View Full Version : How long to wait...?

12-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Hey all! I need some advice for a transaction I'm currently in. This was the first time I have ever gone into doing time payments for a model, since it was $650, the most I've ever spent on one. It was done in two payments - one in October, and the second on November 1st. I paid both immediately on the agreed days. The communication with the seller was very good throughout the first payment, then slowed during the gap until the second payment, and then it took them four days to respond to me after I sent the final payment. They said they'd get the model shipped on Nov 7th.

And that was it. Since then, I have heard nothing from them. No model, no emails, and I have emailed them a few times now asking if everything was okay (on the 15th, again on the 23rd, and yesterday through FB messenger to see if maybe my emails weren't getting through). It has now been a month since I made the final payment.

This person has all greens as far as I can see, and seem like a fairly trusted hobbyist. I asked on the FB transaction board a week ago if anyone knew if she was active anywhere, and I was told that she had been inactive on FB since the 12th (still after the given ship date). If it wasn't such a large sum of money I'd be less worried. I have waited up to two months for a model before and wasn't too bothered if I still finally received it. But the complete and sudden lack of all communication IS worrying. At the same time, I have no idea what's going on in their life so I don't want to jump the gun and file a claim.

How long do I wait for a response before I do something? Thanks for any advice!

12-01-2016, 10:23 AM
I say file a claim. You have followed-up numerous times. Even when life gets busy, you can send a quick note to someone who sent you $650 (and *any* amount) to say "hey, I am sorry, this is what's going on..." A little communication goes a long way.

Josh Hoffman

12-01-2016, 10:59 AM
I agree that you've waited long enough. Maybe send them an email saying something like "If I don't hear from you within 48 hours [or whatever timeframe you think seems right], I'm going to have to file a claim."

12-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Yep. It's been nearly a month. File a claim.

Aidan's Toy Trove
12-01-2016, 12:41 PM
I believe you now have up to 120 days to file a Paypal Claim but I also recommend opening a case now. You don't have to escalate it right away but the case will be opened and Paypal will send the seller a notice that a claim has been opened. That might light a fire under their rear :toothy

12-01-2016, 01:23 PM
File a claim. If you want to go the polite route, send an email inquiring again and letting them know that if you don't get a response back by xx days and a tracking number in xx days you will open a claim. Opening a claim just gets the ball rolling in the process towards you getting your money back or your model sent. Better to be safe than sorry and out all that money with no model.

12-01-2016, 01:23 PM
In addition to the above: Now and for the future, I suggest that hobbyists always set dates and timeframes in their communications. For instance, something like "I've completed payments ... [details] ... I will be looking forward to receiving her by Nov. 15th! Let me know if that is a reasonable date for you."

If you wanted to give her one more chance, let her know that you must have a tracking number within 3 days or you begin the claim. She's not responding at all, and that is not a good sign. I would guess you'll learn something quickly ... and if not, open the claim on Monday.

Even if she has good reputation to date things can change. You have to take care of yourself first.

So sorry you are having to deal with this. It can really take the fun out of a new model. :sad

12-01-2016, 01:26 PM
I think I'll send her one more email with a warning and file on Monday if I haven't heard anything back from her. I don't distrust her, but if she's simply fallen off the face of the planet then I still don't want to be out of $650.

Thank you everyone!

12-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Good luck and keep us posted!

Josh Hoffman

12-01-2016, 05:44 PM
You're being very kind and generous, Leah. I hope she hasn't had a serious medical issue or accident, and I assume that's what you're thinking, too. However, after a month, even if something like that has happened, I'm sure she'd understand that since she couldn't send the model that you'd need your money back. I always like the "within xx days" email because it gives the person a time window and states the consequences of not meeting it. In this case, it's already been so long, I wouldn't give her more than 2 days to respond before saying you'll open a case. I hope the timeframe has been expanded as ATT said, but I know at one time it as only 45 days, so to be safe, I'd make sure to open a case within that time. You can always close the case if she follows through.

12-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Was this resolved? Did you get the horse?

Josh Hoffman

12-06-2016, 04:55 PM
No, I gave them until yesterday to respond before starting a dispute on Paypal. They didn't, so I opened one yesterday. It's been about 24 hours since and no response. I'm giving them until Friday before I escalate it. I don't think I'm going to be getting it :(

12-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Ugh. I am so sorry. At least we have the PayPal protection, but a pony is always fun.

Aidan's Toy Trove
12-06-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm sorry :( But I'm glad that you opened a case. Paypal will take care of you :)

12-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Very grateful for Paypal protection here of course! I still hope they'll get back to me before I have to escalate it, but Paypal only gave me until Christmas to resolve the case or it will automatically close and I won't be able to reopen it. And since I'm leaving in two weeks for an overseas trip that I won't be back from until mid January, I want to be done and over with this before I go so I don't have to worry about it then. I feel bad as I've never had to do this before, but it's a lot of money, and I just hope whatever is going on with them and keeping them from getting back to me isn't anything too serious.

12-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Be sure to dispute both your payments, the one in November and the one in October...

12-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Thank you, I did. They still haven't done anything and tomorrow is the deadline before I will escalate so... looks like it's definitely being escalated at this point. The other thing is that the Paypal account isn't theirs, it is there spouse's, so I'm not sure if they're seeing the dispute open (but one of them definitely should be). All the emails I send are directly to them, however. I have no idea why neither of them have said or done anything yet.

12-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Update! Couldn't get any more last minute than this, haha. They finally got back to me today, apparently lots have been going on with them (as I thought might be the case) and they DID ship out the box, but didn't realize it was being held at their post office the whole time because of a customs form issue. I haven't escalated the payments yet so as long as they give me the tracking, I'll mark them as resolved and call it good. I didn't THINK they would flake out on me, and I'm just glad they are both okay and the model isn't lost in the mail or something. Phew! Unfortunately, now it's probably going to arrive when I'm out of town, so I won't be back to see it for some weeks. But I do have someone house sitting for me so I don't have to worry about the box sitting out.

So glad this is probably going to end well instead, and I don't have to worry about it anymore. Hoping the model will be worth the wait :)

01-08-2017, 08:29 AM
One last update to this, I'm still out of town but my box-picker-upper did get a box from the seller and I asked them to open it and check the contents, and the model is there and perfect! I would trust this seller again, they just had a lot of real life stuff going on and had no idea the model had never even left the post office. They've been super nice and apologetic since, and I am thrilled with the model in the end.

Phew! Good when everything works out, especially when over half a grand is involved :lol

Aidan's Toy Trove
01-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Awesome! I'm glad that everything worked out in the end. Now where are the pictures?!

01-08-2017, 05:58 PM
I still have to get good pics on my own when I get home, but this is what my box-picker-upper got for me:

And they sent a pic of the COA so I know that's there, too. I'm excited to see him in person!

01-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Certainly very good news! Thanks for the pic! :)

01-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Gorgeous, congrats Leah! I can understand your patience now, he's stunning! I would much rather have him than the money back, lol!

01-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Uhhhhhh HELLO he is stunning! On my "want-but-will-never-have" list. Congrats!

01-09-2017, 05:57 AM
Thank you guys so much!! He was definitely worth the wait. :bigheart

01-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Thank you guys so much!! He was definitely worth the wait. :bigheart
LOVE! and JEALOUS! So glad you got him in safe n sound, though! :bugeyes