my photos, used without my knowledge or permission that were taken from the Equine Resin Directory.
Both are unpainted resin horses I own, photographed by me and posted on the ERD but no where else.

Should I contact the owner of the Resin Horse Editions site and explain that they have used my photos without permission and ask them to remove them?
Or should I let them keep the photos on their site as long as they give me photo credit for them?

In the meantime I'm revamping my photos on the Equine Resin Directory by adding watermarks to them.
That's going to take a while so I'll have to delete most everything until I get it all finished.

But that doesn't address the photos already taken...:sigh

Mary
11-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Moving this to TTB, even though it isn't a transaction, exactly.

Advice for Eviejean?

I know you definitely need to take some action to assert and protect your ownership, to help establish your position as owner of ALL of your photos that appear on the web. It may not be a financial loss now, but since you didn't intend to toss your photos out to the world to use as anyone wishes, part of keeping your rights to them is defending them. :)

As you put your mark on your photos, take note of those photographers using noticeable, distinctive designs that are placed in the most visually interesting part of the photo so it can't be cropped away. :yes

Eviejean
11-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Moving this to TTB, even though it isn't a transaction, exactly.

Advice for Eviejean?

I know you definitely need to take some action to assert and protect your ownership, to help establish your position as owner of ALL of your photos that appear on the web. It may not be a financial loss now, but since you didn't intend to toss your photos out to the world to use as anyone wishes, part of keeping your rights to them is defending them. :)

As you put your mark on your photos, take note of those photographers using noticeable, distinctive designs that are placed in the most visually interesting part of the photo so it can't be cropped away. :yes

Thanks for moving this Mary.
I pondered for a while, just where exactly to post it.

Mary
11-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Thanks for moving this Mary.
I pondered for a while, just where exactly to post it.

No worries. It is sort of general for Lookers, but TTB is a good place to sort out potential complaints against others in the hobby. Sorry you are dealing wih this, good luck with it. :)

Gilder
11-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Definitely contact the owners and let them know what you want done with your photos. I believe they have a "do you have photos? upload them!" policy with no questions asked.

isalrae
11-03-2016, 11:33 PM
You have full rights over those images and you can certainly tell the owner of the site to take them down or put in credit, and they must do so by law. Part of my job requires us to use a lot of images off the web, but we are always extremely careful to use only photos that we have permission to, or are under public use/creative commons, and always with credit. If we accidentally use an image without permission and the original photographer requests them to be taken down, we HAVE to take those photos down or risk a copyright strike. You are within your full rights to ask for the images to be removed or properly credited - so by all means, do so!

They're your images, and were uploaded to that site without your knowledge or consent, nor anywhere stating that your images were free to use. Let them know.

RobinHoodFan
11-04-2016, 11:13 AM
I don't think it was intentionally done in malice or intended to say they're their own. It's another reference/educational/knowlege site just like the ERD and a great source for the hobby. I use it frequently! I would just politely contact them and ask to remove the ones without the copyright and use the new ones with the copyright instead. She's actually very good about that IIRC.

Actually, looking into it real quick, using copyrighted material for educational purposes seems to be considered "fair use" in most cases.

What Is an “Educational Use”?

The educational fair use guidelines apply to material used in educational institutions and for educational purposes. Examples of “educational institutions” include K-12 schools, colleges, and universities. Libraries, museums, hospitals, and other nonprofit institutions also are considered educational institutions under most educational fair use guidelines when they engage in nonprofit instructional, research, or scholarly activities for educational purposes.
“Educational purposes” are:

noncommercial instruction or curriculum-based teaching by educators to students at nonprofit educational institutions
planned noncommercial study or investigation directed toward making a contribution to a field of knowledge, or
presentation of research findings at noncommercial peer conferences, workshops, or seminars.

In this case I think it would fall under the second bullet point. She's not making money or selling anything so it's really about contributing to a greater knowledge. Of course I always think it's best to site where you got your source from but not sure if she legally has to? I dunno...copyright rules get tricky...but you do still have the right to ask them to remove the photos if you wish since you do own the copyright for them.

Anyway, but yes, always watermark your photos posted on the interwebs if you don't want them stolen. If they were on the ERD, anyone could share and use those so I'm sure if it's a popular resin or image, they're not just only on her site ;)

Even watermaking sometimes isn't enough. If you really don't want things stolen, don't post them online. I've had people cut my copyright out of the image and even add their own copyright above mine! :eek So now I have to put my watermark in an area that's not easy to get cut off which sometimes can look obnoxious...but I'd rather share them than not. As long as they're not making money off of them or taking credit for them, or cutting my copyright off or putting their own on it, I fine with it. The more eyes on my work, the better! You just have to protect yourself the best you can and watermarking everything is a good start! :)

Eviejean
11-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the input ladies!

I agree Christina, I never thought it was intentionally, or maliciously done or intended to say they're they were hers, it was just disconcerting to see some of my photos included a public site.

I've always used a script or formula (or whatever you want to call it) on my eBay auctions to block the ability of anyone to right-click and save a photo but never gave it a thought as a deterrent on the ERD (if that can even be done). And I'm totally at fault for not watermarking or adding a copywrite to my photos... That's been rectified, NOW.

*sigh* 'closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out'
As the saying goes.

LadyPhaseCrazy
11-04-2016, 02:11 PM
:yeahthat :yes

RobinHoodFan
11-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the input ladies!

I agree Christina, I never thought it was intentionally, or maliciously done or intended to say they're they were hers, it was just disconcerting to see some of my photos included a public site.

I've always used a script or formula (or whatever you want to call it) on my eBay auctions to block the ability of anyone to right-click and save a photo but never gave it a thought as a deterrent on the ERD (if that can even be done). And I'm totally at fault for not watermarking or adding a copywrite to my photos... That's been rectified, NOW.

*sigh* 'closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out'
As the saying goes.
FWIW disabling right click does nothing but annoy good people. I frequently right click to open things in new tabs to look at so I don't lose the page I"m on and I cant do that when the site has it blocked. This is especially annoying when I'm shopping websites or want to look at alot at the same time. I often get so frustrated that I just leave and look somewhere else. ANYONE can take an image from a website with a screen shot regardless if you have it blocked from right clicking or saving or whatnot. ;)

Eviejean
11-04-2016, 07:06 PM
FWIW disabling right click does nothing but annoy good people. I frequently right click to open things in new tabs to look at so I don't lose the page I"m on and I cant do that when the site has it blocked. This is especially annoying when I'm shopping websites or want to look at alot at the same time. I often get so frustrated that I just leave and look somewhere else. ANYONE can take an image from a website with a screen shot regardless if you have it blocked from right clicking or saving or whatnot. ;)
bolded by me

Well that's just plain aggravating!
All this time I thought I was preventing my eBay photos being taken and there were ways around that too! :grump

BearsnBugs
11-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Yeah, right click disabling doesn't work. They can always use the snip it tool and take it that way, too.

FourWindsFarm
11-05-2016, 12:41 PM
I agree. Right-click disabling is annoying and doesn't solve any problems.

Eviejean
11-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Everyone has their own opinion about right-click disabling and if it's annoying or not (to each his or her own). :peace

But back to the issue of photos being taken without my knowledge or permission...
I have since been in contact with Kitty from the Resin Horse Editions site and she has been quite helpful. :thumbsup

Mary
11-06-2016, 12:04 PM
The one thing I will say about right-click disabling is that a screen shot will not be the quality of saving the posted image, so right-click-disable accomplishes that much, at least. However, I don't know that this will discourage anyone who is truly intent on using the image.

I am in the group that finds right-click disabling annoying in the case when I am shopping or reading articles, as I also right-click to open it in a new tab. It's up to whoever is presenting the site, though, if right-click disables is what they want to do.

The best thing is the watermark, even if it is part of a principal are of the image. Watermarks that have very thin-line designs aren't as distracting to the viewer who only wants to appreciate the photo, sometimes not at all, in my opinion. :)

Ponygirl
11-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Right clicking does nothing for me aside from a temporary annoyance and one can almost always access the full size of any image via most modern browsers with a few clicks. Sorry to say, but it's true. The reason why is that your browser has to receive the image in the first place, loading it into the cache to display it. There are very few ways around it outside of less broadly-compatible display methods (like say, if you upload an image and your website converts it into a Flash file, but Flash isn't mobile-friendly and it's also kind of outdated and not a secure file system, so less and less places use it). In fact I often open the image by itself because I am curious to see if it'll display any bigger so I can see more details, like if someone has uploaded an image that's 1200 pixels long but the page's coding or stylesheet forces it to display at only 800 pixels long. Going to the image directly, I can see it at its full size

Of course, I do also think it's more than a bit rude to just blindly take someone else's art/photo and just plop it on your own site without asking or attributing. :p IMO that is totally NOT okay.